The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm going to make an easy $1M in 2015.......

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
Why are you looking to do such a drastic change in fields rather than finding a means for making your current business more fastlane? Can you find no way of separating your time from your work, or was it the lifestyle that got to you?

The grass is definitely not always greener, people think that internet is easy-street and the workload will be lighter, but in the end it is just like any other business. Getting burnt-out is just as easy when you're glued to a screen all day. However you have capital and can afford to delegate so that's a big plus. There are many people trying to get out, but it's hard to translate internet business to the real world and vice versa sometimes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
The grass is definitely not always greener, people think that internet is easy-street and the workload will be lighter, but in the end it is just like any other business. Getting burnt-out is just as easy when you're glued to a screen all day. However you have capital and can afford to delegate so that's a big plus. There are many people trying to get out, but it's hard to translate internet business to the real world and vice versa sometimes.

Bang on the mark.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
So you're currently in the construction industry, but want to transition into the internet game.

There's still a lot of work involved in creating a successful internet biz. On top of that, the landscape changes so quickly therefore you must adapt with it.

Since you have some decent cashflow and are already in an industry related to real estate, would you consider just rolling some of the profits over into a few multi-family properties? It's an old man's game and although the landscape does change, it doesn't change nearly as much as some internet niches.

I feel like it's better to stay within your area of expertise because it lowers your risk and increases the speed of execution.

forchunet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 6, 2013
STOP trying to get the guy to stay in something he doesn't want to. Obviously he's thought long and hard about this. Hard working people can translate success in other fields because they have the one common denominator - hard work.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Why are you looking to do such a drastic change in fields rather than finding a means for making your current business more fastlane? Can you find no way of separating your time from your work, or was it the lifestyle that got to you?

This. Everything I heard about ND is that there is lots of money being spent. It is small ecosystem where everything is in short supply and expensive. Time is compressed because everything runs 24/7. You have knowledge of this ecosystem that most of us cannot get because we are not there. It seems a shame you are not leveraging that knowledge.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
@Kid Money ....out of curiousity ...what's your astrological sign ? ...i am guessing it is Leo
lol Capricorn

Ok, so you're actually not full of shit, your numbers are real and I was wrong.

I guess those numbers are gross revenue since those checks are made out to your business and you'll have to pay a good portion of that for construction materials, labor costs and actually spend a good amount of time working in the business, right?

Thats what I dislike most about these "I'll make a million bucks" threads. Nobody gets specific. 1M in gross revenue in a construction business is nice but after all its just self-employment. 1M personal income from a fastlane business is a big difference.

Still, seems like you built a nice business for yourself and are looking to make the next step to detach your time from your income. So, good luck in making that step.

This post could answer just about every post below you. You get it.

I believe any business can be fastlane obviously if you basically have people run things for you and detatch yourself from it. Construction is on the very low side of the spectrum and my particular situation in ND is even harder. First off a few things should be mentioned. This construction business was not my first business so its not like I haven't seen both sides of the game. Also, my work is only possible for a very max 8 months but on both ends is a risk and comes with a lot of liability. A lot of you obviously have not owned a construction company where you have a physical trade.

Reasons why I am not making my current business fastlane:

-The reason I am on every job is because I control the quality of the work performed, which is the exact reason I do so well. If I hire some joe schmo to manage and he bombs something my rep goes in the tank and I lose tens of thousands. So I just wasted a lot of money and most importantly time. Now I have to repeat until I find one. The construction industry up there is full of scum. In my opinion it would be very hard to find a decent guy to know as much as me-that actually cares about my company enough to do good work-to stay on- and run everything else. My estimate of that would be less than a 10% success rate and if things went south it could mess up the bulk of the year. I know SOMETHING will happen throughout the year and that could tarnish my reputation.
-This "guy" I found would be dealing with hundreds of thousands of dollars and remember I just met him
-Lets say I found someone, ND is out in the complete boonies. It would not be smart no just travel half way across the world.
-ND is a complete bust as far as quality of life. Felons, probably murderers, nasty people. The list is endless. Its just something you have to experience first hand and I guarantee you would go "F*** That!"
-Construction is very hard work and very physical. There have been many many days where I was literally moving around like I was in boot camp for 12-16 hours. No joke. Literally sweating my a$$ off so bad that my jeans and shirt were like I dunked them in a pool of water all day.
-Saws, knifes, boards, very heavy stuff, chemicles, acids, nails, falling stuff, dusts, powders. I make a little slip and rip my hand/fingers off....then what? Was is worth it?
-If you work in your hometown then it is very possible to detatch yourself to the max but in construction you still have to be involved a little.
-Like MJ said in his book "A brick layer can only lay so many bricks in a day"
-Oil prices completely tank and it shut down...nobody will be making a dime

