The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[eBooks, Videos, Links etc.] The eBay Thread

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Hey,

thanks for your post in this thread and sorry for the late reply.

My thoughts on your problem (and this is my answer to your post here and your other questions you've sent me via PM):

#1 - I would read and follow EXACTLY this thread MJ posted over here - plus read the source on lambo forum (sign up to the other forum as well so you can read the whole thread there)

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/fr...at-bootstrapping-thread-how-create-money.html

#2 - I wouldn't really sell those luxury things on ebay, but only craiglist etc. WHEN STARTING A BIZ LIKE THIS.

With selling jewelery, watches, cars, luxury things etc. you are starting a biz in a magnitude market (read MJs fastlane book and search the chapter where he talks about scale and magnitude).

Means: 1 article costs thousands of $.

The problem is one refund spammer can wreck your profit for 10 and more transactions...

It's the same like trading cars for example...You sell 5 cars and make a profit of 1000$ = 5k...Then you sell the sixth car and have a spammer that f***s you over via paypal...and you loose your money and the article, and maybe even your paypal accounts gets holded because of a transaction like this - especially if this happens to you several times.

I can only recommend you when starting a magnitute biz like this to do the first 1-2 years every transaction meeting in person.

#3 - Be sure you know exactly what you do.

You need to know ANYTHING about how spammers can f you over online / paypal / ebay / in person etc.

This is extremely important when buying the stuff you plan to re-sell. As they say, you make the profit buying inventory, not selling it.

The BIGGEST mistake I see people make in business life before they fail / get f'd over is mostly the same: they think they know it all only to learn that it's not the case. There's only one point in life where you figure out the answer to knowing it all: You realize that you need to keep learning and "I know, that I know nothing".

For that reason: I HIGHLY recommend you to get into contact with people in your industry who don't CLAIM to be experts etc. but where you can get informations about them that they have for example a 10+ years business selling watches etc. (Sometimes it's enough to learn from somebody who's successful in another industry, too...so knowing somebody who sells pet food online very successful is way more valueable than somebody claiming to be successful doing the same that you do, but you can't figure out if it's all talk or you can verify their "success talk"). So: Look for somebody who can teach you about all the stuff that can go wrong. At the beginning it would be perfect to have somebody who can assist you on your first buy and sell transactions.

#4 - If:
a.) you made constant profit 1-2 years with this magnitude biz
b.) have people / experts / successful mentors for your biz and
c.) have the capital and the numbers to survive spammers, losses etc.

then:

you should go online - on ebay - sell more numbers and face the dangers of selling very expensive magnitude products to the masses.

Your current problems are no ebay problems per se IMO, but general business dangers.

PS: If you will get into contact with people / experts / successful mentors for your biz they will help you get around your local problems, ebay problems etc. aswell. DON'T WORRY. BUT: The things I've mentioned to you before are way more important to figure out in your beginning.

IMG_0082.jpg

I've read your thread about selling on eBay and how to get a good rating etc.
I am from Holland myself and I noticed that the eBay market in the Netherlands is very small. It seems that hardly any dutch people buy from eBay.nl, do you have this issue also in Germany?

Our biggest website is marktplaats.nl instead of eBay, where I do have my products for sale.

But my question is about having multiple eBay account for different type of products that I sell.
I sell both luxury watches and have a webshop where I sell products for home us, I have 2 eBay accounts for them because I don't think that I can offer a Rolex and sell a shower head on the same page. So I seperate them since I have 2 different kinds of businesses.

What is your idea on this?

Looking forward to your advice!

X

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 331
Last edited by a moderator:

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks mate for your reply!

I do know many successful people in the Netherlands, that's where most of my customers come from.
And they do help me with giving tips, but they are all in retail businesses, so they help me with that :)
I know this market very well cuz i've been in this category for a lot of years.

But they don't know anything about eBay really, they are all store owners and marketing people.

Also Craigslist is very very small here in the Netherlands, I sometimes check it, but theres more people walking outside my door then there are people going to that website.

But do you recommend having different eBay accounts for different types of businesses?

Also a tip for the Dutch guys here, I really recommend offering your product on Bol.com. For the US guys, thats our Amazon. (cuz we don't have Amazon here, we need to use the .co.uk one)
It can seriously boost your sales within days!

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
I am a big fan of the #1 rule many successful people on ebay claim: it's all about the product.

Therefore, I wouldn't mind thinking about having different accounts etc.

Be sure you have a product people need, add the most possible value to it (good pix, good communication, good guarantees / refund rules, position yourself as an expert etc.) and make sure your product + value gets in front of the most possible targeted customers you can find - everything else is secondary / small stuff to worry about IMO...

Thanks mate for your reply!

