• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Smart farming - growing money by growing super greens and herbs

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by ArtRyumin, May 20, 2018.

1. ArtRyumin

ArtRyumin Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $313
    Hey folks, i searched the forum and there doesn't seem to be anyone 'growing' anything for money. I have been researching the smart farming categories and can't help but think of all the land i have available where i live that should be producing money.

Just today visting a local grocery store i stopped at the super greens/sprouts sections and was blown away by some of the prices:
    Chines - plastic box container, 10g = $4.09
    Basil - plastic box container, 10g = $4.09
    Italian parsley, 10g, $4.09

These prices are probably high as if you shopped around you could get a way better deal but i wa non the less a bit shocked realising i gould grow pounds of this and after researching on how to actually grow them it seemed quite enoyable (i've been growing cactusus and a small selectionof house plnats for a few years now for profit)

I can see selling to local restaurants, green smoothie stands around the city as well as taking online orders.

I have the perfect family member to hire to look after the operation releaving myself of quite alot of time and focusing on distribution and customer acquisition.

I am currently working on another business and i don't want to get overwhlemend by doing two projects at onces but it just makes sence to utilise the land i have which the annual council rates aren't going to change if i produce off the land so i makes sence tome. I have no idea about the horticultural industry apart from knowing how to clone some exotic house plants and put them into pretty containers for resell after a few months, so would love to hear from anyone that knows about this space. And i'll be sharing my experience along the way, my next step is to aquire growing trays and the seeds of the selected super greens i'm going to grow.

2. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $82,753
    Good luck. I'll be watching this thread as I find this business pretty interesting so please keep us updated.

You might find this book helpful: https://www.amazon.com/Market-Garde...p/B00I2FYZJC/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=

In the second chapter they talk about the most profitable crops and offer tips on how to command good prices.

For them, the 10 most profitable crops sales-wise are:

1. Greenhouse tomato
    2. Mesclun mix
    3. Lettuce
    4. Greenhouse cucumber
    5. Garlic
    6. Carrots (bunch)
    7. Onion
    8. Pepper
    9. Broccoli
    10. Snow/snap peas

Silver Silk, Scot, NLRDesign and 4 others like this.
  3. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $66,972
    Slightly off topic, but you're in New Zealand: Manuka Honey = Money. If you're exploring new ideas explore that. Crazy markups, likely better than selling herbs.

4. Caroline888

Caroline888 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $170
    In rgeards to HERBS. Some people grow very rare and difficult to grow herbs - and then sell the dry "organic" herbs on Etsy, or through individuals websites. And YES they make good money from it. However it is very time consuming ... and You never know they outcome ... some rare herbs might not grow in difficult environment.... for me it is a bit of "slow lane"...

5. GoGetter24

GoGetter24 Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,783
    Definitely still money to be made in farming, even small scale. Stuff like ginseng fetches a crazy price.

MooreMillions and W. Sabria like this.
  6. masterneme

masterneme Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,237
    ArtRyumin likes this.
  7. HugoMoreno

HugoMoreno Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,535
    I buy a lot of herbs to help with adrenal glands and kidney filtration

And the vegan/natural cure movement is getting stronger so I think the sales of herbs is going to keep rising

MooreMillions and W. Sabria like this.
  8. ArtRyumin

Rep Bank:
    $313
    MTF likes this.
  9. ArtRyumin

Rep Bank:
    $313
    That is actually one of the things i've been looking at also, here we need a license to have bees so i've singed up to the next available one to get the legal req's sorted and looking at complimentary plants to aid the bee production. It would have been a long term investmet planting Manuka trees and waiting for the bees so i was thinking mixing in lavendar and other flowering shrubs that could also be sold off as dry herb and also give to the honey production. I don't see why small scale farming and bees wouldn't work together.

Jello and Silver Silk like this.
  10. ArtRyumin

Rep Bank:
    $313
    I'm in the processes if identifying what to grow at the moment.
    I did consider the fast lane/slow lane of this option but considering that i already have 5 acres to turn into cultivated land that can produce money i see this as a small time investment for the set up, hiring a family member to run the operation and than harvesting, the biggest expense whch would have been land leasing i can get for free as i'm already paying for the land. With the amount of time in between planting to harvesting will leave me with plenty of time to work on my other FL project and look for customers for the harvest.

Caroline888 and NLRDesign like this.
  11. ArtRyumin

Rep Bank:
    $313
    I will look into mushrooms, haven't given them much thought and wouldn't know how to grow them, they are also another high priced crop from what i've seen. Will defiantly look into it.

12. ay47

ay47 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $1,073
    Is it possible to grow Saffron in your country’s climate? Saffron is more valuable than gold pound for pound. So that could be really profitable. Watching this thread for developments.

For the rest of your produce, I think your target market should be pp interested in locally sourced food. That’s been a huge movement in recent years.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  13. ArtRyumin

Rep Bank:
    $313
    turns out saffron grows very well where we are. Looks like a tricky one to grow and harvest but indeed highly priced, thanks for the suggestion much appreciated, it's on the list to find it's place on the plot

Edit - after a night of researching Saffron - i understand why it's sometimes prices as much as gold, It's super labour intensive (must be picked by hand) and around 150 flowers are required to produce a gram (with luck on your first couple grows) i think i'll reserve this crop for later one once we're established and can venture into something a bit more advanced and risky - but profitable.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  14. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $57,127
    @kkompoti are you still around? I know you’re concentrating on your farm right now.

Also, @Raoul Duke tagging you in, because the idea of farming was tossed out to you.

ArtRyumin and Silver Silk like this.
  15. W. Sabria

W. Sabria Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $273
    i like the idea of growing bamboo. seems like a big market right now and it grows quick!

I just learned a friend of mine has been growing salt water coral and anemones as a hobby. He started selling and it's been going so well for him, he's looking to quit his job soon as a corporate accountant and join the Fastlane!

Jello, FastNAwesome and ArtRyumin like this.
  16. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Tallest Lannister Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $10,210
    masterneme, ArtRyumin and Scot like this.
  17. ArtRyumin

Rep Bank:
    $313
    oh wow great idea, i wasn't even thinking about about anything like that and that could be done inside the house. I used to have fresh water fish tanks and that was an expensive hobby, the salt water fish tanks are even more expensive. Target market i would think would mostly be hobby enthusiasts?

18. ArtRyumin

Rep Bank:
    $313
    Thanks for the share, had a few light bulb moment. I did considering using shipping containers to grow in and cut the roof off to put in clear panels for natural sun light and it'll still be insulated but also comparing the cost at the moment from building green houses using timber and single glazed window panels that i'm waiting to get prices from local supplier to weight up the costs.

I have 5 acres to dedicate towards cultivating and from everyones suggesting and research been putting together a crop list and matching it to the sowing/harvesting seasons here locally, it's been a very enjoyable experience so far.

Are you growing in soil or hydro?

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.