Either way things don't get kicked off until April-May there. I know I can make this work. I know its not this easy but Biophase literally took an idea out of air (soap) and made it profitable. Just get the process down and scale the shit out of it with higher margin products. Like I said I have an end goal that excites me more than ever. I have had a desk job business before and I have a construction business. Polar opposites. I've already seen both sides. Its just time to make it happen.
So you're currently in the construction industry, but want to transition into the internet game.

There's still a lot of work involved in creating a successful internet biz. On top of that, the landscape changes so quickly therefore you must adapt with it.

Since you have some decent cashflow and are already in an industry related to real estate, would you consider just rolling some of the profits over into a few multi-family properties? It's an old man's game and although the landscape does change, it doesn't change nearly as much as some internet niches.

I feel like it's better to stay within your area of expertise because it lowers your risk and increases the speed of execution.

No offense but that's exactly how every other construction guy thinks. Just a few more years. Then they wake up to be 60, knees are shot, they are busted and have nothing saved. Its just not the route I want to go. I'm going passive, I'm going more automated. Its time.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
@Kid Money ...Ahhh, the workholics of the zodiac :) ....Usually they have enough self- discipline and motivation to move mountains :)

I ask because i read an article in Forbes about The astrological signs .....12% of billionaires are Virgo ( very very focused on one target ) ...most millionaires are : Capricorn ( good news to you ), Leos, and Aries

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
So I read most of the the big/main importing threads (at least 10) from @biophase , @Kak , @Vigilante , @JAJT , etc. + Startupbros website 3-4 blog posts + extra info and google info. I know there are more spread throughout. I will add pages to my bible as I go.

I kept very detailed notes of the threads and took them down to Office Depot to get them laminated like a book. Also most of the guys I just mentioned have a particular page in my book as well with their opinions and ways of thinking that I have picked up on throughout the entire forum. I read "how I made my first million on the internet" by Ewen Chia, am reading 4HWW, and sleeping as little as possible without getting too crazy. I ordered 7 different samples earlier this week with roughly 10-12 pieces for each sample. I am going to order 2 more samples and that will be it until I start to receive them. I see it like dragging a net through water for a fish. I can have a hand net and try to catch one or two and choose, or I can set up a 20 foot wide net behind my boat and grab as many fish as I can-the ones that don't produce, I throw back. Of course I'm not trying to throw money away, but either way I see it I am going to have to test. Why not order them at once and take action.

Tonight I created a spreadsheet of all of the main components I have read about as far as choosing a good product. I just wanted to cross examine the way I looked for them from last order sample time to this one and see what it looks like. I do not want to just start with 1-2 different product samples. I am looking to take big action with smart decisions+good research. The products I researched tonight were just more of your everyday "popular product" in my niche whereas my last batch of samples are still popular but are a little higher priced with bigger margins. I figure I would like to stay AT least $10 profit per product minimum. Anything less I would like to stay away from as they will be lower margin/higher competition products.

I know this is a start and my methods are by no means perfect but I am trying to leverage every ounce of knowledge to my benefit in choosing a product, choosing a good supplier, getting it here, getting it listed correctly with all of the slight edges I can, and ultimately selling to order more. Branding is also an option as I evolve and learn the ropes a little. The products on the spreadsheet are already filtered a little through the eye test (if its in my niche but huge, bulky, dangerous, etc it never even makes the list). Shout out to all the guys on here who are import/eCommerce studs and have given information.

Knowledge-Motivation-Massive action. I'm off to contact suppliers.

-KM

4gptlk.jpg

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana

I would recommend ditching the paper notes and doing that on google spreadsheet. You can share it with other people, sort on the various columns, make backups, and do calculations directly...it's way better than some piece of paper.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Loved the trolling at the start and then the checks. LOL loved it. Sometimes us younger folks really do walk the walk, just older people don't want to believe. Not saying this forum, but had a lot of shit to deal with in school this semester because they thought I stole my business LOL, they did some research and apologized next day... to bad bureaucracy sucks and had to still do school court LMFAO...

