The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do It NOW

Anything related to matters of the mind

Danzaland

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Apr 11, 2011
Rochester, NY
All you young entrepreneurs. Do it now. To quote Jason Calacanis, there will always be that big corporate job available. Do it now!

I say this as I push pixels dealing with mediocre content, a zapped bank account, a marriage of roommates, kids I can't spend enough time with and house in need of repairs and it's freaking beautiful outside... I sit in a cube, bitter, unfocused on the pixel pushing at hand, knowing I the business I am loosing because I'm where I'm at.

Trying to Crush It is tough, and trying to go against the norm of the sidewalk/slowlane is a full-time gig in itself.

My father told me to do what I wanted to do before making big commitments. I thought I had done it. He didn't know about the Fastlane, so my 20's were not as productive as they could have been.

Don't become me. Do your big idea NOW.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My father told me to do what I wanted to do before making big commitments.

Wise, sage advice ... this is probably why I never considered marriage until I hit my 30's ... besides, who you are at 22 is a big difference between who you are at 32.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
I feel your pain man. I can't say im in the same situation, but given a few more years without changes, I will be as well. If something's not working out for you now, change something about it. In your words, Do it now. Can't spend enough time with your kids? Then make every minute you spend with them quality time. Unhappy with your job? Make plans to change into the fastlane.

It's not easy, but keep on working towards your goal, even if it's an inch at a time.

To reiterate your message to the younger entrepreneurs, time is definitely precious. When you're young and have a lot of it without the responsibilities that come with adulthood and a family, make sure you use it wisely. As they always say, if only I knew back then what I knew now..

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
All you young entrepreneurs. Do it now. To quote Jason Calacanis, there will always be that big corporate job available. Do it now!

I say this as I push pixels dealing with mediocre content, a zapped bank account, a marriage of roommates, kids I can't spend enough time with and house in need of repairs and it's freaking beautiful outside... I sit in a cube, bitter, unfocused on the pixel pushing at hand, knowing I the business I am loosing because I'm where I'm at.

Trying to Crush It is tough, and trying to go against the norm of the sidewalk/slowlane is a full-time gig in itself.

My father told me to do what I wanted to do before making big commitments. I thought I had done it. He didn't know about the Fastlane, so my 20's were not as productive as they could have been.

Thank you for that. I've been known to refer to jobs as modern day slavery. A perpetual case of chase the shiny thing whilst treading on a hamster wheel.

Wise, sage advice ... this is probably why I never considered marriage until I hit my 30's ... besides, who you are at 22 is a big difference between who you are at 32.

MJ speaks the truth yet again. lol

I used to listen to Tom Leykis when I worked graveyards in a manufacturing plant and he preached about not marrying until 25. I thought to myself."hey, that seems reasonable, lets do that." And I made it to 25 without marriage and thought,"hey, lets shoot for 30." 30 came and went and now I'm thinking,"eh, maybe in the next few years."

I feel your pain man. I can't say im in the same situation, but given a few more years without changes, I will be as well. If something's not working out for you now, change something about it. In your words, Do it now. Can't spend enough time with your kids? Then make every minute you spend with them quality time. Unhappy with your job? Make plans to change into the fastlane.

It's not easy, but keep on working towards your goal, even if it's an inch at a time.

To reiterate your message to the younger entrepreneurs, time is definitely precious. When you're young and have a lot of it without the responsibilities that come with adulthood and a family, make sure you use it wisely. As they always say, if only I knew back then what I knew now..

Again, good someone pointed this out.

To all of you, what sticks in my mind is my grandfather. He always intended to travel to Japan when he retired. Sadly, by the time he retired, his health was such that he couldn't do it. And that has always stuck with me.

Infinity

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 2, 2009
Thanks for this post!

This was the sort of the thing I was trying to bring up in the "Successful in my 20's" thread a few weeks ago. Less commitments means you can take risks without affecting people who depend on you (wife, kids, elderly parents).

So it's not necessarily what finite age you are, but instead what your responsibilities are which can weigh into your fastlane endeavors

Neon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 22, 2011

You've only failed when you give up.

As much as you hate your life, if you're not dead or in bed- you can still do it.

Everyone has reversals of fortune, some lasting years if not decades...but you can still cross the finish line.

JGbolagoke

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 25, 2011
Good observation. My advice is for you to monitor how you use your time. You can do this by keeping a journal of your time and reviewing what you do with it. It will amaze you to know that 80% of your time is used for things not necessary - talking about Pareto theory. But you can increase the effectiveness of your time by monitoring and carefully analysing its usage.

Danzaland

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Apr 11, 2011
Rochester, NY
Thanks all for your insights, I will be working on incorporating them into my life. I would say a good chunk of my time is domestic BS, laundry, dishes, mowing the lawn...
This post was partially inspired by: Jason’s Talk at Cal Tech on This Week in Startups #135 « ThisWeekIn

I have not given up by any means, have realized what my next hurdle is and am working on getting that done.
Just had to vent.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Great post, and I couldn't agree more. I've found myself in a similar situation and it is a real struggle getting out of it. I'd like to say I'm getting there, but it's slow going, and 3 steps forward 2 steps back, but hey.. progress is progress.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.