The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2011 Beer & Pancakes

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Feb 25-27 works for me.

-Russ H.

Me, too!

It won't matter with Matt.
Even if he shows up on the prior weekend, it is likely he'll still be around on the 25th.:smilielol:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Talked to Firesky, looks like we are good for next year. The room rate increased to $179/night but it's still a good deal.

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
Sounds good to me look forward to doing another road trip. Will make sure to have enough people around in case anything comes up in Long Beach again. If the state of AZ, was not so uptight about the fireworks laws. I would offer to put on a display just something about those wild fires out in those parts.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Talked to Firesky, looks like we are good for next year. The room rate increased to $179/night but it's still a good deal.

Did you need to sign a contract? Do we get the conference room included?

What are the minimum # of rooms we need to sell?

This is FANTASTIC news, Bio-- THANK YOU!! :thankyousign:

-Russ H.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Did you need to sign a contract? Do we get the conference room included?

What are the minimum # of rooms we need to sell?

This is FANTASTIC news, Bio-- THANK YOU!! :thankyousign:

-Russ H.

Yes I have to sign a contract and put down a deposit. We get the conference room, it's a different room slightly smaller but will hold up to 55 classroom style. We have to order enough food again to get the room for free, but that will be no problem.

We need to sell 18 total room nights. 6 people for 3 nights, Thur, Fri and Sat. I doubt that will be a problem next year, I think we had 20+ room nights this year.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Well I spoke too soon. I received the contract and they included a requirement for lunch on the patio on all 3 days which was not mentioned before. So I may look for a new venue.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Well I spoke too soon. I received the contract and they included a requirement for lunch on the patio on all 3 days which was not mentioned before. So I may look for a new venue.
I know that their restaurant was expensive but the food was fantastic and there was a variety. Is the cost so much additional that we cannot add it? And maybe if we swing it, we finagle that they could allow us to bring in our own breakfast to the meeting room?

Just an idea.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I know that their restaurant was expensive but the food was fantastic and there was a variety. Is the cost so much additional that we cannot add it? And maybe if we swing it, we finagle that they could allow us to bring in our own breakfast to the meeting room?

Just an idea.

Ok, they just waived that requirement. :smx9: We just have a $1000 food and beverage requirement now which we can easily meet.

I don't mind eating at their restaurant Taggia. But what they wanted was for us to get a catered lunch which would run about $40-$50 a person for each day.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Ok, they just waived that requirement. :smx9: We just have a $1000 food and beverage requirement now which we can easily meet.
YEAH!!! You are awesome!
I don't mind eating at their restaurant Taggia. But what they wanted was for us to get a catered lunch which would run about $40-$50 a person for each day.
I hear THAT!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
wildambitions said:

FYI for all of you (if you ever wind up booking a venue):

LOTS of places make ALL of their money on F&B (food and beverage). The conference coordinators NEVER mention this-- it is assumed-- and put in the contracts.

Unless you plan on having a budget 3x (no joke) higher than a standard contract, you need to negotiate w/the facility to back this stuff out.

Reason they do this: Because hotels book a lot of one time events, or have events coordinated by a different volunteer each year, they can get away with this.

Typical examples of F&B:

$45-65 pp Lunch (sandwich, salad, ice tea, dessert- cost is about $5)
$85-120 pp Dinner (salad, hot meat, starch, veg, dessert, coffee or tea-- cost is about $12)
$45-65 Per dozen cookies (no, that is not a misprint- cost is about $4)
$65-95 1 Deli tray (equiv to what you'd find at the supermarket for $20-25)
$45-65 Coffee service-- PER POT-- for morning or afternoon sessions (cost is about $3-7 ea).

OK, you get the idea. CRAZY amounts of money made on this.

Bio mentioned we went a bit overbudget this past year, and when I heard some of the F&B costs for the cokes, etc, I was not surprised (we've never done that before).

RE: Overspend: I have yet to get a bill. There is no reason Biophase/RealOG/etc needs to pay this-- we should be pitching in.

How much do we own you, Kenric? Or is it small enough that you can just add it on to next year's expenses?

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Ya'll wanna do the barbeque again? Most of the house should be completed by then, maybe even some of the backyard...

Nothing-- and I mean nothing-- would please me more than to have a BBQ at your place again.

I am hoping/assuming that we could cover all of the food costs? Just having such a great venue is WAY cool. :)

-Russ H.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
$45-65 pp Lunch (sandwich, salad, ice tea, dessert- cost is about $5)
$85-120 pp Dinner (salad, hot meat, starch, veg, dessert, coffee or tea-- cost is about $12)
$45-65 Per dozen cookies (no, that is not a misprint- cost is about $4)
$65-95 1 Deli tray (equiv to what you'd find at the supermarket for $20-25)
$45-65 Coffee service-- PER POT-- for morning or afternoon sessions (cost is about $3-7 ea).

You missed one more example:

$40-$50 sushi lunch (California roles, etc... with Bob attending cost is > $100) ;)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States

$40-$50 sushi lunch (California roles, etc... with Bob attending cost is > $100) ;)

Sorry Jonny... a California role is is when someone from New York starts saying "Righteous waves, dude!"

A California Roll is served at a Sushi Bar.

Gnarly difference, bro. Eh?:coolgleamA:

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
If you need any extra money or anything let me know, I agree with Russ.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

I would think that a $40 sushi lunch would consist of 4 tiny pieces of CA roll. Wasabi and ginger, $15 more. ;)

What bobbo's thinking about (all you can eat sushi) would run into 4 figures, from a hotel F&B standpoint!

Think about it guys-- even if you drink an extra cup of coffee, they charge you (since they bill by the pot!).

Hey, how come I didn't buy a hotel?

