• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Introduction Who I am, Siloa from France

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by Siloa, Oct 7, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Siloa

Siloa New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    Hi,

So I need to start with an introduction of myself.

I am french 33 year-old man, married to a beautiful woman. After 7 years studying, I started to work at the age of 25 (close to 26).
    I am not poor, but not rich. I don't consider myself being a sidewalker as I don't live only for the present, I don't buy the latest gadget, I don't have debt except a mortgage for the appartment where I live in, that I bought a bit more than 5 years ago and that I will finish reimbursing in 8 years.
    I put money aside every month and keep my finance clean and under control.

I have parents who always told me to be good at school, to find a decent job and one day, after several years, as long as I keep my eyes open, I will find an idea that will make me rich. At 33 years old, I still did not have this genious idea.

I wake up at 6:15, arrive at the office around 8:00/8:30 (yeah trains are not reliable), leave the office around 18:00 and arrive at home around 19:30/20:00 (again, trains...), completely tired and if I wanna be able to work the day after, I cannot go to sleep late. So my life, 5 days a week is about 3 hours each evening... As it is written in the Millionnaire fastlane, week-ends are here to rest and be prepared for a new exhaustive week that drains all my energy.

Two years ago, I started to consider this life as complete nonsense, wasting my energy for a job I don't really like, for a boss that makes (to me) the worse mistakes he can do in both strategy and management. In short I wanted to get out of the Rat Race.
    I also wanted to earn more from my savings, so I started, a year ago, to study the financial markets. I bought a quite expensive course that is supposed to help me get between 20 and 60% from my capital each year. After 8 months of paper trading, I am now trading for real. I'll see how it goes, but it's a slow process, because I need to invest money and I don't have 300K€ to invest, which is the very minimum needed to live from it. Also, the guy in the course does not say I'll be rich or I'll succeed. It requires to learn and to practice. It's not magical. That's good point, I don't believe in magic :).

In February this year, a tragedy came that made me think that life was too short to be wasted being unhappy. Although my job was so stressful and the workload so high that I ended with a beginning of what the doctor called a "burn-out". The two combined, I decided that I could not continue.
    I then started to study strategy, business, reading books like : "The Richest Man in Babylon", "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", "The Lean Startup", "Will it Fly", "Contagious", "Made to Stick", "From Acorns", "The Devil's Advocate", and so on. I am not done reading them, and I am currently reading "The Millionnaire Fastlane", as long as "Made to Stick". But it does not help know where to go, where to start, and so on. The idea was still missing at this point.

Now that trading is in place, I need to make money to invest it. I need to start something, stop waiting for the idea to show up. I bought, 2 weeks ago, a new course, with the idea of starting an e-business based on dropshipping (not really known in France) and Facebook ads (same here, quite new in France), giving less time to my job (I was offering way too much) to invest in the course and go there. It may not work, it may work, I have no idea yet, but I want to try it. Same as trading, the teacher says it's not magical and requires work. Fine with me.

What is complicated is that my wife, a primary school teacher is afraid of me taking risks, reducing our lifestyle for a while, seeing me unemployed -I wanted to quit right after the burn-out-, she wanted us to buy a house and have a mortgage for 25 years that I don't want to, and so on. Also my friends and family (and her family who is pushing us to buy a house before thinking about investment) don't see the Rat Race as the... Rat Race but as what we have to do, how life is. Work hard and enjoy when you're too old to travel, to do sports, to chill out...

My dream is not to drive a Lamborghini ;) or have a giant house. What I would like is :
    1. A medium house in a land far from a city, with no pollution, maybe mountains or sea, with privacy, space and silence. A good place to raise kids.
    2. Freedom to work whenever I want without control -I won't be able to stay inactive all day long, sitting in my couch, watching Netflix-.
    3. My revenue to depend on my work, not limited by a boss or a system, no matter the work I do or the results I get.
    4. Being able to work on stuff that help people, no matter if it does not make money.

Sorry for the "English" mistakes, as I said, as being French, English is not my native language.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    GMSI7D, Kingmaker, Fpm9 and 2 others like this.
  2. AlessioLC

AlessioLC Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $543
    Welcome in the forum!

I'm from France too and Dropshipping is actually something, many people are doing this but our Amazon is empty if you compare on the Amazon.com/UK, you can make a living but it will take time and using many other plateforms to sell on (ebay/etsy...) Because if you only stay on Amazon you won't make enough money or you could but only if you make a portfolio of 10/20/30 products which are regularly bought, otherwise you will have to constantly expand your offer BUT, it can be done.

And with dropshipping only, you won't be able to work remotly, trading can do that (i'm learning too).
    I won't say much on this topics, there a lot of people who succeedeed on Amazon, you'll see the issues they had and how they've done, good luck. (Just consider that is not a long term thing and everything can disappear if you stay average, please make sure to learn about 'Private labelling' and to build your own website.)

By the way, the only true way to know if it works or not, is to try.
    EDIT : Make sure to follow 'Professeur Commerce' on YTB, he explain everything.

3. Fpm9

Fpm9 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $392
    Merci la SNCF..

Welcome on the forums!

4. Siloa

Siloa New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    Hi Alessio,

Thanks for your answer. Indeed, e-commerce might not work, I am totally aware, but I need to start somewhere.
    MJ DeMarco had this opportunity while being a limo driver to notice a need from his clients. I expected the same my entire professional life, but it never came up. Maybe I did not pay enough attention, I don't know. The thing is, I need to move, and start something.
    Thanks for the tips and the youtube channel, I'll watch the videos.

Hi Fpm9,

Yep, thanks SNCF. I think that living this horrible thing that SNCF on a daily basis helps me understand how critical my life is and that I need to change. Monday morning, ready to go to work, you go to the station, you wait for the train, it is on time, but there's no place where you can sit, then you stay up for 30 minutes, then your back hurts, every move the train does, you loose your balance, then your neck hurts because you read "the Millionnaire Fastlane" and you cannot hold your book in front of you because of the other strangers, complaining that you hold it too high and it's annoying.
    It's too warm in here, people are sweating, and yeah it is still Monday morning before 8:00...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    AlessioLC likes this.
  5. YanC

YanC New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $94
    Welcome to the forum! Looks like there's a bunch of French here :)

An idea is something you have to actively look for. You will unlikely stumble on the greatest idea ever by chance. By no means am I a yet successful entrepreneur, but I'm at that step of the process right now, so I've been working on it for the past few weeks.

In his book, MJ talks about the complete process of finding an idea by identifying a need and coming up with a solution, it is well detailed (The Commandment of Need). Alternatively, I like Tim Ferriss's approach to it as well as Noah Kagan's.
    Here are some links to articles that are helping me, hopefully they can help you too:
    How to Come up With a Business Idea
    How AppSumo was built for $50
    How to Create a Million-Dollar Business This Weekend (Examples: AppSumo, Mint, Chihuahuas)
    Cheers,
    Yan

6. Siloa

Siloa New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    Hi YanC,

Thanks for your message. I wasn't aware about the concept of Wantrepreneur. It's very interesting.
    For sure, I'll read the links you gave me. And I'll finish the Millionnaire Fastlane book soon, I really want to know the outcome.
    I am currently reading the Slowlane part, which I consider myself in.

Edit: I've noticed in a link you gave that goes to another link that Wantrepreneurs spend money before they make money, which is not good, but at the end, the guy sells a 1000$ course to learn from him. Which is what I do.
    I spent money on 2 courses supposed to teach my stuff: 1. Swing Trading, 2. E-commerce and Facebook ads.

I am ready to make mistakes, to test a lot of ideas that could fail and start over, learning from each. To be honest, what I am afraid of is time and energy...

7. YanC

Rep Bank:
    $94
    Yeah TMF is a great book, and you should definitely check out Unscripted afterwards. It provides with a very extensive blueprint for developing a business, from mindset to finding a worthy idea to execution.

I don't really know about these courses, I guess some are scams and others are great. I haven't paid for one yet so I can't really give any feedback on that. Learning is always good for you. I think going out there and starting something is the best way to do so.

As you will learn reading these books, commitment (in time and energy) is an essential part of entrepreneurship, but the potentiel rewards are, I think, worth the effort. In any area in life, there is no easy way or shortcut to succeed.

8. AlessioLC

AlessioLC Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $543
    @Siloa The point with Amazon basically, is to compare from Amazon.uk/Com and Amazon.fr, look for anything which is on A.UK and not on A.FR, then look if there any sales on this item, if there are good reviews on this same reviews, then look for it on aliexpress/alibaba, try to make a brand (cooking : cooking name ; bartender : bartender name with a logo if possible, try to customize everytime to be unique on the market), ask the supplier the prices, the shipping time..everything.

If you had a complete course, don't waste time and go for it ;) Be sure to get a sample of every final product before selling anything.
    Btw, you'll need to get a facebook in French and with great post (images/videos/interactions > Look at Firerank on facebook and look at how they do, it's the same thing)

9. Fpm9

Fpm9 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $392
    Let me guess, you work in Paris / Paris area ?
    For me the worst part of my day is going to work in the morning and coming back at night. If I can't get a seat I don't even try to read, trains are so crowded its impossible to focus on a book.

10. Siloa

Siloa New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    @Alessio,

Thanks for your reply. Yep, the idea is, in short, to find a niche, then find objects in AliExpress and sell them in a Shopify shop.
    I'll then target the people on Facebook with nice Ads, great pictures or videos and so on.
    I am not sure, this is exactly what I want to do in my future "e-commerce", but I needed to start somewhere. I bought the course before buying "the Millionnaire Fastlane" and joining the forum.
    It could be a start, and what I will learn could be useful in the future. Maybe, once I am done with reading the book and reading the other book "Unscripted" that I will receive next Thursday, I will stop this idea, or go to the end, having the shop and move to something else after. I dunno.

Thanks for Firerank, I did not know about it.

Note that I am still completely lost about what I want for my future. What I know, is that, I cannot continue like that. I was thinking, 2 months ago about switching jobs, I had several interviews, got several offers, but I cannot accept them. My mind does not allow it.

@Fpm9,

Yep I live near Paris, in the suburb. I had several times the possibility to move to another city, but I had to lower my salary by 25%...

AlessioLC likes this.
  11. AlessioLC

Rep Bank:
    $543
    You're not the only one, i am lost too! I got ideas to try, i've started the first one this morning where i met my clothes supplier, i'll have a sample in less than a week, if everything is good, i'll launch the brand.

The thing is, you can't control anything on Amazon, and i do think it's the more important commandment, because if can't control, everything can stop tomorrow, if Amazon/Shopify want it.
    Be sure to read every topic here about D.Shipping and Amazon FBA.

You're older than me, try to remember in any context, when people were complaining about something, try to remember if someone said "Je hais ..." "J'en ai marre de ....", the solution to bring value is here and you must listen to the complainers.

But as Gary Vaynerchuck would say, you're 33yo, you're young as f*ck, try things, do things and be sure to bring value.
    (By the way, bringing value would be for example building a printing shop and scaling it and growing it further that the other competitors, be able to make more product while being sure to have the best marketing ever and being sure to be on the first pages on Google/Facebook)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  12. YanC

Rep Bank:
    $94
    I think no one has it completely figured out. From the outside, it may seem that people do, but you only see the bright side. I really liked to read James Altucher's books for this reason. He's a successful entrepreneur and likes to say he failed at 17 businesses out of 20 (but 3 were enough!) and shows you how he often felt lost during the process. It's hard for everyone, and it's supposed to be.

13. GMSI7D

GMSI7D Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,496
    knowing where you want to go does not help either

i know EXACTLY what i want in life

i know EXACTLY where i want to live, what i want to do, what my values are, why i am on earth , what i have to do once i am free etc.

EXACTLY all thee things. nobody here is so stubborn about his or her life

no one

the only problem : i don't know how

this is the damn obstacle between the EXACT life i want and me

this Fu**** " how" " à la con " ( french words )

so i disagree with guys here saying " just do it " or other non sense

if you don't know what to do, the " just do it " joke does not make sense

14. AlessioLC

Rep Bank:
    $543
    That's why trying things is good ! I don't know what to do neither, but i'm trying things, we'll see where it goes, we're still young.

15. Siloa

Siloa New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    Hi @GMSI7D ,

You're right at the beginning of your post. I exactly know what I value, where I want to be, what I want to be, what I care about, and so on.
    When I said that I don't know what I want for my future, I meant only business. I've worked my whole professional life in web/product development being project manager, account manager and team leader, but I don't know what will be my next move to join the fastlane.
    I was thinking about the e-commerce dropshipping because I started it before reading the book (that I am not done reading), but it could be something else. I just feel that earning a few euros that don't come from my salary can only be benefit for my mind :).

I think that I need to keep reading the book and read Unscripted -that I received today- before talking more.

books.jpg

Again, thanks, all messages are welcomed. Feedback is very important for me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  16. AlessioLC

Rep Bank:
    $543
    @Siloa Like many people would recommend you, try to learn about Copywriting and articles writing, a lot of people try to start Daily Journal / Blog but can't get views because they're writing like a 10yo kid on a professionnal review, if you try to search any of these guys and propose them your services (Copywriting service) while being sure to be able to get the best result possible.

People pay for that.(I'm learning too but only from the web, i know there is a lot of books)