The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

3D Printer List - Cheapest to Most Expensive

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Hey everyone I recently purchased a 3D printer for a new project I'm working on to help me with the prototype process. I came across this great list if anyone is interested. It contains almost every 3d printer on the planet. I personally went with Type A Machines - Series 1 unit which was $1400.00. Reason being is because I needed a large build volume, this particular model has a build volume of 9x9x9 inches which is perfect for what I need, and it produces exceptional quality for value.

Anyway if anyone is interested in a 3D printer, here's a great list to get you started.

3ders.org - price compare 3D printers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I currently use 3D printing for small production runs and prototyping. It's great that you can just start them and walk away and the most complex geometries appear when you return.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
EDIT - I actually bought the Ditto from Tinkerines.com.

Type A Machines were a$$ munches and never replied to emails.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Damn this 3d printing stuff is real amazing, what you guys thinking of doing with this new technology business wise ?

I have a couple ideas I want to do in the future.

But so far. I'm trying to create my own sunglasses.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
I have a couple ideas I want to do in the future.

But so far. I'm trying to create my own sunglasses.

Yeah I might look into it, but dont you think that this might be too accessable to anyone meaning that profit wont be done from 3dprints since anyone can just buy a 3dprinter ?

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
Thanks for the link - I am extremely interested in 3d printing - going to take a few classes by me to learn more

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
but dont you think that this might be too accessable to anyone meaning that profit wont be done from 3dprints since anyone can just buy a 3dprinter ?

not sure I know exactly what you mean.

The internet is accessible to everyone on the planet, yet very few people use it to make money.

Also, I don't plan on selling the '3d prints' it's simply a tool to get my 3d models from the computer into a workable physical object, to make silicone molds from, once sanded and polished perfectly. It's a quick way of producing accurate prototypes as well.

Any other method would be ridiculously expensive to get to where I currently am.

Also, you still need to deliver something of Style, Quality and Innovation which isn't an easy/quick process.

Trust me, it is not easy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
what you guys thinking of doing with this new technology business wise ?

Vick has an extensive thread on the INSIDE about his process and his thoughts regarding 3D printing.

Type A Machines were a$$ munches and never replied to emails.

How sad, but typical.

It's a quick way of producing accurate prototypes as well.

Awesome use for this ... I'd imagine the ability to go from concept to prototype has is now lightyears faster.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Hey do you mind some pics on the products (sunglasses) that you've tried to make?

This is fairly fascinating - the creativity is the only barrier - you can freaking create products with a machine at home...on a rapid scale!

and you can download that stuff and then make it a physical object... jesus and i thought wireless video was amazing.

Other > Physibles - TPB

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Ya sure. Here's a concept I did in the computer. Please note that this design is kinda old now. I have some new designs that I'll be showing soon because my initial prototypes failed with this particular design.

There's some videos in the thread as well. But you have to be an INSIDERS to see them.

5035d1365908259-new-project-proto05.jpg

5033d1365908255-new-project-proto03.jpg

5031d1365908251-new-project-proto01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
ok.

images are on my home computer.

i'll post a couple images tonight.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
not sure I know exactly what you mean.

The internet is accessible to everyone on the planet, yet very few people use it to make money.

Also, I don't plan on selling the '3d prints' it's simply a tool to get my 3d models from the computer into a workable physical object, to make silicone molds from, once sanded and polished perfectly. It's a quick way of producing accurate prototypes as well.

Any other method would be ridiculously expensive to get to where I currently am.

Also, you still need to deliver something of Style, Quality and Innovation which isn't an easy/quick process.

Trust me, it is not easy.

Great response.

Thinking that products from 3D Printers will have too much competition is beyond comprehension.
People probably said the same when normal printers came out....

And very true about making money online. The net has been around for more than 2 decades, yet you still can build a site targeting a specific niche or keyword, rank for it, and make good money from it. You'd think all the keywords would've been taken up by now.... Lol.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
and you can download that stuff and then make it a physical object... jesus and i thought wireless video was amazing.

Other > Physibles - TPB

Lol. I'm still fascinating by speakers.