KEEP it UP! Hope you break that 1m

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
Not trying to dissuade you in any fashion, but many of those problems you mentioned exist with the internet as well.

-The reason I am on every job is because I control the quality of the work performed, which is the exact reason I do so well. If I hire some joe schmo to manage and he bombs something
Trying to find very skilled labor is a problem online as well, especially when you have people that don't know how the pieces of the puzzle fit together. You can hire some
foreign programmers and they can end up creating more work for you.
-This "guy" I found would be dealing with hundreds of thousands of dollars and remember I just met him
Trust is a huge problem online when you don't know who you are really talking to in most cases.

-Construction is very hard work and very physical.
Working online comes with it's own problems. No social life, cooped up in a room all day in front of a screen, posture problems, brain wiped out from trying to debug something weird, eyes getting tired, almost zombie like mental fatigue can't focus etc.
-If you work in your hometown then it is very possible to detatch yourself to the max but in construction you still have to be involved a little.
Same with internet, always have to keep up, keep track, tweak etc.

-Like MJ said in his book "A brick layer can only lay so many bricks in a day"
A human can only spend so many hours staring at a led artificial lightbulb a day.
-Oil prices completely tank and it shut down...nobody will be making a dime
Business can shut down within a week or less online.

Just giving a heads up- in either case hustle is the secret sauce and you seem to have the recipe down. Wishin you success.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Not trying to dissuade you in any fashion, but many of those problems you mentioned exist with the internet as well.

Trying to find very skilled labor is a problem online as well, especially when you have people that don't know how the pieces of the puzzle fit together. You can hire some
foreign programmers and they can end up creating more work for you.

Trust is a huge problem online when you don't know who you are really talking to in most cases.

Working online comes with it's own problems. No social life, cooped up in a room all day in front of a screen, posture problems, brain wiped out from trying to debug something weird, eyes getting tired, almost zombie like mental fatigue can't focus etc.

Same with internet, always have to keep up, keep track, tweak etc.

A human can only spend so many hours staring at a led artificial lightbulb a day.

Business can shut down within a week or less online.

Just giving a heads up- in either case hustle is the secret sauce and you seem to have the recipe down. Wishin you success.

I appreciate your feedback. I do not like talking about ND especially when its in the back of my mind. I will say this- Hamburgers can fall out of the sky in ANY business or in any aspect of life for that matter. Like I said before on this thread, I have had a business that I sat in front of a computer screen literally all day before. It was a site that had a physical service to it. I failed miserably and ended up homeless and sleeping under my office desk for 6 weeks over xmas in a state that I didn't even reside in. Not because I was a loser out doing drugs and drinking like everyone else does at age 22, but because I was trying to get ahead. In my mind that validated it for me that it was ok to be homeless because I was chasing a DREAM of becoming a better human being. I do not care if I have to stare at a computer screen all day, be cooped up in a tiny box and locked in a room. Throw away the key, please. Force me to succeed. Go read Ecom Mans thread. He did over $150k in November and December alone and I am pretty sure he runs a small outfit.

I'm not doing anything differently than I would as if I was headed back to ND. It will not get rolling for another 4 months. I am going to hustle this like my life depends on it and I will make an assessment at that point. I do not care about April. Right NOW it is December 21, 2014. I will get lit up with calls and I already have jobs that are big that are for sure in April. I will gladly decline them if this business is running. The last time I checked this is the FASTLANE forum not the slowlane, sweat your a$$ off and destroy your body forum.

Here is the greatest factor as to why I am shifting. Listen very carefully. When I do a job ( I don't care how much I make, lets say 25k )....when that job is complete...I no longer even have a slight chance of making money off it again. Its done. I have to find another one. Complete opposite of passive. Once I lay all of the bricks and the house is complete, that's it. I have to find another brick house. With the internet, it will no doubt be hard but the odds of making it somewhat passive are 100x better and more feasible. Humans are humans and it doesn't matter if its construction or importing, it will always be hard to find that perfect worker.

These guys on here making a good one at importing are complete studs, but if they can do it I know its possible and I can too. Nobody had even knocked Mike Tyson to the mat before Buster Douglas kicked his a$$ and knocked him out. After that everyone started beating him. It was possible.

