The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Disoriented Genomics/Statistics PhD, budding Entrepreneur

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles
Hi,

I'm about 80% through TMF right now and decided to sign up for the forum on MJ's urging. The book is great.

I haven't looked around the forum yet - I figured I'd just make my intro first as I might want to refer back to it in some future conversations.

I'm 34 right now, and I graduated with a PhD in Human Genetics in 2008. I didn't pay for grad school -- we don't do that in the life sciences -- and was paid by the NIH and NSF to complete my degree. However, I wasn't paid well, and because I was feeling the pain of the impoverished student lifestyle, I started doing some "consulting" while I was a student. I put "consulting" in quotes because I've become aware that what I was really doing was contract work as a software engineer with a bit of specialized knowledge around genomics/bioinformatics.

I have always liked to tinker with new technologies, and view it as a hobby and the things I make as art projects. One day while I was a student, I decided to make a mobile web application for taking videos from YouTube and making them watchable on my cell phone. For context, this was when YouTube was just getting hot in the startup space, before the Google acquisition, and well before the iPhone. I managed to blog spam my way into getting a lot of media attention (TechCrunch, GigaOM, Der Spiegel), and a C&D/"Job offer" from YouTube. Heh :D. In retrospect, I should have made a bigger media play, but I didn't -- lesson learned. I just kept doing product development as a hobby and put just enough attention on ad-revenues to eke out a small profit. I was later approached by AdMob (also pre-Google acquisition) about acquiring my small company, although the conversation didn't go very far. Fast-forward to early 2012, and with an unengaged bloated team, a "2.0" version of the product over budget and behind schedule, I didn't have any enthusiasm left. I'm in the process of liquidating/dissolving the corporation.

In 2010 I opened another small company, this time in the genomics/clinical informatics space. Like the company I started in grad school, this one was also bootstrapped, although this time on a contract from a major biotech equipment vendor that had recently acquired a new DNA sequencing platform. The context here was that my client wanted a skunkworks-style project spun up to do the heavy-duty computing required for genome analysis in "the cloud". So I built a team, partly in the US and partly in China (the latter location because I had been working with some oDesk engineers there before deciding to convert them to FT employees). Big mistake to hire employees. Colossal mistake to hire FT software engineers and open an office in China. Anyway, I delivered the package successfully, and as part of the handoff had a full-blown acquisition discussion with my client's finance/legal team. Prior to M&A, client had made the "job offer"-type buy-out I encountered in the YouTube/AdMob situation described above, but I opted to go the harder M&A route to get that experience. The acquisition ended up failing for a variety of reasons, mainly political and what was in my mind a grossly unfair set of contract terms/constraints. I still have this company open, and am currently seeking to license the technology, although I've been not doing much with it since early this year.

I realized that my career plan was not going very well, so I decided to take a breather, do some reading, try to relax and assess my situation. I'm doing some AI/statistics consulting at the moment with what look to be promising VC backed startups, and I have some equity there, but I'm honestly kind of missing the passion of having my own project.

I ended up here after a book recommendation for TMF from a friend. After having now played the leadership roles of VP Engineering, CTO, CEO, as well as engineer, marketer, gopher, and pretty much whatever else was needed, I'm getting a pretty good sense of where my strengths/weaknesses lie.

If I was to visualize the ideal outcome of participating in this forum, it would be to get some mentorship on how to build a vehicle for streamlined, solid growth. I'm really good with math, technology, and computer systems, but I have only vague notions of what all the parts of a highly-functional business are. Further, I see that building things in real-world time as opposed to internet-time takes a lot longer and is more expensive. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my current perspective is that I don't have as much time or freedom to make mistakes on the business development side, as opposed to building product prototypes which I'm good enough at that I can just view as purely playtime.

In the short term, I want to either revive my mothballed company, or pivot it into a money tree with some new product/service I haven't conceived of yet. Longer term I'd like to have something even more lean and hands-off -- automated trading or the like.

I think that's enough for now. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies! :D

-Allen

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fermovian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 19, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hi Allen, looks like an impressive resume.
I suppose a mistake in business can be very dangerous, but I think creativity can overcome most obstacles.
I wish I could give more practical advice, but I have not had much real world experience.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro. So you own(ed) a one-client contracting/consulting company that no longer has the client due to having delivered the product. And now are you seeking another client? Or looking to just divest into something entirely different?

