The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When It Comes Time to Name the Brand

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
I highly recommend The Naming Book by Brad Flowers. If you want more of a scientific method for going through this process, the author shares everything you’ll need to get clear.

This will help you find a business name or domain name (if different) that is easy to remember, unique, and easy to pronounce (if those are the most important criteria to you). I even used it for a pen name when I thought that might be necessary.

He gives a lot is specific, usable advice based on his years in branding.

For example, he talks about the power of hard K sounds. At the same time, his process will keep you from naming your company the Kindly Kind Kitchen ;-)

Hope it helps you on your journey!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Take the last 3 letters of your first name, than the first two of your nickname. If necessary for the domain, put a minus in between.
Ready and often not the worst?

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
Fun idea but it did not work for my name (already taken). I’d avoid hyphens as you always have to explain it to people.

This was one of about five sites I worked with when last working on names:
Domain Name Soup

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
This is my take -- if the name of your brand determines your success your marketing isn't doing its job. You can literally name your business anything and as long as your marketing is in line with your brand's core message, then you'll see success whether your name is BillyJoAgency.io or if it's emailsthatwork.com.

My agency's name came from Namelix.

It isn't the coolest name. It isn't the catchiest. Hell, it doesn't even have the word marketing, content, or agency in it. Yet it still works just as effectively!

Don't get too bogged down when it comes to choosing your name. Pick 2-3 options. Flip a coin and use the process of elimination. Boom. Move on and get started with sales & marketing.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
This is my take -- if the name of your brand determines your success your marketing isn't doing its job. You can literally name your business anything and as long as your marketing is in line with your brand's core message, then you'll see success whether your name is BillyJoAgency.io or if it's emailsthatwork.com.

My agency's name came from Namelix.

It isn't the coolest name. It isn't the catchiest. Hell, it doesn't even have the word marketing, content, or agency in it. Yet it still works just as effectively!

Don't get too bogged down when it comes to choosing your name. Pick 2-3 options. Flip a coin and use the process of elimination. Boom. Move on and get started with sales & marketing.
yes, thats right.
Brother of a friend named his business after hos girl friend. Last two letters of first name, first two of last name.
He brought it to 6 figures in second year, 7 figures in 3rd year. But the name sure did not make anything to his success.
Btw, a name, all horse riders in Europe know.

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
I agree that one should not get bogged down with this (like the ego trips surrounding business cards). You don’t want ego stuff that the customer doesn’t care about you stop you.

However the name of your business is still very important. Hulu was not just a throw the dart kind of thing, nor was Facebook, Nike, or the Millionaire Fastlane .

#1 is creating really amazing value. But names are important too.

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
I agree that one should not get bogged down with this (like the ego trips surrounding business cards). You don’t want ego stuff that the customer doesn’t care about you stop you.

However the name of your business is still very important. Hulu was not just a throw the dart kind of thing, nor was Facebook, Nike, or the Millionaire Fastlane .

#1 is creating really amazing value. But names are important too.
There is a difference between choosing a name and avoiding a bad name. We don't watch Hulu because it's called Hulu. If it was called Hulo and their marketing was the same, they'd probably have the same market share.

I'm mostly saying picking a name shouldn't take more than an hour MAX. Why? Because you have NO idea if you'll even reach the point where the name matters. You just pick and hope that your audience resonates with it enough that you continue to grow & scale. Simple as that.

Let's ask some successful business owners: @Black_Dragon43 how long did it take you to come up with Tanda? @GuitarManDan how long did it take you to come up with Norba Design? @Fox How long did it take you to come up with Fox Sales Legends?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.