The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The good, the bad, and the ugly parts of business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I’ve thought about making a post like this many times over the last few months. Every time I’ve decided not to either because I didn’t feel like it would be helpful or because I wasn’t sure how it would come across. I’ve come to the point where I have to get it out. If it helps someone great, if it gets buried in the forum never to be seen again then that’s fine too. So... here goes.

Sometimes being an entrepreneur SUCKS! Yes, I said it. Owning a business isn’t what you think it will be when you start, when you are 6 months in, or even when you are multiple years in. Sometimes it just straight up sucks.

I thought by this time in my business journey it would be smooth sailing. I have spent years tweaking my sites and processes. I’ve got things dialed in that allow me to work much more efficiently, and yet somehow things still manage to go off the rails.

The last few months have been quite tough on me because of my business.

I had to fire someone who I thought would be an employee for years to come.

One of my websites was losing multiple thousands per month and I had to pull the plug until I have time to figure out what is wrong and fix it.

A business venture that I started in January that I thought was going to be bringing in 15-20k a month in profits by now is looking like I won’t see anything out of it for multiple years.

I am currently carrying 100k in business debt mainly on credit cards.

All of this and more has happened in the last few months and all of it could have been avoided had I simply been working a 9-5. Business isn’t for everyone. Taking risks might not be for you. Making the right decisions despite not liking the consequences is a hard pill to swallow. Having no one to blame anything on when things go south is tough.

I’ve been doing this for a decent number of years. I haven’t held a regular job in 4-5 years but sometimes even I wonder if it is all worth it.

Sometimes it will SUCK. Sometimes there is plenty of bad and plenty of ugly that you have to wade through and hope to find the good on the other side. As I wade through my bad and ugly time right now I just want to say... keep on wading.

When that time comes in your business will you go back to the safety of a 9-5 or will you walk faster and work harder to get through it?

I hesitated making this post as I really love to encourage people to start or continue on their entrepreneurial journey, but honestly... parts of that journey will suck.

It is just as important to know that going in as it is to know the freedom that owning a business can bring.

(Don’t take the above as a sign that I’m quiting anytime soon. I’m certainly not, but sometimes... I wonder if it’s really worth all the work.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gutski

我很快乐!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 9, 2018
Switzerland, Thun
Thank you for your honest post. It definitely scares me to take all these risks. But it‘s good to know the bad as well. Nevertheless, I‘m f***ing scared as hell by the awful corporate life. It‘s a golden cage, a toxic pill. I know a lot of honest elderly guys who have served for many years but are treated like sh**. You can do whatever you want with them as they will never find another job because of their age. 9-5 can be as risky or even riskier than entrepreneurship.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
I’ve thought about making a post like this many times over the last few months. Every time I’ve decided not to either because I didn’t feel like it would be helpful or because I wasn’t sure how it would come across. I’ve come to the point where I have to get it out. If it helps someone great, if it gets buried in the forum never to be seen again then that’s fine too. So... here goes.

Sometimes being an entrepreneur SUCKS! Yes, I said it. Owning a business isn’t what you think it will be when you start, when you are 6 months in, or even when you are multiple years in. Sometimes it just straight up sucks.

I thought by this time in my business journey it would be smooth sailing. I have spent years tweaking my sites and processes. I’ve got things dialed in that allow me to work much more efficiently, and yet somehow things still manage to go off the rails.

The last few months have been quite tough on me because of my business.

I had to fire someone who I thought would be an employee for years to come.

One of my websites was losing multiple thousands per month and I had to pull the plug until I have time to figure out what is wrong and fix it.

A business venture that I started in January that I thought was going to be bringing in 15-20k a month in profits by now is looking like I won’t see anything out of it for multiple years.

I am currently carrying 100k in business debt mainly on credit cards.

All of this and more has happened in the last few months and all of it could have been avoided had I simply been working a 9-5. Business isn’t for everyone. Taking risks might not be for you. Making the right decisions despite not liking the consequences is a hard pill to swallow. Having no one to blame anything on when things go south is tough.

I’ve been doing this for a decent number of years. I haven’t held a regular job in 4-5 years but sometimes even I wonder if it is all worth it.

Sometimes it will SUCK. Sometimes there is plenty of bad and plenty of ugly that you have to wade through and hope to find the good on the other side. As I wade through my bad and ugly time right now I just want to say... keep on wading.

When that time comes in your business will you go back to the safety of a 9-5 or will you walk faster and work harder to get through it?

I hesitated making this post as I really love to encourage people to start or continue on their entrepreneurial journey, but honestly... parts of that journey will suck.

It is just as important to know that going in as it is to know the freedom that owning a business can bring.

(Don’t take the above as a sign that I’m quiting anytime soon. I’m certainly not, but sometimes... I wonder if it’s really worth all the work.)
Friend, you want the rose without the thorns!!!
Please look for a money tree with the right thorns. :cool:

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

sometimes... I wonder if it’s really worth all the work

That's a question everyone will have to answer for themselves at some point.

I'd be lying if I hadn't ever thought about working up to become a high-wage employee instead of going out on my own.

...but then realized who's really in control in that situation. Not me, but my employer.

Entrepreneurship despite the ups and downs has been the most liberating choice I've made. By comparison to someone my age, I'd be compelled to attend college, consumed by debt and doubt, resorted to drinking on weekends.

That said, it's also an oxymoron. The "freedom of entrepreneurship" was enticing, but only possible at a certain point. It's clear that your business demands more from you at this point.

But...

Why not think of having your business work for YOU,
Instead of you working for your business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
It's like trying to get ripped but being afraid of going to the gym and exercising your a$$ off. If you want results you've got to do the work and sacrifice comfort.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.