The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When do you know you have a good enough idea?

Idea threads

MR_T

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 4, 2015
Sweden
Hi
I’m in a position where I have quit my job and started studying to unlock time for a fastlane project but the problem is the lack of motivation to execute the idea I have.

When I was trapped with a 9-5 job I had more motivation then I have now, which is a pretty F*cking stupid problem to have. The cause for this could be that deep down I don’t know if my idea sucks or not and it could be a waste of time and energy to develop it.

The idea is to create a marketplace for a niche that I have experience from. The problem is that there is competition and to be able to beat the competition, or at least end up on the same level as they are at now I will have to work my a$$ off at least half a year (programming the site). And then I will need to do the marketing for it and so on. I’m guessing I won’t sell anything for at least a year.

So my question to you is when do you know you have an idea that is worth walking in the desert of desertion for?

I mean shit, I have even bought the domain for the marketplace.. Just don’t get any motivation when I think about the shitload of work that will be needed to execute this business. Any tips for that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

dior616

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 9, 2017
Texas
I’ve had paralysis by analysis as well. But the longer you wait to pursue an idea with effort, the longer you delay your dream. Just do what you need to do until you get stuck.

Act. Assess. Adjust.

Also, don’t half-a$$ your idea. You have to take some time(at least an hour a day) working on it no matter what. And don’t say you don’t have time, there will be nights where you may have to get little sleep but you have to make it a priority to be consistent.

I feel like people pursue instant gratification because they want to make money fast. They will start projects that take a month and achieve mediocre or no results instead of something that takes a year to produce actual great results. Just my two cents.

Lastly, don’t have self-doubt. You’re more capable than you think.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

GDalf

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Mar 3, 2017
Canada
Somewhat similar situation so going to follow the thread. I have an idea for an authority website in a specific niche that gets high traffic, but doesn't have an authority website for (it's mostly big content sites posting content once in a while on that niche, but no websites dedicated only to that niche). High volume, low competition on adwords, but high competition for the top keywords.

If I wanted to compete, I know it would take months of solid content and building authority, but not sure if it's worth it. There is a good potential for affiliate income if I built it up, but again, that's months away.

I'm torn between that and continuing to research for a physical product to adapt and sell online, as it seems a little more straight-forward. Any insight would be awesome!

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Hi
I’m in a position where I have quit my job and started studying to unlock time for a fastlane project but the problem is the lack of motivation to execute the idea I have.

When I was trapped with a 9-5 job I had more motivation then I have now, which is a pretty F*cking stupid problem to have. The cause for this could be that deep down I don’t know if my idea sucks or not and it could be a waste of time and energy to develop it.

The idea is to create a marketplace for a niche that I have experience from. The problem is that there is competition and to be able to beat the competition, or at least end up on the same level as they are at now I will have to work my a$$ off at least half a year (programming the site). And then I will need to do the marketing for it and so on. I’m guessing I won’t sell anything for at least a year.

So my question to you is when do you know you have an idea that is worth walking in the desert of desertion for?

I mean shit, I have even bought the domain for the marketplace.. Just don’t get any motivation when I think about the shitload of work that will be needed to execute this business. Any tips for that?

Can you redo this and break it down into bullet points?
I want to see what problems you see.

D

Deleted50669

I'm going to post from the perspective of someone who hasn't made it yet, but now has a better understanding of the process.

You will not succeed until you stop asking questions and start taking action. Your speculation is utterly worthless. It doesn't impact your customers. It doesn't create value. Your fear of failure is your barrier. You have to embrace the shitwalk knowing that the first few times, it will likely end in failure.

Your goal right now should be to act, assess, and adjust, as MJ's book preaches. I am working to stand up a copywriting business. You know what that means? I have to practice copywriting and keep practicing until I stop sucking. I have to become an industry expert for my target market so I can write competently. I have to interview customers to see what their pain is with sales in this market. I have to consider what my brand identity will be (later). I have to figure out what tangential services will add value to ad creation. I have to fail, a lot, to get to my first sale.

The fact that you have experience in your target niche is a leg-up in the process. The question you need to ask right now is a) where will this knowledge add value? and b) How am I going to turn this knowledge into value? ... Then DO it.