I have no kids or family. I'm young and risks are more minimal that I could bounce back from especially with my construction business in my pocket. I have nothing to lose. It's almost painfully obvious that I should just give it hell. What super successful person woke up every day normally, never stepped out of his comfort zone, took zero risks and did big things? Very few i'm sure. Its as simple as that. Hopefully I have addressed this enough to not have to keep explaining. I do appreciate your input though.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Mid 6 figs in 2014 so a million should be a slice of cake. I'm dedicating this post to two types of people.

My issue with this thread... ok so you made let's say $600k in 2014 in construction. You are saying that making $400k in ecommerce is going to be a slice of cake in a year. First of all, are you talking gross or profit? Secondly, either way it's not a piece of cake.

You are talking about grossing $33,000 a month in 2015 selling a product. If you import a product that sells for $100, you need to sell 330 of them a month, 11 a day, everyday. This is not easy with a $100 product. You can probably do this with a $20 product. The people you are following whos' threads you are reading know that it's not that easy. I'm not saying that you cannot do it, but you do have alot to learn and I'm not sure if your attitude towards it is a good thing or bad thing. You make alot of money, but don't think that all you need to do it toss money at it to get it to work.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
My issue with this thread... ok so you made let's say $600k in 2014 in construction. You are saying that making $400k in ecommerce is going to be a slice of cake in a year. First of all, are you talking gross or profit? Secondly, either way it's not a piece of cake.

You are talking about grossing $33,000 a month in 2015 selling a product. If you import a product that sells for $100, you need to sell 330 of them a month, 11 a day, everyday. This is not easy with a $100 product. You can probably do this with a $20 product. The people you are following whos' threads you are reading know that it's not that easy. I'm not saying that you cannot do it, but you do have alot to learn and I'm not sure if your attitude towards it is a good thing or bad thing. You make alot of money, but don't think that all you need to do it toss money at it to get it to work.

Appreciate your response. Kudos to you for your valuable information and also your success. 1M gross. I really don't anticipate it to be easy. I think it will be massively hard actually but very far from impossible or not achievable. I am just compartmentalizing every part of my day to try to peak my performance at importing. Right now I feel like I am doing as much as I can since I can not speed up my samples. The very most I can do is be a sponge, read as much as I can, and repeat all across the internet until I get my samples. I know I have a lot to learn. If I have to stay up an extra few hours a day and read and gain even more knowledge about every individual aspect of importing I will. I hope you never get into construction (lol) but if you said you wanted to do exactly what I do (it is very hard) I would say its definitely possible to do the $ amount I do in 2015. You might start slow but if you had all of the resources and knowledge then you could definitely make it happen. That is one thing I have figured out about business. There is always a right way and a wrong way. The best you can do is be fired up and soak up every last ounce of knowledge to get something done. I know 100% it will take a lot more brainpower and execution that just feeding the machine with money. Listen, thanks again for a little input!

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Dude you are like a school girl. I never said I was going to shut everyone up and I never said I own a Lamborghini and I also never said I live in Newport Beach.....LOL. I do however do mid 6 figures and I did say that. I own 3 LLC's with one being in ND. In North Dakota mid 6 figures is a drop in the bucket. People are just so used to making 30k a year they look at that like its an astronomical amount. Ask any successful person and mid 6 figures is far from an end goal and really not all that much....LOL so ease up. I said "will be stuck at the stoplight staring at our back to back Lamborghini convoy this year". That's definitely not past or present tense. No I DO NOT OWN A BUGATTI AND LIVE IN DUBAI and NO I will not take a picture of my SS card or give you my phone number to "end all doubt". Also...I had @Ubermensch 's back on multiple threads.

Listen, I really want to get back on track so MJ doesnt axe this thread. I will no longer have a response to negativity. Write me a PM and talk shit. I don't care.

I am pretty sure I will be updating at the end of every month. I want to update and let everyone know its attainable as I will eventually hit my goal in 2015 but I wont stoop. It is important to have all my focus on my businesses. Happy holidays and I will be updating the last day in Jan of my progress.

-KM

I live in Dubai.... working on that Bugatti though ;)

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Looks good @Kid Money - I especially like the fire pit. Apologies for saying you were full of shit earlier in this thread. It looks as though I was mistaken.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Still contacting suppliers. Thinking I can do pretty good with these couple samples. Also, here is some of my work in ND.

