The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] Importing & wholesaling for resale on eBay.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I am a total noob i never used ebay nor amazon, can you tell me how you research products without terapeak?
Thank you bro :)
Dude, there are 33 pages of how to research products.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
So I've had a good response from my quotation requests on Alibaba. It's hard work sifting through them. Out of about 15, ONLY 1 gave me all the information I requested!

Sounds like I got the regular replies most people have been getting. MOQ's of 2000, super high sample prices, huge freight costs etc.

It seems near impossible to find a product that's profitable! Am I missing something? I've been searching for weeks, and the products I thought looked good don't stack up!

The supplier offered me this particular product for $5.50, but freight of $137. I have replied offering a lower price and asking for a better shipping cost.

The item is selling around the £12-£15 mark on ebay. Interestingly though, I noticed one that sold today for £39.99 with an extra £2.50 for shipping. Looking at the sellers history, at the start of July they sold for £11.99, and kept putting the price up every few days. Quantities sold is less now though per day.

After ebay and paypal fees, duties, freight, absorbing the shipping to my buyer on the 'free postage', I'd stand to make a loss of around £4.50 according to my calculations on an average sale price of about £13.

Back to the drawing board........

Is it fair to assume that around 80-90% of suppliers on Alibaba are all traders? Seems like few are manufacturers, and how can we really tell? So many suppliers post the exact same pictures.

Can the 'onsite check' be trusted when it states manufacturer, or trader?

I'll look forward to any feedback or comments. Over and out :)
I think there are getting more and more traders on Alibaba all the time. I've been able to find products way cheaper on aliexpress and even dhgate sometimes. You just have to keep messaging them until you find the manufacture or manufactures. It's basically just sifting through the crap to find the gold. There is getting to be more and more crap all the time too.

James Turchetto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 23, 2013
I've just gone through the whole thread in a little over 8 hours while doing some alternate research at the same time. Some valuable information and also links to give you an idea of the game that needs to be played. I think I've got an angle a few people are running with, that I can see on amazon at least but I also can't validate my assumptions. I've factored in things like shipping, ebay fees etc and I come out with a $60-100 profit if I stay honest with Import VAT costs. However my issue would be fast shipping for said product without the desire to buy said product beforehand to test the waters. So I may just put up said item for sale and see if it goes for a price I'm happy with even with my lack of feedback or buy an account with some feedback behind it just to see if it's viable on ebay as well, before I'd be willing to take a gamble on it. There's competition in the space but if they're not playing by the same rules I am then they'll be taking a hit to compete with me should I ever scale up the process, should it be prove to be as viable as I hope.

There'd be room to expand to multiple products from multiple companies as well, but the proof is in the pudding as my Father would say.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I've just gone through the whole thread in a little over 8 hours while doing some alternate research at the same time. Some valuable information and also links to give you an idea of the game that needs to be played. I think I've got an angle a few people are running with, that I can see on amazon at least but I also can't validate my assumptions. I've factored in things like shipping, ebay fees etc and I come out with a $60-100 profit if I stay honest with Import VAT costs. However my issue would be fast shipping for said product without the desire to buy said product beforehand to test the waters. So I may just put up said item for sale and see if it goes for a price I'm happy with even with my lack of feedback or buy an account with some feedback behind it just to see if it's viable on ebay as well, before I'd be willing to take a gamble on it. There's competition in the space but if they're not playing by the same rules I am then they'll be taking a hit to compete with me should I ever scale up the process, should it be prove to be as viable as I hope.

There'd be room to expand to multiple products from multiple companies as well, but the proof is in the pudding as my Father would say.
If I understand you correctly, you are going to sell items that you don't have on hand. That is not a good business model for someone starting out. You can make money through drop shipping without a doubt but there are many possible issues as well that will be very difficult.

Samples take time and money for sure but that is far better than losing an eBay or Amazon account because you cancelled all the orders or got tons of negatives.

James Turchetto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 23, 2013
If I understand you correctly, you are going to sell items that you don't have on hand. That is not a good business model for someone starting out. You can make money through drop shipping without a doubt but there are many possible issues as well that will be very difficult.

Samples take time and money for sure but that is far better than losing an eBay or Amazon account because you cancelled all the orders or got tons of negatives.

Yeah pretty much but I'm not using a company just my own ordering process if I was to go with a couple of items I've seen, I get a decent profit margin + some other bonuses when doing the purchase that give me more earnings/profit on certain items. But yeah ultimately it's the same thing. The only middle man I want to deal with though is myself at the moment except the chain of delivery, which I hope a service I found is as reliable as it looks.

You're 100% right as I've ran into such issues before, unfortunately I'm not in a position to get a high limit credit card to get orders through the second they sell through. So I'll probably have to wait until I am so I can pull off that first genuine sale. I'll still test an alternate account though with decent feedback just to see what I could potentially sell items for looking into the future. Ultimately though the products I would be ordering are highly reliable, sought after and the market leader in more ways than one.

