The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

401K! Yay!!!

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
"Money, money, money, money...MONEY!!!" - The O'Jays - For The Love of Money

My co worker came in singing this joyfully today as he back from a meeting I didn't even know was going on. Apparently some accounting types from ADP had come to my studio to fill everyone in on their options dealing with our company and their 401k's. I remember vaguely seeing some email about it, but dismissing it from my mind, as a money waster. (I had already finished TMF by this point.)

There was another session which I was initially going to ignore but my curiosity got the best of me. I ended up walking with another coworker who was a personal friend of mine So a beautiful professionally dressed young lady was giving a presentation to a crowded room filled with young eager faces.

She was busy enlightening us to the fact that when we're 67 or older, Social Security might not exist, (most likely not) and how people would only have (maybe) social security, pensions, savings/mutual funds or a second job to retire comfortably. At 67. Then she asked if there was any other way anyone could name a way someone 67 or older could retire comfortably?

Now I was sitting in the very front on the floor (standing room only) and she looked at me. I had to hold my self back from shouting, "How about they ditch the slowlane and get into the Fastlane BEFORE they turn 67!"

Someone mentioned the 401k's. And that's when she went into the spiel about putting money into your 401K, comparing donation amounts and waiting 20-30 years to finally get something close to maybe 300-400 thousand dollars when you retire. Some people were going WOW, and had these amazed expressions on their face. And then she singled me out and said that if i put aside five grand in a ROTH 401K i'd be a very happy camper in a few years. I almost laughed at her. I could swear I could almost hear MJ blowing raspberries whenever she made what seemed like a valid point that amazed everyone.

I walked out that room shaking my head going, everyone in that room is stuck in the Slowlane FOR REAL.

Well except for my friend. She hasn't read TMF but she's of the same mind to own her own business and create something of her own that pays her first.

If I hadn't read TMF when I did, i probably would have been caught up in the spell of "Retire when you're 70 with 300,000!!!" Smh, I need to get out of this slowlane. And fast. But the RIGHT way.

Anyway, just wanted to share that eye opening experience with you guys.

Thanks for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ralphT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Mar 25, 2012
South FL
"Money, money, money, money...MONEY!!!" - The O'Jays - For The Love of Money

My co worker came in singing this joyfully today as he back from a meeting I didn't even know was going on. Apparently some accounting types from ADP had come to my studio to fill everyone in on their options dealing with our company and their 401k's. I remember vaguely seeing some email about it, but dismissing it from my mind, as a money waster. (I had already finished TMF by this point.)

There was another session which I was initially going to ignore but my curiosity got the best of me. I ended up walking with another coworker who was a personal friend of mine So a beautiful professionally dressed young lady was giving a presentation to a crowded room filled with young eager faces.

She was busy enlightening us to the fact that when we're 67 or older, Social Security might not exist, (most likely not) and how people would only have (maybe) social security, pensions, savings/mutual funds or a second job to retire comfortably. At 67. Then she asked if there was any other way anyone could name a way someone 67 or older could retire comfortably?

Now I was sitting in the very front on the floor (standing room only) and she looked at me. I had to hold my self back from shouting, "How about they ditch the slowlane and get into the Fastlane BEFORE they turn 67!"

Someone mentioned the 401k's. And that's when she went into the spiel about putting money into your 401K, comparing donation amounts and waiting 20-30 years to finally get something close to maybe 300-400 thousand dollars when you retire. Some people were going WOW, and had these amazed expressions on their face. And then she singled me out and said that if i put aside five grand in a ROTH 401K i'd be a very happy camper in a few years. I almost laughed at her. I could swear I could almost hear MJ blowing raspberries whenever she made what seemed like a valid point that amazed everyone.

I walked out that room shaking my head going, everyone in that room is stuck in the Slowlane FOR REAL.

Well except for my friend. She hasn't read TMF but she's of the same mind to own her own business and create something of her own that pays her first.

