The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

game industry

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
The thing is, the icon makes people click. If people never click the icon, they don't get any extra info about the product to convince them to buy. An icon is such a small thing relative to the entire project, but it can have a vastly disproportionate effect compared to the work required. (Also, I think your icon probably is scaring people away from clicking. :( )

I think we should change icon to something better but first we want to update the game for more levels, turn to freemium and if it wont work just move on to another project maybe with cooperation with publisher.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Of those, I like 3 the best, but it doesn't read as that much different from the original one. I'm not artist, but if I could make a couple of suggestions: Redraw the monster with smooth lines instead of the angular ones. When looking at the icon as the size that an icon would be on a phone, the angles make it look like it's badly drawn, at least to me. When zoomed in, I can see what it's supposed to be, but my first impression when glancing at the small icon was very amateur. Also, for the swirls/burst background, choose something that has a greater contrast. I like the blue/white above better than the blue/blue, but it's still pretty much the same color as the monster. The reason that people use those backgrounds is to make the foreground stand out, but for that, you need more contrast. Look at the screenshot you linked here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/at...e-industry-screenshot_2013-02-28-17-59-54.jpg The icons I want to click have a lot of contrast. Just take a look through the app store and see which icons make you want to click them, and try to analyze what they're doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Of those, I like 3 the best, but it doesn't read as that much different from the original one. I'm not artist, but if I could make a couple of suggestions: Redraw the monster with smooth lines instead of the angular ones. When looking at the icon as the size that an icon would be on a phone, the angles make it look like it's badly drawn, at least to me. When zoomed in, I can see what it's supposed to be, but my first impression when glancing at the small icon was very amateur. Also, for the swirls/burst background, choose something that has a greater contrast. I like the blue/white above better than the blue/blue, but it's still pretty much the same color as the monster. The reason that people use those backgrounds is to make the foreground stand out, but for that, you need more contrast. Look at the screenshot you linked here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/at...e-industry-screenshot_2013-02-28-17-59-54.jpg The icons I want to click have a lot of contrast. Just take a look through the app store and see which icons make you want to click them, and try to analyze what they're doing.

I started making new icon heres the progress:

Bez tytdfgdfgułu.jpg

but in the end we decided to stay with 1 for lite and 2 for full version
We made that decision because when I saw this icon
https://play.google.com/store/apps/..._result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsIm1lLnBvdS5hcHAiXQ..

and then once again saw our icons:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...yLDEsImNvbS5Db2RlLlZlcnlMaXR0bGVNb25zdGVycyJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ittleMonstersLite&feature=more_from_developer

I started to think hm hm we need to start marketing and icon is good enough.

So basicly now its time for that 80% called marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
"Differences between entertainment and successfull, entertainment its only how people react to it and dosen’t matter how succesful you were and how hard it was and also they don’t give a shit if it took you 2 seconds or 6 years and 20 gallons of blood

JASON JONES (BUNGIE CO-FOUNDER AND PROJECT DIRECTOR)"

Very Little Monsters Project is considered as failed (2-4 sold units, 28 instalations of free version)
We will update all worlds in next 2 weeks to close it and jump fully with other project, hopefully some good publisher will appear and help with marketing the next game.

Free to play from our web:
vlm.code-software.com

CODE Team, Log out.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
"Differences between entertainment and successfull, entertainment its only how people react to it and dosen’t matter how succesful you were and how hard it was and also they don’t give a shit if it took you 2 seconds or 6 years and 20 gallons of blood

JASON JONES (BUNGIE CO-FOUNDER AND PROJECT DIRECTOR)"

Very Little Monsters Project is considered as failed (2-4 sold units, 28 instalations of free version)
We will update all worlds in next 2 weeks to close it and jump fully with other project, hopefully some good publisher will appear and help with marketing the next game.

Free to play from our web:
vlm.code-software.com

CODE Team, Log out.

Are you fv*king kidding me?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Is there a definite reason you're not going to keep hustling with this particular game? If a game doesn't go viral, is it automatically a failure?
It's a little rough around the edges. I was hoping you'd keep refining it, and keep marketing it. It seems really unpolished.

Can we talk privately? Do you have a text based chat account that we can use to talk real-time? (aim, skype, msn, etc?) I'd like to talkk about working on something with you.

What I would love to see happen in your second game:
1) Keep the core gameplay the same. You're familiar with this 'hostile takeover' concept already.
2) Make the game 2.5D. 2d artwork bouncing around on a 3d board.
3) Invest in a great 2d artist to make these characters even more iconic and recognizable.
4) Add RPG elements. Allow the user to 'level up' and gain new abilities.

-Slingshot ability (flings one unit across the board)
-Self-Destruct (Choose a unit to destroy. Destroys every unit in a 2 space radius)
-Viral Mitosis (Allows duplication of a single unit across 2 spaces. This is like the standard 'jump' move but duplicates instead.

5) Allow the accumulation of currency. Jetpack joyride is a simple game, but currency accumulation and powerups make it an addicting and replayable game.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
Their main problem is that they do not have a marketing strategy in place to get users to even try the game; 28 installs says it all.

It does not matter whether the characters are 3d or had rpg elements or the slingshot ability, or any of that stuff. It would not have made any difference.

At least let's hope they learned a lot from the experience, and maybe the second game launches better. It took rovio 8 years to come with angry birds.

