The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

11 Poverty Traps You Must Escape if You Ever Want to be Rich

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
G

GuestUser8117

I get it Mj. Your articles always entertain me and tell the truth. We have a free mentor and yet a lot of us on your forum screw your advice. I set a goal to to something to change my life every week/day. It could be reading business books, watch educational videos, implement new habits, seek a need,etc. I have grandiose dreams and I understand that I will need to change my actions daily if I want to go where I want to be.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
That picture you have to accompany your tip #11 was fantastic. Good for myspace Tom for having the balls to embarrass some piddly-a$$ slowlane hater.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
F*cking yes dude. Love it. Definitely just sent this to all of my wantrepreneurial friends.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Mj, my wife and i were reading your post and enjoyed it, but she asked......do you have kids and where do they fit in? It would be hard to quit the job......and it would be hard to avoid anything entertainment based without them feeling like we are total a**hole parents. We are taking action, but decided to put down business stuff after working on it two weeks solid and we took them to see ironman last weekend.....does this mean we arent ready to be fastlane?

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Seriously, if anyone has to ask that if taking a break from business and taking your kids to see Ironman is "not Fastlane", you should read the book again. You missed the point by a few parsecs.

And my children, or lack thereof, is irrelevant.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
LOVE IT.

LOL'd at some parts.

Your tough love, say it how it is, I don't give a shit, wake the F*ck up writing style is what makes your writing style addictive and awesome.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Awesome, thanks, its good to see I am on the right path with the majority of what I have been working towards and its good to see the areas where I can keep on improving.

Barry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 27, 2011
Jamaica
We are taking action, but decided to put down business stuff after working on it two weeks solid and we took them to see ironman last weekend.....does this mean we arent ready to be fastlane?

Thinking about it way too hard bro, The Fastlane is not something you wake up tomorrow and be ready for. It's a lifestyle

Captain Scarlet

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Mar 5, 2013
MJ, I'm curious to know how long it took you to write this article? There is quite a log of content and so I was also wondering whether you write the majority of this kind of article in one go and then a few edits or it takes you a few weeks to bring it all together. Doesn't really make any difference, but I think other people would find the answer interesting too.

Great article by the way and love the photo for tip #7.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Awesome post - it helps to read things like this from you... helps me to make sure I'm still focused!

Also, I love the new layout for your site. It's really clean and fits well with your audience.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Quality post right there MJ. I just shared it on FB, LinkedIn, and Twitter. ;)

Wouldn't it be interesting if you could somehow track the "conversion rate" on an article like this - and see how many of those who read it actually decided to make a change in their life?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ, I'm curious to know how long it took you to write this article?

Total time in aggregate, probably about 3 hours. However those 3 hours were spread out over weeks. I'd say the bulk of it (about 70%) was written in one sitting, the other 30% in short segments. My preferred method is to blow it all out in ONE sitting however with all the personal shit I have going on, it didn't happen that way. The website redo has been in the works for months and again, such an endeavor would only take me a few weeks but due to some personal inconveniences going on in my life, it has taken months.

On this INSIDE I'm gonna post some details about the website redo and my thought process behind it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Great article, reads like a good summary of what TMF and the other quality posts on this forum are about!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I like the raw, uncensored writing style. Very similar to your presentation at B&P. Thanks!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I agree with Vigilante. This shouldn't be free. This could be a book all by itself.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
Just posted this quote in the motivational quotes thread, but it applies here too:

"You will never change your life until you change something you do daily." -Mike Murdock
RE: Point 4

Great article MJ.

Hawk07

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jun 16, 2010
Iowa
MJ

That was the most balla article I have ever read. Its straight to the point. Now, if you only had the audience that cnn or Suze Orman has....you might be able to wake people up! Unfortunately, alot of "sheeple" out there (Global Wealth term), still wont get it.....even after this unbelievable article. Very well done man!

John

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Mj
Thank you !
You sir will hopefully inspire and metaphorically ‘slap ‘ thousands of readers of that post to wake the F*ck up and THINK and DO what is required to reach their goals and reach the Fastlane. I loved No 2 the picture of Morpheus from the matrix “ what if I told you..that saving 10 bucks a day wont make you rich “..hilarious
You are the fastlane morpheus : you impacted my mind profoundly when I first read your book, and since then the way I see the world ,my life, goals etc all changed irrevocably

schmengei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 13, 2013
This is sweet music to the ears of anti-gurus, non-conformists, contrarians and self-starters everywhere, Thank you:thumbsup:

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 20, 2012
MJ,

Ditto on the impressive new website for TMF ! I'm loving the "MJ photo timeline from grade school to 40's" (wtf? You're already in your 40's!?)
You look so much younger.

Your writing speaks the truth! That's what I like about you. Nice work!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Your college degree doesn't entitle you to a job. It doesn't entitle you to a paycheck. It doesn't entitle you to VIP service. It entitles you to nothing other than the realization that you've been duped by a trillion dollar industry that survives by keeping you shackled to an age-old ideal that no longer works in the modern age.
Wow, I love those great business cards that proclaim your CEO status! How much revenue are you generating? Cash flow? Oh really? Nothing?
Quit F*cking around, identify your need and then define your customer path — the shortest route to your first customer.
Why on earth should the market give a F*ck-face like you money?

I love these!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
"Arbitrage adsense profit" :rofl: :eusa_clap:

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
You know those silly sponsored ads you always get on Facebook offering advice?

I just wish they was all wiped out by this. I love successful people giving back with nothing to gain when they could be doing anything they like. This was amazing advice I am going to read it again a couple of times and even though I am still lost I will say as soon as I get home from work I have so much energy to do something and I realise the concept its just finding that thing. The problem is MJ there is only one of you and I know if you could you would help all of us as we all have different situations.

I must say I did see entrepreneurship advertised as a course at my local college and guess what it made me laugh because I remember reading from your book to only to take advice from millionaires which makes so much scence but people don't realise this.

We need more of you MJ in this world!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.