Sounds like you have a wide-array of skillsets that just needs to be monetized into a scalable need.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Welcome to the forum.

I feel honored to have somebody with your background and experience here....

For what I hear, these days there are a lot of grants for Big Data Visualization, Big Data Analysis, a lot of statistical and analysis-related products are needed.

Yesterday was in a meeting with a high level DoD official. He commented they just awarded a "very small" ~$10M contract to a company doing research on how to display network traffic data in a way that lets them see what is going on in a cyber attack scenario. I know NIH is funding a lot of research in sequencing and drug interaction as well.

If I was to visualize the ideal outcome of participating in this forum, it would be to get some mentorship on how to build a vehicle for streamlined, solid growth.

I'd love to hear more about what you have done, I think I could help you with what I know about government and big companies needs. Feel free to send me a private message.

Welcome again!

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles
Welcome to the forum.

Hi andviv,

Thanks for extending such a warm welcome. You're fortunate to know someone like your DoD contact, I know those connections take years of nurturing!

I've heard a lot of these grants are almost no-bid, you just need to know where to find the hidden RFP. I can confirm it's the case for NIH/NSF (first-hand) and DoS (second-hand).

You're right that BigData is a buzzword right now. My favorite part of the frenzy is the term "data scientist". As if there are scientists that don't work with data! :). I expect we'll all start hearing a lot more about R (statistical language similar to S/SPSS/SAS) as soon as the buzz wears off and directors realize they can get quite a lot of value out of modeling the shape/properties of the data w/o having to digest the whole stream.

As much as it's my passion, I'm starting to view my position WRT my career in healthtech/biotech as "long". The sector is very capital- and time- intense. As an entrepreneur, I find it really difficult to justify spending a decade of my life on a high-risk service/product that I don't control (I'm not a VC) and that's trying to launch in a highly regulated market that I also don't control (I'm not the FDA).

I'll send you a PM this week -- just back from SF tonight and need to recuperate.

Thx.

-Allen

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles
Great intro. So you own(ed) a one-client contracting/consulting company that no longer has the client due to having delivered the product. And now are you seeking another client? Or looking to just divest into something entirely different?

Hi MJ! Thanks for the personal welcome. I feel so fortunate to have had your book recommended to me, it's arrived at a pivotal moment in my life and really helped me to refine/clarify some ideas I already had, although they were not yet as developed/articulate-able. Good stuff.

Right, I got seed money from Client #1. My company is now spun down (no offices, no employees, still have IP and some capital) and I'm still pursuing licensing (ideal) or service contract (acceptable) opportunities. At the same time I'm dipping into some other interesting startups as a consultant for cash and/or equity, depending on the deal. I'm positioning as a tactical consultant for teams needing to make radical SW architecture or BI change -- I'm finding that it's an not an easy-to-see value proposition, that's for sure. Some feedback on this point would be great.

Anyway, this DNA sequencing space moves really erratically -- every couple of years we see a new version of tech comes out and that shakes up the competitive landscape.

The other important force is FDA. FDA has historically had a small role because the technology was all research, so more just the domain of NIH/NSF for grants. Now as it's becoming commercializable we see FDA paying more attention because of the obvious applications in the insurance/therapeutics/diagnostics space.

I was just visiting some potential licensees this week and was honestly kind of astounded at how technologically (analytics/web/software) unsophisticated they were. I feel like I can just wait for the next wave, I'm so far ahead of them. The gamble is on Client #1 being too dysfunctional/disinterested to compete with me when the time comes.

Sounds like you have a wide-array of skillsets that just needs to be monetized into a scalable need.

Yes, it's true. I'm really well-rounded on the science/technology side. I've been going really deep on that, and I'm very passionate about creating amazing products that will make a major impact on the world.

I'm still processing what you wrote about working passionately to be able to do what you love. Honestly, at least as of today I'm really in love with the work I do and I feel fortunate to be in this position. You mentioned that for this kind of person, it might be okay to just stay in the slow lane. I'm not that person. The thing I struggle with is the lack of financial freedom to really pursue my ideas to their logical conclusion because some of the most interesting technologies/applications are not commercially viable in the short-term (i.e. R&D problems), and I'm not willing to deal with funding agencies and institutional politics because it violates (primarily) Law of Control.

It's really hard for me to find where is the right exit point from the innovation track to optimize on Laws of Need and Control. I think I have a pretty good grip on Entry, Scale, and Time. Some feedback on this point would also be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Allen

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm not willing to deal with funding agencies and institutional politics because it violates (primarily) Law of Control.

