The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best States for Business and Entrepreneurs

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thinking about moving?

According to the Kauffman foundation, the best states for business and entrepreneurs are Utah, Texas, Alabama, Idaho, New Hampshire, Virginia, Colorado, and Kansas.

The worst states? Not surprising: California and Illinois.

Here is a visual.

http://www.thumbtack.com/survey#2013/states

Arizona came in at a C+.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
The US map seems pretty accurate, but the international one is total bullshit. I was in Singapore a couple of months ago. It is a nice city, very clean and friendly people. But insanely expensive. How many of you want to move to Singapore for your startup when a 1br apartment costs $3000/month? Or a car costs approximately 4x what it does in the US? With cost of living so high, that also makes your wage cost very high. Do you want to pay your assistant $60k per year? Singapore has priced themselves out of the market for entrepreneurs.

Hong Kong is very close to Singapore with the added "benefit" of horrible air quality. (Never been to NZ). The US has the worst regulatory environment in the world making it more difficult to run your business. Denmark is also insanely expensive with an effective tax rate of about 70%.

This list is a joke. The research is done by World Bank, which is funded by these big, expensive, high tax countries. Sorry, these lists just irritate me...rant off.

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
The US map seems pretty accurate, but the international one is total bullshit. I was in Singapore a couple of months ago. It is a nice city, very clean and friendly people. But insanely expensive. How many of you want to move to Singapore for your startup when a 1br apartment costs $3000/month? Or a car costs approximately 4x what it does in the US? With cost of living so high, that also makes your wage cost very high. Do you want to pay your assistant $60k per year? Singapore has priced themselves out of the market for entrepreneurs.

Hong Kong is very close to Singapore with the added "benefit" of horrible air quality. (Never been to NZ). The US has the worst regulatory environment in the world making it more difficult to run your business. Denmark is also insanely expensive with an effective tax rate of about 70%.

This list is a joke. The research is done by World Bank, which is funded by these big, expensive, high tax countries. Sorry, these lists just irritate me...rant off.

I was wondering about Singapore too because I know how expensive it is.
What would be your top 5-10 international places to be an entrepreneur?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Michigan...F.
A very successful friend of mine told me once that it doesn't matter the state of the economy...you can ALWAYS make money.

Of course we know with the internet....

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I was wondering about Singapore too because I know how expensive it is.
What would be your top 5-10 international places to be an entrepreneur?

That's a tough question. Depends on a lot of factors like; what kind of business you are in, do you need employees locally, brick and mortar or virtual biz, what languages do you speak, what environment do you prefer, etc.

With that said, if I were looking for opportunity and was starting from scratch, I would either go to Hong Kong or Panama City.

If I were running a virtual business that only needed good internet access, I would go to Lithuania or Latvia, Portugal, or Chile.

If I were running a tech business and needed highly skilled workers, I would go to Estonia.

If I have the money and work as an investor or virtual biz entrepreneur I would live as a PT (perpetual traveler) and explore Easter Europe, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay, and SE Asia.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
If I have the money and work as an investor or virtual biz entrepreneur I would live as a PT (perpetual traveler) and explore Easter Europe, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay, and SE Asia.

That's my plan :D Thailand is up first. Trying to do a month there, possibly two soon. Panama city recently came up as a good spot - what do you like about it?

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I think the best state for businesses and entrepreneurs is called a "State of Mind" ;)

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
In panama city there is opportunity everywhere. It's booming. I could have a job or new business in less than a week there even without fluent spanish.

Its not my favorite place to live but the old town would be pretty cool. But for opportunity pc is tops.

Toao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 29, 2012
Germany - close to Europe
New Zealand as #1 for "Starting a Business?". That's interesting news to me.... mate.
you can download more individual exposes on every country where it is explained how they get to that ranking. I myself use it for business consideration in several european countries and it was quite right what they wrote and how they judged it.

For starting a business in New Zealand these are the following:

# of procedures to start a business: 1
Time to register a company: 0.5 days (can be done online)
Cost: 0.3% of income per Capita (150 New Zealand Dollars)
Paid in min. Capital: 0

So you can register a company for around 120 USD online and don't need any capital for it. If you know a country where it is easier I am curious about it :) Company registration in Germany for example took me 3 months in total, cost 3,000 USD and it took even more than the 9 mentioned procedures since I had a specialty in it.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
About to move from Idaho (A+) to California (F). Wish me luck, I'll be proving this article wrong!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.