The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone have experience coming up with reward tiers for Kickstarters?

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Hey all,

So I've been placed in charge of coming up with the reward tiers for a product I'm helping market on Kickstarter. I've been checking out tons of other successful campaigns to figure out what good rewards look like, but so far I've found 3 of them in 90% of all campaigns...

• Shirts
  • Stickers
  • Your name in a thank you of some sort

Which I half-heartedly suggested as a potential list of lower tier contributor items, but the ideas were not looked fondly upon.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience coming up with contributor items for a crowd-funding campaign? What's your strategy to how you think of them? Is there anything yo do specifically to figure out good ones? So far all I've got are discounts for people buying more of it...which I personally think is pretty lackluster.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If I were you I'd ask, "What can I give to the donor that is directly tied to the purpose of my campaign and creates enormous value?"

For example if the campaign promotes a website you might consider featuring a Tier 2 donor's image on the site homepage with links.

If your site takes off it will send a lot of traffic to him too, so this would be incredibly valuable if your donor owns an e-commerce store.

Look at who the campaign is targeting. Who does the product target? Figure out what they want, then figure out how to give it to them.

A hint: it's probably not stickers and t-shirts.

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I teach bands how to do this, and found launchandrelease.com a MAJOR source of inspiration and useful mindset for kickstarted campaigns. And even though all of their case studies are about musicians and bands, I think there are still a lot of lessons to be learned there for any type of campaign. I also have the personal notes that the CEO of Indiegogo gave me about what he's seen as best practices, and got the help of the CEO of Rockethub to set up a campaign as well. I would be willing to share what I have, even the lessons learned and problems we faced. Just PM me.

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Lex - I'll definitely start thinking about what the buyers of this item would really highly value and try to come up with something based on that. And yeah, I was honestly shocked at the prevalence of t-shirt/sticker tiers that I saw. I don't think I'm exaggerating too much with the 90% figure. :O

Draven - Thanks so much for the offer! Just sent a PM. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
WHY NOT GIVE SOMETHING OF VALUE TO THE MARKET OF YOUR KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN?

WHAT DOES YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE WANT? WHY ARE THEY HANDING OVER THEIR CASH IN THE FIRST PLACE?

nausbot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 7, 2013
London, Canada
Higher end rewards could include dinners or "spend a day with the founder".

Any further insight into what the product is? Does it lend itself to subscriptions, does it compliment existing products, does it require licensing... just a few thoughts. I have a model I followed for my own product over a year ago based off a friends success, PM for details if you want.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.