The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10% of app sale proceeds go to charity?

scatterbrain

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Aug 23, 2012
has anyone used this sales method? i am coming out with an app, and i wanted it to be free. but on the other hand, i also wanted to make some money. i figured, by saying that if an app costs .99 cents, then 10% of every dollar will go to a charity comparable to the type of app i have coming out (children's educational app/ children's charity). i feel that if i use this strategy, the people will want to buy the app more so, than just a regular purchase. thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We do a charity donation, but I don't think we sell any more or less as a result. People might feel good about it, but the bottom line is if they need or want what we're selling, they will buy it. For us, giving back to charity is something that we want to stand for from a value standpoint... but I am not sure we sell any additional as a result. If your app is worth a buck, people will pay a buck for it. If it should be free, but you charge a buck and think that people will be incentivized by the donation... we don't see that incentive. We offer donations on some models and not on others, and see no discernible response rates as a result.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
We do a charity donation, but I don't think we sell any more or less as a result. People might feel good about it, but the bottom line is if they need or want what we're selling, they will buy it. For us, giving back to charity is something that we want to stand for from a value standpoint... but I am not sure we sell any additional as a result. If your app is worth a buck, people will pay a buck for it. If it should be free, but you charge a buck and think that people will be incentivized by the donation... we don't see that incentive. We offer donations on some models and not on others, and see no discernible response rates as a result.

Recently I have been debating how I should price my app when development is finished, here is what I came up with as the 2 viable options:

1) Free Version that is very limited (1 level, 1 set of upgrades, 1 character, etc) with ads, along with a $.99 full version with in app purchases but no ads

2) Freemium version with ads and in app purchases (One of them being removing ads)

Which do you think is a better option? I feel each has pros and cons, I personally believe that $.99 is an impulse buy and people won't think twice, but free could also be good as long as the way the app is setup its a huge advantage to buy things in game.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sure, it sounds fantastic in theory, but I start thinking deeper about this.

What moral authority does a company really have to tell me that "I", yes "I" must pay 10% more for a product they are selling so that 10% can be donated to charity?

Example: I was in Kohls the other day buying some stuff and on the loudspeaker came a notice that Kohl's stores are the most environmentally blah blah, they spend more on everything to reduce carbon feetprints or something. To me it is a total snob a$$ thing to do. They are basically saying: "you are going to pay more for everything you buy today so we can play to the emotions of prius drivers". It is like they are more concerned with saving the nicorwegian swamp bat than providing a competitive place to shop for clothing.

I donate/tithe a lot (for me) of money every year. I believe you reap what you sow, it will all come back to you somehow. I do not advertise this, nor would I associate it with my business.

My exceptions are business related charities. I play in a bi-annual golf tournament as my company, it is for a sales program at UofH. I use sales people, especially good ones that undervalue themselves like college students, so it is a good fit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I thought about it when I was wearing my app blinders. I was going to make a "war zone" alarm clock and donate to a wounded warrior project.
Rockets, car bombs, base sirens..all the fun sounds to wake up to :leaving:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.