The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Despair

Chuferd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 5, 2011
Indianapolis
I should have never read this book I simply do not have what it takes to accomplish anything. Each idea I have had is total garbage. I am 42 and it is just too late in life. I spend literally hours upon hours trying to think of anything at all that would even make me just an extra 100 dollars a month and there is nothing. I tried investing and have lost 2500, I put adds on craigslist to do odd jobs and I got 1 response and made 50 bucks, I tried to buy domain names and they were all garbage, I tried to design websites and I hit a brick wall, I looked into franchises, buying a business, everywhere I turn there is nothing. Just like MJ said I add 0 value to the world so I get 0 in return. I tried to look into patenting ideas that I have and the process is mind blowingly complicated. I know that MJ himself said he reached the point of depression but when you have an original idea like he had no wonder he's rich. Also I have gotten no usable information from this forum, which I thought was going to be a good resource. Still scraping by on next to nothing. I dig in the trash to find aluminum cans and other scrap metal and I still have a job although it is harder and harder to make any money there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
What is your address? I can just fedex a gun to you to end the pain.

Yeah, I say this in jest. And yes, I'm a bit of an a**hole. So be it.

But I have never actually read anything this pathetic in my life.

I simply do not have what it takes to accomplish anything.

check

Each idea I have had is total garbage.

check

I am 42 and it is just too late in life

check

there is nothing

check

they were all garbage

check

I add 0 value to the world so I get 0 in return

Now you are starting to get somewhere...

when you have an original idea like he had no wonder he's rich

do you seriously think this is why he attained success?

My first real business was assembling bicycles out of the box for local walmart stores. It quickly led to 6, then 7 figure income.

Dude, I was assembling bicycles!!! F*ckING brilliant idea...

no usable information from this forum,

hahahahahah

You need to get your mind right, but right now you are drowning in loser/victim mentality. Seriously this paragraph reads like a joke, and I hope it is - if not you need to fix yourself internally.

You aren't even at the point where you can have a good idea. You first need a good state of mind. Pick up some of the old school PMA books from Peale, Schwartz, Robbins, etc.

When you drop the victim mindset, then you can open your eyes to see opportunity. Ideas are everywhere, but execution is all that matters.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
but when you have an original idea like he had no wonder he's rich

I bet if you spent 5 minutes looking up leads on the internet, I'm will to bet you'll find other sites before MJ's had the same idea. Maybe not will limos, but it is the SAME idea, executed differently...

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
You dont have to come up with an original idea, ideas are everywhere. Look at whats popular on the iphone app store.
Could you create an app like that? Kindle book store- can you research and write about that topic?

You dont have to look very far to find ideas on this forum- you can steal them and do it yourself. Recently i saw a thread, someone asking if their business was a good idea. It was and you could compete if you have a little creativity and willing to do the work to make it happen rather than feeling sorry for yourself.

PM me if you want an idea that could seriously work for you, ill give you it for free. Im willing to bet you wont do anything with it tho. You probably do have good ideas but quickly shoot them down as being stupid and look for a million reasons why it will fail and why its not worth trying. I think youll do the same with "my" idea (which i "stole") if i hand it to you on a plate. Probably find reasons and convince yourself why it wont work.

Theyre right infront of you but you seem to be blind to them. I dont know what to say.

edit- i sent you a PM with not one BUT 2 ideas! Im probably not gonna do anything with them (since i have others to work on) although i might since theyre that great :) Please get back and let me know what you think of them!!!
I copied them from other people and added my thought on how to improve- im sure if you have the tiniest bit of creativity you can think of ways to improve the idea too/add you own twist and be making way more than a grand a month from either one. no more excuses.

Good luck

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Create a blog on how to recycle scrap metal. Setup a form to collect email addresses and promise to current metal prices on a weekly basis (and do it). Encourage visitors to send you questions. Create an ebook that answers the questions and includes details on the recycling process, how much to have before going to the recycle station, how it should be divided and boxed, things that can be recycled, etc. Sell the ebook on the site for $27.00, I'm in Indianapolis too, so you can drop my royalty check off at the end of every month.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow, that post made me lol. I was wondering if this was a real post or sarcasm.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Reading threads like this inspires me. Not in the 'well at least I'm not THAT guy' way, but more of the 'this guy is just one of the millions of people in the country who feels that way. If I can beat that feeling, I can become rich.'

