The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

College Degree: Business, Nursing, or something un-related?

Lamia

Banned
Dec 28, 2010
In your opinion, what college degree do you believe will help me fulfill my goal of owning a business? And if worse comes to worse, and my goal of owning a business fails then what college degree will help me find an employer so I can still survive.

I am looking at business degrees right now, but I am not sure if it’s truly worth to get a business degree but rather a nursing degree so I can get a job. And then try to do my business on the side, but still the nursing degree will be worthless if my business becomes a success while the skills of a business degree will help me, probably.

My business plan is around the idea of night clubs/bars currently. Maybe I should get a degree in that field?

Also, a big reason why I want a college degree is just to say I have one, and to be okay-financially. It's not really something I see as necessary, but I might as well do it for my self-dignity as in getting a job.

I am probably going to go to a community college than transfer, while doing a part-time job during those years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
The degree of doing. The real world and marketplace is the best educator to what you are trying to accomplish.
A degree (for the sake of having a degree) is a unnecessary detour to your goals.

• Banned

Lamia

Banned
Dec 28, 2010
The degree of doing. The real world and marketplace is the best educator to what you are trying to accomplish.
A degree is a unnecessary detour to your goals.

That would be the best option for me, but I am a believer that a degree will open doors.

Statistically, most millionaires do have a degree.

And what can I tell people at 30, if I have no degree/major success happening? I would be a failure, since dreams can only go so far.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
This is really just something you need to do research on and come to your own conclusion. It shouldn't matter to you what a group of strangers on a message board think.

Especially on a topic like this because everyone here because we're all on different sides of the fence with whether or not it's "necessary". I think everyone will agree though you need to just look more into what is going to get you where you want to go, and do that. It's your choice what you study.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Lamia,
If your long range goal is to own a business, then a business degree makes much more sense than nursing. It certainly isn't necessary to own a business, but you will learn critical thinking and analytical skills that will benefit you.

As for business degrees, I would recommend finance or economics, or both. You should also seriously consider studying a foreign language while in school as well. Being multi-lingual is a huge advantage in the business world.

I would however recommend against community college. While it seems like a good idea due to cost issues, one of the biggest advantages of getting a university degree is the connections you make.

Being at a university for 4 years will allow you more time to develop relationships, plus the intellectual capacity is much great at university than at community college.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
As for me, I am an 18 year old with the same path as you though. But frankly I might not continue going to college. I would recommend you go to a 4 year university because at community colllege, I see that most people take it easy at everything which is a bad thing.

For the degree you are thinking of business or nursing. Like GlobalWealth stated, get a degree in finance or economics. I am aiming for a degree in finance because I like dealing with money, you can be a chief financial officer. As for owning a business, a degree in finance will probably better help you understand the way that money flows in and out of your business and you will be better able to manage your own personal money better with a finance degree. Just my two cents

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
In your opinion, what college degree do you believe will help me fulfill my goal of owning a business? And if worse comes to worse, and my goal of owning a business fails then what college degree will help me find an employer so I can still survive.

I am looking at business degrees right now, but I am not sure if it’s truly worth to get a business degree but rather a nursing degree so I can get a job. And then try to do my business on the side, but still the nursing degree will be worthless if my business becomes a success while the skills of a business degree will help me, probably.

My business plan is around the idea of night clubs/bars currently. Maybe I should get a degree in that field?

Also, a big reason why I want a college degree is just to say I have one, and to be okay-financially. It's not really something I see as necessary, but I might as well do it for my self-dignity as in getting a job.

I am probably going to go to a community college than transfer, while doing a part-time job during those years.

I would vote for a business degree and then get a part time job tending bar. You would see the bar business first hand and get your formal education. Frankly this is a pretty time tested process, many people work their way thru college this way

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
If your putting yourself in debt to get a degree then don't bother. Nothing will kill your dreams faster then 500-1000 a month school payments.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
If your putting yourself in debt to get a degree then don't bother. Nothing will kill your dreams faster then 500-1000 a month school payments.

I do agree with this. To me this is totally a business decision. You are paying for a product, knowledge and networking. You need to analyze what you will get for your investment. You also need to figure out how to pay for it and if/how debt fits in the picture.

We have too many teens going to college with no plan, incurring tens of thousands of dollars in debt for a degree and they still don't know what to do. This debt is permanent, it lasts a lifetime. This debt does not go away with bankruptcy. Do not go incur $80,000 college debt for a job that pays $30,000 a year. It does not make financial sense.

You need to sit down with an impartial person and work the numbers and your plan. Only you can determine your path and whether college fits into it. Good luck.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
How about a degree in entrepreneurship?

