The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are must have skills an entrepreneur needs in their toolbox?

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Hi,

First off, sorry if this has been asked before. I am a new member (just started today). I am extremely new to this type of lifestyle and so I have a lot to learn. The only skills I have are biology skills (know a lot about plants and ecosystems) and GIS (Geographic Information Systems). Although, I am like a novice in GIS. I know nothing about business, coding/programming, sales, marketing, networking, the stock market etc. Right now, I am in the knowledge acquisition stage. I still have not given much thought about ideas. Is it smart to learn skills in the above areas before you even know what it is you want to focus on? Do people usually pick an area they want to focus on and then learn all they can from that? I figure, learning all this stuff wouldn't hurt me. In fact, I may be able to use some of it later. Is this thinking a good mindset? And if it were you, what type of knowledge would you make your priority?

Thanks for the replies.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shortypants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 15, 2017
NL
Hi,

First off, sorry if this has been asked before. I am a new member (just started today). I am extremely new to this type of lifestyle and so I have a lot to learn. The only skills I have are biology skills (know a lot about plants and ecosystems) and GIS (Geographic Information Systems). Although, I am like a novice in GIS. I know nothing about business, coding/programming, sales, marketing, networking, the stock market etc. Right now, I am in the knowledge acquisition stage. I still have not given much thought about ideas. Is it smart to learn skills in the above areas before you even know what it is you want to focus on? Do people usually pick an area they want to focus on and then learn all they can from that? I figure, learning all this stuff wouldn't hurt me. In fact, I may be able to use some of it later. Is this thinking a good mindset? And if it were you, what type of knowledge would you make your priority?

Thanks for the replies.
Welcome man!
Did you read the book???

Shorty

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yea to be honest - if you have yet to read Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted , give them a read.

As far as skills - it's hard to say. What kept me back for so long was not having the correct mindset and strategy. Every skill I needed to learn, I did, when I needed to. The most important place for me to start was focusing on why I was becoming an entrepreneur and releasing my mindset from the crap I had been taught my whole life.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Shortypants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 15, 2017
NL
Sorry - I should have really said this too! Sales is the most important skill to have, even in life.
You sound like somebody who knows about sales.
Any advice on how to learn sales skills for newbies like me?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Create Products & Services
Learn how to identify problems in people's lives.
Learn how to create solutions to problems.

Sales

Learn how to articulate your solution to people so they buy your solution.

Marketing
Learn how to get in front of enough people with the problem.

Self-Awareness & Control of Your Behaviors
Learn how to be self-aware, how your mind works, how to balance emotions; and release limitations that hold you back from a behavioral perspective.

In 2017, it's so easy to get a website up and running with software, themes, payment processing, where these are important, but shouldn't take months to learn like it used to.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You sound like somebody who knows about sales.
Any advice on how to learn sales skills for newbies like me?

It honestly only took me about 6 months to truly learn the important fundamentals of sales. At first, it seems like this weird mysterious thing that people are either good at or not, the media makes it seem like a big adrenaline, testosterone fuelled competition , but it's not as complicated or intimidating as it seems. It's a system that can be learned, and needs to be viewed as a way of helping people find solutions to their problems.

I would start with books though - there are a ton. However my favourite are:

1) Sales EQ - Jeb Bluont
2) Fanatical Prospecting - Jeb Bluont
3) Sell Or Be Sold - Grant Cardone, although be wary he's not very systematic, however I like a lot of what he says about sales being important to life.
4) There's some great zig zigglar ones out there as well. I think Secrets of Closing the Sale is the biggest.

Shortypants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 15, 2017
NL
It honestly only took me about 6 months to truly learn the important fundamentals of sales. At first, it seems like this weird mysterious thing that people are either good at or not, the media makes it seem like a big adrenaline, testosterone fuelled competition , but it's not as complicated or intimidating as it seems. It's a system that can be learned, and needs to be viewed as a way of helping people find solutions to their problems.

I would start with books though - there are a ton. However my favourite are:

1) Sales EQ - Jeb Bluont
2) Fanatical Prospecting - Jeb Bluont
3) Sell Or Be Sold - Grant Cardone, although be wary he's not very systematic, however I like a lot of what he says about sales being important to life.
4) There's some great zig zigglar ones out there as well. I think Secrets of Closing the Sale is the biggest.
Thx man appreciate it big time!

Chef

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 9, 2016
Learn how to be self-aware, how your mind works, how to balance emotions; and release limitations that hold you back from a behavioral perspective.

In 2017, it's so easy to get a website up and running with software, themes, payment processing, where these are important, but shouldn't take months to learn like it used to.

I highly believe introspection is a must. Understanding why you're doing what you're doing, why you're thinking what you're thinking etc etc. What's the next move?

Learning and MASTERING to shift mental gears is a highly valuable skill. You'll be ready for any situation and/or problem that arises in your journey to freedom.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
All very good replies. I value your opinions very highly. I am beginning the CENTS section of TMF right now. So I am almost done. I ordered Unscripted last night. I suppose I need to explore my "why" some more. I need for it to really be defined and have it sink in. I've noticed lately I have been more aware of people and paying attention to them. Looking for ideas/needs of theirs. I have even become more friendly and outgoing. And this is something out of character for me. I am usually quiet and reserved. So, TMF has already got something going on in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Question related to Sales, how can you practice this skills when you are not necessarily into business yet?

Also what is the one book recommend reading for improving sales? Have read some classics like Cialdini Influence and mainstream best sellers.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Sales, problem solving, persuasion, customer service, abundance mindset, tenacity, fearlessness, humility...
This.

Create Products & Services
Learn how to identify problems in people's lives.
Learn how to create solutions to problems.

Sales

Learn how to articulate your solution to people so they buy your solution.

Marketing
Learn how to get in front of enough people with the problem.

And this.

From my experience, although putting time aside can be valuable in learning new skills, actually starting something AFTER you have identified a need will teach you a lot more in the long-run.

For example, someone planning to start an eCommerce brand will not put time aside to learn about paid advertising just because they want to or because it's a great skill to have (and it sure is), but because they HAVE to if they want to get any sales.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Question related to Sales, how can you practice this skills when you are not necessarily into business yet? Also what is the one book recommend reading for improving sales? Have read some classics like Cialdini Influence and mainstream best sellers.

Selling is life - it's corny to say, but you can use it with any person in your life. Whether it's your girlfriend, your siblings, your boss, your teachers, etc.

The best way to practice sales is to learn how to listen and better understand people, and what drives them, what personality type they are. You can even learn to read people's body language (there are lots of great books). 75% of sales is learning what's important to people, both through what they say and what they do. So I think a good start is learning emotional intelligence.

Again, Jeb Bluont's new book SALES EQ is a great start.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
START, FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL WELL.
GET BACK UP; FAIL SOME MORE; KEEP "Swinging" 1 out of 10 will work and its a numbers game. You will meet shady people and helpful people. Your social intelligence and social IQ will rise as you deal with more shit. Finally you will see the silver lining.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.