The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best way to learn SEO

Marketing, social media, advertising

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
So I really want to learn about SEO and how to do it. Im wondering for those who learned, was it one thing (a class, book) or a variety of things? Im going to look into finding a class at my local community college, but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations as the best and most efficient way to learn SEO. Also would anyone recommend a book or online course?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
Best way to learn SEO is through research and then most importantly EXPERIENCE. You need to test what you've learned and reiterate your methods. Reading will do you no good if you don't put SEO techniques into practice. I've worked with plenty of SEO clients and it's amazing how many of them tell me that the previous SEO people the hired previously came up short with empty promises or did nothing at all. This is because they most likely read about SEO, but when it came time to take action they froze up or they didn't have the experience to know what really works.

I can't really recommend any books or anything, I've read too much and don't remember most of it, not to mention most of what I learned was through searching Google and experimenting with my own websites.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Jump on forums and get involved, experiment, it takes a long time.

In saying that, I'm very experienced in SEO (Have ranked in some very tough niches) and I will NEVER build a business reliant on SEO for it's survival. It fails the commandment of Control, Google is in control, and is constantly changing the rules.

royalasg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 21, 2013
Bangladesh
At first you should learn the SEO basic through some authority website like http://searchengineland.com/, http://moz.com this are free...and you also get some seo experts conferance video for site like http://www.distilled.net/training/. and there is another big seo giant in the company who is Bruce Clay, has a sertified course http://www.bruceclay.com/..........

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I would do something different: ignore SEO and focus on paid traffic to your product and business. Way more control, more scalability, and if done right SEO will come naturally.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I made it a goal to at least go through the Moz training that was previously mentioned first, then Neil Patel's Quicksprout training second.

Here are the links to the SEO stuff from Quicksprout:

The Advanced Guide To SEO

http://www.quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-seo/

Quicksprout University SEO Videos

http://www.quicksprout.com/university/category/seo-videos/

There are more guides and videos on his website. I might make a thread about it to get more people to see it.

barbarian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Feb 8, 2013
I would do something different: ignore SEO and focus on paid traffic to your product and business. Way more control, more scalability, and if done right SEO will come naturally.

what is that about?(please be more specific)

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
The best way to learn SEO is to start a blog on a subject right now

Get some posts going and then learn from there.

Doing + Learning at the same time. Luckily in this case it's easy to do, you can get a blog setup in less then an hour if you install it yourself on your own server, some hosting providers such as hostgator.com have one click install for wordpress so that would be your best bet. (I assume godaddy does too)

Gregory_Sav

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 20, 2013
It can help improve your business, but I think we shouldn't avoid any of the possible ways available today that may allow to increase a productivity of our businesses and SEO is still one of them.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
The problem is when paid traffic through adwords costs way too much, then what?
Find other places to advertise. There are thousands of other places where you can buy advertising online, you just have to find them. Go give Apax's thread a read for traffic sources, that'll keep you busy for a few years. Also don't neglect direct media buys with webmasters. Structure your own deal, negotiate CPM rates, and get some really highly targeted traffic for pennies. Definitely not something for newbies to tackle, but a fantastically profitable strategy if done right.

As far as the best way to learn SEO, as the others have said, go make something and try to rank it. Read your a$$ off, then try stuff out. Or for the path of least resistance, see what your competition is doing to rank, and emulate the strategy. Organic search traffic is a very, very valuable and passive traffic source if you know what you're doing and can plan a few months into the future. If you're marketing your business, hit every possible nook and cranny you can to reach your target audience. No exceptions.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
The problem is when paid traffic through adwords costs way too much, then what?

Either what Ungodly says, or find a new product/market.

My clicks cost too much on Google right NOW, so I'm focusing on paid traffic elsewhere. I will come back and revisit Google when I can use them to turn a profit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.