The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you ever receive comments like this

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Lately, I've been getting a few people who message me in a very condescending tone. As you guys know, I'm building my youtube channel, been at it for a little under a year and have hit 3.5K subs. May not be big to some of you, but I feel so grateful, ontop of the world, and proud of my hard work. I've got the entrepreneurial high. I wanna keep going. Not for money, but because I love seeing something come into reality. Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it!

Anyway, I get a ton of comments with people giving me ideas, but not like.... real ideas, stuff that is just based around "Let me be in a video, you need ideas from me". Like.... like I'm an idiot. Right? As if they know how much time it takes to put into them.

Granted, you could say "Hey man! Listen to your viewers!". I do, and that's why I get along with all of them, but there are a few that you can tell are not trying to help. That come to me and talk to me like "Here man, clearly you don't know what you're doing , so I can show you how to really make people laugh.

Sorry if this sounds stuck up, but it's not. I always listen to my viewers, but there is always that 1% that feels as if they have all the answers, and I'm just an idiot.

It genuinely blows my mind.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Yeah know, I'm not really sure. Great point though. Everyone tells me to be a dick about it, but I choose not to respond at all or just say "thanks man I'll take it into consideration !"

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina
I choose not to respond at all or just say "thanks man I'll take it into consideration !"
Smart move man. I don't really think there is any long-term upside by being a jerk to these guys- you might feel better for half a second, but then you're also pissing off someone who is helping you build your dream, whether they are an idiot or not, by watching your videos. Sure they might be condescending to you, but take the high road and don't descend to their level would be my advice.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Ask them to send you a video post and you may use it on the end of your show and reply to it maybe, put up or shut up kinda thing

There are all kinda dicks in the world so dont let the haters get u down

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Exactly! And you know, I am NEVER mean, ever. But at times I can't help but get angry when people ask for shout outs or to be in the video and then they go "Yeah, I'm thinking about starting a channel!". So I put in my effort to give you a boost?

It's almost kind of insulting. I wouldn't even give a shoutout to a friend who didn't put his all into the channel .

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
I;m with Jon.a, let's see what their views are.

I mean with 3.5K subs, you're obviously doing something right.

But in this world, everyone's a professional, it's like those guys who watch the UFC fights at the local watering hole, they put an Affliction shirt and now they're freaking Dana White lol.

Just keep doing what you're doing and tell them that you'll take what they say into consideration.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Check out their views... sometimes the harshest and most critical are actually upping your game.
When someone's just critical and bringing nothing to the table... keep it moving.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Here's what you do :thumbsup:

[video=youtube;OWi9duieWNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWi9duieWNg[/video]

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
You are going about it the right way with your attitude. I'm impressed and actually glad you're taking the high road in response to the snarky comments, kill 'em with kindness.

Last edited:

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
That howard stern bit was hilarious. The thing is, if I have a channel where it's clear the smart thing to do would pick one genre of video because everyone likes it, and not pick the other genre that everyone hates... yeah - that's the feedback I listen to.

It's that I'm so nice to people, in fact, that they get too comfortable. That's where the problem stems from. No matter what, I don't want to come off as a prick and think I'm some superior D-bag because people watch me, but it's just so funny how someone can mistake kindness for weakness.

mags

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 18, 2011
Everyone tells me to be a dick about it, but I choose not to respond at all or just say "thanks man I'll take it into consideration !"

You just did the right thing.

There are a lot of troll commenters on YouTube. Only a handful of them give valuable and useful insight.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Man really, you take youtube comments under consideration? Your views and your positive/negative feedback should be the only things you should care. There are a lot of people crying for attention, you don't have to be so generous.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Man really, you take youtube comments under consideration? Your views and your positive/negative feedback should be the only things you should care. There are a lot of people crying for attention, you don't have to be so generous.

First off, amazing avatar.

And yeah you're right, but I always feel the need to get personal with people... treat them like a friend and not a "fan"... but something tells me that in the long run that will back fire, and my personal life should remain personal.

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
Depending on your overall image, being kind to every commentator might actually look weak and/or dishonest . Also, with your fanbase growing there would inevitably come a moment when you no longer have time to reply to everyone. Personally, I'd just ignore them right off the bat and just concentrate on valuable ones. You will also have more time for fans you care about, and they will feel more honored by your replies.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
First off, amazing avatar.

And yeah you're right, but I always feel the need to get personal with people... treat them like a friend and not a "fan"... but something tells me that in the long run that will back fire, and my personal life should remain personal.
You can't please everyone and you should not be a pleaser. Sometimes polarizing without insulting can work better. By being authentic and controversal, people tend to like and follow you more.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
There will always be the 1%ers... you can't please everyone

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.