The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taking Breaks to Grow, Forgiving myself

Anything related to matters of the mind

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey everyone! JP here,

I've noticed with myself along the journey I've taken in the past 2 years.

This is a behavior I've observed myself and am trying to understand how to squeeze myself into being more productive. I am working 8-9 hours a day at work from 6am to 4pm including commute, even though it is a pretty lax job at the moment its still a 'workplace' environment.

Then when I come home I try to pound out 5 hours of work from 7 to 12ish for my business and entrepreneurship ideas. On top of that I work over the weekends 8-12 hours trying to get something done.

Now I've noticed that my productivity and how much 'work' is actually done comes and goes in waves. I usually write a checklist of 5-10 things the night before. Some days I get everything done and I have to write down even more stuff to keep going.

Other days I struggle to complete 1 thing and I keep getting pulled into this rut of sitting on my desk and trying to start and just jumping around and browsing and doing things on my phone instead of actually being hyper focused and doing things.

I've noticed that the days I'm productive are side by side then they gradually change to that nonproductive phase. I feel myself in the past 2 days I've been in that state. When I'm in that state of mind I actually get angry at the end of the day and I lash out on small things because I felt like I got nothing done.

What I've noticed gets me back on the work train faster is what I've done a few times in the past few weeks. Is forgiving myself, telling myself its ok to not produce every day. I actually step away from all of my machines and devices and just play board games with my kids and watch tv with my wife for a day or 2 without feeling the obligation to do something. Then the day comes where I feel its over with, I produce so much more the next 2-3 days than if I tried to push through and complete stuff.

So I've learned to forgive myself, taking a day or 2 off is ok in the long run. In fact it might be even better. I know this is a pretty common quote but its all about pacing.. It’s a 'marathon' not a 'sprint' make sure you take your breaks as you need and listen to your 'body and mind'. If you can't produce at the same rate as normal it might be because you need to step away from it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
Well, I certainly can agree with that and I think I'm not the only one one this forum who recognizes this.

What's the point in doing things when you're not focused enough to get quality done. Just sitting on my desk cause I feel guilty leads to action faking.

It's important to set goals and keep track of them. Working with to do lists and keep the end goal in mind.

Once in a while you don't feel like it and you've got to reset. No shame in it to pick up a book, taking a walk or watch Family Guy for a while. Just to take your mind of everything work related.

If you have a goal, a purpose you really want to achieve, you'll get back to work soon enough.

Most people who didn't set goals don't get back to work and stay on the couch.

For the feeling guilty part, I have that too but when I look back on my track record I see that I don't have to and are on my way. And that's exactly what keeps me from getting lured into not doing anything at all.

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
Maybe you should try a day of the rest every week.It isnt a coincidence that most cultures had a day of rest in which people relaxed and didnt work as hard.

I have also found reducing food intake for a day energizes you for the rest of the week.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Maybe you should try a day of the rest every week.It isnt a coincidence that most cultures had a day of rest in which people relaxed and didnt work as hard.

I have also found reducing food intake for a day energizes you for the rest of the week.

Yup,

I'm starting to notice that there is a balance between time off and not stressing about what you need to do and trying to strain yourself and finish work.

It's really a major mental shift once you realize it and notice your results improve.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

I agree that minor fasting boosts cognitive acuity. I looked into it and the digestive process interrupts critical thinking processes. One the weekends I'll eat breakfast and go the rest of the day without food so I can have massive blocks of productivity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.