The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The total money makeover

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Dave's introductory stuff is actually great. Live within your means. Save money and eventually create an emergency fund of 6-8 months salary. I also always liked the debt snowball. Does paying off higher-interest debt make more sense? Sure. But if you're in a hole, I like the idea of quickly paying off small debt to gain momentum. He's the reason I even knew what an emergency fund was and why it was critical.

But that was 10 years ago.

Those basic tenets have morphed into a monster designed to separate you from your money. The live events, the books, the online subscriptions and tools.

If you need to get out of debt and learn to live within your means, Dave is good stuff and all the advice you need to do that you'll find for free. Any of Jack Bogle's books are similarly good for that topic. (Check out 'Bogleheads Guide to Investing')

Outside of those basics, his investment strategy is total slowlane. Live by Dave's word when you start, but then rapidly transition to guidance you find in something like TMF or Unscripted .

-PM

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
His book Total Money Makeover I think is the best in terms of laying out actionable steps and a plan to follow on how to handle your money on a basic personal finance foundation level. So pretty much 90% of the population would benefit.

It helped me focus on basic things and get out of debt. It really is defense side of money, which is important but can only help so much. For people overwhelmed with debt, payments on everything, the book will take you through it.

After the controlling your spending and getting out of debt, it does feel a bit of guru stuff in that Dave himself has amassed his wealth through his real estate business and book/self help business. Which he never goes into.

Eventually realize it is the income side that is the key, hence an Unscripted and Millionaire Fastlane mindset being more life changing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Live by Dave's word when you start, but then rapidly transition to guidance you find in something like TMF or Unscripted .

In other words, you get started by listening to what Dave SAYS, but you finish a winner by watching what Dave DOES.

His book Total Money Makeover I think is the best in terms of laying out actionable steps and a plan to follow on how to handle your money on a basic personal finance foundation level. So pretty much 90% of the population would benefit.

If one cannot succeed a slowlane (which requires discipline) then they won't succeed a Fastlane, Unscripted pursuit.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
There are a lot of great things about Dave.

But I disagree on a few things.

Like where he says you shouldn't have a FICO score.

Now, I hate the FICO score, I think its an inaccurate measurement of wealth and predictor of success.

But look at how our financial system has adopted it to things where you are not even borrowing money.

Hell, in the US you need a FICO score to open a Bank account, rent an apartment, get a job, and even get insurance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.