The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unsure of How I Should Be Spending My Time

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jun 12, 2019
I'm a 19/yo college student. I'm just started reading the Millionaire Fastlane since finding this forum a week or so ago.

I have 2 years left of college (studying finance, management, and accounting) and my ultimate goal/dream is to be able to avoid becoming employed after graduation by earning enough consistent income on my own that I (or my parents, to an extent) don't question my decision. Although I may end up having to work a job for a few years after college, I won't allow myself to waste my life working for someone else.

When I was younger, I sold some stuff on eBay by making my own small product until I ran out and could no longer produce the item cheap enough. It wasn't going to make me any good money, but it was a great experience for me at that age. I've had a few other small projects I've done, but that's all they were: small.

6 months ago I started learning how to make informational blog-type websites. I made one, but that mostly served as a way to learn the process, therefore I don't expect it to go far. I just started a new one that I'm spending my time working on now, but I'm unsure of it's potential. Writing articles is not my "forte" (I'm good at it, but I don't enjoy it much). That's just what I have myself working on at the moment (besides learning). I've also started buying things on Craigslist and LetGo and reselling on eBay to earn some extra money that I'm saving to use as a investment into other projects and business ideas, although I'm having trouble finding new items worth buying/selling.

Currently, I want to dive into something else other than writing blog posts that could be scaled, but I'm unsure of where to start. I'm unsure of how I should be spending my time currently and the direction I should head towards to find what I'm truly interested in pursuing.

Please Note: I'm not looking for a blueprint or an exact answer. I understand that this won't get me where I want. What I'm seeking is a suggestion of how I should consider spending my time, should I be totally focused on reading and learning, or point my focus toward something else?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex Love

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
May 21, 2019
Don't take this feedback too rough man, and I say this with care, but how the hell is anyone on this forum supposed to know where you need to go from here?

First of all, NEVER in your life should you be totally focused on reading. Like what would you even read? Reading should facilitate and complement ACTION. You shouldn't read unless you're moving first. That will determine what books you pick up. Books that immediately address the problems at hand. Problems you discovered by ACTING.

"I'm unsure of how I should be spending my time currently and the direction I should head towards to find what I'm truly interested in pursuing."--I really hope this doesn't mean what it sounds like. Hopefully by interested you meant "plan on". If you literally meant interested, wrong road. It isn't about what interests you. It's about what people need.

And maybe let go of what your parents think. If they are like 90% of parents, the entrepreneurial path will be frowned upon.

Bro you're 19. That's awesome. You have so much time. Just look through the world as a giant pool of opportunities. Don't like the way your phone dies too fast? Opportunity. Don't like how your shoe soles wear out too quickly? Opportunity. Don't like schoolbooks that are impossibly boring to read through? Opportunity. Finding ideas is easy because the world is infinitely imperfect.

The issue is you need to DECIDE to do something. Anything. As long as it addresses real needs. There is no possible way anyone here can tell you what that is. It's like asking, "which number between 0 and infinity should I choose...?".

Go read UNSCRIPTED if you want more clarity. But just do something.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jun 12, 2019
"I'm unsure of how I should be spending my time currently and the direction I should head towards to find what I'm truly interested in pursuing."--I really hope this doesn't mean what it sounds like. Hopefully by interested you meant "plan on". If you literally meant interested, wrong road. It isn't about what interests you. It's about what people need.
Yes, I did not phrase that like I intended to. "Planning on" is exactly what I meant. I don't plan on writing blog posts for my whole life. I'm very interested in fulfilling people's needs, it's what gets me exited, but not so much through blogging.

And maybe let go of what your parents think. If they are like 90% of parents, the entrepreneurial path will be frowned upon.

That's why I said "to an extent." I simply don't want them to completely dismiss the idea (if it's a good idea and things are going well, they won't completely dismiss it). I obviously expect them to doubt it, since they want a "stable" future.

Bro you're 19. That's awesome. You have so much time. Just look through the world as a giant pool of opportunities. Don't like the way your phone dies too fast? Opportunity. Don't like how your shoe soles wear out too quickly? Opportunity. Don't like schoolbooks that are impossibly boring to read through? Opportunity. Finding ideas is easy because the world is infinitely imperfect.

This is more what I was looking for. I need to analyze my life (and others) to find inconsistencies and problems that could be improved. This is how I'll be spending my time and build up some solid opportunities.

I appreciate the response!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.