The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$3,000 to $1,000,000 in 15 months: HOW TO DO IT

Idea threads

Geo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 19, 2009
United Kingdom
This thread really is an inspiration to me.

I'm 17, have around £2k so little over $3k and I'm really concentrating on thinking of some ideas to have a go at this. Just like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed and keep the ideas coming!:yourock:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Taking MJ's advice of being the driver, not the passenger, I took my fight to the source of money creation: wall street.

I will update back sooner or later and let you know whether I have survived, succeed, or be burnt to toast haha.

chandabb

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 7, 2009
Indianapolis
I spent last night and some of the morning reading through the ideas in this thread. Some of the ideas are awesome! I'd be interested to know if anyone actually followed through with their plan and what were the final results? I've had various ideas myself (products, e-businesses, real estate, even ebay/auctions)...I'll admit I've either been scared, there isn't a good ROI for what I did try, or I just couldn't figure out how to get started. Yes I tried to find books, but I haven't been successfull at finding those that explain how things are done or how they found the information to figure out how to get going. This is where I think it would be helpful to have a mentor...Sorry for rambling...Again, I think it'd be great to hear from those that had ideas in the past...Did you put them into action? What were/are your results?

Cheers everyone and all the best to you in 2010! :cheers:

PV123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 12, 2010
Mexico
Hello Everyone,

Great post Russ,

Have any that posted in this challenge made your one million. Please share your ideas.

Desert_NM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 25, 2010
New Mexico
Being a young teenager I have a few ideas myself. The most important thing to me is definitely being good in school (getting homework done, etc.). Because I don't know that you can get this kind of money without an education, so that comes first. Since my mom is a computer biz wiz, I think I would take an online approach. The technology of this time is not a luxury anymore but is becoming a necessity. Kids are on the internet ALL of the time! I think I would create a website that sold things that teenagers are interested nowadays (sports, games, clothing, jewelry, etc.). An online approach is much cheaper and I believe much easier than taking a "non-online" approach. It is easier to manage, and with the right knowledge/skills could make you more prepared for what you would have to do and you could possibly get to your goals faster. The $3,000 will get your starting merchandise from there and the profits will pay for the rest and get you to your mark. All you need to do is advertise your website at your school, and if you are lucky enough to have the right products, business will boom. I am not sure whether or not this would work, but I think it is how I would do it. Being only a teenager, I am new to this stuff but I do know what kids are interested in and that is what will get you to your $1M goal. Hope this is helpful! :wave:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Being a young teenager I have a few ideas myself. The most important thing to me is definitely being good in school. Because I don't know that you can get this kind of money without an education, so that comes first . . . I am not sure whether or not this would work, but I think it is how I would do it. Being only a teenager, I am new to this stuff but I do know what kids are interested in and that is what will get you to your $1M goal. Hope this is helpful! :wave:

Desrt_NM-

You would learn a lot if you read this entire thread.

A lot.

-Russ H.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
the first time i saw this thread, i thought of it as a "fun challenge" that one can ATTEMPT to. but as time goes on, i begin to realize that this is nothing. anyone can do this, this is reality, this has been reality for many. there are many men who have gone from $3k to $1mil in 15months. this is what fastlane is about. i'm seeing it, believing it, understanding it, and one day, i will be living it, because my mind is seriously wrapping around the idea. $3k to $1mil in 15months? VERY DO ABLE, BUT YOU GOTTA BELIEVE IT!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
the first time i saw this thread, i thought of it as a "fun challenge" that one can ATTEMPT. but as time goes on, i begin to realize that this is nothing. anyone can do this, this is reality, this has been reality for many. there are many men who have gone from $3k to $1mil in 15months. this is what fastlane is about. i'm seeing it, believing it, understanding it, and one day, i will be living it, because my mind is seriously wrapping around the idea. $3k to $1mil in 15months? VERY DO ABLE, BUT YOU GOTTA BELIEVE IT!

Very true.

Our original PLAN was to generate $2,000,000 in about 4-5 years.

From the time we started working in earnest (Nov 2003), it took us only 18 months to get to that goal ($2,000,000).

We were having so much fun, we decided to take it to the next level.

That's what we've been working on since.

As of yesterday, we now have 35 B&B rooms (started w/9 in 2003).

Not a good time to sell right now. But as things return, we expect our Inns will be worth around $10M.

