The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making $ while in College....thoughts ?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
This is for my Daughter. She needs $ and now realizes waitressing isn't going to cut it anymore.

It's been many years since I've been in college so I'm out of touch with what students might need or what value a student can offer with limited time(16-18 Credit hrs / semester) and resources.

Since I'm limited in my thinking, I'm turning to the best people and best Forum on the Net for some suggestions/ideas.

She attends a private, Christian based University in NC. About 4,000 students.

Her assets:

HARD working.

Very creative. She's an artist, and photographer. Pretty much everyone thinks she's very, very talented.

Fluent in French.

She is stunning and I've suggested several times to try some modeling but she's not having it.

Mmmm...that's it...thanks in advance guys/gals.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Something a friend of mine has done was write papers and historical work from one language to another. Being fluent in two languages gives a huge advantage for those who need help writing their papers from their language to english, or vice versa. One suggestion could be to start her own business translating peoples writing. At first she may need to translate 1 or 2 pieces for free so she gets recommendations, after that, its really just a business from there. She gets to charge her own price. My friend is fluent in 4 languages so he was very versatile, but French is a very popular language so I don't think she will have any trouble finding gigs.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
749%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...uses-are-now-void-now-with-exact-steps.66084/

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/getting-started-is-this-simple.63602/

She can thank me for not having to objectify herself to afford college at the next summit.

If you're wondering why I didn't proffer ideas about the other skills, it's because this kind of thing is faster, easier, more profitable, and because if she hasn't sold paintings or art her skills in those areas are unknown quantities regardless of what people say. Nobody who hasn't made money doing X can be said objectively to be any good at X. It's all talk until the first sale. If she's committed to the slow lane for life, push her to go into law school. Legal translation is a mega lucrative slow-lane. France and the US don't do much commerce compared to China or Japan, unfortunately, but I'm sure there's still good money there.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUserX09

I had written a book on Kindle about this and it is no longer published. It was called "Free College by Freelance"

Basically I went in depth on how to jumpstart a profitable freelance business in freelancing. I explained my experience step my step. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Ev1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2016
Translation could be big. Not sure how much French would be in demand, but I would imagine since it's not your second language (like it is in Canada) there could be a need for translation services.

Other than that, if she's into the entertainment scene setting up a video service for the local clubs has been a hit over the past few years. You hire photographers, send them to the club to take pictures of groups at the clubs throughout the night. A quick edit, watermark for the club and then post them up on facebook. She could probably get into the scene as an employee or run her own team if she has the drive to do it. It doesn't take much for capital if she already has the camera/editing equpment, a website, the ability to sell to a few clubs and a few hours everything thursday, friday and saturday night.

I work 25-30 hours retail, have 18 hours of class and try to attempt a social life/restoring a car. It's a tough go for some, but respect those that try to make it on their own. I'd say it's impossible these days to do it without help from parents, unless you're self employed already, a drug dealer or stripper.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Tell her to buy TMF and read it. That should be her first step if she wants to know how to make money. The second step should be joining this forum. The third- profit?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Freelance photography and perhaps art/design etc.

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
I'm a college/university student. My workload is pretty heavy so I don't have a lot of free time, but I've managed to make importing and reselling work pretty well. The learning curve was steep, but I've reached to the point where it only takes about 30 minutes out of each day, and I earn more than I ever would doing any part-time job. Anything is possible. :)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Wow....all great suggestions ! Thank you.

I forwarded a link to this thread to my Daughter, since it's on the outside, and she's going to read it today. (and yes, Ill be following up with her).

She's a hard worker and when she sets her sights on the bullseye, there's no stopping her and she's relentless. :D

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
College kids at small schools in NC that happen to be Christian.... are probably very into hammocks. Currently, you probably see a lot of ENO hammocks, which are really expensive. There are plenty of similar hammocks, that are much cheaper. You might have luck selling a cheaper yet high quality brand of hammock to those college kids.

Alternately, the branded ENO hammock straps are super expensive. Maybe a custom strapping solution would work well?

If you are in the middle of nowhere... there aren't a ton of good opportunities to sell things locally. You could potentially partner up with some local wine venues and host a college kids wine and chill night or something. Lots of college kids that don't go and and party still like to drink wine, and there might be a really nice wine venue with a nice view of the mountains close by that would partner up and give you a portion or revenues brought in?

Colleges that are in the middle of nowhere often have bored college kids on the weekend. This is why lots of kids go home over the weekend. You could arrange group trips to go do fun things over the weekend. Lots of options here; outdoor/camping stuff, cities like Greenville, Charlotte, or Asheville could work.

If there is a local river, you could maybe do a tube rental so kids can walk up and float back down. Some tubes on Amazon are $18, and you might be able to find cheaper ones. $10 for a full day tube rental might work. Get two or 3 tubes to start, and after they pay for themselves then build up?

These aren't really scalable ideas, but might work for some extra income.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Is she into martial arts as well?

Teaching? Gymnastics coach? Group fitness? Camp councilor? Babysitting?

There are companies that pay well for language lessons over skype.

"The Hustlers Guide to buying and selling anything" I believe is the thread from Ryan, that's another option.

I made around 2k/month selling candy in high school...

But if you want my honest opinion bar tending and waitressing as a cute girl will get her all the cash she needs. Yeah she'll have to put up with the creepers but the cash may be worth it. Another option is delivery for higher end breakfast restaurants/catering. The money is good in the restaurant industry -- it's hard to give up for most.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I could use a creative product photographer. Can you PM me some of her work? My new batch of products will be shipping to NC in a couple of weeks. I may be able to provide her with work if the rates are reasonable.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I could use a creative product photographer. Can you PM me some of her work? My new batch of products will be shipping to NC in a couple of weeks. I may be able to provide her with work if the rates are reasonable.

Hey Jake....I talking w/her now. Will PM you !

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Is she into martial arts as well?

Teaching? Gymnastics coach? Group fitness? Camp councilor? Babysitting?

There are companies that pay well for language lessons over skype.

"The Hustlers Guide to buying and selling anything" I believe is the thread from Ryan, that's another option.

I made around 2k/month selling candy in high school...

But if you want my honest opinion bar tending and waitressing as a cute girl will get her all the cash she needs. Yeah she'll have to put up with the creepers but the cash may be worth it. Another option is delivery for higher end breakfast restaurants/catering. The money is good in the restaurant industry -- it's hard to give up for most.

STEEEEEVE ! Thanks for the great ideas. Yes, she has experience in Martial Arts and she could do all those things. She has experiencing waitressing as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. She will see them.

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 21, 2015
Canada
I sold items I got from garage sales and my friends on amazon when I was in college.

Also if they're any art galleries close by she could donate some of her work to spread by word of mouth, then later sell to customers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.