The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon Echo - big brother or big opportunity

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
if you haven't seen it: http://www.amazon.com/echo

I assume at some point they will have an API for this so you can tap in and add to its features or collect data from it, Amazon is fairly smart about those things.

On one side, you have now given Amazon a microphone into your house. It will hear what you watch on TV, your conversations, what teams you cheer for when watching a game, and .......

On the other side you have a voice activated Internet access tool that does some pretty handy stuff, and hopefully will have apps that you can add to it. This is where the opportunity lies.

Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I very much doubt they would be stupid enough to eaves drop, the privacy police would be all over it like a rash and Amazon would never be able to live it down never mind sales falling off a cliff.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
It's just SIRI
Similar, but this is always plugged in, always listening. It hears everything going on in your house. No technical competency is required.
doubt they would be stupid enough to eaves drop
But if you ask it for the score of your favorite sports team's last game, is that eaves dropping? Or can they use that data in your shopping preferences/suggestions? What if Amazon is required to turn your data over by the government to verify testimony? What if a family member in the house requests the data? (ie Spouse checking on the other spouse)

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
either way I don't really care- I agree with Razorcut, I think that there is no way that Amazon would be stupid enough to eavesdrop- it would be a huge lawsuit waiting to happen. I have no interest in buying the Echo, but it has nothing to do with the possibility of eavesdropping, I just think that things like Siri or the Echo are pretty useless.

I think that people are too paranoid about eavesdropping, spying on your computer...etc. Yes it does happen, but it isn't as big of an occurrence as everyone makes it seem. Just my opinion.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
if you haven't seen it: http://www.amazon.com/echo

I assume at some point they will have an API for this so you can tap in and add to its features or collect data from it, Amazon is fairly smart about those things.

On one side, you have now given Amazon a microphone into your house. It will hear what you watch on TV, your conversations, what teams you cheer for when watching a game, and .......

On the other side you have a voice activated Internet access tool that does some pretty handy stuff, and hopefully will have apps that you can add to it. This is where the opportunity lies.

Any thoughts?

Well no matter what there is going to be voice activated technology and it's unavoidable. So for that reason I don't care about all the tin foil spy guys telling me to hide my data.

Whether it's echo or something else, this type of stuff is just the next step towards future technology.

Last edited:

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
OK, quit ranting about security concerns (or actually your lack of them). How could you use this to add value to what you are doing, what new markets do see from something like this?

thoughts that came to my mind:
  • When something cool shows up on tv, you say "I want one of those", and it figures out what you are looking at and puts in your wishlist or cart
  • baby sitter spy - what are they doing/watching once the kids are asleep?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.