Wanderer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 14, 2013
Canada
Vick- good post and good link.
I'am using lot of 3D printer services during my work, but due requirements of the parts I always used hi-end printers , like this one
3D Printers Canada | Print in 3D, Rapid Prototyping Machines, Buy Objet 3D Printers
Never have experience with low end models , like in this table. It is interesting, if you can compare quality from this printers and Objet once.
I make some research also , minimum price which I received for FDM printer was $25000. My contractor using SLS 3D printer which cost around 1/2 million dollars.
Can you suggest (if you know) any place where possible to receive reliable info about differences of 3D printers (this cheap once and expensive once) ?

ableme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 20, 2013
CT, USA
I currently use 3D printing for small production runs and prototyping. It's great that you can just start them and walk away and the most complex geometries appear when you return.

This is the reason I am also looking into purchasing a 3d printer! My current prototype idea would cost me about $800-$2000 via some rapid prototype companies I've researched. So I might as well invest in a printer because it seems it would be a better way to go, especially if you create a lot of new product ideas.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Vick- good post and good link.
I'am using lot of 3D printer services during my work, but due requirements of the parts I always used hi-end printers , like this one
3D Printers Canada | Print in 3D, Rapid Prototyping Machines, Buy Objet 3D Printers
Never have experience with low end models , like in this table. It is interesting, if you can compare quality from this printers and Objet once.
I make some research also , minimum price which I received for FDM printer was $25000. My contractor using SLS 3D printer which cost around 1/2 million dollars.
Can you suggest (if you know) any place where possible to receive reliable info about differences of 3D printers (this cheap once and expensive once) ?

Uhhhhh.... how about I just tell you what I know. not really sure what your askin.

I have no experience with the high-end printers. I did a little research on them, just for some basic knowledge, but the pricing was waaaaay outta my league..... for now

seeing as the high-end printers were outta my league, it didn't make sense for me to waste my time on them(for now anyway). So I put all my attention to what I needed. the affordable ones.

with that said.

the affordable printers can produce pretty good quality for what I need. But there is ALOT of clean up involved. and ALOT of calibration and testing. and ALOT of patience and waiting. i.e. for what I'm printing it takes around 8-10 hours to print, then about 8-12 hours of sanding and polishing, but before any of that, there's alot of calibrating and testing. it's very tedious. but the results are pretty good. and if i can get results, then that's all that matters to me.

I imagine the higher-end models are more streamlined and produce amazing quality (layer depth). and are probably much faster and more accurate. with little clean up. again, I'm just assuming. more money usually means better quality. usually

If your asking me if I know where there's info on the differences between low-end and high-end. No, I don't really have an answer to that.

however.

I have always trusted the saying.

you get what you pay for.

If I were you. I would research all the best Low-end models, get all the details for each model. Then research all the high-end models, gather all the details. and then compare them.

I think you'll find that you can accomplish much more then you think with a more affordable solution.

but I don't know what your making so it's hard for me say.

if your making really detailed parts that require very precise measurements, then it's probably best to stay with the high-ends.

hope this sheds some light on your question.

if not i'll try again later ;) cheers

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
My current prototype idea would cost me about $800-$2000 via some rapid prototype companies I've researched.

another thing about this.

your initial design will probably not work right away.

so you'll have to do more prints.

i.e. more money spent.

it's cheaper in the long run to have your own printer.

you can print as many as you need!

and. you have the control.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
The Form Labs one seems like the best choice in my opinion,

1) It is right in the median of prices so I feel like the quality will be not horrible but not the best

2) The design looks great, I think it's a unique look and the other ones look too mechanical for me

3) They raised money from Kickstarter to get going, being an Entrepreneurial forum I'm sure we can understand the significance of supporting start-up companies

I'm really interested to see how this will change the manufacturing world

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
I'll just add my experience.

I do a lot of prototyping on 3D printers.

I used to use SLA exclusively.

Now my main choice is the PolyJet printer by Stratasys. It has an amazing production like finish (except it is more brittle and degrades from UV exposure).

The Stratasys FDM printers are nice too, especially the higher resolution ones.

I also seen some really cool printers at a trade show a few months ago. These think produced incredibly detailed parts using many colors and felt just like ceramic. I have the literature in my office, but I don't currently remember the company right off hand.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Hey do you mind some pics on the products (sunglasses) that you've tried to make?

This is fairly fascinating - the creativity is the only barrier - you can freaking create products with a machine at home...on a rapid scale!

Other > Physibles - TPB

Here's some images of the old design.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012