The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Glad to help on anything training, nutrition and fitness related

Ask me anything!

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
Hello.

Training has been quite a passion and big part of my life.I have done bodybuilding, endurance, body weight training with many different training styles such as hiit, cardio, strength.Learned some nutritional facts ( started when my brother became diabetic 7 years ago ).

While there is a ton of information available everywhere i believe to have reached quite advanced levels of knowledge with many years of training.

Gained insights into areas which i do/have not seen covered even by the most seasonal professionals.I do not know everything, far from it, but i believe that teaching is also learning so i be glad to answer anything.

Training as with anything is science and art.Even with many years of working out there is still always something new to be learned and improved on.

Ask questions, even the most basic of the basics.I will try and add some more valuable information on top of your question which can be incorporated into your training/diet.Feel free to share your own experience as well( what has worked for you), if you can teach me/yourself anything that would be great.

As a wise man once said.

Don't take fitness advice from a fat man and finance advice from a poor man.
I however am fit and healthy and i wish everyone to be that way.

5 hours a week is enough to get to be (all year long) for the rest of your life. ↓ ↓ ↓
10704246_1532515380295742_2436089110036291834_o.jpg

10295290_1495650930648854_4673106302457092442_o.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014
Hey man, mirin' your results. Just a few questions;

1. What kind of split do you use?
2. What kind of rep ranges would you recommend?
3. What is your philosophy on diet; 6-8 meals traditional bodybuilding kind of thing, or more of an IIFYM (which mostly clean foods) approach without worrying too much about meal timing?

Thanks heaps!

Edit: I'm interested in bodybuilding, not necessarily competing but definitely building an aesthetic physique.

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
1. What kind of split do you use?

I do mix it up quite a bit.The body and muscles adopt fairly quick to anything.I know that this does not sound professional, but try to feel how soar your muscle group muscles are, if chest and arm region feel like in need of recovery than do abs, back,legs.

2. What kind of rep ranges would you recommend?

I recommend 10-15 reps between sets.Sometimes the goal has been 15, but actually ended up to be 25 (should of added more weight) un-expected energy left overs.
Usually i have been aiming 2-3 sets with 10-15 reps for the majority of muscle groups.

I think one should go to failure.Till no more can be done.

3. What is your philosophy on diet; 6-8 meals traditional bodybuilding kind of thing, or more of an IIFYM (which mostly clean foods) approach without worrying too much about meal timing?

I think that 200-400 calorie meals are excellent and very effective.This way one can have perfect control over the amount of food and calories consumed.Which means that you will be able to know whether you are dropping fat or not at the end of the day/night.

Another benefit of course is the way how it affects metabolism.At first the body will, if not already incorporated and a daily habit will actually burn more energy (calories) with the same amount of food devoured.

Say you eat 4 big macs a day over two meals.The body will burn estimate 2200 kcal.
Say you eat 4big macs in 6 meals.The body will burn estimate 2400kcal.

This may even out with time as the body is adopting.

I do eat 2-3 meals a day, cause 6 meals may be time consuming , but this is a good question and when in need to go further is something to look into.

Thank you for the questions.

Right now my head all fuzzy and kind of crashing, not quite used to writing a lot.Will edit and add information to these questions.I'm sure a clear fresh mind is capable of giving much better answers and examples.Gonna take a walk and get some fresh air.

I really want to give out gold here which is not seen anywhere else.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
your thoughts on the following are appreciated..

Intermittent fasting?

Eat only when hungry?

A Calorie is a calorie?

Actual protein needed per lbm for a natural?

Does training style actually matter?

Empty stomach cardio?

big thanks for this thread

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
Thank you for the questions.
Possibly lots of typos, will take a look later.

Intermittent fasting?

Do you mean fasting with 0 calories as only water, or juiced and with still some fats, carbohydrates and protein.
It sure is an experience and well known for it's cleaning and healing qualities.Personally i absolutely love it, some people are afraid to do it because of muscle loss, however from my experience there is no real muscle loss even with a week without nutrition.

In some sense it may actually re-design and accelerate future muscle growth as the body system is recovering from chaos and confusion to get even stronger and resistant than before.

My last fast was 105 hours water only ( about 4 days ) .In this time frame one may experience very fast fat loss.In some cases it has been 19 pounds in 5 - 10 days(mostly water of course) and you can expect to take back 19 pounds back and/or more back in the same time frame .I think fasting is great and should be done once or twice a year.

Here is a before and after fasting picture done this winter right after 70 hour water fast (experimental).It looks dry and shubby, no real muscle definition although really low body fat percentage.A decent meal with enough carbs will very quickly, just in the matter of hours change the whole appearance to muscular and puffed.

The second picture comparison has considerably more muscle definition.It is 1-2 weeks after the before picture and fasting.
erm.jpg

Eat only when hungry?

I think it is a good habit to eat even when not hungry.You have to eat the right foods ( you possibly already are eating 80%+ of the right foods ) but gotta upgrade a little and remove some flaws.You also want to be properly hydrated to suppress the most common cause of over eating

I do not want to be strict on diet.You don't ever, ever have to be hungry.Although i do have the occasional bag of chips and chocolate ( the two most common from the possibly worst foods ) Chocolate, because it has lots of sugar and chips because it has no protein.Both high in calories with only fats and carbs.

Sugar is basically instant fat, which is seen in coca cola products and all soda drinks.I do have one strict rule indeed about my diet and this is to never drink anything with sugar -been over 3 years .I do also not consume alcohol much as drinks with sugar and alcohol are really big enemies with lack of nutrition or bad nutrition.

A Calorie is a calorie?

Yes and no.

The body is using anything it can to produce energy for vital organs.Even going as far as to cannibalize itself when there is a lack of something, if there is not enough protein in your calories it will take it from your muscles.Fats, carbs and protein from calories all serve a vital role.

Much debated topic about various diets in between all of those components on daily quantity consumption.I do favor my diet always with a lot of protein and fats while decreasing carbs.A ton to experimenting here.Expecting different bodies to act differently.

Actual protein needed per lbm for a natural?

A quick google said .36 grams per pound of body weight .

I do think that when muscles are under in a lot of stress and pressure from training that it may require more protein.
It does not hurt to over consume on protein as excess protein will break down to fats.Better over consume than to have a lack of it.

Does training style actually matter?

Very much so.It is huge and greatly under estimated.
Anything from the muscle activity to the intensity.
From low heart rate to fast heart rate

Empty stomach cardio?

I used to do it a lot without even being aware of it.
Woke up in the morning to go for a 30-90 minute run (many years ago)

Now i do prefer to have a quick snack of carbs.You can take a bar of chocolate,like 50g or a bit of cake or fruits.Anything that is being quickly digested.
My only excuse for eating a bit chocolate is a cardio session or hiit warm-up.

You do not really need much as the warm up will always gradually increase the heart rate to reach it's maximum natural potential over time.

Empty stomach is generally better because the food digestion may hurt your progress.It does not have to be empty but you do not want have your stomach using up energy while digesting food doing cardio.

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Have experience with AAS? If so; I have a couple of questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Is 'lean bulking' (relatively) possible? If so, how would you go about it. it's fine if you don't want to write a Tl;Dr, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

RichyV

Death Is Winning. Do Something.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to try and help people out, but your answers have given me a few concerns:

think that 200-400 calorie meals are excellent and very effective.This way one can have perfect control over the amount of food and calories consumed.Which means that you will be able to know whether you are dropping fat or not at the end of the day/night.

Another benefit of course is the way how it affects metabolism.At first the body will, if not already incorporated and a daily habit will actually burn more energy (calories) with the same amount of food devoured.

Say you eat 4 big macs a day over two meals.The body will burn estimate 2200 kcal.
Say you eat 4big macs in 6 meals.The body will burn estimate 2400kcal.

How would eating 200-400 calorie meals give you any more control than say 1000 calorie meals? Surely 2x 1000 calorie meals to hit 2000cals is far simpler than 5 x 400 calorie meals?

Also, can you provide evidence for that second statement?
Read these articles for evidence based counterarguments http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Meal Frequency?updated-max=2011-04-04T15:32:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=3&by-date=false

In some sense it may actually re-design and accelerate future muscle growth as the body system is recovering from chaos and confusion to get even stronger and resistant than before.
Evidence?

Sugar is basically instant fat
It's a carbohydrate, but yes it will lead to fat gain if surplus calories are present.

A quick google said .36 grams per pound of body weight .
0.36/lb bw is not enough for someone who is weight training and looking to build muscle mass, 1g/lb bw is more reaslistic. Read this for a better understanding.http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-protein-book/

excess protein will break down to fats
No.

I'm sorry, I know you mean well, but a lot of this information falls into the "bro-science" category and can be destructive towards people's goals and understanding.

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
How would eating 200-400 calorie meals give you any more control than say 1000 calorie meals? Surely 2x 1000 calorie meals to hit 2000cals is far simpler than 5 x 400 calorie meals?

Simpler it is true.
Eating smaller meals in one aspect means more control because it can leave room to optimize throughout the day.Sometimes you can burn more than your TARGET 2000 (+-)cal and sometimes you burn less.

At the end of the day 400 cal(one snack or one small meal) can mean the difference between having lost or gained fat/muscle.One can kind of look at it like giving daily compound interest.As long as even the smallest progress has been made it will eventually stack up to be really high.

With larger meals i have found it to be harder to predict and feel what/how the body is doing at the end of the day before going to sleep and waking up in the morning to repeat the cycle.

Also, can you provide evidence for that second statement?

This a field on where metabolism is challenged to go out of it's norms, adopt and take new action.

Suppose you have been eating 2000 calories for 2 years straight and now you move from 2000 to 1800 to stay that way.Fat loss will in incur to be slowed down each day, each week to find it's proper norm on the new found daily energy in-take and stay consistent without further fat loss.

I see this as an absolute art.

The manipulation of how the body is handling different scenarios with different foods,amounts of foods and training.

Now i see that Martin Berkhan in the article is one of many nutritional experts.
I do value that information and take it all into account.I think he has made good points and knows what he is talking about.

0.36/lb bw is not enough for someone who is weight training and looking to build muscle mass, 1g/lb bw is more reaslistic. Read this for a better understanding.http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-protein-book/

You are right.Next time will take a closer look at the numbers

No.

I'm sorry, I know you mean well, but a lot of this information falls into the "bro-science" category and can be destructive towards people's goals and understanding.I appreciate you taking the time to try and help people out, but your answers have given me a few concerns:

Is it not motivating that one can make so many mistakes and yet still end up to be where he want's to.

I do want people to make small changes where they can take just little steps towards the goal in sight, which will have a massive impact and instantly reverse the process from gaining to losing fat.

Here is the thing.Most people are always at the same levels of weight.One small change will instantly reverse that.

Like drinking 2 more glasses of water a day, skipping a bottle of coca-cola or beer...
Eating one more piece of meat, maybe taking a 30 minute walk.

Besides this.
Training and proper food does more than just shape your body.It has massive benefits to the mind and over all well-being.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Intermittent fasting?

Eat only when hungry?

Ill give my 2 cents/experiences here

I practice eat stop eat which is basically a 24 hr fast in between meals and I do say its an amazing way of either staying lean or bulking.

I eat one small post work out usually two shakes then a gigantic second meal of anything from full on paleo to plain crap (IIFYM) because somedays I just dont have the appetite to eat 3k+ worth of calories in meats and veg so I throw in some stuff like high cal sauces/dressings , cheesecake icecream or something calorie dense to fill in the remaining calories.

With that said I have no problems getting or maintaining beach body lean levels of body fat. The whole 6 meals a day or even 3 meals a day I have "personally" found is unnecessary in my daily routine , the usual explanation for spacing out your meals so much is that it keeps the "metabolic fire" going think feeding coal to a steam engine on a train and also prevents binge eating by having meals at regular intervals up until your bedtime , but honestly speaking my worst binges have been on that type of diet , I mean eating all sweets in the house then driving to kfc and wolf down an entire bucket then maybe rolling by some icecream place.