If your strategy for winning in the app store is to build a game and hope it goes viral, that's a lot of effort to put it for basically a lottery ticket. Some people from the industry tried to hint at that, but alas, some lessons are meant to be learned on their own.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Their main problem is that they do not have a marketing strategy in place to get users to even try the game; 28 installs says it all.

This^

Listen, if you don't have a marketing budget, go get a job or sell your body on the corner. If you refuse to get e job becaus eit is degrading to your ego then you don't have enough passion or vision for the future. You could have the best product in the world and nobody would buy it if they don't know it exists, you need to put your product in front of someone before they can buy it?

MARKETING is 85-90% of an app, this has been mentioned before.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia

It does not matter whether the characters are 3d or had rpg elements or the slingshot ability, or any of that stuff. It would not have made any difference.

At least let's hope they learned a lot from the experience, and maybe the second game launches better. It took rovio 8 years to come with angry birds.

If your strategy for winning in the app store is to build a game and hope it goes viral, that's a lot of effort to put it for basically a lottery ticket. Some people from the industry tried to hint at that, but alas, some lessons are meant to be learned on their own.

The game isn't good enough to become a hit even with the proper marketing behind it. I have 3 FREE games already installed on my kindle with the EXACT same gameplay mechanics. They have better presentation, better UI, better graphics.

Without significant differentiation, any marketing budget will be flushing $ down the toilet, they'll never see a ROI because their product just isn't there.

Just because the game's released doesn't mean they're finished with development.

If the gameplay is updated to include RPG elements (which are trending right now among action and arcade style games), the graphics are updated to showcase distinct, brandable, well designed characters and some sort of in-game currency is introduced.. the game will stand a chance.

Marketing is premature until they have a desirable product.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA

PREACH it Nick!

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
So... anybody have some marketing strategy that broke independent game developer can provide? Anybody?

Obvious obviousness are unnecessary and please spare me that kind of comments.

Maybe we don't have any marketing strategies Im sorry for that (keep in mind we are starting our journey) but telling us what we allready know do not change anything, I waste my time on this forum only for the bright persons that can provide some solutions.

In summary if you don't have any solution I can provide straight away, don't waste time for posting some other things.

Thank you,
Dan.

Our main objective? Bring TRAFFIC.

PS. There must be some solution that Publishing companys use.

36361120.jpg

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Social Media Presence - that means 6-10 posts on every outlet daily
Press releases
You tube videos - Game play - game design - concepts - evolution
Articles in magazines

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Social Media Presence - that means 6-10 posts on every outlet daily
Press releases
You tube videos - Game play - game design - concepts - evolution
Articles in magazines

Thank you its great advices, we allready use your examples, I do it all day long since december, well if this is what publisher does then Im on the right track. Thanks again for taking time for reply.

infinitus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Sep 22, 2012
Perth Western Australia
So... anybody have some marketing strategy that broke independent game developer can provide? Anybody?

Obvious obviousness are unnecessary and please spare me that kind of comments.

Maybe we don't have any marketing strategies Im sorry for that (keep in mind we are starting our journey) but telling us what we allready know do not change anything, I waste my time on this forum only for the bright persons that can provide some solutions.

In summary if you don't have any solution I can provide straight away, don't waste time for posting some other things.

Thank you,
Dan.

Our main objective? Bring TRAFFIC.

PS. There must be some solution that Publishing companys use.

View attachment 4871

First thing I would do start thinking strategically not just tactically, and model the leading successes in apps, and integrate any good ideas you get from your research

Make a list of leading innovators and pioneers in marketing, taking start-ups to empires, viral movements, PR etc. People like Jay Abraham, Dan Kennedy, watch episodes of Shark Tank and Dragons Den, and get hold of pioneers in the SEO field -lots of marketing is going in that direction

If you implemented direct marketing systems into what you are currently doing you could explode, go to the Dan Kennedy site and get Bill Glazer's Outrageous Advertising book ( its practically free), this could be an excellent field manual you could use to give you the marketing/pr edge you are looking for

I know the potential in games and that they are outselling movies in many cases, Personally I think most games out there are crap and marketed for people that get off on dumb blocks bouncing off each other, and there is such a lack of innovation its staggering, great opportunities!

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
First thing I would do start thinking strategically not just tactically, and model the leading successes in apps, and integrate any good ideas you get from your research

Make a list of leading innovators and pioneers in marketing, taking start-ups to empires, viral movements, PR etc. People like Jay Abraham, Dan Kennedy, watch episodes of Shark Tank and Dragons Den, and get hold of pioneers in the SEO field -lots of marketing is going in that direction

If you implemented direct marketing systems into what you are currently doing you could explode, go to the Dan Kennedy site and get Bill Glazer's Outrageous Advertising book ( its practically free), this could be an excellent field manual you could use to give you the marketing/pr edge you are looking for

I know the potential in games and that they are outselling movies in many cases, Personally I think most games out there are crap and marketed for people that get off on dumb blocks bouncing off each other, and there is such a lack of innovation its staggering, great opportunities!

Thank you :)

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Do any body knows some leading innovators and pioneers in marketing, taking start-ups to empires?

Hey man, just saw some stuff about your games downloads and stuff. I'm in the process of downloading it now and will then give feedback...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.