The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Android App time table?!

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
I have 2 ideas for an Android App that meets the Law of Effection, but I'm just learning how to code in Java...I will be doin' ALL of the work i.e. Graphic design & coding. So, how long should I give myself to complete an app since I'll be learnin' & workin' at the same time? How should I breakdown my milestones? Thanks for ya'll time & input!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Impossible to answer. If you don't know how are we supposed to? Figure out how long it would take someone with experience to program and design the type of app you are planning on creating and then multiply that by whatever number you choose.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
As was said above it is impossible question.

Like me asking you how long to teach myself piano so I can play the William Tell Overture. Or to play Jingle bells for you younger folks lol

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
It all depends on the complexity of the app, your ability to learn quickly/efficiently, the amount of time you can put into learning, and what level you want to become proficient in, its like saying you want to learn to play a new sport or you want to become a professional athlete in a sport you have yet to learn, both will take work but one will take a LOT more work than the other. I would say anywhere from 5 months to a year or so (ballpark). Do what MJ did when he was learning to code, learn as you go and solve problems as you encounter them, that's what I will be doing as soon as I buy my mac!

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
Okay well damn, I didn't think that the ?s that I asked would be that difficult to answer for someone that HAS BUILT AN APP B4! And duh, of course there's variables that would scew the answer...Smh...This wasn't trick ?s, & all I needed was a rough estimate, so with that said thanks Mike39...I guess my ?s were possible to answer! *Rollin my eyez*

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay well damn, I didn't think that the ?s that I asked would be that difficult to answer for someone that HAS BUILT AN APP B4! And duh, of course there's variables that would scew the answer...Smh...This wasn't trick ?s, & all I needed was a rough estimate, so with that said thanks Mike39...I guess my ?s were possible to answer! *Rollin my eyez*

There are a lot of variables that will determine it..
How much time a day will you put to learning?
How quick do you pick things up?
How complex is your app? Is it a game or utility app?
Will you have simple graphics or something more advanced/professional?

Not sure why you are getting mad when you didn't really give much information. What if I asked you, how long till I get rich? What would you tell me? Coding is not something easy that you pick up overnight. I know a kid who was coding for like 8 years before he made his first app, built the app in 2 weeks, made millions off it. But he already knew how to code.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
How to win friends when you are new in a forum lol

Keep going girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I'm not even sure why I responding here but you know what? I'm a helpful kind of guy.

Your App could take between an hour and several years. If you'd like to build an extremely basic app follow these instructions

Hello, World | Android Developers

Now take a look at an extremely complex game. It would take years!

You can start small and work your way up to more complex apps. You can even pull code from open source apps, change some functionality, the skin, and make it your own. AOpenSource.com Android Open Source for open source apps you can use.

If that didn't help then the answer is 7.5 months

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
There are a lot of variables that will determine it..
How much time a day will you put to learning?
How quick do you pick things up?
How complex is your app? Is it a game or utility app?
Will you have simple graphics or something more advanced/professional?

Not sure why you are getting mad when you didn't really give much information. What if I asked you, how long till I get rich? What would you tell me? Coding is not something easy that you pick up overnight. I know a kid who was coding for like 8 years before he made his first app, built the app in 2 weeks, made millions off it. But he already knew how to code.

"Not sure why you are getting mad..." How do you figure that I'm somehow mad? I gave an assholish response based on the assholish responses I got! I thought my response was quite funny, maybe next time I'll put LOLs everywhere so ppl won't assume that I'm "mad"...Btw, the first 2 that responded to my board didn't ask me any questions to clarify a proper response, b/c hey maybe they didn't give a damn about givin' me one from the get go...I already clarified that I'm just learnin' how to code, so that story bout that kid is irrelevent..."What if I asked you, how long till I get rich?" Nice ad hominen...Now, did you actually want me to answer those questions, or were you just tryin' to prove some type of point to me?

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
I'm not even sure why I responding here but you know what? I'm a helpful kind of guy.

Your App could take between an hour and several years. If you'd like to build an extremely basic app follow these instructions

Hello, World | Android Developers

Now take a look at an extremely complex game. It would take years!

You can start small and work your way up to more complex apps. You can even pull code from open source apps, change some functionality, the skin, and make it your own. AOpenSource.com Android Open Source for open source apps you can use.

