The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best laptop for work under $500?

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
My lap top is getting pretty old. Like 5 or 6 years old. Also I need one to take with me on the go.

Can anyone suggest a good laptop just for work/running a business. I want to stay under $500. Thinking about getting some kind of notebook.

Saw a couple nice ones on amazon but just looking for some other opinions.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
What kinds of thing are you going to be using the laptop for?

If you're using it everyday and traveling I'd advice against getting a cheap one, especially one with a plastic case. I tried that a few years ago to learn Python and the first bump turned it into a brick. I'd also stay away from HP laptops unless you want it to melt any surface it touches.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 27, 2015
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385602,00.asp

PC mag never lets me down. Check this list out.

Horrible advice form that page, I hope the OP doesn't go and buy any of them, especially the Chromebooks.

If the OP is strictly looking for a laptop for work, and wants it cheap, I'd suggest buy a factory refurbished unit on ebay. I work as an IT support guy in a company as my day job, and the best option for work is a laptop that company uses that has capabilities to expand, such as a docking station that OP can use to hook up to 2 monitors at a time. This way he will be able to do work much effectively.

My suggestion would be to go on ebay and search Lenovo T420s or T430. Those comes with docking capabilities and a refurbed one will cost you around $350, rest of the money you can use to buy the docking station and monitors. Remember, the maximum years you can use your laptop nowadays is around 2.5 years, so it is pretty pointless to buy them brand new. Matter of fact, since the life span of any consumer electronics is so short right now, most of my personal electronics are used/refurb units, and they work just fine for at least 2 years. After that I just repeat my cycle and upgrade to something better but cheaper because they are refurb. This way you get the up to date stuff but does not pay the $$ for instant glorification like the masses do.

Damage Inc.

There's no return from 86
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I burn through laptops about once a year since I'm on it almost constantly. I've had laptops in the $1-2k price range and the $300-500 range. The expensive ones haven't worked any better or lasted any longer for me personally, so I just go for whatever Acer model is around $400-500 when I'm ready to buy. In my opinion the quality is good, there's no stupid gimmicks and gadgets, and it handles what I need it for. For reference I don't do much fancy stuff, mostly a lot of ebay, a lot of excel, some word, and stream videos and surfing. Right now I have an Acer E1-532 on Windows 7.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The best laptop is not a laptop. Buy a Toshiba or Samsung Chromebook. Loving mine, more than my Macbooks which cost several hundred more each.

@MJ DeMarco did you ever pick up a Chromebook?

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Chromebook + Dual Boot Linux = Best laptop I've ever had.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I got a Windows tablet with a keyboard case for on the go. I like having full Windows over something like Chrome OS.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The best laptop is not a laptop. Buy a Toshiba or Samsung Chromebook. Loving mine, more than my Macbooks which cost several hundred more each.

@MJ DeMarco did you ever pick up a Chromebook?

Yup, I use it exclusively for writing. Paid less than $200 bucks, beats paying $1,500 for a Mac that I only need to write with and do research.

As for the OP, your answer depends on what you want to do with it.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
I use whatever I can find that is running Windows 7, can do basic surfing/editing/writing and is light to carry.

10-15 years ago I used to research every single component of any potential purchase, reading up on the fancy terms and technology involved and every side of whatever brand debates were going on back then between fans of different companies. Somewhere along the way a lightbulb went off and I realised the time I was spending was worth more than the thing I was buying.

Now with any purchase I pare the requirements down to the basics and just buy.

I'm sure the Dell something I'm typing on is probably a piece of crap compared to some other laptop, but it does the job. Laptop/notebook prices seem to have been hammered down so much in recent years that should this one explode I could probably do fine with a $500 one.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I have a Lenovo for the heavier things like running reports on millions of clicks, the Windows software, mainly accounting and Office related and it's really nice. Well built, decent looking and support is amazing as well.

I've heard good things about the Toshiba Chromebook 2, too. Should be able to get it for 200-300. IPS panel at full HD on a screen size like that is pretty cool.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I get a new Toshiba laptop every 2 years for about $350. I use it to do email, spreadsheets and some light website coding. It's a little choppy on streaming HD video, but a new $350 laptop will probably run faster than a 4 year old $1000 laptop.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Vigilante beat me to it!

I was going to recommend the Acer Chromebook 15. It recently launched and is the best Chromebook (imo) currently available aside from the Chromebook Pixel (which is about $1000+ though). But if you prefer smaller/lighter laptops, then the heavier/bigger Acer 15 has one downside when compared to the other available Chromebooks. Also, the Chrome OS will be a limitation for programs you might want to run.

Not too long back I was doing a lot of research on this topic because I planned on getting a new computer. I decided to just factory reset my current laptop and reset my Chrome browser for now. But when Cyber Monday comes along, I'll be taking advantage of some sweet deals!

I'm beginning to dislike laptops more and more though. So I'll most likely build my own desktop in the "Great" tier using the amazing information provided on this website: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Of course, you won't be able to take a desktop with you on the go, but I wanted to share that resource in case you decide to opt for a desktop instead of a laptop.

TL;DR ... Acer Chromebook 15 if you're willing to go the Chromebook route.

G

GuestUser140

I wouldn't want anything else than a 13" Macbook Air.