Nobody here is a stranger to depression. Everyone goes through it at least once in their life, many of whom go through it when they are most successful. It's getting past it that's the key; if you can get past this nadir of your life, you can become rich.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Nothing surprising here... we have all been there. In fact I tend to believe that anyone who have accomplished anything worth any value has been there.

Now that you are there, the important thing is not to stay there. Keep moving. Keep hoping and dreaming for a better day. This is not normal -- refuse to accept it and keep moving and you will see after not too long, the clouds will pass by and it will be sunny again.

Do not give up.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"I am 42 and it is just too late in life."

Your post pissed me off and I hope that it is a joke/troll.

Out of everything stupid about your sad post, this is maybe the stupidest. You see, I am 42 and I reached financial freedom this year after having to reinvent myself yet again. I have been to the top of the mountain, and to the bottom of the pit you are in. I am almost to the top of the mountain again, only this time with a plan on how to stay there.

Your comment about your age is a stupid, slow lane excuse. You owe me 2 minutes of my life that I will never get back for having read your post. Stop wallowing in your own spit. The world owes you nothing. If you think you are too old (rediculous)... than you ARE.

I am not here to be your cheerleader. If you can't pick yourself up by your own boot straps (maybe you are too old...?) than cash it in and accept your life in the slow lane.

I have failed 100 times. And I get back up the next day willing to roll the dice again, because the alternative is death. Make the choice. Get yourself back up off the mat (without anyone helping you to get up) or wallow in your own self pity.

If you were looking for someone to sympathize with your position, I am not your guy. Having been kicked squarely in the nuts by life, I can tell you that the only alternative is to FIGHT BACK.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Most entrepreneurs are wealthy not because of their 'unique idea' but because of their inability to give into despair in order to provide what the market wants.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
lso I have gotten no usable information from this forum

Oh c'mon. Surely the links to resources alone is worth a subscription, a paid one. Granted the noise to signal is getting worse, but the search box is your friend.

Start looking to change jobs. A tip - buy locally, sell on Ebay. Good luck.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Your attitude is toast - you need a win.

Here's some easy marching orders that will get you a win.

1) Search the term "ASAP"on your local Craigslist for anything less than $100. This will turn up folks desperate for money, or sick of listing their stuff. When reviewing the ad, make sure they're trying to sell ASAP, and they sound desperate.

2) Make a list of 10-20 items that fit your criteria. Go on eBay and do a search for each of those items. Filter for "Completed Listing" and look only at the SOLD items. This will give you an idea of what they actually sell for on eBay.

3) Rank your list by margin percentage.

4) Call, text, or email each of the craigslist sellers and offer 75% of their asking price. Tell them you have cash and can be there in an hour. This whole process will build in your guaranteed profit. You don't know exactly how much the profit will be, but it will be there.

5) When a seller accepts your offer, go buy your widget. Make sure it works, and is in decent shape.

6) Clean your widget up. Take good photos of it on a plain background. Pictures sell - make them good.

7) List it on eBay. If you feel adventurous, list it as a no-reserve auction. If not, offer it at a Buy It Now price somewhere between the lowest and average SOLD price. The idea is not to get the absolute highest price you can for it; you want to sell it NOW. Churn that money.

8) Figure your shipping cost based on UPS ground to the farthest point in the US, mark that up 15%, and round up to the nearest dollar. List that as your shipping price.

Follow that advice, and you will buy at the right price, sell to someone with a need (you're creating value), and make a profit. More importantly, you will come out with a better attitude. Winning is easy, and it builds a positive outlook, which makes winning even easier. I don't care if you only double a $20 flip, it will build an emotional foundation from which you can move forward.

To sweeten the pot, if you need the help, I will bankroll your first purchase. Once you've gone thru steps 1 thru 5, let me know how much you need and I will PayPal it to you. Do the remaining steps, collect your profit, and do it again. Once you've got at least twice the bankroll amount, make this same offer to someone else that needs a win.

Good luck, and let me know.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Create a blog on how to recycle scrap metal. Setup a form to collect email addresses and promise to current metal prices on a weekly basis (and do it). Encourage visitors to send you questions. Create an ebook that answers the questions and includes details on the recycling process, how much to have before going to the recycle station, how it should be divided and boxed, things that can be recycled, etc. Sell the ebook on the site for $27.00, I'm in Indianapolis too, so you can drop my royalty check off at the end of every month.

You know, I think this is a great idea! If you're cashing in cans & bottles you find, then you've got some insight that other people would find useful.

It may sound stupid, but when I was turning in bags of cans, I found a couple bags had beer bottles in them. I took out the bottles and lined them up on the tailgate to make sure I didn't mix them with the cans and the guy next to me asked if I planned on recycling the bottles too. I just considered them trash, but his comment made me put the bottles in another container and recycle them. I ended up with another $15 from what I was about to throw away. Not everyone considers that bottles are worth money too, but with the proper nudge they'll recognize it. That's worth something.

Remember, it's not about the home runs - it's about hitting lots of singles. This could be a good single.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I took my truck to the full service carwash the other day. During the wash I took a yellow legal pad in the waiting area for writing down ideas.

First I was sitting in the inside waiting area and writing. When I got tired of that setting I moved to the outdoor waiting area and wrote some more. I also looked at the business card bulletin board.

At the end of the wash I had come up with 27 different ideas and I know I could have had more if I stayed there longer. Most of the ideas were not original ideas but I was looking at the current implementation and how I might do it better.

When I met Andviv on Tuesday, I told him of one of the ideas and we were both amazed at the simplicity and how obvious the business idea was. Why didn't I think of that! Now, how to do it better?

Your mindset has to change before you can see what is right in front of your face.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I should have never read this book I simply do not have what it takes to accomplish anything. Each idea I have had is total garbage. I am 42 and it is just too late in life. I spend literally hours upon hours trying to think of anything at all that would even make me just an extra 100 dollars a month and there is nothing. I tried investing and have lost 2500, I put adds on craigslist to do odd jobs and I got 1 response and made 50 bucks, I tried to buy domain names and they were all garbage, I tried to design websites and I hit a brick wall, I looked into franchises, buying a business, everywhere I turn there is nothing. Just like MJ said I add 0 value to the world so I get 0 in return. I tried to look into patenting ideas that I have and the process is mind blowingly complicated. I know that MJ himself said he reached the point of depression but when you have an original idea like he had no wonder he's rich. Also I have gotten no usable information from this forum, which I thought was going to be a good resource. Still scraping by on next to nothing. I dig in the trash to find aluminum cans and other scrap metal and I still have a job although it is harder and harder to make any money there.

The woe is me crowd is better off looking for a steady job. Or looking for new employment. You need to change your attitude or you are wasting your time in entrepreneurship.

All of us with the exception of lights have a plan. :D Work on it and dont expect us to hand you an idea. That is a very employee like habit.

Im just curious, do you agree with occupy wall street?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

D

DeletedUser2

Im just curious, do you agree with occupy wall street?

I think he believes in occupy himself...

im 42

like vigilante, I have made a ton of money, and lost it and made it several times.

getting kicked in the nuts is the price of admission to any kind of success.

if you cant find a good idea, that's why they make franchises. not original, done for you. just add you.

bottom line is this your not going to get any "aw, buck up little camper, its not that bad, you can do it" speeches in the forum.

if you say you will DO something we will all cheer. if you show up with a sad sack story, were going to fill your sack with shit.

you wont last long here like that.

now if you change, even a little, or DO something. THEN your welcome, and we will all cheer you on. sympathy? that's another forum. good luck
Z

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
I think he believes in occupy himself...

im 42

like vigilante, I have made a ton of money, and lost it and made it several times.

getting kicked in the nuts is the price of admission to any kind of success.

if you cant find a good idea, that's why they make franchises. not original, done for you. just add you.

bottom line is this your not going to get any "aw, buck up little camper, its not that bad, you can do it" speeches in the forum.

if you say you will DO something we will all cheer. if you show up with a sad sack story, were going to fill your sack with shit.

you wont last long here like that.

now if you change, even a little, or DO something. THEN your welcome, and we will all cheer you on. sympathy? that's another forum. good luck
Z

Well, he just leaves more room for the rest of us to have ideas.