Timing is critical. In 2007/8, a 35 room B&B w/the kind of occupancy/numbers we do would have sold for more than $12,000,000.

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Very true.

Our original PLAN was to generate $2,000,000 in about 4-5 years.

From the time we started working in earnest (Nov 2003), it took us only 18 months to get to that goal ($2,000,000).

We were having so much fun, we decided to take it to the next level.

That's what we've been working on since.

As of yesterday, we now have 35 B&B rooms (started w/9 in 2003).

Not a good time to sell right now. But as things return, we expect our Inns will be worth around $10M.

Timing is critical. In 2007/8, a 35 room B&B w/the kind of occupancy/numbers we do would have sold for more than $12,000,000.

-Russ H.

Is the $10m clear after the mtgs. paid off from the $12 m? Will you have the mtgs. paid off when you sell for the $10 m when things return? :seeya:

CardShark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 27, 2009
Texas
I am the beginning stages of something that would be close to reaching the goal set forth in the first post. The difference is that we (me and my biz partner) are using about 5500 dollars and after we did some numbers with a semi retired business man (who was/is very successful in turning around failing companies as well as start ups). I will not discuss the project until after we launch, but I am hopeful that we will turn a significant profit year 2 or 3. A million would be nice and is in reach, but that is not the first thing on my mind right now as I am taking a quick work break.

G

Guest3722A

Okay, after some thought this is what i came up with... mind you it is raw and needs shape but for the exercise, I believe this fits in the rules, and, I have two approaches, both hold substantial risk of loss, but for the timeframe, high risk (100% loss)is the only way I can make this work without more time. Also, seeing that the vicarious subject is a minor, a trick will need to be used.

Both ideas require study and learning and both center on the stock market.
So to start, the after school study materials will be William O'Neil and IBD (Investor's Business Daily) and Turtle Trader rules. Turtle trader was a trade system developed by professional traders that proved novice traders could succeed and be profitable by following trends and systems.

Next step: open an account with a broker that will allow the subject to sim-trade, meaning, trading actual stocks but with imaginary money. Right now this account is not going to be funded so if the question comes up on the application about age, lie. :) The key here is to get an account that shows things that trade live "after hours" seeing that he is in school. Right in here is where the student needs to work like he's never worked before! Absorb absorb, make mistakes and learn. Okay, at this point we're going to assume that the aspiring young trader is now a profitable trend follower through practice and study and has placed imaginary swing trades in several instruments. Now remember that trick I mentioned above, I don't know about other states, but in the State of Michigan, to file articles of organization for an llc, it only costs $50 and doesn't require mention of age. BAM!! One entity... One to two months should be more than enough to get to this point. Now, open and fund an actual account in the llc. RIGHT HERE tho, is where we may find a hurtle which is expected so, STEP A LITTLE HIGHER! The 'hurtle' is that I can't remember if the IRS is going to request 'age' when applying for the ss4. An ss4 is a document that a broker is going to request along with the articles of organization. IF SO, my next suggestion is to find someone who sells already made and seasoned LLCs and corporations that already have ss4s AND ARE CREDIT-WORTHY which will take a bite out of the $3000 and you may get lucky, but as a 17 yr old, what else can you do unless your parent signs?
So let's say we finally make it to this point, next step, place a limit order trade which means from your studies, you know at what price you want to buy, and what price you want to sell at a gain and at a loss. Now, go to school because the computer will do all the work. Next in line, use your longer-term trend following studies to convert to studying daytrading now at night. Trade the ES. Learn to scalp it and trade with HUGE simulated positions once you get comfortable and learn it, along with the Asian equity Markets.
Okay, here we are now 5 months later and we're going to assume that our bright trader doubled his money on his swing trade ( original two months plus three months to this point), so let's say he now has $5500. Yes I know, 5 months in and only $5500 but, now the fun! use the corporation or llc to get a seat at a proprietary trading firm that will allow 100x's buying power once you have the $5000 minimal requirement. Now seeing that the trader is restricted, find a Prop shop that allows remote trading AND trades Asian equities so that the trader can trade at home remote, and trade after school hour during school months, and market hours during summer vacation. So, with 5 months in, prior to signing with a prop shop (also known as an arcade)and a double, and ten months to go but now with 100x's buying power, two more doubles are all that's needed! and seeing that the first double was achieved within 3 months, 10 months should be a piece of cake!! -And yes, I can give a LIST of stocks just about every week that double every month to three.

The second idea, much lazier and also require an entity- Make a list of penny stocks that repeat/jump every few months or years and find the ones that look like they're close to jumping and spread the money out on two or three. An example of one like this is USOG which right now is trading at 1 penny, and every 3 or 4 years it jumps between $4 and $20. :urock2:

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
I would borrow a truck and invest that $3,000 into pennies. I would drive around from nearby city to nearby city buying as many pennies as the banks etc. Would sell.

Without much of a plan, I'd go online with hope in my eyes and dread in my heart (at having to sort all those pennies.) I would look up the value of collectors coins I hope to find and sell online.

At this point I would discover that there is more copper in old pennies than their current value, and there are many people who hoard the copper pennies in fear of a total economic collapse.

So I would begin selling the pennies for 1.5 - 1.7x the face value, adjusted over time to see where the sweet spot was. Occasionally I would get a lucky find to sell.

The useless pennies just get wrapped back up and replaced.

Soon I would discover that old nickels (I'm Canadian!) are made with .999 nickel and are also worth more than face value. So I would buy those instead of pennies to save time.

After a while, I'd actually start looking at it as a serious business and stop squandering my surplus on chips, pop, and friends. I'd discover and look into the e-business craze of writing information books to sell. Armed with knowledge, I'd write a book about how to make make money 100% risk free guarunteed.

If I'm smart enough, I'll market it well, likely chose a much different title and push my book into little niches you need a certain insight to tap.

More likely I'd just setup a facebook page and spam people. Sooner or later, (likely sooner than later) something I read, or something someone says would lead me to post it up on clickbank.

Will it make me a million dollars in 15 months? Not unless I have a really good mindset and I seek out a good partner or mentor and I find the top sellers for the market to pimp the product.

G

Guest3722A

The whole reason I posted this thread was to challenge ALL of us to expand our thinking.

Yes, it's easier to come up with ideas to make 10K or 100K in a year.

But if you see that, why not try to scale it up larger? Is that possible?

My favorite responses on this thread are the ones who say, "Gee, this isn't easy."

No duh!

If it were easy, it wouldn't be a challenge, eh? :banana:

Seems like we get at least 3 groups of people responding here:

Group 1: Those who read the initial post and got all fired up to come up with a solution. They worked out a whole plan-- not just a few half-hearted suggestions, but an actual implementation plan.

Groupl 2: Those who try, but are stymied by their own self-imposed sense of what is -- and IS NOT-- possible. The ones who start, and can only come up with "invest in stocks" or "try this one big general topic". No high-level planning or entrepeneureal thinking is involved.

Group 3: There are others who can't see a thing. They're dead off the line. Car never even starts. Some don't even post--- they just read and click the back button. Others post how hard this is.

All in all, this is a great cross section of typcial responses to any problem.

But you have to ask yourself: If you're in Groups 2 or 3, and you plan on being a millionaire someday, how will this ever happen if your beliefs and lack of motivation hold you back?

-Russ H.

Russ, I just found this little gem on another board and what's interesting is he mentions prop trading as did I. The only difference is, he went from $1000 to $1M in 2 years obviously using prop leverage, whereas I'm about to begin in a week. i just found this not even 15 minutes ago and I hope it's an inspiration for some. Outside of his personal life, it absolutely is for me:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I just found this thread.

It's definitely best to keep these questions here instead of the P/L thread, as the mods have requested repeatedly we keep that thread on topic.

1993: I start swing trading/investing in Israeli stocks by phone from my IDF army base. I was 18 at the time... and a clueless amateur, of course. I run my $4,000 life's savings (Bar mitzvah gifts, mostly) up to $13,000... and then lose it all.

My military service was the toughest three years of my life. Getting ordered around all day by jagoffs with half your IQ is no picnic, I can assure you. Out in the shit, I become determined to never again be at the complete mercy of other people. I figure the best possible way to accomplish this, is to get rich.

After my honorable discharge in fall 1995, I come back to Chicago (where I was born), and get a runner job in the S&P pit.

Spring 1996- I start clerking at Schonfeld. Landing this job was probably the biggest lucky break of my life.

Summer 1996- Got my series 7 and started trading prop at Schonfeld. I had about $1,000 to my name, and was actually living on less than that amount per month... No car, and a shitty rental apartment with two roommates. Two months after I started trading professionally, I was making enough to cover my meager needs.

Summer 1998- The Golden Age Of Trading begins. The LTCM blowup, along with the Asian & Russian economic crises create incredible volatility- hence incredible trading opportunities. I become a milionaire at age 24. This Golden Age, aka the tech boom, aka the dot-com bubble lasts through the year 2000, when it ends in a climax of spectacular volatility. Endless billion$ in dumb money flow into the market through clueless retail investors- and even more clueless mutual funds, run by the likes of Janus and Invesco. Life is one big party... Champagne, blow and caviar for everyone!

2001- What a crappy year. It started badly for me, and marked a tragic wrong turn for the entire country, as the American people get hit with a triple-whammy: 9/11, the recession, and to top it off... the beginning of America's rapid descent into fascism. The American people however, don't seem to notice the implications of the Patriot Act, as they are distracted by Survivor reruns.

Spring 2003- After two and a half years of mediocre trading results, I'm not even trying anymore. My attendance at work slips below 25%, and I resign from Schonfeld (which is and always was a great firm to work for),as they shut down their Chicago office.

2003- 2004: My boring & depressing (yet profitable) stint as a professional poker player. I wreck my marriage.

A

Anon3587x

I swear I'm so tempted to sell my mustang. I can prob get around 3500$ for it.
the thought of driving my 78 unreliable el camino is not very comforting . this post just motivates me to gun for it !

I look at this challenge as completely feasible.
People have done more with less.

w4rl0rdx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 2, 2009
Michigan
I swear I'm so tempted to sell my mustang. I can prob get around 3500$ for it.
the thought of driving my 78 unreliable el camino is not very comforting . this post just motivates me to gun for it !

I look at this challenge as completely feasible.
People have done more with less.

haha, my friend has a mustang, they can be fun cars... but making money would be alot more fun. I love this thread!

A

Anon3587x

If the real estate market was better I would use my 1 time low interest VA loan. (395,000$ I think)
buy a house or property, maybe a few houses?
sell them immediately, or as fast as I possible could.
(Not sure if this is even legal, or what steps I would have to go through in between)

I would then be left with "for sake of argument, ignoring all the variables in between" 395.000$

I would pay rent for a house with a BIG backyard or lots of storage area for a year.
Lets say it cost 10,000$ This would be my place of business.

Using the 385,000$ I have left over, I would continue to repay my VA loan monthly at about lets say 1200$. (even though it may or may not be lower.) While taking another 24,000 out into a separate account. so I'd know no matter what for 2 years I'd be able to keep making payments on that loan without worrying about it. <-- safety net.

I am now left with 361,000$. Let's say $320,000 If you take into account living expenses and taxes over the course of a year. (again could be more or less)

The Ol' saying goes it takes money to make money. Well I now have money (and a fair amount of it i might add)
I would be open to all kinds of business opportunity's now.
And already 1/3 of the way to a million.

I could just keep buying/selling real estate, but my mother works in escrow and directly under a man who does the same thing. The market is so sh**y right now. I just don't personally trust that system at the moment. (Maybe in the near future, hopefully)

But I could easily buy my own machines to make my own product, I mean the possibility's of having 300.000$+ to play with is infinite.

I know if I had that kind of money to start, I would find a way to make it happen.
As would any other motivated individual.

I could prob get myself to that point in 3 months if I got lucky and played my cards right. I would have to do more research into the VA loan idea though, I'm not very educated on how it works.

But this would leave me with 12 months, and 300k to make 1 million.

I guess if I wanted to be a smart a$$ I could say I used the 3k for gas and travel expenses while I drove around looking for property's. but hey that sounds even feasible as well!

Any problems anyone sees with this idea please bring them to my attention. This may partially become a reality for me and now its all typed up and the idea is made into some sort of physical form it seems something worth gunning for. I know I probably left out some heavy variables in between leaving me with less then 300.000$. Enlighten me please :)

I'm so cocky I don't really look at this as high risk at all, I know with 300k I could make some amazing profits one way or another. I'd find a way.
Real estate is just so shaky for me.

