The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get strangers to give you change (if needed)

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I hate banks...
That aside, it came to me how to ask for spare change, for whenever in need.

You just ask "do you have a dollar", they will say "what? why?" and you just say whatever you want, they'll shrug and give it to you :p

I know, I know, sounds super lame, but I was waiting on a payment to pass and thought to myself "oh cr#p, I might need a few dollars tomorrow" for a subway ticket etc. Anyways, I experienced relief when my mind just replied "just run into someone and ask if they have it". Its sales 101 really, qualify the customer, ask them their opinion, listen, and then lead.

"I have to catch a subway but I ran outta change :p, do you have x"
I know its cheesy, but I'm sure it might help someone at some point.
Just ask them IF they have it, and assume they'll give it to you to help out. I'd help out someone that did that in a relaxed way.

Don't plead xD, thats begging :p

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WoofurrBro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Feb 18, 2014
Latvia
Seems like a great idea.
You could also ask for a phone number right after, give them something you know and make friends ez. That way you don't feel like shit for asking for cash just like that.
I've always believed that we should help each other out and if you find someone who does, you have to wait until they need it back.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Every single time I go to a store in the town next to me, there's this guy that always asks for exactly 35 cents, every time, no fail.

And then there are this couple, that every time I go to the gas station..........

Come to think of it, there are a lot of people asking for money around here. I'm going to hire them to raise capital for me!!!!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
This isn't sales, this is begging. Seriously, your are a ton smarter than that RI. You've grown a lot over the last few months. This is something I would of expected from you 6 months ago.

What could you have done to make money on the spot? Next time flex your entrepreneur muscle. There are opportunities in the subway.

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Back in the UK they sit besides the ATM machine and ask you if you have any spare change, just as you are pulling your money away from the machine.

Always made me feel guilty and give them something until one day I saw a group of them being organized as to what banks they were going to sit at and the rotation around the town...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I hate banks...
That aside, it came to me how to ask for spare change, for whenever in need.

You just ask "do you have a dollar", they will say "what? why?" and you just say whatever you want, they'll shrug and give it to you :p

I know, I know, sounds super lame, but I was waiting on a payment to pass and thought to myself "oh cr#p, I might need a few dollars tomorrow" for a subway ticket etc. Anyways, I experienced relief when my mind just replied "just run into someone and ask if they have it". Its sales 101 really, qualify the customer, ask them their opinion, listen, and then lead.

I know its cheesy, but I'm sure it might help someone at some point.
Just ask them IF they have it, and assume they'll give it to you to help out. I'd help out someone that did that in a relaxed way.

Don't plead xD, thats begging :p

You. You are the problem. This is the reason people that really need it don't get helped.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Mike and Vig,
You are right of course, at the point in development I am at, someone should slap me if I did that. But I was not suggesting that I would do it (the subway thing was what caused the thought). I am just willing to talk about it for anyone interested, because it seems a common fear. And the way I was trying to open that conversation was by infering that I am not above it.

Let us remember that some billionaires were once homeless, and that every person that succeeds has hit rock bottom at some point(which pulls you towards those fears).

I think it is important to not turn a blind eye to the misfortunate, I am actually willing to dedicate time in this thread to TRULY talking about the misfortunes of others, the homeless, desperate times, and all that stuff if ANYONE wants to.

I have enough means, but as I have more means both mentally and in terms of assets the more time I have to think about misfortune and take an indepth look at it before I go on my way to greater wealth etc.

There were points in time when it was hard enough for me that I starved for a few days and it wasn't cool, wasn't really my fault either, I got blindsided and my mind was fully tasked.
I know that those in sidewalker mentalities do freak out at times, and sometimes just knowing you have an option open to you, can give you the strength to take the higher road.

I don't think that shaming anyone for not being in a position mentally or financially is the right thing, so to show some support for some harder done by folk, I offered a simple thought and I am not doing so as a one off, if people really need any of my mental faculties to help them sort through that time, I'll do what I can to help.

Now all you need to do is talk to a million people :)

Of course I don't expect anyone to take it up as a profession ;)
I tell you what though, sometimes a dollar holds the ship afloat during tough times at the bottom.