Oh wait . . I did . . . :D

-Russ H

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bio mentioned we went a bit overbudget this past year, and when I heard some of the F&B costs for the cokes, etc, I was not surprised (we've never done that before).

-Russ H.

It's no big deal as it was somewhat expected just because we start with a low budget to keep costs down. We did go overbudget, but we also run the B&P on a tight budget that is slightly unrealistic to start with. We had extra money left over from 2009 B&P which covered the short fall.

Most of the registration fee goes towards food, a small part goes to supplies and equipment. If you think about it, you guys are paying $150 for 3 good dinners and good 2 lunches and 3 so-so breakfasts.

An example of the hotel extras...

For people staying in the rooms. Porterage is mandatory at a current cost of $9 per person round trip. Maid gratuity is mandatory at a current cost of $3 per day. Rates are subject to change without prior notice.

All food and beverage expenditures shall be subject to applicable administrative fees, gratuities and taxes which shall automatically be added at the rates of 6.85%, 16.15% and 7.95%, respectively.

So a $4 cookie would really cost us $5.24!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
An example of the hotel extras...

For people staying in the rooms. Porterage is mandatory at a current cost of $9 per person round trip. Maid gratuity is mandatory at a current cost of $3 per day. Rates are subject to change without prior notice.

All food and beverage expenditures shall be subject to applicable administrative fees, gratuities and taxes which shall automatically be added at the rates of 6.85%, 16.15% and 7.95%, respectively.

So a $4 cookie would really cost us $5.24!

31% extra charges on all F&B . . . an administrative charge on a cookie?

Come to think of it, those cookies were pretty well behaved . . . :eek:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bump-a-roo

Kenric, how're ya doing w/the contract? :)

-Russ H.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
If you need any help with anything let me know Kenric.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Well we hit a little snag in the contract because they want us to have insurance for the event.

" The parties shall obtain and maintain commercial general liability insurance in amounts sufficient to provide coverage for any liabilities that may reasonably arise out of or result from their respective obligations pursuant to this Agreement, but in any event in an amount of at least One Million Dollars ($1,000,000). You shall provide us with evidence of such insurance naming KHP SCOTTSDALE HOTEL LLC dba FireSky Resort & Spaand Kimpton Hotel & Restaurant Group, LLC as additional insureds."

We have never had to get insurance before, so I think I may have to look elsewhere unless we think its a necessary cost and its affordable. I don't even know where I'd go to get insurance for a 3 day event.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Well we hit a little snag in the contract because they want us to have insurance for the event.

" The parties shall obtain and maintain commercial general liability insurance in amounts sufficient to provide coverage for any liabilities that may reasonably arise out of or result from their respective obligations pursuant to this Agreement, but in any event in an amount of at least One Million Dollars ($1,000,000). You shall provide us with evidence of such insurance naming KHP SCOTTSDALE HOTEL LLC dba FireSky Resort & Spaand Kimpton Hotel & Restaurant Group, LLC as additional insureds."

We have never had to get insurance before, so I think I may have to look elsewhere unless we think its a necessary cost and its affordable. I don't even know where I'd go to get insurance for a 3 day event.
LMAO! WTF??? That is funny. What is this world coming to? Do they require that of all of their guests now? Commercial general liability? How does THAT apply?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Whatdya wanna bet this is because of that "sweat lodge" incident in Sedona? This is an event put together by individuals and has no corporate sponsor. If it was an official "Fastlane" event and run by myself, insurance would need to be put up by my company. I don't even know why insurance is even required as the hotel should already have it, and be incorporated into their cost.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
LMAO! WTF??? That is funny. What is this world coming to? Do they require that of all of their guests now? Commercial general liability? How does THAT apply?

Um. actually, this is pretty standard for conference bookings.

I had to provide proof of insurance on some of my gigs-- on others, the hotel underwrote it.

You may want to ask them if they have no liability insurance for conferences, and that you're group is GRAVELY CONCERNED about a resort that has no insurance.

GRAVELY CONCERNED. So much so that you're going to contact . . .

. . . the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce and ask them in Firesky is required to have general liability insurance in order to operate. And ask the Chamber if this is something guests are supposed to do-- actually take out insurance policies when staying at a resort?

Tell them if that's the case, you think it's important to share this w/the world-- that if you visit Phoenix, that you're going to need to be insured-- b/c the hotels ARE NOT.

Most local governments take a really short view on businesses that try to do this.

See what they say.

In most cases, it's smoke.

HOwever . . . I know that AZ is way business friendly, tho, so we may be on the hook.

Never hurts to ask. And talk to the Chamber.

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
We used to have to get insurance for trade shows we went to. I don't recall the cost, but it was nominal.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
Whatdya wanna bet this is because of that "sweat lodge" incident in Sedona? This is an event put together by individuals and has no corporate sponsor. If it was an official "Fastlane" event and run by myself, insurance would need to be put up by my company. I don't even know why insurance is even required as the hotel should already have it, and be incorporated into their cost.

It doesn't help that the guy that ran the deadly sweat lodge incident happened to be promising people to show them how to get rich...

...i mean, everybody knows, paying going to a spiritual seminar over the weekend and dying in a sweat lodge is probably the most profitable venture ever.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Wow! That's crazy insane. I've booked probably 4 or 5 DOZEN convention venues, and never ONCE have I been asked to provide proof of insurance. Ever.

I don't have any idea whom you would contact for such a short term policy. But in general, the 800 pound gorilla in the corporate liability / workers comp insurance field for the small business service corporation is Hartford. Approx $400/yr, if memory serves. So it might be a nominal fee for a 3-day event.

But still... I think I might look for a different venue. (Did Jonleehacker get crazy in the hotel bar again this year and start swinging from chandeliers or something?)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.