The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Discovering A Need

SportsFan438

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 24, 2012
I apologize if this has been answered 100 of times on here, but I thought I would ask it anyways.

Im just wondering from people who have started businesses based on a need/problem, what were the steps they took in discovering it? I dont believe all businesses begin with solving a personal solution, but form by seeing a real world problem and becoming the solution. What areas did you find your problem in and am I asking the wrong questions if I want to know where I would find a problem at in say the sports industry? Is it merely a question of asking people, hey what do you struggle with most or is it more of a personal solution and discovered on ones own?

I know there isnt a cookie cutter answer for how I can discover a problem and thus become the solution to it, Im just wondering if there are techniques or advice someone would point me towards. Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Being observant is an important skill. If you do talk to someone asking the right questions is always a big help. If you arent able to talk to anyone being observant is number one.

If you are looking for a problem in the sports industry what part? Who has the problem? Is it a pro team that has a problem? is it a fan that has a problem? Is it a user that has a problem? A participant?

Go where they hang out. People always are complaining on message boards and blogs, that could be a start especially if you want to target fans.

If you want to target users start working out or playing recreational sports and see what people complain about.

Maybe this will help

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
There are several progress threads on this forum that explain people’s personal step-by-step experience of having an idea and turning it into a marketable product (ie: The Paintbrush Cover Progress Thread).
It seems like every week there are several “how I got my business up and running†stories in Inc, Entreprenuer.com and Forbs alone. Start looking…
As far as how to go about finding a need: there’s nothing wrong with discovering it by way of having it be your own need. Often times if you’re complaining about something, others are too. Problem is: the majority of folks don’t do anything beyond complaining.
You’re right, there is no cookie cutter answer. Just start observing…but don’t limit yourself. Often times people face obvious needs and ignore them because it’s not what they are specifically looking for (ie: you could be at sports game and stumble upon a need regarding public parking but fail to see it because you are looking for something specifically ‘sporty’).
If you find a need…stick with it---work on it….test the waters…etc etc etc. If it doesn’t work, then move on. But one at a time…..
Be patient….often times folks think that the clouds part and this idea just pops into their head and by the next week their product is on the shelves. It takes a lot of hard work, persistence and HONESTY about the reality of it all (because lets be honest, the majority of ideas either stink or the business fails in under 5 years of starting up). But just because you fail at one doesn’t mean that the next one (or the one after that) will be a hit. Just keep at it….

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
A lot of times, a problem will just hit you on the head.

Before I started focusing on my current project, I had the idea of durable sport headphones. My Bluetooth sport headphones somehow broke. The earpiece was mysteriously snapped off. I was absolutely livid cuz I knew these headphones were not exactly cheap. So I started thinking about how I could prevent it from happening again.

That must have been my 8th, 9th or 10th pair of headphones in the past 3 years, first Bluetooth sets. Out of commission within 10 days of use, no F*cking warranty (my mother had owned the pair for years before giving them to me, she hated them)

I'd need to build a prototype out of a material that is not commonly used with Bluetooth headphones. It would have to withstand common forces such as stepping (must be bend and snap-resistant), sweat, rain and snow damage, cord damage, and cold/heat. It would need to be Bluetooth (...duh) and it would need to fit comfortably on any size head.

I started researching my competition and there wasn't too much by way of it. The competition was my old headphones (Plantronics Backbeats, sorry for name-dropping), Jabra Sport, and a few other Bluetooth sets that were missing one or more of my criteria. Pretty big companies (not like Samsung or anything like that, but still pretty big) but it's nothing a little bit of branding couldn't beat.

I saw the pessimism of the public. People on audiophile forums said things like 'There's no such thing as an indestructible pair, just take care of them and don't step on them or let the cord get damaged'.

I gave up on the idea, even though it could make someone else a multi-millionaire.

logic

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 29, 2013
Wisconsin
Here's what I do (It hasn't worked yet, I started doing this two weeks ago, but it gave me a list of like 15 small ideas to work with):

Go to http://www.twinitor.com/ (If I can't post links, google "twinitor")

Type in something like "I wish" or "I hate" or "I wish there was an app" or " I wish there was a website" and it will aggregate all of the tweets that have that phrase in them. You'll get some good ideas from people who are explicitly expressing a need!

Good luck!

EDIT: You can also go to Small Business Ideas and Resources for Entrepreneurs and look at the top 5000 businesses, see what they're doing, see what you could improve upon, see what are the most popular industries.

I'm not successful yet but these are tactics I've been using.

Last edited:

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
One of my "antennae" has always been that an unfulfilled search could be an opportunity.

I.e many years ago (has to be over 12 years ago now!) I registered the name of a generic pharmaceutical, on a whim, when I saw the news that the patent protection had not been extended and that meant generics could start operating.

I forgot about the domain until a year later I started getting the odd email inquiry from people asking out of the blue, if they could purchase said generic pharmaceutical from my "website" (which didn't even exist!)

So I started looking around and found while the generic was legal and being manufactured, there were practically no places online where you could buy this stuff. I finally found an obscure online pharmacy in Australia and made a deal with them to drop ship on my orders. I put up the crappiest website imaginable but lo and behold, it converted. They even processed the payments for me and once a month wired my commissions to an online bank account based out of Eastern Europe.

It brought in a steady $500+ / month in passive income and eventually I figured I either had to take it up a notch or fold it, I was starting to get customer support issues, etc. So I sold it.

Here's where it gets interesting. The guy who bought it from me, over the space of 3 years or so, turned it into a $6 Million / year business! He really took it to the next level, while I was just sitting around in my underwear in my spare time emailing people and setting up drop ship deals, this guy was getting on planes, flying to India, flying to Pakistan, visiting the facilities where they were making the stuff, etc. Flying to Tuvalu to setup his banking, everything. He had a background in the industry so he knew exactly what to do and boy did he do it.

To me, it was just a novel "domaining play" where I turned hand-registered domain ($10/year) into a $6000/year income stream. Done, add it to the pile, move onto the next one. But this guy, well he just wanted something to springboard with, he had bigger ideas and all it took was the mindshift from mine to his to really take it to the next level.

Sorry for the tangent, however that episode taught me two things: unsuccessful searches can be pointing at opportunities, and there is nothing stopping a small enterprise from becoming a much larger one.

(This is along the same lines as logic who posted twinitor.com, basically you are scanning for problems that haven't been solved yet)

I created a type of process map out of this at the time that simply went like this:

1) discover the need
2) solve the problem
3) create the prototype / proof of concept
4) launch it and if it works
5) turn up the gain

In this case step 5 was carried out by somebody else (with a vengeance!)

I still talk to him from time to time as he's a longtime customer of my main business.

SportsFan438

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 24, 2012
Wow amazed at all the great feedback, ideas, and personal experiences, thanks!

Nomad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 6, 2013
Hey AntiGuru, that's a great story - just shows what's possible with a bit of experience and a desire to "turn up the gain" :)

From my own research it seems like discovering needs and thinking of new ideas is like exercising a muscle; the more you do it the better you become at it. Think of things you do in your life that you could improve on and write them down. If you find it difficult, keep going and really push yourself - that zone of discomfort is what helps you to grow.

Also to reiterate what has been said previously, you need to really listen attentively. People complain all the time, so much that we are used to it and just brush it off. What they are really doing is providing someone with an opportunity to solve their problem or need for them.

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Thanks Nomad.

Similar one I was just thinking about recently, but when you catch yourself thinking "somebody ought to ...." STOP RIGHT THERE. Somebody ought to what? What if that somebody is you, then what happens?

I'm surprised I didn't mention this one originally because that's pretty well how my main business came into existence.

infinitus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Sep 22, 2012
Perth Western Australia
I like MJ's youtube advice of following the complainers and "I hate when....." crowd

At the same time I think its 10x powerful to hone in on your wealth personality/entreprenuer profile so any idea you have works that much better and in harmony with how you are structured. E.g. Trump is a dealmaker, Gates is a creator. Wealth Dynamics is the system I used to realize I was a creator, so every idea I have I figure out how best to bring to market in fastest way

Beau

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 8, 2013
Just used twinitor and searched "Can someone invent". Apparently 90% of the world wants a time machine. Had no idea there were so many Uncle Rico's out there.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
Also, the world really wants a middle finger Emoji.

Beau

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 8, 2013
I guess there are some decent ideas to be used as starting points:

Someone needs to invent a #shoe that you can reconfigure in your hotel room. Then you only need to pack one pair!

Why doesn't someone invent a clear toaster so you can see how toasted your toast is while toasting.(been done I believe, but how well?)

Ugh bags are packed for Mersea, someone needs to invent a pillow that you can fit in your pocket and then expands when you need it(Not a bad idea)

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
A good book to read is "Where good ideas come from". One of the key concepts is that it is very rare for people to come across a truly unique idea, most ideas are a combination or amalgamation of things that already exist. Take the iPhone for example, phones already existed, iPods already existed and touch screen technology has been available for ages, the innovation was in merging these things.