- Cheers

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Dollar shave club started by going door to door selling razors. He didn't sit down for three months building a marketplace and a cool logo.
He went on in person and walked from door to door till he had his first 1,000 customers. Think how many doors that was.

Start right now helping someone. Get your service out there and get real feedback. When you need the marketplace then build it.

If you can't do it 1-on-1 to start it wont ever scale cause you wont stick with it. Fact.

It doesn't have to be in person but you do start small and get going.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi

When you get hungry enough, you'll get motivated. BUT, by then you're too late -- because you'll be illogically desperate. (People don't do their best work when they're truly hungry.) I like to break down the tasks into bite sized steps, and complete them consistently day by day. I know -- boring, but true. There's just nothing exciting nor sexy about doing the daily process work. That's why work is a 4 letter word.

Just a silly little question -- Now that you're unemployed, who is paying your bills and taking care of you while you're out there finding yourself and contemplating your belly button? Do something, man! Life can be summed up as simply a series of choices...

MR_T

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 4, 2015
Sweden
Thanks for all replies! Has been a lot of tough love but I’m getting more motivated now that I could share these issues and getting some feedback!
I guess the risk of failure part is a part of the entrepreneur game. I just got to get my unmotivated a$$ out of the couch and start executing.

Can you redo this and break it down into bullet points?
I want to see what problems you see.

Well I see the following potential problems:
* The products don’t sell shit and I have wasted at least half a year on a bullshit idea
* I fear that the niche is too small which means that the marketplace will not scale -> No fastlane. But this is only speculation on my part, it could be a gold mine aswell
* That I will loose the motivation half way through the project as I have done with earlier projects and that all that work will be in vain or another half-a$$ attempt

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

MR_T

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 4, 2015
Sweden
When you get hungry enough, you'll get motivated. BUT, by then you're too late -- because you'll be illogically desperate. (People don't do their best work when they're truly hungry.) I like to break down the tasks into bite sized steps, and complete them consistently day by day. I know -- boring, but true. There's just nothing exciting nor sexy about doing the daily process work. That's why work is a 4 letter word.

Just a silly little question -- Now that you're unemployed, who is paying your bills and taking care of you while you're out there finding yourself and contemplating your belly button? Do something, man! Life can be summed up as simply a series of choices...

You are right, now is a perfect opportunity to start executing and not later when the student loans dry up (which answers the question of how I pay the bills now).
I’m an experienced web developer so was thinking of doing part time freelancing when I stop studying to be able to keep executing the fastlane.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Thanks for all replies! Has been a lot of tough love but I’m getting more motivated now that I could share these issues and getting some feedback!
I guess the risk of failure part is a part of the entrepreneur game. I just got to get my unmotivated a$$ out of the couch and start executing.

Well I see the following potential problems:
* The products don’t sell shit and I have wasted at least half a year on a bullshit idea
* I fear that the niche is too small which means that the marketplace will not scale -> No fastlane. But this is only speculation on my part, it could be a gold mine aswell
* That I will loose the motivation half way through the project as I have done with earlier projects and that all that work will be in vain or another half-a$$ attempt

The tough love hasn't even started yet.

Okay so then quitting our job prematurely is not a problem. You don't have any responsibilities?

I don't know what your asking for here.
No one is going to do this for you.
No one is going to tell you how brave or brilliant you are.
No one is going to give you a hug.

Stop working on the business.
Get working in the business.
Sell something.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
Hi

It sounds like you're just not that interested in what you're doing. I get that looking up at the top of the mountain from where you are now can seem daunting, but that should really be worrying you into doing something, rather than feeling like you can't be bothered.

If I were you, I'd either go into something else that you find atleast quite interesting or just apologise to your boss and try to get your old job back.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
When I ignore someone I still check their posts from time to time...
I just un-ignored you for this.

I'm going to post from the perspective of someone who hasn't made it yet, but now has a better understanding of the process.

You will not succeed until you stop asking questions and start taking action. Your speculation is utterly worthless. It doesn't impact your customers. It doesn't create value. Your fear of failure is your barrier. You have to embrace the shitwalk knowing that the first few times, it will likely end in failure.

