The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a wishlist website/app?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Alexandra91zk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 26, 2019
Hi,

I'd like to start a wishlist website or application. I make lists all the time and as a good capitalist, have a huge list of things I want to buy which grows everyday, from browsing TikTok and Instagram (actually sounds kinda sad being said like this). Anyways.

I haven't been able to find the perfect app or website for evergrowing need of making lists AND wishlists, and it's driving me crazy.

My idea is to go a bit further into collaborative birthday, baby shower lists and so on, and being able to purchase directly from that list thanks to add-ons or browser extensions.

This is absolutely more of a side hustle than a fastlane idea since I want to do this mostly for myself, I just want to have wishlists on my phone that aren't Pinterest boards or iPhone sticky notes.

I'd still like to make a few bucks from it, but I don't know how.

I have seen a few websites like this that seem to be thriving, but that are free and that are also ad-free, and so I've been wondering how they make money.

This website, for example : Milirose : créer une liste de cadeaux en ligne gratuitement. It's French, and it's been around for years. I looked the CEO up and it seems like his main activity. So how does he make money from it, with no ads? Partnerships, maybe? Anybody has an idea ?

I'm also not a developer, so I was looking into Wix or Wordpress to build this, but it seems like this would require actual development. Any ideas?

And also if you think that's a terrible idea, do share.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
It's not a bad idea. If you want to execute it well, with new features the competition lacks, cross-platform as an app + website + browser addon etc., and you want to attract users -- it will take major investment into development and marketing. I'd find a partner that could do the technical aspects, and/or someone willing to invest into the project early.

Alexandra91zk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 26, 2019
It's not a bad idea. If you want to execute it well, with new features the competition lacks, cross-platform as an app + website + browser addon etc., and you want to attract users -- it will take major investment into development and marketing. I'd find a partner that could do the technical aspects, and/or someone willing to invest into the project early.

Thank you for the feedback.
those are valid points except that like I said, I was hoping to start this merely as a side hustle, since I'm still working at the moment. So I wanted to do everything myself, from marketing to development.

Do you think it's possible to develop something like this as a non-developer? What about platforms like Wix or Wordpress?

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
those are valid points except that like I said, I was hoping to start this merely as a side hustle, since I'm still working at the moment. So I wanted to do everything myself, from marketing to development.

Do you think it's possible to develop something like this as a non-developer? What about platforms like Wix or Wordpress?
I don't think so, but one way to start could be making the landing page. The page describing / illustrating what your application will be able to solve for users and how they can access it / sign up.

Usually you start with a product and then you market it, but you can do it the opposite way.

If you design the product based on a landing page that shows high interest from users, you have valuable feedback before you start developing the app. This way you can see what features are actually requested, and how you will need to do to develop them.

Djioul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 12, 2021
France

Hey @Alexandra91zk ,

I'm not sure but a platform like Bubble might be helpful. It's a "no-code" web app builder.
Have a look there but I just looked at the Milirose website and it doesn't seem to be super complicated. I've just finished playing around with Bubble to check what it is possible to do, and it looks quite powerful and easy to use.

Alexandra91zk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 26, 2019
I don't think so, but one way to start could be making the landing page. The page describing / illustrating what your application will be able to solve for users and how they can access it / sign up.

Usually you start with a product and then you market it, but you can do it the opposite way.

If you design the product based on a landing page that shows high interest from users, you have valuable feedback before you start developing the app. This way you can see what features are actually requested, and how you will need to do to develop them.

Yes, maybe it makes sense to make a landing page first and see the engagement.
I've always been scared to do this — and I think even MJ talks about this in one of the books — coming forward with an unfinished product and building it as it goes. It sounds weird to possibly gain publicity for something that's unfinished, and then you have to find funding (if you need to).

I guess that's something I never considered for those reasons but I know a lot of people have been recommending it, indeed.

Alexandra91zk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 26, 2019
Hey @Alexandra91zk ,

I'm not sure but a platform like Bubble might be helpful. It's a "no-code" web app builder.
Have a look there but I just looked at the Milirose website and it doesn't seem to be super complicated. I've just finished playing around with Bubble to check what it is possible to do, and it looks quite powerful and easy to use.

Yes I've heard of Bubble! I heard they also have Bubble Coaches to help you design your website but idk if that's worth it.
The milirose website looks super easy for sure. i don't think they've used any CMS though.
Thanks, I'll have a look at Bubble :smile2:

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
I think that you should research the market and flesh out and test your ideas first. There are a lot of simple wishlist apps and few complex ones - maybe shared editing and collaboration is too complex and no one will use it?

Alexandra91zk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 26, 2019
I think that you should research the market and flesh out and test your ideas first. There are a lot of simple wishlist apps and few complex ones - maybe shared editing and collaboration is too complex and no one will use it?

That's a valid point. It needs to be easy like dragging and dropping, and literally the opposite of complex (like copy pasting URLs and such).

My idea was to just have this Registry of things you want/like/need everywhere with you, kinda like on Amazon except you have to buy from Amazon.

However I do need to clarify my ideas before doing any development for sure.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Alexandra91zk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 26, 2019
Isn't this kinda like Delicious?

i've just looked it up and no, I don't think it can compare.

The goal isn't to just save URLs but to literally pin stuff only that you can buy, and being able to share that with others. It's kind of like a Pinterest registry except you don't have to browse endlessly.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
No coding, no fun.

I’m not aware of any drag and drop app makers that give you ownership to the app when finished.

The rest could be done by yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.