If that didn't help then the answer is 7.5 months

Oh okay, yeah I've only been readin' the developer's guide on the android site & for some reason hadn't even ventured to the resources tab lol, & I didn't know that there were open source apps...Naw, I'm not tryin' to do a video game right now, I figured that would take forever, but have plans to do one in the future. The first app I have in mind is a simple utility app, nothin' too heavy to start with... Thank you kindly sir! lol

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
"Not sure why you are getting mad..." How do you figure that I'm somehow mad? I gave an assholish response based on the assholish responses I got! I thought my response was quite funny, maybe next time I'll put LOLs everywhere so ppl won't assume that I'm "mad"...Btw, the first 2 that responded to my board didn't ask me any questions to clarify a proper response, b/c hey maybe they didn't give a damn about givin' me one from the get go...I already clarified that I'm just learnin' how to code, so that story bout that kid is irrelevent..."What if I asked you, how long till I get rich?" Nice ad hominen...Now, did you actually want me to answer those questions, or were you just tryin' to prove some type of point to me?

Since you are new to the forum, a**hole responses probably aren't the smartest things. Reread your comment and it sounds like you are mad, or just a prick. Either way, with your attitude, no one is going to want to help you. I didn't ask the questions for my own health, they are questions that will help determine how long it would take you. I was trying to help because I have been working on an app but you obviously don't need our help, you just wasted everyone's time by posting here. My guess is you will be like the many on here who don't last or stick around.

Good luck.

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
Since you are new to the forum, a**hole responses probably aren't the smartest things. Reread your comment and it sounds like you are mad, or just a prick. Either way, with your attitude, no one is going to want to help you. I didn't ask the questions for my own health, they are questions that will help determine how long it would take you. I was trying to help because I have been working on an app but you obviously don't need our help, you just wasted everyone's time by posting here. My guess is you will be like the many on here who don't last or stick around.

Good luck.

Like I said I gave an assholish response based on what I got! I give what I get! Usually, I'm sweet as pie, but if someone is gonna dish me some bs, I'm a dish it right back, plain & simple...You nor them saw me laughin' while I was writin' my response, so u are assumin' that I was mad, & probably b/c u figure I'm a female that it's more than likely that I was mad when in fact I wasn't...It takes way more than some pompous remarks over the internet to get me mad..trust...Also, if no one wants to help me here than I'll continue helpin' myself as I've done the majority of my life, it'll just take longer probably...I don't expect for ppl to help me...Anyways, to answer your questions:

How much time a day will you put to learning? 6 hours daily.
How quick do you pick things up? I'm a quick learner, I retain information fairly fast.
How complex is your app? Is it a game or utility app? It's a simple utility app, nothin' heavy since I'm new to this.
Will you have simple graphics or something more advanced/professional? The app in mind doesn't call for advanced graphics, so simple.

Thanks for your time and input.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012

Good luck.

Oddball no good deed goes unpunished.

The vets tried to tell me that every day a new person comes on here demanding help the way THEY want it. When they don't get the answers they want they blame the person who is trying to help them.

Now I understand.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Ok Mrs. Southern Sexist Belle, look at your 1st post, you did NOT ask how long it will take you to learn to code, you specifically asked
how long should I give myself to complete an app
, and THAT is WAY to general to answer so I asked for clarification and tied it in to how it relates to me, I didn't give you a "story". I don't get why you people post on a forum, and then go on the defensive and attack anyone who replies to their posts, the whole point it to be open minded and get some opinions from other real people.

I already clarified that I'm just learnin' how to code, so that story bout that kid is irrelevent..."
You did NOT clarify you are just learning to code, you wanted us to put an estimate on when your app could be built, look for yourself

What if I asked you, how long till I get rich?"
That question is just as easily answered as your 1st post.

How to win friends when you are new in a forum lol

Keep going girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl!

To put it in plain English, he means by that is that your attitude is not appreciated here and it will not earn you any respect or help from some valuable resources.

And the last thing I need to cover, don't bring up the whole "you just think that cause I'm a woman card", its not a good card to play, life will not hand you any special treatment for being a woman and to be honest, I had no idea you were a girl until you said so, let alone you think you face more challenges starting a business being a woman than being a 16 year old kid, guess again... so cut the attitude, absorb what people are saying, THINK, and you may just make it on this forum yet!

I will not be involved with you at all until I hear some sort of apology which I truly don't expect from someone like you but its no real loss on my side, what can I say, an assholish response for an assholish response, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind :) goodnight y'all LOL LOL LOL

-Your 16 year old kid and apparent useless blob,
Mike39 :)

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
Oddball no good deed goes unpunished.

The vets tried to tell me that every day a new person comes on here demanding help the way THEY want it. When they don't get the answers they want they blame the person who is trying to help them.

Now I understand.

First: I didn't demand a damn thing, I asked for help if you had a hard time answering my question you could've simply asked me to clarify & I would've did it no problem...You said my question was an "impossible question," yet Mike39 answer my question with no problem! Oh let me throw in a overall LOL so you won't think I'm mad! lol

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
Ok Mrs. Southern Sexist Belle, look at your 1st post, you did NOT ask how long it will take you to learn to code, you specifically asked
, and THAT is WAY to general to answer so I asked for clarification and tied it in to how it relates to me, I didn't give you a "story". I don't get why you people post on a forum, and then go on the defensive and attack anyone who replies to their posts, the whole point it to be open minded and get some opinions from other real people.

You did NOT clarify you are just learning to code, you wanted us to put an estimate on when your app could be built, look for yourself

That question is just as easily answered as your 1st post.

To put it in plain English, he means by that is that your attitude is not appreciated here and it will not earn you any respect or help from some valuable resources.

And the last thing I need to cover, don't bring up the whole "you just think that cause I'm a woman card", its not a good card to play, life will not hand you any special treatment for being a woman and to be honest, I had no idea you were a girl until you said so, let alone you think you face more challenges starting a business being a woman than being a 16 year old kid, guess again... so cut the attitude, absorb what people are saying, THINK, and you may just make it on this forum yet!

I will not be involved with you at all until I hear some sort of apology which I truly don't expect from someone like you but its no real loss on my side, what can I say, an assholish response for an assholish response, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind :) goodnight y'all LOL LOL LOL

-Your 16 year old kid and apparent useless blob,
Mike39 :)

Okay, I don't know why you're so butthurt when my responses you quoted weren't even directed towards you! I expressed my gratitude towards your input, so what is your problem? And, don't project these guys attitude onto me i.e "Sexist" & I'm not from the South so uh yeah lol And the rest of your response is whole bunch of assumptions again...I already said "I don't expect help from anyone," therefore I don't expect anything from anybody, like I said everything else you said is just so random I can't! LOL Like, what are even talkin' about?

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Okay, I don't know why you're so butthurt when my responses you quoted weren't even directed towards you! I expressed my gratitude towards your input, so what is your problem? And, don't project these guys attitude onto me i.e "Sexist" & I'm not from the South so uh yeah lol And the rest of your response is whole bunch of assumptions again...I already said "I don't expect help from anyone," therefore I don't expect anything from anybody, like I said everything else you said is just so random I can't! LOL Like, what are even talkin' about?

Well while I had the feeling those messages were not directed at me, the attitude that you were putting out was not a positive one, having been on here for a while, I know that Patrick is a really nice guy who only gives his honest opinion, he is not someone who just bashes posts, as for Jake, I have no idea who he is, hes not active very much. It frustrates me to just see people get on here and start dishing out an attitude, yes, comments by the members may seem critical, but they are not aimed at pissing you off they are aimed at answering your question as best as possible, and that answer might not be one you want to hear. I am glad that my rough estimate time-table was satisfying enough, however, don't hate on the other guys as there is no real answer to your question, you just have to experience it yourself to find out, that's what they were trying to tell you, and its good advice. So Ginger, relinquish all your frustration and anger, participate in some other posts, you already got your answer on this post, no need to extend the tense feelings, welcome to the forum btw!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
as for Jake, I have no idea who he is, hes not active very much.
I need to change that. There's a great group of people on here and I plan on being more active now that I've got my motivation back.

I'm an IT guy and aspiring Android "Appreneur". I've got my first idea on a programmers table right now being built. The plan is to generate a decent income via apps so I can leave my job in Afghanistan where I work nearly 70 hours a week. Start bringing in income, quit job, go home to my family and focus on building a business full-time without burning through savings.

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
Well while I had the feeling those messages were not directed at me, the attitude that you were putting out was not a positive one, having been on here for a while, I know that Patrick is a really nice guy who only gives his honest opinion, he is not someone who just bashes posts, as for Jake, I have no idea who he is, hes not active very much. It frustrates me to just see people get on here and start dishing out an attitude, yes, comments by the members may seem critical, but they are not aimed at pissing you off they are aimed at answering your question as best as possible, and that answer might not be one you want to hear. I am glad that my rough estimate time-table was satisfying enough, however, don't hate on the other guys as there is no real answer to your question, you just have to experience it yourself to find out, that's what they were trying to tell you, and its good advice. So Ginger, relinquish all your frustration and anger, participate in some other posts, you already got your answer on this post, no need to extend the tense feelings, welcome to the forum btw!

Hmmm, I wonder why my RESPONSES didn't come off as postive?! I fckn wonder! Maybe, b/c the energy I got wasn't postive...Ya'll keep tryin' to jump down my throat, like I was the cause when in fact my response was the effect, but you can keep on defendin' you're precious pal Patrick...Btw, Patrick call himself bein' funny, yet derogatory with his "giiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrllll" remark lol And he attempted to bash me with my own introduction, however that works, so spare me the bs please lol smh Once again, I didn't START dishin' out the attitude til you're buddy Patrick & one other STARTED dishin' me out attitude...What about that don't u get? Do I need to explain it to you like you're a 3 yr old? And once again, there sarcastic way of sayin "You have to experience it on your own," get's a big no shit sherlock, how tf is that helpful? My question could've been answered in two ways, the 1st way is the assholish way that I got with what I just stated, or it could've been how you initially replied, just that simple...Btw, either response is perfectly ok with me, but you gonna dish it then I'm a dish it back, not my fault ya'll can't handle what ya'll give smh That is a personal problem, but since ya'll can't handle what ya'll give, then ya'll think bein' a bigger dickhead then you intitially were proves somethin' LOL F*ckin' amazing LOL When ppl truly give a damn bout helpin' that's what they do, point blank, & Patrick's attitude was not a helpful one no matter how u try to slice it hun...LMAO And ya'll are the ones extendin' "tense feelings," so don't project your "frustration" out on me! And ur definition of "hatin' on the other guys" confuses me...Hatin' means jealousy/envy directed towards someone in a vocally spiteful manner, & I ain't jealous of no one in this muthafucka or anyone in general period! LOL Again, thanks for your input, & I'll refrain from venturing on this forum b/c I can actually get more honest help from random ppl on youtube which is surprisin' as hell o_O vs the sarcastic, manipulative, dipshit responses I've received here! Thank ya'll for the 'warm' welcome! Smh LOL Please...Bunch of F*ckin' trolls on here Lbvfs...Syonara ya'll...

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Hmmm, I wonder why my RESPONSES didn't come off as postive?! I fckn wonder! Maybe, b/c the energy I got wasn't postive...Ya'll keep tryin' to jump down my throat, like I was the cause when in fact my response was the effect, but you can keep on defendin' you're precious pal Patrick...Btw, Patrick call himself bein' funny, yet derogatory with his "giiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrllll" remark lol And he attempted to bash me with my own introduction, however that works, so spare me the bs please lol smh Once again, I didn't START dishin' out the attitude til you're buddy Patrick & one other STARTED dishin' me out attitude...What about that don't u get? Do I need to explain it to you like you're a 3 yr old? And once again, there sarcastic way of sayin "You have to experience it on your own," get's a big no shit sherlock, how tf is that helpful? My question could've been answered in two ways, the 1st way is the assholish way that I got with what I just stated, or it could've been how you initially replied, just that simple...Btw, either response is perfectly ok with me, but you gonna dish it then I'm a dish it back, not my fault ya'll can't handle what ya'll give smh That is a personal problem, but since ya'll can't handle what ya'll give, then ya'll think bein' a bigger dickhead then you intitially were proves somethin' LOL F*ckin' amazing LOL When ppl truly give a damn bout helpin' that's what they do, point blank, & Patrick's attitude was not a helpful one no matter how u try to slice it hun...LMAO And ya'll are the ones extendin' "tense feelings," so don't project your "frustration" out on me! And ur definition of "hatin' on the other guys" confuses me...Hatin' means jealousy/envy directed towards someone in a vocally spiteful manner, & I ain't jealous of no one in this muthafucka or anyone in general period! LOL Again, thanks for your input, & I'll refrain from venturing on this forum b/c I can actually get more honest help from random ppl on youtube which is surprisin' as hell o_O vs the sarcastic, manipulative, dipshit responses I've received here! Thank ya'll for the 'warm' welcome! Smh LOL Please...Bunch of F*ckin' trolls on here Lbvfs...Syonara ya'll...

Sorry guys, this ones a lost cause, she would rather complain and "smh" than actually realize I was trying to make amends and clear things up, well not everyone is cut out for productive conversations.... too bad

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...