The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking For A Mentor (16 Yearold With Skills)

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Hey,

Before you exit this thread as I'm only 16 years old, why don't you stay for a little while to hear what I have to say? Now, I know what you're thinking another 16 yearold with no prior skills looking for someone to spoon feed him the answers and that's NOT what I am. I've spent the past 5 years learning about social media markeitng, copywriting, SEO and managing websites.

I've owned a failed 20-30 websites in my time, sure each one of them failed except for a few in which I sold for decent sums of money but I walked away from each of those failures learning a lesson. Don't do this the next time, don't do that.

As far as my social media experience goes my main area is Instagram and Facebook many people seem to not realize the potential in Instagram but it's a sales powerhouse. I've hopped on that opportunity and have come up with formulas that allow me to get 500-1,000 targeted followers a week on nearly any account starting from 0 followers.

My SEO and copywriting skills aren't the best but I do know HTML and CSS pretty well but it's not to the point that I'd like it to be at.

What I'm looking for is a mentor, someone who needs help with social media and can teach me some stuff along the way, I'm looking to become an employee of your business, I can prove that I'm able to hold my own and pull my own weight but the main thing I'm looking for is someone to show me more about business management and entrepreneurship. If you just give me 5 minutes talking to you I can show and tell you why chances are your current social media plan isn't up to par with what I can provide.

Thanks,
Tyler

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
You should probably mention what field or fast-lane avenue you'd like to be mentored in. It's not usually as simple as being willing to do anything. A mentor is not like a teacher in school. A teacher tells you what you must learn and holds your hand if you fall behind to make sure you get it. A mentor is more like directed self study, so you've gotta have a clear idea of what you want to do and some notion of how you'll get there.

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
You should probably mention what field or fast-lane avenue you'd like to be mentored in. It's not usually as simple as being willing to do anything. A mentor is not like a teacher in school. A teacher tells you what you must learn and holds your hand if you fall behind to make sure you get it. A mentor is more like directed self study, so you've gotta have a clear idea of what you want to do and some notion of how you'll get there.

I mean, possible eCommerce? Online services, websites doesn't really matter to me. I'm interested in all aspects of business. I'd like to learn anything along those lines.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
This whole forum has tons to offer to you. Read all of the GOLD. That should spark several specific questions. From there you can look up those specific questions and most likely find all the answers.

People don't realize that there are people on this forum who are unbelievable accomplished and they have spelled out many processes in this forum already. They have thousands of posts each, literally. You can learn from them and you don't owe anything in return. It's free.

There are several meetups, Facebook pages, Skype groups, etc where you can meet and speak to tons of people directly. The mentors are already here to help you. All you have to do is look. Whether it's face-to-face or on this forum shouldn't matter much to you. It's all the same quality information. Absorb it up, do the work, ask the right questions, and you'll be just fine.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
If you're "interested in all aspects of business," you need to lurk more before you look for a mentor to narrow your foucus. Read gold threads. If you haven't gotten a copy of TMF , read that, read RDPD, read Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich, read Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence people. 4HWW is a mixed bag, but it might be worth it too, just avoid the information that looks less like financial freedom and more like living off roadkill to be free. All these books will be in your library system. You just saved $40, walk down there and get them. Attempt to monetize your current skills. Get some ideas. Get set up and act on one of them. Act until it hurts, you didn't really fail until you flushed some serious money down the crapper. Thankfully, for you, serious money might be $1,000 or less since you're in HS.

Lots of us would give the world to be 16 and starting this journey, but it only counts if you actually start. Posting to TMF and making $500/yr on the side doing SEO between rounds of Destiny isn't going to make you any better off for this early start. Start doing this stuff and report back, you'll probably have more interest after you do.

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
If you're "interested in all aspects of business," you need to lurk more before you look for a mentor to narrow your foucus. Read gold threads. If you haven't gotten a copy of TMF , read that, read RDPD, read Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich, read Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence people. 4HWW is a mixed bag, but it might be worth it too, just avoid the information that looks less like financial freedom and more like living off roadkill to be free. All these books will be in your library system. You just saved $40, walk down there and get them. Attempt to monetize your current skills. Get some ideas. Get set up and act on one of them. Act until it hurts, you didn't really fail until you flushed some serious money down the crapper. Thankfully, for you, serious money might be $1,000 or less since you're in HS.

Lots of us would give the world to be 16 and starting this journey, but it only counts if you actually start. Posting to TMF and making $500/yr on the side doing SEO between rounds of Destiny isn't going to make you any better off for this early start. Start doing this stuff and report back, you'll probably have more interest after you do.

Haha, the last part is true to some point. I'm defiantly looking at doing some journeys. I've been laser targeting Instagram and am very confident with my skills on there platform. I'm going to start making niche accounts and build up a network.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Some very great responses, and good thread op
I was expecting for it to be someone who just joined with 0 prior experience

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Looks like you're doing the right thing. The best way I know of to get the attention of people I want to talk to is to show them something I've built and go to them asking for specific advice. Here's an example email Iv'e sent:

Hi ***,

My name is (your name here). You don't know who I am and this is completely left-field, but I'm the founder of Company Name) and am a big fan of (Their company or personal name)

d_soM0dKSw5LjtLcR-S8IBggg9XbwQPHtvGgZ_Kh6DvEDX4LdTNzMVvrYWX-Ki_2jkymTzckap7-ZxcMzZaS0snCyP_2nZDzyRwpFFSADKWW5esgcgbERi7wKP-FxABqs5cKUeDtbWIVwIxBDrmHoM5waGRKtFnDT67iy0It4NY7VA=s0-d-e1-ft
I’m doing my best to grow my startup into a profitable company. Iv’e tried (List things you have tried to show them you're putting in the work and not just asking lazily for advice)

I have great respect for you and I understand if you're too busy to respond but it would really mean the world to me if you could help me with these two questions:

1. Question you want answered

2. Advice on the things you have already tried

Even if you respond with a sentence or two, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dave

It hasn't failed me in the past. You're showing this person that you've already built something, you're serious about it, and that you have a specific question. If you go to them with "Can I get some advice on this idea I have?", you're probably going to have a hard time getting a response from them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.