2i89esj.jpg

zmzf5j.jpg

2q1waah.jpg

121xxlt.jpg

9kxms0.png

eforgi.jpg

sxobpk.png

23h2hph.png

2qjetlf.jpg

106j12b.jpg

11jx2yo.jpg

34oeqrn.jpg

You work in Williston? That's where you can quadruple your revenue. Contractors out there charge $12 /ft for what I charged $4 /ft for in the twin cities. I want to start a company in Williston because you can't be in that town and not make money, but alas my wife put her foot down.

Good thread!

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
You make alot of money, but don't think that all you need to do it toss money at it to get it to work.

This, any industry requires specialized knowledge to some extent.

There is always a right way and a wrong way.

There is, my advice is reach out to the right people and build rapport with them. There is a whole lot of misinformation online and it's easy to get caught up doing things the wrong way, things move fast in this landscape. And like always, provide value and you'll get some in return.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
1M gross.

So many people on this forum always talk gross numbers. I never understood that. Grossing $1M is not an accomplishment really. This is not directed at you, but at all other threads talking about making money. Concentrate on the money that you can put in your pocket, not gross income. I could easily double my gross if I dropped my prices by 1/3, but why do double the work for the same profit?

I know I just said it was hard to gross $400k in ecommerce, but if you don't want to profit, grossing $400k is easy. All you do is find a product for $20 that sells for $60. You brand it well and market it well, but sell it for $25, way under your competition. You should be able to sell tons of them and gross $1M and end up making $10k or breakeven. If you can't do that, them you couldn't have sold your product for $60.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
So many people on this forum always talk gross numbers. I never understood that. Grossing $1M is not an accomplishment really.

I grossed over $1m last year with two businesses and I struggled financially, a lot worse than previous years when we did sub $1 mill. Turnover is totally meaningless unless there is more context.

The only real thing to remember is "Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, and cash is reality"

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Someone here, and I wish I remembered who, gave me advice that's working for me.

While I know it's more complicated than just this...Focusing on my customers and making sure my bank account(profit) is growing...I'm good.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
So many people on this forum always talk gross numbers. I never understood that. Grossing $1M is not an accomplishment really. This is not directed at you, but at all other threads talking about making money. Concentrate on the money that you can put in your pocket, not gross income. I could easily double my gross if I dropped my prices by 1/3, but why do double the work for the same profit?

I know I just said it was hard to gross $400k in ecommerce, but if you don't want to profit, grossing $400k is easy. All you do is find a product for $20 that sells for $60. You brand it well and market it well, but sell it for $25, way under your competition. You should be able to sell tons of them and gross $1M and end up making $10k or breakeven. If you can't do that, them you couldn't have sold your product for $60.

Oh now a million is easy. LOL I can understand where you are coming from but I'm not going to lie. I am pretty disappointed. Why would you take what I said and assume I just am going try and make a million dollars and not profit anything? Why wouldn't you assume i'm going to make a million with super high margins instead? People love to take the absolute worst case scenario when they want to lay it out for someone. This tells me that we look at a million $ differently. Of course ( and I feel like this is obvious ) when I do business I am trying to maximize my dollar. I strive to make as much profit and highest margins possible in business. I'm not looking to play the race to the bottom game. Just like my construction business I plan on providing a lot more value than just selling this or that for a buck. I am sticking to 1m gross. I want to keep it realistic, and to net profit 1m I would have to be set on multiple millions. Not going to lie, that is too high. If I can put away 250-500k this year in my pocket that I can build on and scale, then cool. I'm not going to argue that. Again thanks for your response. I appreciate it!

I grossed over $1m last year with two businesses and I struggled financially, a lot worse than previous years when we did sub $1 mill. Turnover is totally meaningless unless there is more context.

The only real thing to remember is "Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, and cash is reality"

I'm not going to lie. If you are doing a million dollars and struggling. You are doing something VERY VERY wrong. I have never heard of this. IMO one of two things are happening. You are kicking as at what you are doing but margins are nothing (which defeats the purpose of even having it) or spending habits/lifestyle you've accumulate. If all you are concerned about putting money in your pocket why not ditch that. Open up a few hot dog stands, do some car washes, and flip on craigslist. lol you could probably put 75k in your pocket that way in a year. Making a million $ and not profiting anything is absolutely crazy to me. Something is not right at that point to struggle. Appreciate your input.

Anyways, I'm going to ease up here a little and just keep diving into books. Gain as much knowledge as possible while all of my samples are on the way. It might be around the 1st of the year because of all of the holidays before I receive anything. Not sure. Anyways, cheer for now!

-KM

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Still contacting suppliers. Thinking I can do pretty good with these couple samples. Also, here is some of my work in ND.

I've never done concrete, but I live in Montana...I know a lot of guys who've wrecked their bodies doing concrete (FOAF apparently even died from the chemicals soaking into his sneakers). I also know a lot of guys who leave their families in Montana most of the year to work in Williston...it's a miserable way to live. I can see why you'd want to get out of that as fast as you can. Best of luck.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
What's your plan with the construction business @Kid Money - is it the kind of business that you can sell if your online store does okay? Or can you find someone you trust to run it and take a portion of the profits?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I appreciate your feedback. I do not like talking about ND especially when its in the back of my mind. I will say this- Hamburgers can fall out of the sky in ANY business or in any aspect of life for that matter. Like I said before on this thread, I have had a business that I sat in front of a computer screen literally all day before. It was a site that had a physical service to it. I failed miserably and ended up homeless and sleeping under my office desk for 6 weeks over xmas in a state that I didn't even reside in. Not because I was a loser out doing drugs and drinking like everyone else does at age 22, but because I was trying to get ahead. In my mind that validated it for me that it was ok to be homeless because I was chasing a DREAM of becoming a better human being. I do not care if I have to stare at a computer screen all day, be cooped up in a tiny box and locked in a room. Throw away the key, please. Force me to succeed. Go read Ecom Mans thread. He did over $150k in November and December alone and I am pretty sure he runs a small outfit.

I'm not doing anything differently than I would as if I was headed back to ND. It will not get rolling for another 4 months. I am going to hustle this like my life depends on it and I will make an assessment at that point. I do not care about April. Right NOW it is December 21, 2014. I will get lit up with calls and I already have jobs that are big that are for sure in April. I will gladly decline them if this business is running. The last time I checked this is the FASTLANE forum not the slowlane, sweat your a$$ off and destroy your body forum.

Here is the greatest factor as to why I am shifting. Listen very carefully. When I do a job ( I don't care how much I make, lets say 25k )....when that job is complete...I no longer even have a slight chance of making money off it again. Its done. I have to find another one. Complete opposite of passive. Once I lay all of the bricks and the house is complete, that's it. I have to find another brick house. With the internet, it will no doubt be hard but the odds of making it somewhat passive are 100x better and more feasible. Humans are humans and it doesn't matter if its construction or importing, it will always be hard to find that perfect worker.

These guys on here making a good one at importing are complete studs, but if they can do it I know its possible and I can too. Nobody had even knocked Mike Tyson to the mat before Buster Douglas kicked his a$$ and knocked him out. After that everyone started beating him. It was possible.

I have no kids or family. I'm young and risks are more minimal that I could bounce back from especially with my construction business in my pocket. I have nothing to lose. It's almost painfully obvious that I should just give it hell. What super successful person woke up every day normally, never stepped out of his comfort zone, took zero risks and did big things? Very few i'm sure. Its as simple as that. Hopefully I have addressed this enough to not have to keep explaining. I do appreciate your input though.
First off Congrats on the successful business you already have! 22 and out busting your butt making a life for yourself is absolutely amazing! Way to go!

I think the reason you got all the hate/unbelief in the first of the thread and even some now is the fact that you are looking to go from $0 to 1 million in a year. To be honest I don't think you will get a million in sales your first year. You might not even get that in your second or third year. You might be ten years in and still not at a million in sales, but I would bet money on you hitting it at some point in the future! It is a grind and hard work to build any business as you well know. Ecomerce has problems and difficulties just like your current business.

The best advice I can give you at this stage would be to always put customers first. Answer any and all questions in as quick a time as possible. (I normally answer questions within a minute or two of receiving them) Always go above and beyond the call of duty. (I have added birthday cards, personal notes, whatever the customer asked in packages.) Always take the blame even when it is the customer's fault. (Some people seriously can't type in their own address correctly! They then get mad at you that the item was returned to sender. I always take the blame and resend the item at my cost) Accept all the blame for damaged items, returns etc. (EBay and Amazon will force you to eat the return costs, damaged goods etc. so you might as well look good by accepting them on your own.)

I have no doubt you will be a success at this business or any other one you put your mind to. You are already a success at business at a young age and it will only get better. I am 26 and have nothing holding me down to one place or another. I can pick up and move anywhere I choose. The freedom that owning your own business provides is second to none! Go get you some!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.