The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Like to post a video from your YouTube channel? Want to promote your design service? Recommend a company? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote whatever you'd like within the realm of entrepreneurship on one central thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Should I move out of my parents house?

Stay at parents or move out?

• Total voters

Mack X

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 11, 2019
I am having a dilemma.

I am 24, living with my parents. They are very supportive of me and give me a lot of space and freedom. Living is very cheap and no time wasted on cooking and other household activities.

On the other hand, I could move out, find a part-time job and rent something. Then I will be independent and spend the time left over on my entrepreneurial journey. Housing is very expensive here (country in europe), so are all other living expenses really.

I feel like staying is the best choice money/time wise, but leaving will cut me loose from the nest and give me independence. Would moving out be worth it?

I'm curious to your thoughts.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Cancakir

New Contributor
Mar 20, 2019
I am in the exact same position. I personally would move out to really be forced to make sth happen entrepreneurial wise. It's the first step for a new chapter. I know but it's very comfortable at home. Eating cheap instant meals(still somewhat healthy) and doing your laundry every couple days is not really a waste of money. See it as time to think about your next startup steps while doing the chores.
But the job would take a lot of time dude. So i am looking for a job i can still listen to Audio books and stuff and dont have to communicate all the time.

Which country are you from. Im from europe too

sravi

Contributor
Dec 1, 2012
Yeah well, people are not rational nor logical actors. We prioritize what we personally and emotionally want most.

I will tell you this, there is no pride or virtue in "being independent", working a job to sustain yourself and all of those old tropes from a couple of centuries ago. It's all a psychological and time trap.

If you have enough "space and freedom" then stay put and increase your stash until you can afford to move out properly as a free man- without needing to trade time for money/a job to sustain yourself.

maverick

Unorthodox Nonconformist
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2012

killerbeenow

New Contributor
Aug 20, 2019
germany
Hey,
like the Thread from maverick says, we can´t decide for you. But I can say, that it really helped me to move out of my parents house. If you know how to manage your new won freedom productively it can really benefit you.

Creep

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 29, 2019
Economically its great to stay with your parents if you have a good relationship.
You can establish some freedom from them even if you live with them, it doesnt have to be 100% in or out. Maybe all you need is a cheap office space to get work done after a part time job?

ThePowerOfStory

New Contributor
Aug 8, 2019
Germany
I am in the exact same position. I personally would move out to really be forced to make sth happen entrepreneurial wise. It's the first step for a new chapter. I know but it's very comfortable at home. Eating cheap instant meals(still somewhat healthy) and doing your laundry every couple days is not really a waste of money. See it as time to think about your next startup steps while doing the chores.
But the job would take a lot of time dude. So i am looking for a job i can still listen to Audio books and stuff and dont have to communicate all the time.

Which country are you from. Im from europe too
I'm currently moving BACK in to my parentS :D

Me and my wife pay about 1000€ (rent, electricity, heat, drive to work, etc.) to live in an appartment. There is an empty floor in my parents house. It's smaller, but with that 1k € more in our pockets every month, it's much easier to invest more into my business. As long as your parants aren't trying to negatively influence your decisions I see no reason to move out of their house. You get more time and money for your entrepreneurial way of life.

Spikeroo

Contributor
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Stay in as long as you possibly can. America has an social construct that every kid has to move out at age 18. We are the only country that does that! Save until you have enough to get a house, NOT AN APARTMENT.

1.) Save save save
2.) BUILD YOUR CREDIT
3.) Start a business

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2017
Bali
Maybe take a piece of paper and try to weigh out pros and cons. What exactly will you gain from moving out? What will you lose? Which choice is more profitable, overall?

My opinion is: if you like your parents and you have a good relation with them, stay with them and focus 100% on progressing with your biz until you will have built a sustainable source of income. (And help them regularly with the household so they don't get tired of you too quickly :) )

Then, once your initial goals are achieved, think of moving out to gain more motivation to increase your income even more.
That's what I did.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 30, 2019
My magic ball tells me...

It is telling me...

Wait for it...

You should go drink a cup of tea with a slice of banana. Once you're relaxed, repeat after me:

"I own my life, no body can live it for me. I decide I will [...]".

gryfny

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
Just move out. The freedom and responsibilities will spill over to other aspects in your life.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Ing

Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
If you have a plan with your business to start soon, stay.
If your plan is to plan your businass another 10 years, go out and start YOUR life!

Tubs

KIWAMI!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 29, 2011
On the other hand, I could move out, find a part-time job and rent something. Then I will be independent and spend the time left over on my entrepreneurial journey. Housing is very expensive here (country in europe), so are all other living expenses really.
If you can afford to move out on your own with only one part-time job, housing in your country is very cheap. Where I'm living now, it would take two full-time jobs to move out on your own. 80 hours per week just to afford an apartment, utilities, food and fuel. Assuming you didn't have a car payment, you'd probably be able to afford a few movies a month with the leftover money - that is if you could stay awake.

OP
OP
Mack X

Mack X

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 11, 2019
If you can afford to move out on your own with only one part-time job, housing in your country is very cheap. Where I'm living now, it would take two full-time jobs to move out on your own. 80 hours per week just to afford an apartment, utilities, food and fuel. Assuming you didn't have a car payment, you'd probably be able to afford a few movies a month with the leftover money - that is if you could stay awake.
Actually, I think a part-time job would not make enough. You maybe are right about that. Unless I would share a crappy place with multiple people it would probably not be enough for other living expenses apart from rent.

Thanks everyone for contributing your perspective and experiences

MrYoshi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 15, 2017
Michigan
I moved back in with my parents and will move out once I'm consistently hitting 10k/month.

ThePowerOfStory

New Contributor
Aug 8, 2019
Germany
Just move out. The freedom and responsibilities will spill over to other aspects in your life.
My parents let me live my life like I want to. I wouldn't gain freedom if I lived somewhere else. If you have shitty parents that might be true. I remember that MJ's mother always yelled "GET A JOB!!!" :D That would probably kill his mindset over the long haul.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom