The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Case Study: How I make 4K monthly from an "UNPROFITABLE" Blog

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
A few months ago I quit my job. In the time since then, I have gone from a minor depression and questioning whether I could find the fastlane to monetizing an unprofitable asset. Now I'm back risking it all on a joint venture e-commerce business with a partner that I've never even met in real life. Back on track. :icon_super:

The background

Former e-commerce startup guy, who escaped the world of chasing VC money and glamorous exits to follow my passion. Eventually I landed an easy corporate job that paid well and allowed me to pursue my side hustles. After a massive failure at SaaS (really hard if you're not a programmer), my music blog really started to take off. Eventually I quit my job figuring that a mix of my consulting and other jobs would pay the bills.

Well after quitting I went out and partied for a while. Then I was back on the couch watching series on Netflix, slightly depressed and questioning whether I was cut out for this life or good enough to make my dreams happen. I think as entrepreneurs, go-getters and fast laners if you don't question what you're doing every once and a while, then you're crazy.

The music site

I started an electronic dance music blog back in 2011 as a way to share my favorite songs with friends. Music blogging was much different then and "EDM" hadn't really taken off in America yet. Fast forward to today and we're doing 500,000 pageviews a month with a hosting bill at WPEngine that will make you scream like you sat on a needle. Adsense wasn't doing it for us and affiliate offers didn't pay or convert well. It was becoming an expensive passion project.

What changed in the "edm blog" world was that as more people became interested, the focus shifted from the music to the stars like Deadmau5 or Skrillex. People would read anything about their favorite DJs, they had become the new rockstars of our era. Previously we posted mostly music releases, but had changed our content types more to match what you'll find on a Buzzfeed or Gawker. Content to be consumed easily and shared.

Wait so how did you make this profitable...

Blogging, business, everything is about providing value. Who was getting the most value out of our posts? Because clearly as it was running at -600 a month, it wasn't us.

The value chain looked something like this...

1.) The reader: They're getting their news, free music and everything related to the topic in one place.

2.) The artist: The blog literally served as a place for free publicity for their music and promotion.

3.) Business: The big music festivals, club promoters, etc need our audience to buy tickets to their shows.

By evaluating the value chain, I considered charging consumers for the content. But opted against it because of the amount of competition and substitute products out there, plus information should be free and people download music illegally all day. Artists have almost ZERO dollars of their own, this one was out of the question. It came down to the businesses involved.

If you own a blog, think of yourselves less of a blog or website or even magazine. You're like a television station. People turn you on to consume content and then they change the channel when they leave. Your content brings the viewers and you should be awarded, if you're doing big numbers you can charge them. So instead of giving away free banner space to events, we started charging all of the promoters and you know what most of them were completely OKAY.

As our advertising media kit started floating around, we were eventually recruited by an ad-network who does all of our sales for us. We just post and make money. Depending on your niche, this may or may not be available. What you can control are the number of pageviews and unique visitors that you're getting to the site.

Basically the question you want to ask is: who is benefiting from my content and how can you monetize that relationship?

When we would post about an event at a club, the promoter would directly benefit from the free exposure provided. We wouldn't make anything. Now we are media partners with certain reputable organizations and can earn income and additional backlinks that way :thumbsup:

Publishing content? You have to read this: I just finished, Trust Me I'm Lying (Confessions of a Media Manipulator) and it's been an eye-opener for how I should operate the blog. While some examples were slightly outrageous, it does a good job at making you examine the current media landscape and how even small blogs (like mine) can impact national media. There's not a lot of discussion about what happens behind the scene and that's because they don't want you to know.

Operations that SCALE

Once you're actually making money online, it's all about scale. Scale is the sexiest S word in the world. EVERYONE loves scale. To achieve scale you need to breakdown the current process... I mean every single tiny detail. When you go through that workflow, find out what you can do to make it better, automate it or remove it entirely. Then you'll go onto create a "standard operating document", that's how you do work and you can share it with someone else. They'll be able to plugin to your organization and go. Review this constantly.

What I'm doing now...

From constant blogging and networking I've been able to connect with a partner on a project that's very close to launch. We're launching our own private label supplement company and looking to shake up an industry that is filled with bullshit. So many fancy named proprietary formulas that make me do this all day long :bgh::bgh::bgh:.

I'll be sure to come back soon with info on how to work through virtual partnerships, launch a supplements company and even include a special launch deal for the community here (you guys will love it!!!).

In the meantime I would love to answer any questions or help out with the following:

• Scaling a blog (10k -> 100k)
  • What's working in blogging / social media
  • How to approach advertisers for your blog

If interested in checking out my personal blog I just wrote a post on 7 things necessary for success and would love to hear your feedback!

- ben

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
Very interesting !

I also have several blogs in the EDM niche (6 blogs and 1 Ecom store around dance music). I also have been developing a physical product in this niche.

I think there might be some crossover opportunities for us both if you are interested in a chat?

I think I can help answer your questions and also have an idea how you can monetize this niche!

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Speed+
Although it's still weird to me how electronic dance music took so many years (a couple of decades almost?) to reach popularity in the US, following after Europe. Any theory on why it took so long?

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Speed+
Although it's still weird to me how electronic dance music took so many years (a couple of decades almost?) to reach popularity in the US, following after Europe. Any theory on why it took so long?

Yeah I keep wondering why people talk like EDM is something new in America. Electronic dance music has been around for decades in Europe. Wasn't techno big in America once? Maybe this is just a revival?

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
Major music movements start out as little rebellious periods and slowly grow until they reach the mainstream, then corporate interests get involved and it explodes! You can't watch a commercial without hearing some serious bass music or go to a mall without being consumed by neon. We had hip hop, Europe had dance music. Now we have it all :icon_super:

ollimatrix

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 9, 2013
Awesome story, thank you for sharing! Great analysis on your part of what types of beneficiaries you had, and on who you can monetize.

Your blog post is definitely worth reading, I found it more helpful than most articles out there about "how to be successful". Thanks for publishing!

Reading your story here I found something buried in half a sentence that has peaked my curiosity the most:

After a massive failure at SaaS (really hard if you're not a programmer)

I am very interested in hearing more details about your failed Software business.

What was the business?
Why did it fail?
What aspects of the business were the biggest problems that caused the failure?
What challenges did you face due to the fact that you were not a programmer?
How long ago was it and would you approach it differently today? What would you do different?

Hope you find some time to enlighten us and tell us more about how you got here! :)

Thank you
Oliver

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
What was the business?

We were targeting independent automotive repair shops.

Why did it fail?

Lack of oversight with the programming lead. A lot of trust was built into the relationship and we were let down. We had the product pre-sold but were unable to deliver to consumers. It was embarrassing. After losing XX,XXX, I lost motivation and the product died. The day I paid someone to review their code and have them tell me we were at a total wipe, I drank myself to sleep. :bgh:

Not enough money to get started.

How long ago was it and would you approach it differently today? What would you do different?

Software is about people. While I had a good understanding of the market through months of research, I learned that scaling the business would require a lot of face to face on the ground sales. I'm more interested in freedom now and traveling so it didn't really work with my lifestyle. Eventually I'll look to get back into software, but only for a market where I'm more comfortable and can eat and sleep it.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
We were targeting independent automotive repair shops.

Why did it fail?

Lack of oversight with the programming lead. A lot of trust was built into the relationship and we were let down. We had the product pre-sold but were unable to deliver to consumers. It was embarrassing. After losing XX,XXX, I lost motivation and the product died. The day I paid someone to review their code and have them tell me we were at a total wipe, I drank myself to sleep. :bgh:

Software is about people. While I had a good understanding of the market through months of research, I learned that scaling the business would require a lot of face to face on the ground sales. I'm more interested in freedom now and traveling so it didn't really work with my lifestyle. Eventually I'll look to get back into software, but only for a market where I'm more comfortable and can eat and sleep it.

That's totally my fear! I have an idea for lead gen software for designers but can't code for shit and am afraid of hiring because I don't understand the process. I love the niche but hiring is scary. Don't want to get scammed.

Thanks for the story, it sucks that it didn't work out. Maybe next time.

ollimatrix

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 9, 2013
but I can't code for shit and am afraid of hiring because I don't understand the process. I love the niche but hiring is scary. Don't want to get scammed.

I remember in the Fastlane book MJ talked about control... This story seems to be a good example of control gone wrong - as well as your fear, Gymjunkie...

I am currently learning how to code. I knew a little when I started, but nothing compared to what I have fabricated so far. And I am in complete control of my code.

The price of that however is that it took me almost two year since I decided to take action on my idea, to get to the place where I am now: BETA site with 50 registered (non paying) users... I feel out of control when it comes to the time it takes me to program a new feature. My lack of experience lead to unforeseen problems and bugs which take forever to fix... All this time I spend coding (and posting on this forum :p) is time that I can not spend marketing... Sometimes I think about the future and I wonder if I eventually will have to give up the programming. Is the software ever going to be done? Oh well...

Oh well. Thanks a lot for sharing, Ben! Sorry to hear about the hassles you had to go through, I can only remotely imagine how horrible this must have been for you... I'm glad your blog has taken of and became a very profitable asset for you!!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I remember in the Fastlane book MJ talked about control... This story seems to be a good example of control gone wrong - as well as your fear, Gymjunkie...

I am currently learning how to code. I knew a little when I started, but nothing compared to what I have fabricated so far. And I am in complete control of my code.

The price of that however is that it took me almost two year since I decided to take action on my idea, to get to the place where I am now: BETA site with 50 registered (non paying) users... I feel out of control when it comes to the time it takes me to program a new feature. My lack of experience lead to unforeseen problems and bugs which take forever to fix... All this time I spend coding (and posting on this forum :p) is time that I can not spend marketing... Sometimes I think about the future and I wonder if I eventually will have to give up the programming. Is the software ever going to be done? Oh well...

Oh well. Thanks a lot for sharing, Ben! Sorry to hear about the hassles you had to go through, I can only remotely imagine how horrible this must have been for you... I'm glad your blog has taken of and became a very profitable asset for you!!

Well, I'm considering learning at least basics of it. Then you can at least understand something and have more control. But two years is way too much. For you, it's time to hire a programmer man, you know the code so you will be tougher to scam etc. that seems like a good thing to do. You would also learn more about programming by seeing and asking about what coder does etc

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Speed+ for a different approach to blogging for money. Most people still rely on Adsense and affiliate networks. With this approach, you have leverage.

Hopefully more bloggers will see this post and have a bit of an epiphany.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.