If I hadn't read TMF when I did, i probably would have been caught up in the spell of "Retire when you're 70 with 300,000!!!" Smh, I need to get out of this slowlane. And fast. But the RIGHT way.

Anyway, just wanted to share that eye opening experience with you guys.

Thanks for reading!

I actually just went through the same thing at my job. The company has outgrown the Simple IRA they had so now they told us we're moving to a traditional 401k and had a few idiots in suits come and give lectures on the benefits (or what they think are benefits) . Unless we deliberately decline it, they will automatically enroll us in it at 4% of our income. Yesterday the HR manager was assisting groups of us in filling out our forms and before he started, he asked "Is anyone declining enrollment?". Out of a room of maybe 15 people I was the only one who was declining. Everyone was yelling out "why?! its free money??" and all I could think to myself was wow... these slowlaners are in for a hell of a boring a$$ life!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SanMateo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 9, 2013
Colorado
Several years ago, I got out of the investments/financial services industry because of this misconception. Not to sidetrack here, but I read a book by John Bogle titled "Enough" and it totally turned me off of selling investments. The reasons why: 1) It felt like stealing. 2) Misconception that having a 401K/IRA will fix your retirement problems. 3) A large percentage of the US GDP is financial fees from trading money which means no-tangible assets or services.

I'm in favor of having investment accounts however only as a diversification of assets and hedging financial positions. Personally, the real retirement comes from getting in the Fastlane and letting it all ride.

Go big or go home. My $0.02...

Last edited:

ralphT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Mar 25, 2012
South FL
Several years ago, I got out of the investments/financial services industry because of this misconception. Not to sidetrack here, but I read a book by John Bogle titled "Enough" and it totally turned me off of selling investments. The reasons why: 1) It felt like stealing. 2) Misconception that having a 401K/IRA will fix your retirement problems. 3) A large percentage of the US GDP is financial fees from trading money which means no-tangible assets or services.

Its nice to hear it from the horses mouth :)

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I remember a job where they had one of these talks. It was hilarious because alot of people didnt get how it worked at all so the one that did thought they were so smart and successful.

Funny part is the 401k was not self directed, nothing like not beating the market and paying management fees.

On a fastlane side note knowing what I know about the founders of this company I am guessing that the funds were run by a buddy of theirs. So they were making money on their blood sweat and tiers and then again on what little they were able to save.

I left shaking my head in a similar way.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Lol sounds like a great idea if you don't mind slaving away your whole life... It's funny reading this and remembering that I was one of those people a few years ago who'd kill for a deal like you described...!

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I know what you mean.

The other day my bank manager invited me for a one to one. She wanted to sell me the idea that I should start putting X amount of money aside each month into "life insurance". That way I could get 2% interest per year and in ten years from now....... hold it......... I would have the right to take my own hard earned money back out of my life insurance and as a bonus I would be eligible for minimal tax!!!...... YEAH BABY, YEEEHAW!!

I politely declined and said I don't count on the system and that I'd rather find my own way to generate my retirement fund.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado

SanMateo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 9, 2013
Colorado
Let me clarify. I'm not against 401K's or IRA's, however I could not longer sell them because the "industry" wants you to drink the kool-aid and believe they're the only vehicles that will work for retirement. I like them as financial protection or hedges for alternatives but not the "sole" owner of your future. If you have them, great. If not, great. Find out what works for you and your financial needs, and do it well.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
It used to be that in order for the higher ups to have their 401K, a certain percentage of the rank and file had to participate. That's why there are those meetings.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
So, should we still be investing in these things while at our day jobs to take the free money, or ignoring this on the basis of future fastlane wealth and using the money in more productive ways? Smarter to come up with solid idea and then stop the investment?

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
The employer match is the only reason I still have a 401K. If you think about it, 401Ks are based off the premise that you pay taxes later. When have taxes ever been lower....later? I say pay the tax now and do something more productive with the money if you don't have employer match.

If you do have the match, do the minimum required to get the match.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.