Your goal right now should be to act, assess, and adjust, as MJ's book preaches. I am working to stand up a copywriting business. You know what that means? I have to practice copywriting and keep practicing until I stop sucking. I have to become an industry expert for my target market so I can write competently. I have to interview customers to see what their pain is with sales in this market. I have to consider what my brand identity will be (later). I have to figure out what tangential services will add value to ad creation. I have to fail, a lot, to get to my first sale.

The fact that you have experience in your target niche is a leg-up in the process. The question you need to ask right now is a) where will this knowledge add value? and b) How am I going to turn this knowledge into value? ... Then DO it.

- Cheers

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Checkout your competition, are they making money? You can to

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So I still didn't quite understand your problem but this is basically what I think I read.

I have this idea for a business, it may or may not be better than the competition, I may have to market the crap out of it to get sales, it may take 1.5 years before I see any results, I don't think it's worth it to work that long to find out.

I would scrap the idea because you will never get there.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
The scathing has not been as bad as I thought based on that initial post.

I am with @jon.a on this one? Did you quit your job to pursue this and are still not motivated to get off the couch and do whatever is necessary to start bringing in income?

It sounds like to me you are either not mature enough yet or are not in a position where you care to make this happen. I've been there before, but have made sure to keep a job in the meantime. I would recommend you either get that job back or get another one that will help you gain marketable skills for future business ventures.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Just don’t get any motivation when I think about the shitload of work that will be needed to execute this business. Any tips for that?
#1 - If you commit to this, break down the larger project into smaller tasks. I write one topic at a time when I write my book, I don't focus on the whole thing because it leads to overwhelm.

#2 - Why are you doing this? What is your purpose? What is your mission? Do you have the burning desire in your heart to do anything to make this succeed?

#3 - What motivates you to do anything in life? I made a post recently about motivational strategies and how to tap into yours. It provides the structure behind finding your own (what works for you may not work for another person).

I tap into my psychic abilities and float forward into the future to see where I am in 3 years. Looking back from there, it provides a much better answer than looking forward in time. Because from the future, you already have the clarity and confidence you're looking for.

I have even bought the domain
Well, I mean, you already went this far...it might be too late to back down now. You're already committed.

Just teasing...

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK

Well, I mean, you already went this far...it might be too late to back down now. You're already committed.

Just teasing...

Haha! That's what I was thinking? Domain names are like $10?

MR_T

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 4, 2015
Sweden
The scathing has not been as bad as I thought based on that initial post.

I am with @jon.a on this one? Did you quit your job to pursue this and are still not motivated to get off the couch and do whatever is necessary to start bringing in income?

It sounds like to me you are either not mature enough yet or are not in a position where you care to make this happen. I've been there before, but have made sure to keep a job in the meantime. I would recommend you either get that job back or get another one that will help you gain marketable skills for future business ventures.

Well I quit my job to pursue the fastlane this summer and was motivated the first months. Before I quit my job I purchased a site on Flippa which I put the first months work on.. On that site I sell my own niched wordpress themes and I also do some affiliate theme selling through it. But that site has been a real disappointment when it comes to producing income and that has contributed to kill my motivation for the next "real" fastlane project which is the aforementioned marketplace.. (Cry me a F*cking river, right?)

But F*ck no, I ain't going back to the 9-5 job and I'm mature enough to understand that I have limited amount of time to kick-start the fastlane. I mean, I have already bought the domain so I have to continue right? ;)

MR_T

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 4, 2015
Sweden
#1 - If you commit to this, break down the larger project into smaller tasks. I write one topic at a time when I write my book, I don't focus on the whole thing because it leads to overwhelm.

#2 - Why are you doing this? What is your purpose? What is your mission? Do you have the burning desire in your heart to do anything to make this succeed?

#3 - What motivates you to do anything in life? I made a post recently about motivational strategies and how to tap into yours. It provides the structure behind finding your own (what works for you may not work for another person).

I tap into my psychic abilities and float forward into the future to see where I am in 3 years. Looking back from there, it provides a much better answer than looking forward in time. Because from the future, you already have the clarity and confidence you're looking for.

Just teasing...

Haha, how did you obtain those psychic abilities? Would be really helpful to see the future ;)

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Well I quit my job to pursue the fastlane this summer and was motivated the first months. Before I quit my job I purchased a site on Flippa which I put the first months work on.. On that site I sell my own niched wordpress themes and I also do some affiliate theme selling through it. But that site has been a real disappointment when it comes to producing income and that has contributed to kill my motivation for the next "real" fastlane project which is the aforementioned marketplace.. (Cry me a F*cking river, right?)

But F*ck no, I ain't going back to the 9-5 job and I'm mature enough to understand that I have limited amount of time to kick-start the fastlane. I mean, I have already bought the domain so I have to continue right?

Haha, that made me laugh regarding the domain.

I don't know if you are pulling my leg with that comment and if I am to take you seriously?

You've read both the books, so you must have a good understanding that "fastlane" businesses may not potentially take off as soon as you expect? Are you in a position that you will be able to support yourself while you do "kick-start" your fastlane business.

I do think that if your motivation has been "killed" and you are hesitant to play full out with that next fastlane project, you should really take a step back and think about what your next move is.

I wish you all the best man, ask better questions of the true players on this forum and you will get the insights that will save you an immense amount of time and effort.

MR_T

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 4, 2015
Sweden
Haha, that made me laugh regarding the domain.

I don't know if you are pulling my leg with that comment and if I am to take you seriously?

You've read both the books, so you must have a good understanding that "fastlane" businesses may not potentially take off as soon as you expect? Are you in a position that you will be able to support yourself while you do "kick-start" your fastlane business.

I do think that if your motivation has been "killed" and you are hesitant to play full out with that next fastlane project, you should really take a step back and think about what your next move is.

I wish you all the best man, ask better questions of the true players on this forum and you will get the insights that will save you an immense amount of time and effort.

Sorry for the late response Dunkafelics, but I had a home exam to finish so had no time to write a quality answer here.

Was joking about the domain but I'm serious regarding the fastlane pursuit.

Yes I've read both books and I know that it takes a time and a lot of hard work and failures to get there. And yes, I have no problems supporting myself during the "kick-start" phase, thank the gods for student loans!

Even if I read that failure is part of the process in MJ's books, I did not really understand it until the period after this summer with no sales. Now that I've gained perspective on it and processed it mentally, I've realized that failure ACTUALLY IS PART of the process.

Will continue the grit and have created a progress thread here: Progress Thread - Viking quest - The search for the golden market [Progress thread]

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Sorry for the late response Dunkafelics, but I had a home exam to finish so had no time to write a quality answer here.

Was joking about the domain but I'm serious regarding the fastlane pursuit.

Yes I've read both books and I know that it takes a time and a lot of hard work and failures to get there. And yes, I have no problems supporting myself during the "kick-start" phase, thank the gods for student loans!

Even if I read that failure is part of the process in MJ's books, I did not really understand it until the period after this summer with no sales. Now that I've gained perspective on it and processed it mentally, I've realized that failure ACTUALLY IS PART of the process.

Will continue the grit and have created a progress thread here: Progress Thread - Viking quest - The search for the golden market [Progress thread]
Swedish student loan that is I presume? Which is quite another thing the American thing. But still a loan..

MR_T

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 4, 2015
Sweden
Swedish student loan that is I presume? Which is quite another thing the American thing. But still a loan..

Yes, the Swedish student loan is a government financed low-interest loan which is way more friendly than regular private banking loans. But as you point out, it is still a loan and I’m very aware of that fact [emoji6] But it is a calculated risk that I'm willing to take.

Last edited:

Max Gambit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 12, 2017
USA
Trust your instincts
If it feels right, it feels right. Most successful entrepreneurs were told to stop at some point in their lives, but they didn’t. You might get a lot of nos, specially from investors, but you keep on going because you’re really passionate about what you do and you believe in it. You just need to make sure it’s not complete non-sense – but even if it is, you’ll test it and if it doesn’t work out, you’ll just move on to building something else.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013

The fact you asked this is all you need to know.

Switch the idea away from business and to a potential spouse.

So my question to you is when do you know you have an girlfriend that is worth walking in the desert of desertion for?

I mean shit, I have even bought the
ring for the proposal.. Just don’t get any motivation when I think about the shitload of work that will be needed to execute this marriage. Any tips for that?

See what I did there? It should all be clear to you now that you shouldn't be doing this ( marriage or business ). You're gonna end up in divorce.

Those of you that are single might not understand. Those of you that have been/are married will understand completely. If it's not a HELL YES, then just don't do it.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.