This isn't sales

I wasn't suggesting that asking for a dollar is good sales btw, I was saying that getting information from a person, creating rapport, and giving them a totally hands off experience before taking the next step is basic sales.

Example: "Hi there, can I help you, what are you looking for today? We have red wine, white wine, flowers? Is it for your girlfriend, wife?"

You get information first and it creates comfort and gives you an idea of where to go.

I think my point was not made clear, but basically, I now believe that if you can ask for a dollar you can ask for 50 dollars and give them a product or service in return. I believe that when you get down to the bones of it, you shouldn't see "begging" as a way out, you should see sales as sales and you should look for opportunities that are in range FOR YOU.

Most won't ever beg (I won't) but like I said, even some future billionaires have been there.
So I don't think it is THAT easy to dismiss.
But of course I agree with the points you guys brought up.
- You shouldn't do it if not in need
- Always be as confident as you can be in your situation

Like I said, its not about this being some "easy way out", I actually think asking for money more than a few times would be a super bad deal for yourself.

Sorry for rambling. I just posted it to support people, and talk about the issues, and if there are any misleading or weird things in the post that I overlooked, then hey, I'm glad you guys are around to pick up that slack.

Btw, thanks for the vote of confidence Mike, I really appreciate it.
And Vig, I appreciate that it perked your interest, I hope I'm not being too much of a jerk by posting it (maybe it ridicules something?) any offence is unintentional (if you are really passionate about the homeless I'm willing to talk about that and take it that direction if you like, as I am pretty passionate about helping them out where I can too).

For anyone interested, I do have some views on the homeless. And some stories x)
Like one time I was walking to a friends house, past a shop front, and I saw this guy there so went into the store and bought him tons of lavish stuff, and came out and gave him the bag and kept walking.
Sometimes its just nice to help out.

Last edited:

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I personally thought this was posted more in a whimsical type fashion, not as a suggestion for a means of income...hence my fundraising pun.

Although misfortunate, many homeless either put themselves in that situation or we're never afforded the opportunity or knowledge necessary to avoid it.

Do I feel bad that they're there? Sure I do, and the ones with a legitimate sounding story get my dollar bill. But the ones that I know are trying to make a career of it are promptly ignored.

Understanding that there are people who will receive food stamps that aren't actually in need, and realizing that if there is one, there may be many, sort of puts some of the a large number of legitimately misfortunate people in a negative light. It's terrible but it's true.

Damn, now I talked myself in to buying a bunch of TMF copies to keep in my trunk and hand to the homeless guys when they ask for a dollar lol.

EDIT: Wow, I went all over the place with that one *wipes sweat from brow*

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Let us remember that some billionaires were once homeless, and that every person that succeeds has hit rock bottom at some point(which pulls you towards those fears).
I was homeless when I was younger. Staying in shelters isn't fun. Not eating for days isn't fun. Sleeping in a compact car wasn't fun. It's not fun at all.

To go further, watching your mother struggle to keep electricity on in the winter, keep food in the house and make sure us kids succeed and in turn not care.

I watched her go start a business with nothing more than business cards. She went from nothing to just under 5 figures a month. Then stall out because she couldn't stay healthy, losing 75% of her customers. That decimated her.

The people who've gone from homeless to billionaires are outliers.
Most people die homeless.

Even though I can survive in the wild, by myself, my biggest fear is being homeless again. It is a traumatic experience. I will do just about anything to never be there again.

When you beg for money people look down upon you. You've done nothing but put them in an uncomfortable situation. They don't want to say no. Everyone is inherently good. Saying no basically puts them lower than dirt in their minds. They can't help 1 person.

Offer to do something for someone.

I would look for a married man and chat him up. Then I would make an offer to pick flowers up for him and deliver them to his wife before he got there for train fare. It may not work but it's worth trying.

One thing I did in high school was go into the library during lunch and shoulder surf people sitting on the computers. When they were doing programming I would offer either to A: Tutor them for a fee or B: Do the work for them at a flat rate - $25 a program. Even though all I did was put a flash drive in the computer and copy my code over.

