The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WhatsApp and the likes

absolomon

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 12, 2019
Monterey, CA
So I have a business idea for an app that could mainly be used for communication with military personnel and department of defense workers. Along with messaging there would be a few other features essential to military operations. With that being said I was curious as to how apps like WhatsApp and messenger apps monetize their apps without charging people for it. I did a quick search on the forum and didn’t find much info on it. Any help would be appreciated and even feedback on this idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
My uneducated guess is they don't. Both belong to Facebook. Conversations in WhatsApp are supposedly encrypted so that wouldn't let them pick up data to show ads I think. Messenger isn't encrypted so that could be how. But again, I don't think that Facebook has a pressing need to monetize them.

Icecreamchild

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 13, 2019
So I have a business idea for an app that could mainly be used for communication with military personnel and department of defense workers. Along with messaging there would be a few other features essential to military operations. With that being said I was curious as to how apps like WhatsApp and messenger apps monetize their apps without charging people for it. I did a quick search on the forum and didn’t find much info on it. Any help would be appreciated and even feedback on this idea.

Facebook didn't make a single dollar to date from WhatsApp.

pawon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 4, 2018
Probably the only option you have is to directly charge for it in one way or the other (monthly, for certain upgrades, etc).

Off topic... I was thinking about Whatsapp the other day.. even with encrypted messages .. they still learn A LOT about you.

- who you have contact with
- at what time you are online
- how often you have contact with who
- where you are (based on ip)
- etc

They are probably able to draw out a map of most of the world population with all inter-connections, friends, family, business related contacts .. they can probably figure all that out quite accurately with all the meta data they collect.

Plus combine all that with Facebook data. It's scary.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
My guess is you can find some clues in their financial disclosures/filings.

I think they used to charge like $1 a year or something like if I remember correctly.

The problem is consumers behavior here, most people don't like paying for something like this. Hell even I don't like giving out my credit card info even if its a free trial. Because then I have to call and cancel or maybe get charged something I didn't expect.

I think most of the valuation that went into WhatsApp was its potential for monetization. "Hey its has millions of users, you can add ads or subscriptions later on!"

But in my opinion WhatsApp being bought by Facebook was the worst thing that could have happened to it. I don't trust nor like Facebook and my guess is many others don't either.

I think there are huge opportunities in the privacy/niche/messaging app industry because big internet companies are not very good imo.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
My uneducated guess is they don't. Both belong to Facebook. Conversations in WhatsApp are supposedly encrypted so that wouldn't let them pick up data to show ads I think.

Wrong. Sure, the conversation may be end-to-end encrypted... but who holds the encryption keys? Besides, while worry about trying to decrypt users' conversations when you have access to pretty much their entire life?

Facebook didn't make a single dollar to date from WhatsApp.

Very very wrong. Sure, they've certainly not recouped their investment yet... but they're certainly making some dough from WhatsApp. How?

1. Limited Ads: They've been test-running ads on some users' status updates for over a year now. I've personally seen this in the wild.

2. Big Data: Facebook is selling user behavioural data directly to big data brokerages, and using the data to enrich their own adverting platform. This, in particular, is the reason WhatsApp co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger gave for resigning from Facebook about 8 months before the expiration of their contracts, forfeiting $1.3B in doing so.

3. WhatsApp Messaging API, akin to Bulk SMS Marketing. I'm currently testing this via Twilio, and pricing isn't cheap: cost for US/Canada is $0.0135 per templated message sent, which is nearly twice SMS sending which costs $0.0075.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.