I should also say that I've also had the same opinion about ceding control to VCs, which is why I've opted to bootstrap my first 2 companies.

At this juncture, I may be changing my mind about VC. A good friend of mine (that I'm consulting with now) is running a startup backed by some very high-profile SV VCs and angels. The mentoring and connections I see him getting are phenomenal. These guys are shrewd investors, meaning they want to see the investment succeed and therefore are willing to do a lot of resource-connecting and mentoring for my friend. I'm not sure how else one would achieve so much entrepreneurial career development in such a short amount of time -- maybe it really can be a good deal and is worth transgressing LoC a little bit for major acceleration of alignment to the other Laws, in particular LoE (product dev capital barrier). Thoughts?

-Allen

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Welcome. Hey, BigData is here to stay. Sure scientists work with data alright, but "data scientist" is about that who's job is to work with data and only data, ridiculous amount of data. Upon reading your intro, that's what I was thinking. :) I'm a software developer but I know i gotta switch gears to BigData, data mining, etc. It's the future, it's pretty hot!

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey, I signed up for the forum with FBconnect, and it pulled in my full name from FB. I'd rather use an alias on here. I can't find a way in the settings to change my displayed name. Is it there? Or do I need help admin to manually change it for me? I tried to send MJ a private message and that didn't work.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I've heard a lot of these grants are almost no-bid, you just need to know where to find the hidden RFP. I can confirm it's the case for NIH/NSF (first-hand) and DoS (second-hand).
That is the beauty.

There are no hidden RFPs. They don't even have a SOW (Statement of Work). If you can influence the preparation of this SOW then you have a leg up on the competition (if there is any).

I had not heard about R, and I don't really know how much can be accomplished by data modeling as opposed to analyze the big data streams, so this is something that really peaks my interest.

Looking forward to more from you...

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles
My point, at a high level:
What we really need are analysts who are well versed in BI, ops, and algorithms (search).

Details:

BigData is here to stay
I agree with you, and would add that...

job is to work with data and only data, ridiculous amount of data
this is where we're seeing increasing awareness that data cannot be useful with out structure. As we view ordered bits as noise, we can also view a blob of data without understanding of its inherent structure as equally noisy and useless. It's this part of the conversation that's under-represented in the public discourse.

I'm predicting a hangover from the (over)exuberance for data processing, as CEOs come to realize that their product teams are over-investing in engineering and infrastructure. We can view the current trend as just a continuation from the NoSQL hype a few years ago. Having capacity to churn through huge volumes of information doesn't necessarily result in more business intelligence, more operational efficiency, or more of anything else.

The outputs needed from these processing systems can only be gained through understanding how the shape of the data varies with each observed factor (time, userID, etc). These insights typically don't require data volumes of the same magnitude -- the techniques used to produce these insights are robust to missing data (i.e. you can take a sample) because back in the old days when they were developed, making measurements was more expensive.

I also predict that, as awareness increases in the BigData space of this distinction between syntax and semantics, we'll see increased emphasis on the modeling expertise that comes with degrees in mathematics, statistics, economics, information retrieval, biostatistics, and genomics.

If you want to catch the wave, now would be a good time to start getting deep into probability/statistics, statistical machine learning (ML)/natural language processing (NLP), information retrieval (IR), and graph theory. There are several good books from Chris Manning, et al, you want to read them.

I can only speak about the stats/bio/CS topics, presumably there are hot topics from other fields. I've encountered counterfactual analysis (sociology&economics) and gamification (cog. psych.) recently. Very interested to hear more from community members watching other fields.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I agree. Gamification as a training tool is making a lot of noise lately...

the one I want to know more about these days is network traffic visualization... how to see on a map how a cyberattack is played live. A lot of millions ready to go for whoever solves this one.

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles
how to see on a map how a cyberattack is played live

I don't know anything about this, but my first crack at it would be animating with a visualization tool like walrus or osprey

Walrus - Gallery: Visualization & Navigation
OSPREY: Network Visualization System

Probably some virus propagation viz technique could be applied, along the lines of:
3115-disoriented-genomics-statistics-phd-budding-entrepreneur-codered-13-key2-labels-half.jpg

we use these kind of things in bioinformatics all the time.

Attachments

• codered-13-with-key2-labels-half.jpg
    codered-13-with-key2-labels-half.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content