This is what I would do to eat lunch for the week. In hindsight, I could of charged less and sold more...

Please note:
I'm not saying any of this to punish or argue with you. Punishing and arguing does not work in persuasion. In turn punishing and arguing does not work in sales.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
There is a crackhead in my neighborhood who always begs anyone and everyone for a dollar. The first time he asked me for a dollar, I only had $5 to my name. I was walking into the corner store to buy a loaf of bread when he approached me

Tony The Crackhead: "Sir, could you spare a buck?"

Me: "For what?"

Tony The Crackhead: "So I can eat. I'm hungry.. I need a samitch."

Me: "No, For what? As in, whats in it for me?"

Silence:

Silence:

Silence:

Silence:

Me: "I'm depressed, dirt poor, and have a lot of health problems. If you expect me to part with any of my money you’re going to have offer me some kind of relief"

Tony The Crackhead: "But you have more money than me. I'm hungry and need to eat."

Me: *FACEPALMS*

Me: "Dammit! If you want a f****** dollar, give me what I need. If you can make me laugh when I come out of the store I will give you a f****** dollar."

So I go into the store. The bread was $1.99. As I'm walking out of the store, I don't see Tony The Crackhead anywhere. I take a few steps outside and without warning, BAM!! There he is, he runs up to me. He has his shirt tied in a knot, both arms up. His wrists appear to be broken. He is dancing like a lunatic and saying "Hey big boy how bout that dollar?” He even has a lisp. I cracked a smile but didn't laugh. He started looking desperate and was losing enthusiasm. Then he started doing the shimmy dance from the movie grease or something. He took a few steps back and tripped over a fire hydrant. He popped up to his feet and started doing the moon walk. At this point I tell him to stop because I was laughing when he fell over the fire hydrant. I handed him $3 (It was worth every penny to me). I told him “You see, give people what they need. Then ask them for money”.

Every once in a while I see him telling people “I’ll make you laugh for a dollar guaranteed!”

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I was homeless when I was younger. Staying in shelters isn't fun. Not eating for days isn't fun. Sleeping in a compact car wasn't fun. It's not fun at all.

I think these situations arise before anyone develops any skills and then, the chances for change are pretty hard to find, because everything seems insurmountable.

The people who've gone from homeless to billionaires are outliers.
Most people die homeless.

I believe that. Health, motivation, belief in "why", all are under stress.

I think the real issue is, no one takes time to really think about the issue. Not the homeless, not the people walking by, not the billionaire that "got away".
Its a failure to listen.

Me: "Dammit! If you want a f****** dollar, give me what I need. If you can make me laugh when I come out of the store I will give you a f****** dollar."

I feel fortunate that they don't make me too squeemish.
I basically think "I'm not helping these dudes that much" and am humble when I give help, cuz the way I see it, its not like I have given a thousand one dollar coins to this person and it is the reason why I have only 5 bucks etc :p. The reason I have 5 bucks is my BS.

Hmm...

Please note:
I'm not saying any of this to punish or argue with you. Punishing and arguing does not work in persuasion. In turn punishing and arguing does not work in sales.

Noted. Its thought provoking actually. And has helped me take some time to more patiently observe that state.
I appreciate that man, its HARD to even think about.

I think homelessness is caused by having given up, or by surrendering to others beliefs of how the world is. And the reason we fear it, is the same reason we fear giving up on ourselves.
I think that since you are here, you won't ever give up on yourself.

I think that, as a child we are all in someways, surrendering to other people's view of the world, but as you get older, it is important to take the reigns, and to create your own view, your own beliefs and never give up on them, knowing that you are not where you come from.
What is a business other than a belief? What is the satisfaction of success other than belief in yourself? What is the failures we fear other than the fear that we no longer believe in ourselves?
Believe in who you are, no matter what anyone else thinks, because they are just a reflection of what you think. Gain perspective, and you never have to fear anyone not believing in what you are about, or what you represent.