All day battery life, never ever slows down, great keyboard, big trackpad, stunning screen. Powers up in no time. Solid aluminium housing. I never heard it make a sound. Can handle 40 internet tabs + Photoshop + office software with no signs of slowing down.

The real cost is what you pay minus what you can get for it later. I sell it after a year for $100 less than what I paid for it. So I pay $8 a month to own an amazing computer. Buy refurbished with warranty. People who buy "disposable" $500 laptops that last three years spend more per year than I do owning the very best.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Chrome books seem kind of limited

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Just ordered a 2015 Dell XPS 13 (which kind of defeats the <500 purpuse).

I am against <1000€ laptops, but since I will be on the go for the next year, I need a solid, transportable laptop to work with. (Plus, the UHD resolution on a 13.3" screen beats any big a$$ screen).

I also have a toshiba chromebook 13". Its great for casual writting and browsing. But for hardwork stuff (messing with FB ads, FTP's, editing code, editing pictures, etc), I still need my regular old Windows

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
a have a macbook air, with external screen, a chromebook. The chromebook is perfect for writing and browsing the web. But if i need to use any sorts of program i would recommend using mac or windows.

Edit: Also have a 6 years old pc with windows 10 installed on it. Windows 10 is amazing. Love it.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Yea I need to be able to run different programs. Not just browse and write. Also have to have ability to stream video well.

Gsuz

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Just ordered a 2015 Dell XPS 13 (which kind of defeats the <500 purpuse).

I am against <1000€ laptops, but since I will be on the go for the next year, I need a solid, transportable laptop to work with. (Plus, the UHD resolution on a 13.3" screen beats any big a$$ screen).

I also have a toshiba chromebook 13". Its great for casual writting and browsing. But for hardwork stuff (messing with FB ads, FTP's, editing code, editing pictures, etc), I still need my regular old Windows

The bezel on that XPS 13, damn! Great purchase.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Vigilante beat me to it!

I was going to recommend the Acer Chromebook 15. It recently launched and is the best Chromebook (imo) currently available aside from the Chromebook Pixel (which is about $1000+ though). But if you prefer smaller/lighter laptops, then the heavier/bigger Acer 15 has one downside when compared to the other available Chromebooks. Also, the Chrome OS will be a limitation for programs you might want to run.

Not too long back I was doing a lot of research on this topic because I planned on getting a new computer. I decided to just factory reset my current laptop and reset my Chrome browser for now. But when Cyber Monday comes along, I'll be taking advantage of some sweet deals!

I'm beginning to dislike laptops more and more though. So I'll most likely build my own desktop in the "Great" tier using the amazing information provided on this website: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Of course, you won't be able to take a desktop with you on the go, but I wanted to share that resource in case you decide to opt for a desktop instead of a laptop.

TL;DR ... Acer Chromebook 15 if you're willing to go the Chromebook route.

Dont build going by that site. No 600+ build should be using a i3. Do you need a GPU for gaming?

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Yea I need to be able to run different programs. Not just browse and write. Also have to have ability to stream video well.
Chromebooks are great for writers. You can just pick your poison of Google Drive or OneDrive, and you're pretty much done. Otherwise it's like what MJ said. If you have a need that can't be done through a browser, don't get a Chromebook. If you have certain software requirements, you're going to want an OS that makes it easiest to install and run.

That said, I've been thinking of grabbing a Surface when funds allow. I already have the mouse and keyboard, so I won't have to bother with the magnetic one.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
The bezel on that XPS 13, damn! Great purchase.

Yeah it's beautiful, and you get a 13.3" screen in the same size of what would be a regular 11.5" laptop. The price tho... but hey, VAT deductible and goes as business expense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Crouton + ubuntu or debian?
Crouton + Ubuntu. It's actually a lot quicker than I thought it would be. All the GUI effects are off, but I always turn them off anyway.

Gsuz

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Yeah it's beautiful, and you get a 13.3" screen in the same size of what would be a regular 11.5" laptop. The price tho... but hey, VAT deductible and goes as business expense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How's the battery life? Feeling the urge to buy this.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
On a related note, I wonder why Google hasn't come out with a Chrome tablet. I know that you can add google features to any android tablet and fake it, but the Chromebook concept is so solid that I wonder what the delay is in taking Apple head on.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
How's the battery life? Feeling the urge to buy this.

I haven't received it yet, but:

"For the Core i5 QHD+ touchscreen model, Dell reports battery life between 8 hours and 11 hours, though these tests were conducted with the screen brightness set to a fairly dim setting. In my real-world tests, I got anywhere between 5 and 10 hours, with the shorter time occurring when streaming video across a wi-fi connection the entire time, and with the screen brightness at 70%. I achieved the 10 hour battery life repeatedly opening and reading documents on a wi-fi connection, and had the brightness dialed down to 60%. These are still pretty solid numbers for a laptop with these specs" . - See more at: http://technabob.com/blog/2015/03/02/review-dell-xps-13-uhd-2015-model/#sthash.D7oSnM7S.dpuf

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I've used tons of laptops in my days and hands down for performance and comfort are the Lenovos. I absolutely love them and wouldn't buy anything else for business or personal. I've used the T, R and L series notebooks, all solid machines. That's my recommendation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.