The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time to Franchise?

Davel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 5, 2016
Phoenix
Hey all, sorry for the long post but here goes:

**First off, a disclaimer. This isn't meant to be a sales pitch for my business. If it comes across that way, please feel free to remove it or let me know and I'll change it up. I'm genuinely curious about what I'm asking.

I've posted only a couple of times in the past here, mostly about my business and it's progress. I started a small business in 2013 and have grown from a first year revenue of $7,000 to a 4th year revenue of over $80,000 and was even able to pay my self a salary of almost $50,000 (before taxes) this year.

Now that I feel like I've ironed out all the kinks and really nailed down a process for how the business runs, I want to start to look into franchising it, but don't know the first step into doing so! I have absolutely no idea what to charge for a franchise, royalties, legal aspects of it, if it's even the right time, literally absolutely nothing! I'm sure with all the great business minds on these forums, someone has to know someone who is a good franchising consultant, and that's really what I'm looking for.

A little about the business:
-It's a seasonal business: It's a total of about 6 weeks of VERY hands on, physical work, then takes a downturn for the rest of the year. So, it could have some appeal to someone who's looking for a good side gig that has the earning potential of a full-time job, or someone satisfied making between $50,000-$80,000 for only a couple months of work throughout the year.
-It almost immediately requires either hiring an employee, contracting some labor out in the busy times, or just going in on the business with more than 1 person. But overall, overhead is very low. I personally don't own any of the equipment I use, just rent it during the busy times, which is A LOT more cost effective in my case.
-It's pretty easy to replicate, which could be good because it's easy to scale, but also bad because of potential competition. However, I honestly feel like I have the process down better than any competitor I've come across.
-I feel like a potential franchiser could be making a profit of $40,000-$60,000 within 2 years of owning a franchise, just based on my experience. That's about where I was at after I really got serious and had it running correctly.

Thanks everyone, and I sincerely appreciate any advice you can give me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
I can't answer regarding franchising so this post may be useless to you.

Just wanted to say that you may want to look into other methods of selling this, like selling "a business in a box" where it's not franchised but it's a one time sale and done, or add in mentoring/coaching for more fees.

Or just sell the information on how you do what you do.

oldkevx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Nov 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Hey all, sorry for the long post but here goes:

**First off, a disclaimer. This isn't meant to be a sales pitch for my business. If it comes across that way, please feel free to remove it or let me know and I'll change it up. I'm genuinely curious about what I'm asking.

I've posted only a couple of times in the past here, mostly about my business and it's progress. I started a small business in 2013 and have grown from a first year revenue of $7,000 to a 4th year revenue of over $80,000 and was even able to pay my self a salary of almost $50,000 (before taxes) this year.

Now that I feel like I've ironed out all the kinks and really nailed down a process for how the business runs, I want to start to look into franchising it, but don't know the first step into doing so! I have absolutely no idea what to charge for a franchise, royalties, legal aspects of it, if it's even the right time, literally absolutely nothing! I'm sure with all the great business minds on these forums, someone has to know someone who is a good franchising consultant, and that's really what I'm looking for.

A little about the business:
-It's a seasonal business: It's a total of about 6 weeks of VERY hands on, physical work, then takes a downturn for the rest of the year. So, it could have some appeal to someone who's looking for a good side gig that has the earning potential of a full-time job, or someone satisfied making between $50,000-$80,000 for only a couple months of work throughout the year.
-It almost immediately requires either hiring an employee, contracting some labor out in the busy times, or just going in on the business with more than 1 person. But overall, overhead is very low. I personally don't own any of the equipment I use, just rent it during the busy times, which is A LOT more cost effective in my case.
-It's pretty easy to replicate, which could be good because it's easy to scale, but also bad because of potential competition. However, I honestly feel like I have the process down better than any competitor I've come across.
-I feel like a potential franchiser could be making a profit of $40,000-$60,000 within 2 years of owning a franchise, just based on my experience. That's about where I was at after I really got serious and had it running correctly.

Thanks everyone, and I sincerely appreciate any advice you can give me.

I'd be happy to hop on a skype call with you and lend my expertise. I'm not a franchise consultant...there's a place for those people in the world.

I've been part of a team who built and sold a couple of franchise brands and speak a lot about replicable business systems.

Most recently, my company has helped a couple of companies expand via a business in a box system. Neither were structured as franchises. They have used licensing and subscriptions.

The offer is open if you'd like to talk more about it. Lots of variables.

Davel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 5, 2016
Phoenix
I'd be happy to hop on a skype call with you and lend my expertise. I'm not a franchise consultant...there's a place for those people in the world.

I've been part of a team who built and sold a couple of franchise brands and speak a lot about replicable business systems.

Most recently, my company has helped a couple of companies expand via a business in a box system. Neither were structured as franchises. They have used licensing and subscriptions.

The offer is open if you'd like to talk more about it. Lots of variables.
Hey that'd be awesome! I'm currently in my "6 weeks of very demanding work" right now, so once that ends I'll reach out to you! Thanks!

You and the poster above both mentioned "business in a box". I've never heard of that. Is it basically just a franchise but only one other location instead of multiple locations?

Davel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 5, 2016
Phoenix
I can't answer regarding franchising so this post may be useless to you.

Just wanted to say that you may want to look into other methods of selling this, like selling "a business in a box" where it's not franchised but it's a one time sale and done, or add in mentoring/coaching for more fees.

Or just sell the information on how you do what you do.
What is a "business in a box"? I've never heard of that before.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
I'd just take up @oldkevx on his offer and understand it there.

Biz in a box is not a franchise. You control nothing of what the person who buys the business does with it. Once it is sold, the transaction is done. They don't owe you any more and you dont get any more funds from them or have any say in what they do.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Franchising is not an easy road for the franchisor, mainly due to regulations that must be very carefully followed. The USA is a nightmare, but Canada is worse IMO. Check out this article and I suspect that you will abandon the idea of franchising: Franchise Regulation | FranchiseDirect.com

If you do want to go down the franchising route, consider whether your system would work in the UK where regulations are much easier to handle. Comparatively trouble free.

The idea of a business in a box is a good alternative, provided you avoid any action that could result in the transaction being defined as establishing a franchisor/franchisee relationship. For example: An operations manual that must be followed, a brand, logo, or business name or advertising design that must be used, required sourcing of equipment or other supplies from specified sourcing, or payment of royalties (even if disguised).

Although I have the experience of having franchised my importing business in four countries, I was relieved to sell the highly profitable business after my heart surgery made it impossible to carry on. My medical advisers think the stress of operating the franchise network was a contributing factor in necessitating the emergency surgery.

I am not providing legal advice.

Walter

FranchiseMetoo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 23, 2017
San Diego, CA
Find an expert franchise developer who can help you franchise your business and expand your profits. My friend in San Diego who is a successful business owner have used the service of The Franchise Maker company. They assisted him and helped him sell franchises throughout the United States.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.