The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Email Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
OK so I wanted to ask a question here on the INSIDERS forum, as not to get this out there in the open. I have obtained an email list of over 800k. Most all of those have first names attributed to them and they are attributed to the tech/finance niche. The issue is that none of these people opted into a list. I was just able to have access to them. I do not want to do anything illegal. So...

A. Do I do email marketing myself and ask 800k people if they want to opt into my list? I feel if I do this I will lose almost all of them anyway. Nobody wants to be spammed.

B. Should I seek out a buyer and sell the list to someone who knows more about email marketing?

If I can do A I think I can earn more money over time if I knew what I was doing. B sounds like a way to make a little bit of quick cash but probably aren't gonna get rich off it. So, staying within the laws, what would be a good move on my part? What should I do with this list? if anything?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
OK so I wanted to ask a question here on the INSIDERS forum, as not to get this out there in the open. I have obtained an email list of over 800k. Most all of those have first names attributed to them and they are attributed to the tech/finance niche. The issue is that none of these people opted into a list. I was just able to have access to them. I do not want to do anything illegal. So...

A. Do I do email marketing myself and ask 800k people if they want to opt into my list? I feel if I do this I will lose almost all of them anyway. Nobody wants to be spammed.

B. Should I seek out a buyer and sell the list to someone who knows more about email marketing?

If I can do A I think I can earn more money over time if I knew what I was doing. B sounds like a way to make a little bit of quick cash but probably aren't gonna get rich off it. So, staying within the laws, what would be a good move on my part? What should I do with this list? if anything?

Thanks in advance guys!!
Sell the members of the list the way to get off the list?

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
It was "originally" compiled with a custom built application connected to various public databases. In fact that's all I really know. But i have access to them and have permission to use them as I see fit. I just am not sure the best (and legal) way to go about it.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
It was "originally" compiled with a custom built application connected to various public databases. In fact that's all I really know. But i have access to them and have permission to use them as I see fit. I just am not sure the best (and legal) way to go about it.
If I was on that list, I would feel that my privacy had been breached. So maybe a security product to really piss them off?

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
So you are saying the list is not something anyone could or should use?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
No not necessarily, it's a good question. Maybe someone has a good idea. I saying that you made the right choice in researching and asking before blasting it and wasting it. Well, at least that is what I finally got around to saying.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Yeah I don't know. Some people tell me the list is no good and others tell me I can get .25 per lead. ha. That's a HUGE difference right there. That's the difference between $0 and $200k. My guess is it's probably somewhere in between. Along with their first names, looks like the emails are attached with a facebook account, a linkedin account, a twitter account, and a google+ account. Maybe that's what makes it more valuable??

I'll ask around some more. I'm afraid if I choose A and begin an email marketing campaign I am going to get myself into trouble.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
why cant you do both ;) you can email them asking them to opt into your list... unless you have an issue with reselling the info but then you couldn't sell I anyway.

just because you utilize I first doesn't make it any less valuable to someone else ;)

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
it they are complied by public databases its public domain and isn't illegal to use its research ;)

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
just because you utilize I first doesn't make it any less valuable to someone else
Well not sure I could sleep knowing I did that. Selling a list that is all used up?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
its not... they just don't want to opt into your opp maybe they want theirs. its a contact list :p

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
how is it used up? when you read a phone book does it disappear for everyone else?

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
it they are complied by public databases its public domain and isn't illegal to use its research
Yeah, I am pretty sure the way the list was compiled is completely legal. I just don't want to end up doing something illegal with it.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I haven't been an a**hole for a couple of days so here you go...
Build a website with the data and charge $10 a head to remove their names.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
unless your using to it stalk people n rob their houses that's illegal LOL your sending them information... unless they specifically tell YOU not to that's not illegal...

even if they tell you not to they have not told whoever else uses the compiled info for some other reason... your just saving them the search time :)

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
You know that's not a bad idea LOL

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
unless he can go to the source all he can do is remove them from his list which he has to do for free if they ask... that is illegal and wont remove them from the original public databases he got them from

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
use it make your own list from it then resell it :)

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Ditch the list. Spamming people doesn't bring value to them.

You want to make money then work your a$$ off and bring value to your clients. In the long run, you'll be better off. Trust me on this. This comes from experience and someone who hates spam.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
would you hate it if it was a real legit op that could make you money? these people were looking for this type of info in the first place... I don't get it even at a .01% response (wosrse then direct mail) that's a nice list :)

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Ditch the list. Spamming people doesn't bring value to them.
You want to make money then work your a$$ off and bring value to your clients. In the long run, you'll be better off. Trust me on this. This comes from experience and someone who hates spam.
Thanks for the input. Here is a question, what if you were able to bring value wrapped in an email. Let's take a hypothetical. let's say someone had a list of a million emails to people who owned a painting business or store, or were interested in painting and home improvement and Likwid emailed all of them to tell everyone about how they could save time and headache using the paintbrush cover? Would that be spam or providing value?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
am I allowed to answer?

how bout neither! its advertising!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Here's a real time snail mail example. Mrs jon is on mailing lists generated from public records for a certain type of real estate. I screen all the mail. So far nothing has got my attention to pass on to her. I do however open every piece just in case it might be something good. It's my understanding that some folks get annoyed by this type of mailing but me not so much. Plus, I want to see that level of effort the sender went to. I'm weird like that.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I have been told that those people who are smart and know how to write copy can snatch up an email list and sell no problem. It's those majority of people who aren't good at it, who tend to miss the boat and piss off people and get called SPAM. Some people have a knack for it and make a lot of money email marketing. In fact, I might be able to make a business out of it, since I may be coming across more emails in the future through the same method.

So I am looking at this from all angles and hoping to turn this into an opportunity. I am sure I can add value to someone somewhere at some level.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
to me the value is you know where and how to compile the list easily while others... not so much...

good luck in whatever you decide!

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the input. Here is a question, what if you were able to bring value wrapped in an email. Let's take a hypothetical. let's say someone had a list of a million emails to people who owned a painting business or store, or were interested in painting and home improvement and Likwid emailed all of them to tell everyone about how they could save time and headache using the paintbrush cover? Would that be spam or providing value?

I'm not best to answer mainly because I never by from spam, cold callers, or click on ads. I assumed no body did either until I learned that of people do.

However there is a right way and wrong way of using mailing list. I would recommend you read Permission Marketing by Seth Godin.

I haven't done what's in his book but it comes down to building trust with people by them allowing you to give permission to email them.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I am kind of the same way. I "usually" wouldn't buy something from an unsolicited email etc. But I am a bit more open to things. I don't assume just because an email comes in I didn't ask for that the sender is a complete jerk. I know many people, relatives/friends etc, who get angry at advertisements or emails. I try not to allow those types of things to control me and so I dont' really feel "anger". I do mostly just ignore it.

I do agree that someone who sends emails using opt-in will probably get a larger response due to the relationship they have with the receiver. Like you mentioned, it's about trust. And with trust there seems to be an easier sell. But I am having a hard time believing that 800k targeted emails with first names attached can't be valuable to someone somewhere. Whether I use it for something or sell it to someone else who knows how to use them properly, there should be an opportunity somewhere. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe this was all old school and used to be done but not anymore?

I plan to research some more on the topic and see what else I can find out. Thanks for the replies!!

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Since it's a paint brush cover, I'm assuming it's geared towards painters?

Have you talked to a painter already? If not I know a guy who might benefit from it. His done some work for me and he definitely tries to take care of his tools so he doesn't have to waste money if he doesn't have to. If you are interested I can msg you his info.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.