Chuferd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 5, 2011
Indianapolis
I designed a recycling business from the ground up called Smalltimerecycling.com The need is clear in Indy. I thought of the idea when i found that there was nowhere in the entire metro area that I could get paid for glass and plastic, only scrap metal. I currently have closed the account and the website is disabled. My business plan is my website. There are clearly buyers for bulk glass and plastic on the back end of my operation. I can reopen the account today. I have 20,000 dollars. I planned on using no credit to get this off the ground. If you are in Indy perhaps you could mentor me a bit not for free of course. I am really good at coming up with ideas but making them a reality eludes me. All I need is a facility with all applicable permits and licenses but I do not even know where to begin. I think a fraction of my savings could get this rolling. I hit a roadblock and I didn't try to smash through it

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I designed a recycling business from the ground up called Smalltimerecycling.com The need is clear in Indy. I thought of the idea when i found that there was nowhere in the entire metro area that I could get paid for glass and plastic, only scrap metal. I currently have closed the account and the website is disabled. My business plan is my website. There are clearly buyers for bulk glass and plastic on the back end of my operation. I can reopen the account today. I have 20,000 dollars. I planned on using no credit to get this off the ground. If you are in Indy perhaps you could mentor me a bit not for free of course. I am really good at coming up with ideas but making them a reality eludes me. All I need is a facility with all applicable permits and licenses but I do not even know where to begin. I think a fraction of my savings could get this rolling. I hit a roadblock and I didn't try to smash through it

This sounds like an idea that might get some traction at Kickstarter, they love the "green" projects, but I am thinking 20k barely gets your permits done. I am not your guy to mentor you on that level of project.

Chuferd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 5, 2011
Indianapolis
Long story short. I made a website called smalltimerecycling.com It is a scrapyard for everything from plastic bottles, glass, cardboard and about 20 other mostly nonmetalic items. In Indianapolis there is NO where to get paid for small amounts of recyclable items. Thus my name smalltimerecycling. I am going to reinstate my account for the website as I closed it in disgust with my self for not being able to move forward with it. I KNOW there is a clear need for something like this in Indy. Curbside is not catching on here because you have to pay for it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"I hit a roadblock and I didn't try to smash through it"

Now you're getting somewhere.

Entrepking

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 24, 2012
You definitely have the right attitude. Knowing when you hit a roadblock is great, and as cheesy as it may sound, here are some ways in which to overcome business roadblocks. We all run into them sometimes:

Reflect - Sometimes just taking a step back and reflecting is the perfect way to solve a problem. Clearing your head and a fresh approach may be answer.

Plan of Action - If you plan on going forward or revising your idea, you will need to carefully plan how to structure your new business and how it will be different from your last one.

Be Competitive - Don't give up. Establish a competitive spirit, follow through, and persevere.

Get Help - Certain undertakings may simply be too much for you to handle. If you find yourself overwhelmed, it may be time to learn from people who have overcome similar obstacles.

Educate Yourself - Sometimes gaining more knowledge in the field is the best way to overcome your obstacles. Work smarter not harder, and use all of the resources available to you.

Hope these help!

Chuferd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 5, 2011
Indianapolis
I am working you plan. No success yet but it is a very well thought out plan and I am now looking for good salable merchandise from desperate sellers:thankyousign:

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I get a message saying "Unable to load this blog".

I like your logo, but it's too big.

I like the spot price graphs, but you need more helpful info. A Google map showing recycling facilities would be good.

Stridone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jan 13, 2012
Blog is up now.

It's good that you are taking action, keep doing that. My first glance at the site brings to mind three things:

1. The purpose of the website is not very clear. It's not effective in attracting customers at all in my opinion. Or is that not your goal right now?

2. I don't see something like this working without a physical drop off center.

3. The site does not look professional, the logo is in low resolution and the site does not scale well with my (smaller) resolution.

But keep up the good work and don't give up!

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
Hi,

Your despair:
No one said it was gonna be easy. In fact, it’s hard as shit in the beginning. If it was easy, everybody would do it, but it’s not… Commandment of Entry.
And btw, I agree with others that the website needs some work. You should compare your websites to others and see if it’s on par. I use that as a gauge for many other things: “How do I stack up with others?†“How can I do it better?â€

Your age:
I was reading “The Magic of Thinking Big†by David J. Schwartz and came across his thoughts on age. I took some photos of those few pages for you… in general, I think the book is a good read and I recommend it.
Here are the links to the pages…
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts