The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

5/3/1 - Give it a shot

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
For those intermediate to advanced lifters who have yet to give this program a try, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Amazon's preview: The success of the 5/3/1 Method has been nothing short of extraordinary. For the 3 years, the response towards this simple but brutally effective training system has been overwhelming. This is because it works. And works for just about anyone willing to put in the discipline and work that getting stronger requires

Elite level lifters to absolute beginners have all used the 5/3/1 Method; the basic tenets of strength training have and will never change. Big exercises, constant progress, and personal records will never go out of style.

High school and college coaches are now using the 5/3/1 with their athletes with amazing success; it is easy to track, implement and will inspire any team to push for themselves to the limit.

The 5/3/1 Method is truly for anyone that is looking to get stronger. This is not a fancy training program that requires special equipment or Master's degree - all is required is your dedication to moving more weight than you had ever dreamed.

The 5/3/1 2nd Edition features new chapters on programming assistance training for all the big assistance lifts. No more questions on what weights to do and what exercises to choose from. Full body training to increase your squatting and overall strength. Simple and effective ways to eat for size and strength are revealed. Jim also covers how to combine 5/3/1 and Crossfit-style conditioning for maximum benefits and recovery. Finally, rest/pause training for assistance work for building size and strength is programmed for maximum benefit.

I'd link to the book on Amazon but I can't figure out how to do so without giving a referral link and I'm not looking to make any money here. Just giving a good tip to my brothers and sisters on this site.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the 5/3/1 program for a beginner, although Jim Wendler (Program creator) does have a version for beginners. It can be found here: http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

Let me know if any of you currently use or have used his program in the past. If not, buy the book and give it a shot. I'd suggest purchasing the 2nd edition as it is updated with some new and better information. Its phenomenal!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I'd link to the book on Amazon but I can't figure out how to do so without giving a referral link and I'm not looking to make any money here.
Just remove the part from the link that says &tag=

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Can you tell a bit about your results with 5/3/1?

I gained a ton of strength and improved my agility and footwork. Tightened up my stomach even though I gained a few pounds.

Wendler's book really gets you in the mindset to train, and to train hard. Whether you're looking to gain or lose weight, this book is great. Its phenomenal for those who are looking to get STRONG, for any reason.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I started using 5/3/1 about 4 months ago when a friend of mine who is a personal trainer recommended it. I resisted initially, but I couldn't be happier with the results I have gotten from switching over. It truly is a great program.

For those interested I wrote a pretty in-depth description and examples of my workout in my thread "Conquer Your Body".

HappyFighter

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Dec 29, 2013
Philippines
I've read about the 5/3/1 system but tried it yet. What I used to do are strength-based workouts which looks like a variation of stronglifts. Currently, I'm using bodybuilding style workouts.

You can never go wrong with strength training, though. It creates a solid foundation. Health > Strength > Aesthetics.

P.S.
Or one could argue that aesthetics is the most important of the three, since having aesthetics would be attractive to the opposite sex. Being admired would in turn give someone a higher self-esteem. And a higher self-esteem results in better health :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Also, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the 5/3/1 program for a beginner, although Jim Wendler (Program creator) does have a version for beginners. It can be found here: http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/
Jim Wendler said:
Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? F*ck you, I've got scars and blood and vomit.

Dunno about the training program but I like his writing style. ;)

fuller

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles
Most novices would benefit from a 5x5, 5x3, or any other linear progression over 5/3/1. Honestly imo 5/3/1 advances too slowly for someone who still responds to linear progression. Linear progression needs to be milked for all it's worth before switching to intermediate routines.

That said, it is a great book and the training principles are excellent. I switched to a 5/3/1 last year after stalling on the big 3 and I've continued to make strength gains.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Most novices would benefit from a 5x5, 5x3, or any other linear progression over 5/3/1. Honestly imo 5/3/1 advances too slowly for someone who still responds to linear progression. Linear progression needs to be milked for all it's worth before switching to intermediate routines.

That said, it is a great book and the training principles are excellent. I switched to a 5/3/1 last year after stalling on the big 3 and I've continued to make strength gains.

Yup I gained 40-50lbs over all doing 5x5. It's really a simple process of your an ecto looking to fill out and be stronger. Most cone out looking great to since you naturally have a low bf%.

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013

Agreed @fuller

5/3/1 is a LONG term program. Personally I think it's more effective for equipped powerlifting (Jim competed equipped). I did follow 5/3/1 for about 16 weeks and had good results, but it's a little boring. Depending on where you're at the %'s can be a little low. For example some days on my top set of 3 5 or 1 I would bang out 10-15 reps. Jim is great though and very entertaining, the book is overall solid and there's a lot to take away from it.

Jez Davis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Recently started this program, at my 3rd week now with 5/3/1 & Boring But Big, incl my usual weekly split.

Watched some youtube videos about this program and found a spreadsheet from bb.com to track it, seriously can't wait for a full year with crazy strength gains.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Convinced one of my friends to get into 5/3/1 a little over a month ago and he is crazy for it. He even is recruiting other people to give it a go. It truly is remarkable how many strength gains you can make in a short period of time.

Just a heads up I don't even own the book. I don't think it's necessary to have if you have someone teach you it. For instance, I learned from my trainer who read it, he taught me, I taught my friend, he taught his friends.

I'm still here using 5/3/1 after 6+ months.

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
Currently on my 5th cycle of the 5/3/1 BBB variation. I am loving it so far! My lifts have gone up pretty substantially over just a 5 month period.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Just a heads up I don't even own the book. I don't think it's necessary to have if you have someone teach you it. For instance, I learned from my trainer who read it, he taught me, I taught my friend, he taught his friends.

I agree that it isn't needed, but I think that anyone thinking about giving the program a try should purchase the book. 1. to support the creator of the program, Jim Wendler, and 2. because he provides great insight into the program that you won't see on a spreadsheet or hear from your friend or trainer. Its well worth the purchase!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Wondering how you guys who were doing the 5/3/1 program are making out over a year later. I slacked off with hitting the gym and need to get back into it. Current plan is bodybuilding style split with focus on cardio for weight loss. After losing weight I plan on re-starting 531

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I got more out of Layne Norton's PHAT than 5/3/1. Progress was seemingly slow on Wendler's; perhaps I wasn't strong enough. My squat was in the 280s, bench in the 180s. I was 19.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.