I do know many successful people in the Netherlands, that's where most of my customers come from.
And they do help me with giving tips, but they are all in retail businesses, so they help me with that :)
I know this market very well cuz i've been in this category for a lot of years.

But they don't know anything about eBay really, they are all store owners and marketing people.

Also Craigslist is very very small here in the Netherlands, I sometimes check it, but theres more people walking outside my door then there are people going to that website.

But do you recommend having different eBay accounts for different types of businesses?

Also a tip for the Dutch guys here, I really recommend offering your product on Bol.com. For the US guys, thats our Amazon. (cuz we don't have Amazon here, we need to use the .co.uk one)
It can seriously boost your sales within days!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
Alright thanks for the advice mate! Really appreciate it, you're the best.

How long have you been doing this TK1? :)
Do you make more sales on eBay or from you own webshop?

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Alright thanks for the advice mate! Really appreciate it, you're the best.

How long have you been doing this TK1? :)
Do you make more sales on eBay or from you own webshop?

Thanks for asking I'm doing fine :)
I've been selling via eBay since day 1 of ebay germany.

I can remember when I was 14-15 years old making 3k-4k on ebay using a friends ID :D

Update: Free very nice eBook "Ebay hacks"
Read it here: eBay Hacks von David A. Karp als eBook bei PaperC lesen.

Update #2: TONS of free very nice ebay materials all free
Check it out: Documents matching "ebay" | Scribd

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
FYI, it seems like you only get 10-20 minutes of reading time per hour on that site before being asked to pay.

Not the end of the world, considering it's free, but FYI anyway.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Quick tip for making money on eBay WITHOUT SELLING SOMETHING

If you need some quick, but possibly good cash you can try this - just an idea:

I saw on german ebay today a store that obviously belongs to somebody in china, uk other somewhere else.

What many biz owners try to do: they try to sell fe in german ebay their stuff, but their offers are not in english etc., but they translate all the stuff into german, english etc. whatever the language is on the specific ebay site they try to sell on.

Results?

Many offers look like they were translated in google translator, if at all.

Even their graphics contain the worst possible translated copy.

NOBODY will believe them they are actually a local seller, but everyone thinks a.) where they from and b.) wow, what a bad seller / unprofessional site.

So, why not contact those sellers and help them?

Try something like this:

"Hey, I saw your offer over here and I see you are from overseas and try to sell more - make money in our local market. Unfortunately, many of your translations - site details are really bad, which results in less sales - profit for you. For 3000€ (x€ when starting my job, x€ after finishing and you are satisfied) I can help you fix all those problems over here and make you an established seller in this local market.

Please let me now if I can help."

Take me for an example:

Currently I only sell on german ebay and as you may think from my posts here "Man, this guys english is horrible..."

So if I would start selling on UK ebay, US ebay, Spain, Italy etc. I wouldn't risk doing it all by myself, but would need some good help - a partner who can set my stuff up in the local area.

----

As I said this is only an idea you can try out if you need some money, it just came to my head as I see like 50 sellers EVERY DAY on german ebay that fail at having a proper offer in perfect german language.

If somebody tries this please let me know how it worked for you.

Cheers :tiphat:

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
Fountain of knowledge as always TK!

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and try it? See if it works! :)

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Fountain of knowledge as always TK!

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and try it? See if it works! :)

I don't have time to try this unfortunately, but I believe it can deliver some decent results...

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Hi TK1,

I read your whole eBay thread and it was great, thank you so much for creating it!

I do have one question:
I took one of your tips from the thread and bought something in bulk (50 items), then resold invidually (39 sold), but unfortunately, only got 21 positive ratings out of it so, I am looking at increasing my ratings again. For those just starting out in the eBay thread you said: "I would go for all auction listings...maybe throw in 1 x buy it now...and I would buy hundreds of items from other sellers to get hundreds of positive ratings ASAP"

Can you clarify which items would that be, and any tips that go along with getting hundreds buyer ratings? Thank you in advance!

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
For getting more positive feedback:

- use their paypal emails and email them asking for a positive feedback (sound personal, not a spammy mass email)
- beware: don't push it too hard to contact buyers for feedback as many people give all their feedbacks once in weeks/month (i do this, too...1 time in a month i rate all transactions...so be patient...which brings us to the next important thing:)
- ebay is like anything: a PROCESS - don't focus on the event of a fast result and try to push it too much, but instead focus on keep on selling and ratings will come.

for your question about buying items to get fast positive feedbacks:

- go in every category and sort by pricing including shipping and buy all things that go for 1 buck incl. shipping (iphone cables, books, ebooks etc. work well)
- make sure you buy things that you can resell again, so you get 2 positive ratings out of 1 item...iphone cables will sell again pretty fast/easy...buying an ebook and trying to resell it can take much longer

you can try this, too:

buy things in bulk and split the items and resell...for example: somebody selling 5 old tshirts for 10 bucks...buy it resell it for the minimum price that will make sure somebody will buy them ASAP

most important:

please share your results - your progress in this thread with all of us so we can learn from your actions :thumbsup:

Hi TK1,

I read your whole eBay thread and it was great, thank you so much for creating it!