What I realised is that because the calories are divided by the amount of meals usually 6 there is almost no room to add sauces or even use some tasty methods of preparing food like frying , sauteing in butter or adding in junk unless you have a day for that.

There was a time I did the eat only when hungry but I like eat stop eat protocol because I usually have to cook only one time a day and I can gorge myself to my pleasure and not go over my calories of the day.

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
Is 'lean bulking' (relatively) possible? If so, how would you go about it. it's fine if you don't want to write a Tl;Dr, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

If i was to point you in the right direction i would recommend you to join other people and groups sharing the same goal.As to a mentor on youtube or a community like bodybuilding.com.You already are in the right direction just by taking the time to have replied and read this topic.

Lean bulking i would say is staying something like 200-600 calories in surplus

Right now i do not recall what AAS stands for.

Hey man, what are your thoughts on creatine when bulking? Also do you use myfitnesspal?

Cheers.

Personally i have not used creatine.My friends have and as much as i have heard there has not been much positive feedback.The progress is there while it is being consumed but/and once dropped it will return to back the beginnig.I do not know much about creatine.

I have heard good things about steroids for building muscle mass if this is your goal.

Also do you use myfitnesspal?

Over the years i have almost got to know about every basic daily food and how many calories of what they have in it.Automated process counting calories (not really counting ).

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
If i was to point you in the right direction i would recommend you to join other people and groups sharing the same goal.As to a mentor on youtube or a community like bodybuilding.com.You already are in the right direction just by taking the time to have replied and read this topic.

Lean bulking i would say is staying something like 200-600 calories in surplus

Right now i do not recall what AAS stands for.

Personally i have not used creatine.My friends have and as much as i have heard there has not been much positive feedback.The progress is there while it is being consumed but/and once dropped it will return to back the begging.I do not know much about creatine.

I have heard good things about steroids for building muscle mass if this is your goal.

Also do you use myfitnesspal?

Over the years i have almost got to know about every basic daily food and how many calories of what they have in it.Automated process counting calories (not really counting ).
Juice.

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Are you a miscer?:troll:

Lol that place was the shit back in the day

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
Are you a miscer?:troll:

Lol that place was the shit back in the day

I did find the content and people amusing there.However i would rather invest myself here .Success driven, many winners here and i want to win to.:playful:

Last edited:

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
Glad to see another fellow countryman on here. Looking solid, I used to lift seriously for years as well, then had a small break and now starting out again (time to put muscle memory to the test). You can find my progress pic here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/motivational-pictures.53027/#post-374842

I do disagree with some of your points, but @RichyV already pointed them out. And yeah, www.leangains.com is a great resource when it comes to lifting and dieting advice. No bullshit and everything is backed by studies and his experiences, can't recommend his page enough

I might be able to help. PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
Glad to see another fellow countryman on here. Looking solid, I used to lift seriously for years as well, then had a small break and now starting out again (time to put muscle memory to the test). You can find my progress pic here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/motivational-pictures.53027/#post-374842

I do disagree with some of your points, but @RichyV already pointed them out. And yeah, www.leangains.com is a great resource when it comes to lifting and dieting advice. No bullshit and everything is backed by studies and his experiences, can't recommend his page enough

I might be able to help. PM

Oh i was like what country fellow man and than saw the Estonia.What a small world that is, also a small country :D.I do live both in viljandi and tartu.
Glad you taking up training again.The benefits are endless.One thing is looking shredded, but another is also having a healthy mind with a healthy body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
What's your opinion on roids?
Are you using them (or used to in the past)?

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
Oh i was like what country fellow man and than saw the Estonia.What a small world that is, also a small country :D.I do live both in viljandi and tartu.
Glad you taking up training again.The benefits are endless.One thing is looking shredded, but another is also having a healthy mind with a healthy body.
Haha yeah, a fair amount of Estonians on Misc, but you're the first one I've seen here. I'm from the capital myself.
Absolutely, you have no idea how much I missed lifting. Kinda becomes part of you after a while, y'know? There's no drug out there that replicates the feeling when you've just finished your workout knowing you've killed it and can look in the mirror satisfied with the way you look.
Keep lifting hard and stick around, tons to be learned here and the people here are nothing like in the normal world

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Grand-daddy of problems....Rotator cuff issues. Went down on a motorcycle in a tshirt, ripped it and didn't go for physio to fix it.
Back in the gym, Plateauing at 225 bench because don't want to injure.
You ever had that issue?

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'd be happy to take advice from you or anyone else experienced with fitness on my new lifestyle change.

Having recently returned to school, I now have unlimited access to a full gym. As a result, I've started dieting and exercising. It's been over a decade since I've worked out, so I'm basically starting from scratch as far as knowledge goes.

I've been at it for a little over two weeks now. I started at 188 lbs and began using the MyFitnessPal app/website to track my calories and workouts.

My current routine consists of an hour of cardio and light upper-body strength training via free weights and machines. The goal is to look good naked (hey, it's the truth) and have more energy overall. I'd like to drop to about 170ish and build tone and muscle.

Combined with the app, the new routing looks something like this:

5x Week:
2030 calorie limit
60 minutes cardio (Usually via Elliptical or Cycling, no treadmill as I gave myself shin splits doing too much too soon.)
3x10 Machine Flyes
3x10 Machine Incline Press
3x10 Curls
3x10 Machine triceps via those machines you use to pull weight down with a bar or rope

Even though I know machine calorie counters aren't terribly accurate, I'm coming in about 1500-1800 calories net average per day (this is after burning between 500-800 per cardio session). The first week my body went into shock and dropped 4lbs, the second week showed no weight loss, but I'm not really concerned.

Can you (or anyone) evaluate this regimen in conjunction with what I'm trying to achieve and offer any feedback or advice? Thanks!

DClaiborne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Feb 14, 2014
Houston, TX
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'd be happy to take advice from you or anyone else experienced with fitness on my new lifestyle change.

Having recently returned to school, I now have unlimited access to a full gym. As a result, I've started dieting and exercising. It's been over a decade since I've worked out, so I'm basically starting from scratch as far as knowledge goes.

I've been at it for a little over two weeks now. I started at 188 lbs and began using the MyFitnessPal app/website to track my calories and workouts.

My current routine consists of an hour of cardio and light upper-body strength training via free weights and machines. The goal is to look good naked (hey, it's the truth) and have more energy overall. I'd like to drop to about 170ish and build tone and muscle.

Combined with the app, the new routing looks something like this:

5x Week:
2030 calorie limit
60 minutes cardio (Usually via Elliptical or Cycling, no treadmill as I gave myself shin splits doing too much too soon.)
3x10 Machine Flyes
3x10 Machine Incline Press
3x10 Curls
3x10 Machine triceps via those machines you use to pull weight down with a bar or rope

Even though I know machine calorie counters aren't terribly accurate, I'm coming in about 1500-1800 calories net average per day (this is after burning between 500-800 per cardio session). The first week my body went into shock and dropped 4lbs, the second week showed no weight loss, but I'm not really concerned.

Can you (or anyone) evaluate this regimen in conjunction with what I'm trying to achieve and offer any feedback or advice? Thanks!

I'll jump in since I've owned a gym for the past 5 years, trained hundreds of people in person and online, tried every training program and nutrition program under the sun, and transformed the way I personally look over the past 12 years.

You need more calories. Somewhere around the 2250-2500 mark with a good majority of that being protein (175g+). Then the rest coming from quality fats and carbs.

You also need to lift more and cut down the cardio/kick up the intensity a notch.

Go experiment with some free weights and do some leg exercises even if it's something as simple as lunges.

Here is my personal transformation from 2003 to 2008 where I went from 160 - 230.

dc-before-n-after.png

and what I currently look like around 208lb.

02B80E81-AEB4-441E-8FF5-EAA1C2D11E3E_zpsbk2lrtvq.jpg

66B21FD4-2C41-4F73-A35E-A95DBB8D98A7_zpseid33x5f.jpg

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
You need more calories. Somewhere around the 2250-2500 mark with a good majority of that being protein (175g+). Then the rest coming from quality fats and carbs.

Really? I'm actually eating more meals/day now than before. It's just that I'm watching portion sizes and eating more quality food. Instead of skipping breakfast and lunch every day and then eating a 4-6 pieces of a supreme pizza and some chicken wings at dinner, followed by snacking up until bed time, I've been doing around 4-5 smaller meals every day. Lots of salads, veggies, protein and carbs. I don't think I can eat anymore than I am, it'd be too much. Should I be seeking out higher calorie food? If so, why?

You also need to lift more and cut down the cardio/kick up the intensity a notch.

I like the cardio because it allows me to be able to eat more calories. Is there any reason to cut it down besides losing a bit of muscle? Can you be more specific in what you would recommend to increase my strength training? Any specific exercises/machines (I like machines because they allow a newbie like me to have good form)? What type of weekly regime would you suggest based on the goals I stated?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions, I'm still learning nutrition and exercising as I go. Thanks for your time!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I like machines because they allow a newbie like me to have good form
Its the opposite. Machines mess up your form because its not a natural movement. Learn proper bench, military press, deadlift and squats. Thats basically all you need. Most of the rest is just F*ckarounditis (see http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/F*ckarounditis.html)

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I like the cardio because it allows me to be able to eat more calories. Is there any reason to cut it down besides losing a bit of muscle? Can you be more specific in what you would recommend to increase my strength training? Any specific exercises/machines (I like machines because they allow a newbie like me to have good form)? What type of weekly regime would you suggest based on the goals I stated?

I dont do much cardio anymore outside of tire flips , the occasional hammer and tire because DIET is KING when getting bigger , cutting fat and its easier than cardio.
Some times I do swim because the beach is a walking distance but its getting cold at this time of the year.

If you want strength cut cardio and kick up the intensity following something like mark Riptoe's Starting Strength and direct your intensity in the lifts instead of cardio.

Stay away from most machines like the ones used for pressing although cables are OK for accessory work but dont get crazy with them your focus should be on building a base of strength in the compound lifts that will skyrocket your hypertrophy (size) gains later on.

If you wanna eat kinda junky since you have a small stomach (gorge yourself and stretch that stomach) then yea follow something like lean gains or eat stop eat with a powerlifting regimen like Starting Strength with some accessory work then from there on you can try other programs or will have enough experience to build your own.

Grand-daddy of problems....Rotator cuff issues. Went down on a motorcycle in a tshirt, ripped it and didn't go for physio to fix it.
You ever had that issue?

I had shoulder issues as well and I recommend you give this a try and be extremely careful/gentle because the joint and surrounding stabilizer muscles are very weak until you build them up.

Again I cannot stress enough on being careful and easing into it.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
First, a bit of background information:
I've been working out for a while, and I've done martial arts pretty much my entire life.
I'm incredibly strong ( I can lift and carry a person over twice my weight.)
I have very high testosterone, which from what I understood builds muscle mass.
For the past month I've upped my calorie intake, so I eat around 3000 calories per day>
Yet I can't gain any weight. Actually, I've lost weight.

So I have two questions:
1) what would you recommend to build muscle mass?
2) Can I gain bulk from bodyweight exercises? I've heard conflicting views on this, but I would like to hear yours.

S&P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 11, 2013
You ever had that issue?

Tough one.

Definitely include a dynamic warmup shoulder mobility routine pre workout for the first 8-15 minutes before training upper body

Train in the 30-50% 1RM range with your pressing movements. increase repetitions and focus on the squeeze. Take a neutral grip wherever possible for pressing movement (dumbell shoulder press etc)

Fix your posture as much as possible. Bring your Scapula back into alignment. <--- consult a physio who actually works with top athletes and has a track record of success for this/ART practioner (same background checks)

Monitor the injury as the weeks go on and see if there's an improvement.

Good luck

(There's always a solution, I know of bodybuilders who took PRP injection treatment to heal their rotator cuff injuries)

Try healing it yourself first. ART manipulation with a skilled practitoner will help immensely along with the other steps.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.