After re-reading my reply I did not stick to the guidelines very all in which I apologize. This post just got me really thinking about my options. It all started with the idea of me selling my mustang. I then started to look into other things I own or are entitled to and this is what came out of it.

ply123

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks Russ for this most inspiratonal post ever.

one post somewhere in this thread says about not replying anything in the forum...I think saying something is just like commiting partly and slow laner mentality doesn't let this to happen.ok back to topic...

After reading and re reading every single reply here I finally decided
to brainstorm myself and come up with my plan..
i am living in india...use of internet is still low due to lack of facilities but that's the opportunity...I'm starting a website (details later on)that will help the subscriber in many ways..some being advertising..growth of individual business and many more...the site is unique...nobody in india has ever attempted it...part of this web site will also be devoted to upbringing of needy people like homeless people..
for earning purpose i need to get only 4000 people to become subscribers..in 15 months....that will be 233 subscribers each month...this may look simple but i know it's not...But I know I can do it...
whatever profits earned during first 6 months will partly be invested in trading of stocks....and after dealing with the trading I assure better i can guarentee myself of approximately 2% return a day..this is huge I have done it in the past so can now...
remaining amount from profit will be used to be invested in flipping properties...But as someone said if everyone is doing same business know that opportunity has gone...still I know opportunities are never gone you've to just work harder...
I've already registered a domain....one of my friend is helping me in building the site whio will be given some share in the profits..he is not investing anything except his knowledge of web designing...
Will be giving updates periodically...
Again thanks a lot to all of you...:thankyousign:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
bump.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
Great thread. I will try and read it all tonight when I get home.

I sorta have a deal right now that kinda fits the bill. Closer to a 15k investment and 1mil in 20 months I would say. It's adult related so not sure if that's ok to talk about here.
:blush:

arvinblaine

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Great Info. If you are serious about wanting to be successful, it’s extremely important to focus on one thing and one thing only: [promotional link removed by mods]

Arvin- read the rules on the front page, or you will be banned in short order:

We have 4 simple rules:

No political discussions.
No religious discussions.
No signature links until after 50 posts*
No trolls/haters.

*This includes links in your posts to sites that are selling something.

If you'd like to be a member of this community, please post an intro in the introductions section, . Those who do not post intros, and just post replies/comments, get LOTS of complaints/ reports from the rest of the members (so it's just good practice to say "hi" and introduce yourself!) :)

Welcome to the fastlane. Hope you make it. :banana:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
It's adult related so not sure if that's ok to talk about here.
:blush:

Best not to. Certain words tend to trigger google alerts and we get some questionable posters.

-Russ H.

John Rogers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 29, 2010
Washington State, USA
Okay, I haven't read the other ideas here yet, but I have a little time to stretch my brain today, so here we go...

Month 1 - I spend this month in research, mostly on the internet using free resources, trying to figure out what direction to go, and learning a little bit about SEO and other basic internet skills.

Month 2 - I decide to build a subscription based site that fulfills a specific need. In order to sell the site for $1 million, I figure it needs to be bringing in about $50K per month in profit at the time of sale. (That's $600K per year. Assuming that revenues are on the rise at the time of sale, that should safely be $1.5 million revenue over two years, making $1 million a reasonable investment for the buyer). After coming to that conclusion, I figure I should be able to bank $250K in the process, so could actually sell for $750K, netting me $1 million total. I then decide that my target at the time of sale needs to be $35K per month profit for a $750K selling price.

The bulk of my month two time is again spent in research and education. By the end of the month I decide to create a waterfront real estate listing site where sellers and agents pay to list their properties. My main competitor is lakehouse.com, which is primarily lakefront property. My site will encompass all types of waterfront property. I feel my site needs to be as good as or better than theirs, and I must meet or beat their pricing.

After researching scripts, I feel that phprealty best fills my need and provides the user a better experience than my competitor.

Not including agent spotlight ads, their prices basically break down to

1 listing $10/month - 6 month increment
3 listings $21/month - 6 month increment
10 listings $25/month - 1 yr increment
20 listings $41/month - 1 yr increment
40 listings $63/month - 1 yr increment
100 listings $83/month - 1 yr increment

I figure I'll keep the 1 listing price the same, but don't need so many price levels.
I'll do an agent special for 10 listings at $20/month in 6 month increments, and a broker special for 40 listings at $50/month in 6 month increments.