You can increase your chances of coming across a winning idea by exposing yourself to as much information as possible. Get out and talk to people, read magazines, blogs etc. The more you learn, the more educated questions you will be able to ask and the deeper you will be able to delve into the needs of your target market.

That being said, don't wait forever, if you have half an idea try it out, build on it, refine it and make it better. If you are waiting for an idea that is a 100% sure thing you'll be waiting forever!

fastlaneCoder

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Apr 10, 2012
Georgia, USA
For me to find good ideas/needs (or at least what I think are good ideas). I have to "step outside of my own mind" and view things from other's points of view. As long as I'm just looking for a quick buck I just come up with crappy ideas that don't really solve anybody's problem(s). I just take a step back and see what others are doing/going through....I've gotten what seems like some good ideas so far and I'm working on them.

One thing that's traditionally interfered with my "fastlane sensors" is the fact that I would often restrict myself to things that can be solved by an app (web/mobile...desktop..etc). This would make me entirely oblivious to ALL OTHER POSSIBLE probems. It was a way of staying in my comfort zone!

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Ask people what there problems are, in their business or in their life in general. Most people will tell you something silly, but occasionally someone will say something that will get your imagination firing. Ask everyone, the people you least expect will give you the best answers.

ilonak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 15, 2013
New York, NY
Here's what I do (It hasn't worked yet, I started doing this two weeks ago, but it gave me a list of like 15 small ideas to work with):

Go to http://www.twinitor.com/ (If I can't post links, google "twinitor")

Type in something like "I wish" or "I hate" or "I wish there was an app" or " I wish there was a website" and it will aggregate all of the tweets that have that phrase in them. You'll get some good ideas from people who are explicitly expressing a need!

What an awesome website! I checked it out.... Thanks!

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
It was Seth Godin who wrote these gems of wisdom:

"You will almost never find a case study or lesson that precisely fits the problem you're aiming to solve. You won't find a book that shows you what someone precisely like you did to solve a problem precisely like this one.
The search for the exact case study or the exact prescription is the work of the resistance, a clever way to stay safe, to protect yourself from your boss or your self-talk. If you wait for the perfect map before departing on your journey, you'll never have to leave.
It's also true, though, that you have never once had to solve a problem that is exactly different from what's gone down before. We'd like to romanticize our problems as unique, as the one and only perfectly difficult situation that is the result of a confluence of unrepeatable, unique causes.
Your problem is your problem, and it is like no other. But it's close enough to those that came before, close enough to the ones you've studied, that it probably pays to stop stalling and take the leap."

Seth Godin Jan 21, 2013

I've found that if I just step out into the world, with my eyes and ears open and listen to people; it won't be long before 'the world' will open up to you their needs....

Randall

S

stranger

I did find a problem; i found goods that go ok at ebay and our store. I'm not a fastlaner yet, but i free of debts too.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
In these cases I have found that most people(me as well in the past) tend to over-think ideas and strain to come up with something nobody else has done or heard of. Or if they do a net search and they find one or a few of the same they quit or skip it. This is probably 99% of the time a big mistake. Bringing something entirely new takes a lot of money to educate the public. So what if a couple people are doing the same thing in other markets. The globe is a bigass place. Heck, in my suburban town I have a dry cleaner on every dang corner and they all seem to stay in business. Many times you don't even have to do things much better than anyone else, just get out there and execute and do something.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
My Bluetooth sport headphones somehow broke.
Seems like a good place to say my sleephones are shorting out like a dollar store set. :( And first recommendation from fastlane. Total failure. They shouldn't be shorting out since Christmas Day. lol

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Between me & my son and headphones, I think I just need to invest in a company that makes them, and get free samples. Ha ha! It's annoying when goes out and both and than they work. Frustrates you, and doesn't matter how much you pay for them, or company. The best pair I've had is the Urbeats. I suppose that's why they advertise : Made to take a beating. :)

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
I didn't discover a need. I just got into a field related to my talent & skills and found out that 99.99% of the competition sucked hard. They lack good skills & talent and they don't know what they're doing with regards to strategy. They also lack a lot of drive.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Most of my ideas come from needs of fellow web developers and business owners. Many of them are my own needs. Also, hunt through support forums, quora, any place people might be looking for an answer to a question.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
A few years ago, I wrote on another web site that I wished there were a keyboard like a standard PC keyboard with full height keys and no tenkey pad. All the existing compact keyboards were laptop style keyboards. Now the kind of keyboard I wanted is available. I wonder if someone read my post and used my idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.