I do have one question:
I took one of your tips from the thread and bought something in bulk (50 items), then resold invidually (39 sold), but unfortunately, only got 21 positive ratings out of it so, I am looking at increasing my ratings again. For those just starting out in the eBay thread you said: "I would go for all auction listings...maybe throw in 1 x buy it now...and I would buy hundreds of items from other sellers to get hundreds of positive ratings ASAP"

Can you clarify which items would that be, and any tips that go along with getting hundreds buyer ratings? Thank you in advance!

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Great bootstrapping thread - how to create money.
(a fastlane thread that helped thousands of people on how to make money, must read, and: don't forget to sign up at the lambo forum and read the original thread over there that contains lots of more advice - how a guy taught his friend about reselling stuff and making 17k / month)

I would like to read this ^^^

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Great bootstrapping thread - how to create money.
(a fastlane thread that helped thousands of people on how to make money, must read, and: don't forget to sign up at the lambo forum and read the original thread over there that contains lots of more advice - how a guy taught his friend about reselling stuff and making 17k / month)

I would like to read this ^^^

Just sign up @ lambo forum, or is registration disabled?

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
How to remove negative feedback, or change it to positive feedback

When eBay may remove or adjust feedback: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

-Feedback comments containing inappropriate content.
-Feedback that is unrelated to a seller's performance.
-Feedback left by members who violated certain rules or policies.
-A buyer made an error while leaving Feedback or during the transaction.
-We determine it's necessary and appropriate to remove Feedback and detailed seller ratings.
-Feedback and detailed seller ratings are removed or adjusted through an automated system.

If this doesn't work, you can request that the buyer revises the feedback. Check this for more info: http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/revision-request.html

-What I usually do is, I will offer to refund their purchase price and they may keep the item as well (if the price is low) and then I say "All I ask is that you please revise your feedback. We try our best to keep all customers satisfied, etc."

S

stranger

As everybody knows probably the most important thing after what you sell on eBay are your seller feedback ratings.

When you start out on eBay it can take you some time (sometimes over 1-2 years) to get to power seller status and having thousands of positive feedbacks.

Unfortunately, there's no way around having many positive customer feedbacks, because that's what makes customers trust you and drives more sales.
It's possible to buy positive feedbacks and some ebay sellers do it. Really, not a good idea for honest sellers.

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
Using Unpaid Item Assistant - One more thing you can do to streamline and save money on Ebay

If you're like me you have let money fly out the window when someone doesn't pay for your ebay item, and you are still charged a final value fee.

I found out about this free system on ebay that will automatically open an unpaid item case after X amount of days, and refund your fees all on its own. Learn more here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-item-assistant.html

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
Fast and effective tip to increase your following on ebay:

Follow yourself. Yep, go to your user profile and follow yourself.

Ever since I got 1 follower (myself), there was a spike of new followers - 7 in a few days. The number of followers shows on your profile, and I guess this is why people started following. This further proves the point that social proof is crucial as ever

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013

When eBay may remove or adjust feedback: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

-We determine it's necessary and appropriate to remove Feedback and detailed seller ratings.
-Feedback and detailed seller ratings are removed or adjusted through an automated system.

If this doesn't work, you can request that the buyer revises the feedback. Check this for more info: http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/revision-request.html

-What I usually do is, I will offer to refund their purchase price and they may keep the item as well (if the price is low) and then I say "All I ask is that you please revise your feedback. We try our best to keep all customers satisfied, etc."

Thought I'd give this an update, because today marks the 3rd feedback I've had to remove. (Still at 100% feedback)

Here are some real world examples of feedback you can remove:

Neutral feedback - "Did not have item in stock" - I removed this by messaging the buyer and sending a sort of heart-felt letter about how we always try our best to keep people satisfied, etc. He agreed to change the feedback to positive

Negative feedback - "This is bullshit, you scammed me man" - To clarify, I did not scam him. He was upset at the high price. Removed this by calling ebay and letting them know that he cussed at me

Negative feedback - "He won't deliver to Italy and he didn't specify" - This is a false statement, as I did specify in the listing. Removed this by calling ebay and letting them know

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Love the links, very informative!

Thank you on this.
From Lagron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013

Another update to this. If you call ebay to get your feedback removed and it doesn't work, TRY AGAIN! In the same day after one failed attempt I called back and got someone else - They removed it immediately. Just today I called to get a feedback removed and they didn't even check anything, they just took it down right away. Yes, still at 100% positive feedback :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.