As much as I subscribe to a DIY, alternative learning, "non-conformist" mindset/track in life, I am going to college. Some 195 colleges offer entrepreneurship degrees (including some realllly good ones), and they offer courses in all the core business skills you'll need, plus specialized courses in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. I was just checking out Northeastern's program this morning, they've got some great course offerings.

That way you get a business degree that doesn't teach you how to get a job. You get a business degree that teaches you to START and OWN a business.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
That would be the best option for me, but I am a believer that a degree will open doors.

Statistically, most millionaires do have a degree.

And what can I tell people at 30, if I have no degree/major success happening? I would be a failure, since dreams can only go so far.

You are thinking like an employee.

Most millionaires START thinking this way, then realize their schooling did not help them.

Getting a college degree is a marker for being able to see something through-- to be able to complete things.

If you are an employee (or trying to get a job), having that degree tells an employer you can stick with something-- that you're not a fly by night.

But from a standpoint of actual business success? The "millionaires" might have degrees, but that's not what this site is about.

Look the the billionaires. See WHEN they got their degrees. Many of them dropped out of college b/c their businesses were growing so fast. They then got their degrees later-- sometimes while running their businesses at the same time. And the really big famous guys wind up getting honorary degrees.

I got a BS, and have never regretted it. But I've also never used it (it was in Psychology, with a minor in Biomedical Sciences).

You know what you need, that you absolutely cannot get a degree in?

Sales.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Here's a fun site:

Billionaire College Dropouts.

GOING to college is great. So is finishing.

But the most important model here (see above) is getting a business going that is so flat out successful that you need to drop out b/c you're so busy making money.

Note that growing from $0 to $500 a month does not mean you need to drop out. But if you're bringing in, say, $50,000 a month and the biz is growing so fast you need to focus-- THAT is when it's time to take an indeterminate leave of absence.

-Russ H.

Lamia

Banned
Dec 28, 2010
Here's a fun site:

Billionaire College Dropouts.

GOING to college is great. So is finishing.

But the most important model here (see above) is getting a business going that is so flat out successful that you need to drop out b/c you're so busy making money.

Note that growing from $0 to $500 a month does not mean you need to drop out. But if you're bringing in, say, $50,000 a month and the biz is growing so fast you need to focus-- THAT is when it's time to take an indeterminate leave of absence.

-Russ H.

Thanks,

This idea means the most to me, since really that's what will probably happen if the business succeeds.

archon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 6, 2010
From a current transitioning slowlaner- let me tell you the problem with your plan:

Getting a nursing degree is not a way to ensure employment. My wife (with her 3.75 GPA) in nursing school has yet to land a full time job almost 6 months after graduation. She has her RN, and a bachelors in science, (going for her MS in nursing now) and no one wants to give her the time of day until she gets a year experience under her belt (not counting any of the rotations/whatnot she earned during her school time).

That's about 5 years (and running) without any serious payday/return on investment. Lucky for her, she has an overworked husband to foot the bill.

With population/demographics being what they are- you will probably eventually land A job as a nurse, but you are still dependent on local economies. Understand most good nurses are not leaving their jobs like they used to, so newbs like yourself will have that much harder of a time getting into the game- especially since many other older folks are moving to become nurses because it is so "secure", thus drying up most open positions.
Now, if you are telling me that you will get your nursing degree- tough it out for two years afterwards while going to school for finance- and then use said knowledge to open your own nursing/home health endeavor- well now you are cooking.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada

I can't help but wonder if this is your true motive. If so, I suggest you figure out what it is you're actually looking for (Is it prestige? Is it success? Is it both?), so you can define a way to achieve it.

Incidentally, I wouldn't say you're a failure unless you've settled for that title. More that you're just not successful yet. It isn't that big of a deal either, most people are in school until they're at least 19, often go for more schooling after that, then go into some rutty apprenticeship/lame entree level position and don't begin to see anything like 'success' as it's standardly defined until they're at least 30.

... Which leads me to a realization: A degree isn't a 'success'. It's a piece of paper that lets you take on a career that, once you reach a certain stage of it, people then call you a success.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
OK, guys, we've been played again. It seems this person really wants our attention and our sympathy. MsPacMan, Charlotte, or whoever you are, we have treated you humanely repeatedly. Please go away and be the success you have dreamed of.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Many of them dropped out of college b/c their businesses were growing so fast. They then got their degrees later-- sometimes while running their businesses at the same time.

I dropped out at 19 to run my business. I got my degree after selling my company. I am glad I did it and enjoyed the process, but clearly didn't need the degree to run a company.

However, I did learn things at uni that would have been nice to know during the early years of my company. I can see how I could have avoided many mistakes had I knew what I learned in college.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
This idea means the most to me, since really that's what will probably happen if the business succeeds.

"when" not "if".

If you cannot burn the bridge of mediocrity, you will be destined to recross it.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009