Ok, I have an analogy.
As a young kid I learnt to fight. Thing was I got picked on by groups of people who were older and stronger.
The only thing I had working for me was my mind. I wanted to hate those people, I wanted to hurt them, and then, I stopped myself. I realised, that deep down, I really wanted to trust them, and that was why it was making me angry.

So at like ten years old, I realised "if I want to trust someone I can't let them punch me", "If I care about them I can't just let them get into positions where hurting me is easy".
I started to understand fighting, as protecting them from wrath, and teaching them to stay on a clearer path.

As a teen, this gang jumped me at the bus stop. And there I was, fully exposed. All these guys around me, and running wasn't an option. For most people this story ends up with them losing faith in people, getting pushed down, and fearing being pushed down like that again.

What I did, was I confronted the leader. I asked him questions "what is this about? Oh its for that, well I can understand that?", the leader pretends to play nice, and gets closer to headbutt me, I turn my body and shine this big smile at him, not letting him get an easy shot, and I say "damn, you are one intimidating guy", and he changes tune "yeah exactly!" he says back.

The reason he changed his tune, wasn't because of what I was saying, it was because he realised it would be very hard to hit me.
The point was, we don't need to just believe in ourselves, we need to put ourselves in positions where people can more gratefully believe in us.

That helps people avoid wrath, on both sides.

Maybe that level of poverty is about negotiation, and learning to protect yourself from judgement. Creating a barrier to entry before someone can judge you that way.
I don't think anyone needs to become a billionaire, I think you just need to find your own space, and from that protected place, invite in those who you know will respect you.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Paint a big red target on your naked stomach and have a sign that tells people to throw quarters at the target. profit. You provide value and, receive in return.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I personally thought this was posted more in a whimsical type fashion, not as a suggestion for a means of income...hence my fundraising pun.

Definately not as a means to raise funds xD
Whimsy, my archilles heel ;)

I do care about people feeling like cr#p though. And maybe some part of me doesn't like the stigma that seperates homeless people from real people.

I think it is about boundaries, and them learning to build them and move forwards, rather than let them down, and go with the meager crap, that people will give you if only you sit there looking like you have it bad off.

People won't give you the keys to a great life, you have to go out there and build it. And for some ironic reason, when I think of building the best things I can for the world, I know it takes time and the ability to resist external perceptions.

Deep down, if you create value, you will succeed. But sometimes the search for that value takes people to places they don't want to go, irregardless of their ego and their plans.

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
This actually would be a good idea to practice sales, but soon as you close, dont accept the dollar. After all if you can convince people to give you money for nothing, it'll be a lot easier to get it for something.

I'd try it with a "how would you like to feel good about yourself in the next 60 seconds..." opener.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
This actually would be a good idea to practice sales, but soon as you close, dont accept the dollar. After all if you can convince people to give you money for nothing, it'll be a lot easier to get it for something.

I'd try it with a "how would you like to feel good about yourself in the next 60 seconds..." opener.
Interesting concept. You could use that opener for a real sale, too!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Today I was buying groceries when a person came up to me (non hobo) and asked if I had a dollar on me, I responded "hmm, why" and they then said "I only have 5 on me and this costs about six".
I said, "sure no problems"

Ironic,
It was actually really relaxed and fine, not at all begging.
I'd like to think that if anyone is actually short, that they just ask.
And today was like a big slap in the face "you are right, that is the way to ask, if you run out of change unexpectedly".
People helpin people :innocent: :halo:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Seems like a great way to help people. Randomly pay for their meals if they look in need. I did this once at a fast food place when the guy looked in need. The person behind the counter told me that I could not pay for his meal. They would not let me put it on my card so I had to hand him a few bucks. The people behind us in line began taunting the manager that would not let me pay. It was kinda funny. There were a lot of words exchanged, mostly in jest but the result was fine.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Seems like a great way to help people. Randomly pay for their meals if they look in need

I totally agree, its subtle, and cool.

But it just occured to me, fiverr.com gives people a chance to share like this online, so if anyone is struggling at the end of the month, maybe take a look, and get an extra fiver or whatever when stuff is screwy.

(dusts hands)
:smuggy:

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads