The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Ideas for a IT Professional

Idea threads

maily

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 21, 2012
Good Evening,

I have been a self-employed contractor in the IT industry and work with several big clients. I specialize in IT infrastructure design and migration. I make enough money for a comfortable living.

I have been doing this since i was 18 and i am 25 now.

For a very long time i have wanted to start my own business/brand and make that generate enough money for me to not work anymore and just run a business which would eventually make me very rich.

I have been on thee forums for a while and read a fair amount. It seems everyone has ideas and is doing something with them my problem is coming up with a good idea that i could use to make money. I find this part very hard.

Can anyone help me with ways i could come up with ideas i have read books and listened to podcasts and whilst the advice is sound they advise you to find a gap in the market that you can fill etc its not that easy????

Also coming up with good brand/website names is very difficult i have tried many times and just suck at this.

Was hoping you guys with your wisdom could advise and help me further.

This is my first post on the forum so please be nice ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nikiobicata

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 7, 2013
No one will help you with that :) Every one looking for "idea" ... I'm like you :) I was reading a lot forums and i try 100 things but still no money :) So for now i'm stuck on my daily job

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
No one will help you with that :) Every one looking for "idea" ... I'm like you :) I was reading a lot forums and i try 100 things but still no money :) So for now i'm stuck on my daily job

The 'easiest' way is to create a software solution - write once, sell many times. Now all you need is the idea - find reviews of software, drill downto find the gaps and then fill them.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
An alternative approach is to work backwards from your skill set. Not just your IT skills, but your intellectual, character, and every day skills. What are you great at (things large and small)? What things do people ask you for help with because they come so easily for you?

Then expand out from your skills, to see how they might help solve painful problems people have. Who would my skill set help?

No one will help you with that :) Every one looking for "idea"

Not true IMO. People post giveaway ideas here.

StevenFlecha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 25, 2013
Location Idependent
As somebody else already notices your area of specialization is a bit hard to serve millions.. so you're going to need to think outside the box.
I'm an IT guy - programmer and started with my online business early on when I was 14 almost as an 'accident' out of boredom (I had an old nokia but no money to make calls so I started playing with it).

This year I broke the 100K revenue for the very first time (this after 'living it up' during most of my twenties) really focusing on growth.

My advise:
- list all your skills (where you excel - ask other people some replies might surprise you)
- list your passions / interest
- make a comb of the 2

This will help you determine your 'field'.

Now find various problems that exists in this field (niche).

Then when you have a list of the most common / biggest problems do research in possible solutions (existing).
Now at this point after doing some decent research (go out talk to people even if that is outside your comfort zone - especially then) some ideas should be popping up!

Oh and if you're a programmer and have a lack of idea's.. well I'm full of them hit me up and we'll talk.

normenclature

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 25, 2013
I agree with the above-- I'm almost done with MJs book and if I had to climb inside his head, he would say a lot of the same things as above. Here are my 2c:

Definitely go with an internet business that is also SaaS (software as a service) where customers pay monthly. Ramping that up and scaling is the quickest way to wealth. Even if you only offer a service for $10 a month, if it only takes a couple weeks to build the software and get an Amazon server, you can scale it fairly easily. To discover what to do, I would do the following (I'm a web developer and I already have my service ready to go. I plan on starting to dial in the right marketing message in the next couple weeks):

1. Look for services you are using or have used in the past that really worked great for you or that didn't work great but that you know it would help a LOT of people-- something you know people need but don't know where to find it. That's what I did and it became the passion I needed to push through the "excuses"-- I KNOW people can use what I'm going to offer, which gives me confidence pushing something out there that can help people.

2. Do a search on forums or blogs about a current service where you hear a lot of complaints where you could do it better and cheaper.

3. I know MJ doesn't like network marketing except to build it yourself, but I have one exception to that--something that I am going to be doing myself because I think it's a good strategy. i'm going to join one-- maybe I make a little money, maybe not, but then it gets me in and I'm able to offer MY OWN service to all of their downlines. strike a deal with one of the owners and give them a piece of it. Fish in a barrel.

maily

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for all the helpful posts so far guys :) I really appreciate all the help and advice from all of you lovely people :)

I am not very good at all at coding/programming but its given me ideas on other skills i have.

I realized many years ago whatever i do has to be web based as the internet is a global thing and i can reach people across the globe i guess i just want to sell a service/product to people.

Perhaps i could try come up with some good ideas and ask a programmer to help me and share the rewards maybe. I've always wondered perhaps i could develop a useful smartphone application as there's a huge market there too.

Will also need a brand to do all of this but i will continue researching and thinking of brands and ideas!! :)

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
Companies/People are already paying you to do something, what are you doing for them? Can any of the things that you are doing be automated with some software? You have access to people with money, figure out what problems they are struggling with and find a way to fix them. If you are having trouble figuring out their problems ask them. I'm sure at least one of your clients has a problem that they would love to be solved. Remember to stop looking for a way to make money and to start looking for a problem to solve.

myusername

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 2, 2013
Find a problem an industry has. Solve it.

Ask people in any industry for problems they have and really get to the point of pain. Then ask 100 more in the same industry. Your software will write itself.

I don't know if this is allowed or not but the foundation is a course for creating software programs. Check it out.

Last edited:

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011
do you know anything about php/database development? I'm working on making an app and I know the java to program the app but I don't know the php to make it communicate with the database. If you would be interested in partnering or want to know more details about my app PM me ;).

ricktx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 27, 2013
Texas, USA
Figure out what people need...give it to them

I love this line. However, I would also like to make some changes. Figure out what people need, actually know it, and are willing to pay for it. Then give it too them.

I am beginning to realize. People want and need a lot of stuff. But are unwilling to pay for most everything online. They think it should be free.

Before starting something I like to make sure there willing to pay.

My 2 cents...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.