Figuring my primary customer base is going to be agents with 2-10 listings, my target is 2000 customers. (2000 x $20 = $40K per month. I would need to keep my costs under $5K per month for my $35K/month profit goal)

Month 3 - I buy the phpmyrealty script ($200), web hosting, and three domains. One domain is for the script, one is for waterfront real estate buying and lifestyle content, and one is for waterfront real estate selling content. The two content sites are for driving traffic to the listing site. I spend $800 on graphics, modifications to the script and data entry. I use Wordpress with free themes for the two content sites, and spend $500 on writers for the initial content. Total investment so far: about $1550.

After the listing site is functional, most of my own time is spent contacting agents with listings on lakehouse.com and offering them a free 90 day trial of the ten listing agent package. This will populate the site with the initial listings.

Months 4-15 - This leaves me a full year to further develop, market, and drive traffic to the site. The rest of my $3K is spent on content creation, SEO work (keyword research, backlinks creation, etc), and marketing. By the time that $3K is spent, the site will be generating revenue and paying for any further costs.

With all of their focus on this project, I don't think it's unreasonable for a 17 year old going to school and living with their parents to be able to acquire a base of 2000 paying customers in a year once the groundwork has been laid.

Quenby

Banned
Jan 10, 2011
USA
When there is a will there is a way . . . :D
But the thing is that you need to be master your self in something good and you can do it at your best and with ease there should be no pressure of any kind on you .

jrws

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 9, 2011
Doonside, NSW Australia
The ideas in this thread have gotten me swimming:
With $3000 I would do the following:
Research a market for a service (car washing) $1500
That's with flyers and cold calling to see if there were people interested.
Buy my supplies $50
Get people to buy a yearly contract so instead of paying $15 a car (for example) every two weeks, they pay $350 for a year, saving $40
Next with the remaining money($1450) I would hire some of my friends to wash the cars.
Eventually when I want to expand I would hire else where including sales staff that wish to sell the contracts.

I hope this is a viable plan, because I actually plan to do it, and I don't have any money at all XD. I already have a market for car washing, and a name; Spacarclean
(spa - ka - lean) and I am making (occassionally) $20 for only 1hrs work, but I want to expand and scale it up. So if there is any advice, I am an empty cup and ready and willing to learn and try :)

JimmyJam

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Just came across this thread. I thought this was extremely interesting. Has anyone had success on this yet? I see it goes back a few years.

Unwittingly, it looks like my project falls into this category, but I'm starting with less than $1000 (this may change as I have to put some of my cash in).

This is going to be an interesting ride.

Month 1-1.5 web development
Months 2-15 - Promotion and a freakin lot of it. The goal is traffic. I'm still trying to decide at what traffic nmbers that I should try to monetize the site.

For anyone wondering what up I'm up to, I promise an update (maybe a thread) when it starts generating. I'm not the first to do what I'm trying to do, just that everyone that's doing it, SUCKS!

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Bear-

The whole goal of this thread is to dispel the notion of "get rich quick"-- not through sarcasm, but by showing someone that getting rich is a *process*.

By having people see the work (and planning) involved to make this challenge happen, it's clear that it's not "get rich easy" or even "get rich quick", but "get rich in a relatively short period of time by developing a scalable concept that fills a need."

We read about these stories all the time-- from the facebook template girl (making hundreds of thousand of $$, so fast she dropped out of high school and got a GED), to any one of the other young entrepreneurs who "strike it rich" in a matter of months.

They get there through hard work, AND by having a concept where growth is not tied directly to their personal time (so their business can grow exponentially without needing exponential time commitments from the founder).

I'm sorry that you read the entire thread, and didn't see this.

-Russ H.

I would like to point out that reading success stories of other business people on the web or in books are good for ideas and motivation but essentially worthless when they leave out the obvious details of HOW they made the venture a success. I have read alot of these stories like the next person has, but the facts are that these stories virtually always leave out the success factors (the process) that made the business what it is. Which leaves me to believe that these stories are really a waste of time reading; most people are out to duplicate a business and it is next to impossible without know the process detail by detail. Maybe you can figure it out for yourself how to do it but more than likely there is a reason why the other 100 or 1000 people couldnt make it work and the successful person did; they had something that you dont.

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
As John Michael Montgomery once said:

"Life's a dance, you learn as you go"

You don't have to know every single detail...yes, having a plan is essential, BUT you also have got to flow with the changes.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I would monetize whenever. You wont drive anyone away with ads, often times people think it makes a website look more legit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.