For now though I guess I need to find products in the $500 and under region which I can order with instant effect and get it to the buyer within 4-5 days, still not ideal perhaps but I don't want to take the gamble that my idea is a dud and have to shift these products for a loss even if it may be minimal. Once such an idea has proven itself I'd be much more willing to part with bigger sums of money beforehand. So both points duly noted however and I'll keep that in mind. I've seen the feedback my would be rivals have gotten and most people are happy to get the item within a week to 10 days because of the value of the item is fantastic, but most shouldn't be what we strive for, it should be all, and I'm aware of that need to deliver on every order.

I've seen some great advice handed out in this thread and I'd like to think I'm following a similar path except for not having the inventory with me at the point of sale (at least to begin with) ultimately it means I'm reliant on the services I'm ordering from and shipping companies to do their job in a timely manner, but I don't know how else to play it at this moment in time. I may need to look for products in a lower price range to test the waters I suppose that I don't mind necessarily making a loss on to build up my brand new profiles (which I'd need)

Sorry for the rambling but it's funny how an idea can turn into a business plan in a few days, my plan of action literally popped up out of my head as I've been searching for new ideas to work on after my twitter empire crumbled :) Ideally I'll be executing this and reinvesting in both area's in the future, and then expanding into other ideas as well. Obviously no service we rely on is 100% reliable and I've seen some amazon and ebay horror stories that match mine on twitter/facebook. But those are part of the risks of doing business when you're not the man in charge.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Yeah pretty much but I'm not using a company just my own ordering process if I was to go with a couple of items I've seen, I get a decent profit margin + some other bonuses when doing the purchase that give me more earnings/profit on certain items. But yeah ultimately it's the same thing. The only middle man I want to deal with though is myself at the moment except the chain of delivery, which I hope a service I found is as reliable as it looks.

You're 100% right as I've ran into such issues before, unfortunately I'm not in a position to get a high limit credit card to get orders through the second they sell through. So I'll probably have to wait until I am so I can pull off that first genuine sale. I'll still test an alternate account though with decent feedback just to see what I could potentially sell items for looking into the future. Ultimately though the products I would be ordering are highly reliable, sought after and the market leader in more ways than one.

For now though I guess I need to find products in the $500 and under region which I can order with instant effect and get it to the buyer within 4-5 days, still not ideal perhaps but I don't want to take the gamble that my idea is a dud and have to shift these products for a loss even if it may be minimal. Once such an idea has proven itself I'd be much more willing to part with bigger sums of money beforehand. So both points duly noted however and I'll keep that in mind. I've seen the feedback my would be rivals have gotten and most people are happy to get the item within a week to 10 days because of the value of the item is fantastic, but most shouldn't be what we strive for, it should be all, and I'm aware of that need to deliver on every order.

I've seen some great advice handed out in this thread and I'd like to think I'm following a similar path except for not having the inventory with me at the point of sale (at least to begin with) ultimately it means I'm reliant on the services I'm ordering from and shipping companies to do their job in a timely manner, but I don't know how else to play it at this moment in time. I may need to look for products in a lower price range to test the waters I suppose that I don't mind necessarily making a loss on to build up my brand new profiles (which I'd need)

Sorry for the rambling but it's funny how an idea can turn into a business plan in a few days, my plan of action literally popped up out of my head as I've been searching for new ideas to work on after my twitter empire crumbled :) Ideally I'll be executing this and reinvesting in both area's in the future, and then expanding into other ideas as well. Obviously no service we rely on is 100% reliable and I've seen some amazon and ebay horror stories that match mine on twitter/facebook. But those are part of the risks of doing business when you're not the man in charge.
Yep without the controlling the website you are certainly at their mercy to some extent. Definitely a good idea to not put all your eggs in one basket. The good thing about retail on eBay or Amazon is you can funnel your customers to your own personal website and then you have far more control.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
226 views, 13 watchers, 2 sold, day 2 of listing...

What do you guys think? Good stats? I'm hoping for the 13 watchers to cash in...

Mr.International

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 22, 2013
Ft. Worth, Texas
@Ecom man. What do you use for giving your pictures a white background like I see alot of experienced sellers doing? Do you use photoshop or a similar free software? I'm taking pictures with my ipad and i just want them to look as professional as possible. Thanks.

Justin.p

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 10, 2014
Austin, TX

What do you guys think? Good stats? I'm hoping for the 13 watchers to cash in...

