The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A New Englander Looking for a New Way

sharpreed

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 8, 2011
Greetings all. My name is Ethan and I recently stumbled across the Fastlane book on Amazon. I found the forum through it. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. So far the book has been a great inspiration in knowing that there is escape from 9 to 5 servitude. I've been impressed by it so far and am hoping for that impression to continue. Every post I've read on here so far has gladdened me. I know I am not alone in thinking that the college rhetoric is quite a bit off. Again, I look forward to getting to know all of you and sharing the way for success.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
:Welcome:

What areas of business interest you Ethan?

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
:iamwithstupid:

welcome. but what do you like? you will only do good in something that you like, enjoy, and don't mind doing for 12 hours a day. getting rich is no easy task so you better love what you are doing.

sharpreed

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 8, 2011
Well, I'm interested in many different areas. However, a particular area of interest of mine is marketing. I've got an idea for a for profit "charity" for lack of better terminology. The premise behind which is using various endorsements and sponsorships to provide free and cheap needed services. Providing these services would then allow the people that use the services to put money into things of interest to them. I also am looking to put together a website that has comprhensive reviews of all things entertainment media related. As for things that I enjoy, I'm heavy into programming, I enjoy writing, drawing, and I like helping others. I tend to put a lot of energy into helping other people either physically or emotionally. I've always been the type of person to come up with various ideas for businesses. I'm currently teaching myself working with electronics and various aspects of engineering. My tastes are so varied that its difficult for myself to narrow them.

Neon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 22, 2011
:iamwithstupid:

welcome. but what do you like? you will only do good in something that you like, enjoy, and don't mind doing for 12 hours a day. getting rich is no easy task so you better love what you are doing.

This is not fastlane...what YOU like means nothing. It's about market needs and wants.

And I can speak from experience- if you do manage to turn something you love into a business you will very quickly suck the joy right out of that activity.

sharpreed

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 8, 2011
Thanks for the response Neon. I know what you mean about turning a hobby into a career can lead to disliking the hobby. This occured with me and game design. Up until I had tried doing it for profit, I enjoyed the hours I spent throwing myself into drawing, and writing, programming and debugging games that I designed. Although, most of the joy from these activities I think was from escapism.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
And I can speak from experience- if you do manage to turn something you love into a business you will very quickly suck the joy right out of that activity.

Bingo!

I used to own 13 greenhouses and a flower shop. Everyone said, "You're sooooo lucky! Working around flowers is so relaxing! I'd love it!"

Those folks weren't there when the power went out on a sub-zero night when the greenhouses were full of plants.

They weren't there when we were making flower arrangements until 2am to fill the orders for the next day's deliveries.

They weren't there when 300 flats of petunias rotted away because the weather was rainy for 3 weeks right in prime selling season.

They weren't there when I finally took a night off to enjoy a dinner out with friends, only to have our babysitter (for the greenhouses) call to say there was an alarm going off. (That meant I had to rush back to tear apart a furnace and fix it.)

Flowers are a great hobby. A flower business does suck the joy out of that activity.

Rep+

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As for things that I enjoy, I'm heavy into programming, I enjoy writing, drawing, and I like helping others. I tend to put a lot of energy into helping other people either physically or emotionally. I've always been the type of person to come up with various ideas for businesses. I'm currently teaching myself working with electronics and various aspects of engineering. My tastes are so varied that its difficult for myself to narrow them.

Sounds like Fastlane competencies to me!

Count me in too ... I have experience after experience doing what I love turning bad.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I know what you mean about turning a hobby into a career can lead to disliking the hobby. This occured with me and game design. Up until I had tried doing it for profit, I enjoyed the hours I spent throwing myself into drawing, and writing, programming and debugging games that I designed.
Flowers are a great hobby. A flower business does suck the joy out of that activity.
Count me in too ... I have experience after experience doing what I love turning bad.
Hmm... Still, isn't it better to do something you're passionate in ? (If it's profitable of course)

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Hmm... Still, isn't it better to do something you're passionate in ?

I'd say making peoples lives "better" is something to be passionate about. Saving them time, entertaining them, making things easier, whatever you want.

The way you make peoples lives better is less important than the act of making someones life better. And of course, the act of making someones life better brings value which is what we all chase, no?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...