Hehe I'm usually a watcher when I have one I want to sell, but I want to see how much they'll go for before selling it.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
@Ecom man. What do you use for giving your pictures a white background like I see alot of experienced sellers doing? Do you use photoshop or a similar free software? I'm taking pictures with my ipad and i just want them to look as professional as possible. Thanks.
I don't give my pics a white background. I use a tan blanket on the floor, put my item on top, and take the pics with my iPhone. Personally I think doing it that way helps to show people that you have the actual item and didn't just pull the pic off google.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014

200 views with only 2 sales probably means you are either priced too high, your description doesn't give them the info they need to purchase the item, or your item just naturally draws a lot of lookers.

Just looked at my items stats and the ones i currently have priced above the competition have about a 5% view to sale ratio. The ones that I don't have competition or I'm currently the cheapest i have about a 10% ratio. (200 views 20 sales)

Having 200 views within 2 days is a sign you have a pretty hot product so good job!

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Dude, there are 33 pages of how to research products.

I have searched a good chunk of the fastlaneforum but most people all use the same way to research, like terapeak, amazon bestsellers etc.
I want to know how to research products without all those tools that so many people use.

Time for some googling

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I have searched a good chunk of the fastlaneforum but most people all use the same way to research, like terapeak, amazon bestsellers etc.
I want to know how to research products without all those tools that so many people use.

Time for some googling
Read this entire thread, then if you haven't figured out how to research products... Well you were asleep while reading.

James Turchetto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 23, 2013
Yep without the controlling the website you are certainly at their mercy to some extent. Definitely a good idea to not put all your eggs in one basket. The good thing about retail on eBay or Amazon is you can funnel your customers to your own personal website and then you have far more control.

Yeah I listened to a 40 minute podcast via a link that was posted earlier in the thread, explaining a similar process someone was executing although he seemed to have ironed out a lot of the stuff he felt was unnecessary, with expert precision. Dedicated sites for certain products rather than a whole store I believe was also one of my key takeaways, depending on how the product ranked in SEO results and what not. I could tell the guy in the podcast was certainly leaving key elements out of the discussion, and didn't necessarily feel all that comfortable explaining certain methods of his. I guess you don't want to be open with any critical sales techniques and product choices you've implemented & selected that have proven successful. He gave enough information though that even if I have the import side figured out to near perfection, the same needs to be applied to all other facets of the sales process, my knowledge is definitely lacking there, something I'll have to brush up on, should I want to make anything noteworthy.

While what I listened to mostly focused on amazon a lot of the ideas have good crossover potential.

Mr.International

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 22, 2013
Ft. Worth, Texas
@Ecom man......thanks for your help so far. I've been sending request for samples to suppliers and they don't seem to have a problem selling 10 samples at a slightly higher price. In your experience, Are suppliers normally flexible on minimum orders after you've ordered samples? For example some suppliers say minimum order 100 products but I may only feel comfortable with buying 50. I just don't want to much product laying around if it stops selling. I've found a few products with workable margins but this is one of the drawbacks.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
@Ecom man......thanks for your help so far. I've been sending request for samples to suppliers and they don't seem to have a problem selling 10 samples at a slightly higher price. In your experience, Are suppliers normally flexible on minimum orders after you've ordered samples? For example some suppliers say minimum order 100 products but I may only feel comfortable with buying 50. I just don't want to much product laying around if it stops selling. I've found a few products with workable margins but this is one of the drawbacks.
Most of the times the minimums are quite flexible if you sound like you are a business. Explain to them that you are adding this product line to your store and want to purchase 50 of them at this time. You will of course be coming back to them for more on a regular basis and with increasing order size. That will normally work.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Just wanted to clarify on something...

When evaluating competition on ebay, I search for the product and begin to weed through 200+ pages of listings and click each image and see the sellers name and begin to tally how many competitors I have. Am I doing too much work or is this part of the "leg work"?

Second, should I be searching for competition based on how I plan to use my keywords in the title? For instance, if I use one combination of keywords I may only get 13 pages and 2 competitors...If I use a different combination I may get 300+ listings and 10 competitors. Am I basing how much competition I have based on the unique way I use keywords or should I be basing it off every possible keyword related to my product? Hope this makes sense.

Last, I'm finding some great potential products and I have been sending emails out. The problem I'm finding so far is there response rate is between 3%-10% and it reflects... Very slow responses if any so far. They have not read my email yet because Alibaba tells me if they have or not. Is it normal to have response rates so low or should this be taken as a red-flag?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Just wanted to clarify on something...

When evaluating competition on ebay, I search for the product and begin to weed through 200+ pages of listings and click each image and see the sellers name and begin to tally how many competitors I have. Am I doing too much work or is this part of the "leg work"?

Second, should I be searching for competition based on how I plan to use my keywords in the title? For instance, if I use one combination of keywords I may only get 13 pages and 2 competitors...If I use a different combination I may get 300+ listings and 10 competitors. Am I basing how much competition I have based on the unique way I use keywords or should I be basing it off every possible keyword related to my product? Hope this makes sense.

Last, I'm finding some great potential products and I have been sending emails out. The problem I'm finding so far is there response rate is between 3%-10% and it reflects... Very slow responses if any so far. They have not read my email yet because Alibaba tells me if they have or not. Is it normal to have response rates so low or should this be taken as a red-flag?
I normally look at the buy it now listings for that item. eBay only allows 1 buy it now per seller on a specific item. So if I'm selling a 50 foot hose I can only list one buy it now listing with multiple quantity for that hose. So if there are 10 buy it now listings than I have 10 competitors (unless someone is violating eBay rules)

2. I look for specific keywords/ title but again only for buy it now listings. I don't do auctions so I don't care what those are doing. You want to know as much about the products and competitors as possible.

3. Response rates are suppppppppppppper annoying many times. That is one of the reasons I use Dhgate and Aliexpress to estimate prices. Those two sites are almost always higher priced than Alibaba so if I can profit buying from them then I will make money for sure when buying the product from Alibaba.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Perfect thank you for the help. My wife and I have jumped head first into this and we are confident it will help fund our other ventures if not more.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland

3. Response rates are suppppppppppppper annoying many times.

Call it beginner's luck, but I had a good response from vendors on Alibaba. Out of 15 contacted, around 80-90% got back to me in 1-2 days.

Although I have a generic e-mail server account, I created a name that fits well with Chinese culture. Think of words and numbers that they associate with luck, good fortune, health and well being etc. Hint: Google

Might be worth a try...

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
I seem to be having shipping issue after shipping issue.

I just got quoted $80 to express ship a 3.5lb 5x5x10" box worth $40 in samples . How do I get past these shipping hurdles?

On a side note; my account name has 'trading' in it. I created this a while back but I'm now thinking this is probably not so good since a lot of suppliers/trading companies are probably thinking I'm also a trading company.

^ good idea @Five Star

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Just found a product that I can sell for $25 dollars each and acquired them all for $36 shipping included. No US sellers. After Ebay fees and Paypal I'll make $21.12. Shipping looks like it will be anywhere from $3-$6 dollars Priority pricing. Here we go.

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
Just found a product that I can sell for $25 dollars each and acquired them all for $36 shipping included. No US sellers. After Ebay fees and Paypal I'll make $21.12. Shipping looks like it will be anywhere from $3-$6 dollars Priority pricing. Here we go.

Curious, what type of weight was your shipment form China?

Here are a few websites I used to find how much shipping will be:

From China to me:
http://worldfreightrates.com/
http://dct.dhl.com/input.jsp?langId=en - dhl.com Get Rate and Time Quote

From me to buyer
http://postcalc.usps.com/

I've tried the DHL calculator but all it calculates is 'next day or following day' rates which are $$$ ($200 for $30 in product) . Maybe I'm mixing the term express up. I need products shipped door-to-door, 1-2 week delivery is fine. I don't need the products next day.

I can't image how much express shipping would be on 6 large boxes.
Am i missing something here? This is the finaly challenge holding me up!

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
@NaPal

1.25 kg or roughly 3 pounds.
Hate being a whiny girl but reading has me lost. What type of shipping did you use for these products?

Wonder why your shipping is so cheap, and I'm getting quoted $80 for the same weight. The product itself can fit in a small shoe box so size isn't the issue.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Perhaps it's been my dialogue. I'm in no way an expert but here it goes:

"Dear ****

My name is Cory ***** with ALD LLC and I am looking to find a supplier for *****. There is a large need for your product in my market and my customers currently have little options to secure these products. I would be interested in testing your products and ultimately establishing a long-term business relationship. I need to place a test purchase of # products so that I can evaluate shipping cost, shipping times, and product quality. Please forward me a quote involving any and all fees including but not limited to handling, shipping, customs, etc. If you can ensure the best total price possible, I can ensure that I sell a substantial amount of product. I look forward to doing business with you.

Warm Regards
Cory ****
ALD LLC
1-520-***-****
Info@******.com"

She replied back with a great price initially and I could profit from that. However, I looked up some shipping info and found that if she shipped to me via a different method I could get the product in 7 days and for cheaper. She agreed and I got the deal. Done. Now I'm off to the other products.

Last edited:

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
On the flip side you have the opportunity of selling to people in your area (if they have an eBay like site there.) People won't like to wait for US sellers to ship it to them either.

DUDE in my country there is a site that is owned by ebay and i can make super mega money on it xD and i will

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I have never heard of that before. That is either a really messed up system or this guy is the local retailer. The seller could get screwed over easily because without delivery confirmation every single person could do a chargeback and win every time.

In my country you have post pickup points it can be at a post office or at a retail store or even at you're local grocery store, what do you think about that? I don't know if it is good or bad.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.