The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Retail Apocalypse = Commercial Property Owners Desperate

Solais

Bronze Contributor
Sep 14, 2018
Navigating the New Age of Retail Real Estate

TL;DR

The "retail apocalypse" is leaving commercial property owners between a rock and a hard place. If you plan on starting a local brick-and-mortar and want to reduce your rent, this might be a great opportunity, as the business owner has the upper hand in negotiations.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Megan Kay

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Nov 27, 2018
I wonder about some creative uses of those now dead spaces. I watched a little documentary the other day where a gal is using commercial buildings as shared living spaces - Podshare. Looks like she's making bank with it, but it's not a business model I'd personally want to pursue. Would probably need high density urban areas to work, but it could be a cool thing for areas of high homelessness too.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015
I wonder about some creative uses of those now dead spaces. I watched a little documentary the other day where a gal is using commercial buildings as shared living spaces - Podshare. Looks like she's making bank with it, but it's not a business model I'd personally want to pursue. Would probably need high density urban areas to work, but it could be a cool thing for areas of high homelessness too.
You could probably turn them into co-working spaces, too. Or bulk storage maybe?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
U-Haul just bought a few to make in to storage units. Back in the late '90's someone turned the old K-Mart in Abilene Texas in to a huge storage place and it seems to have caught on a little at a time. This is actually the only time my wife and I have had a conversation about business..... we have talked about buying a storage business. Normally she and I don't talk much about business. I could see it happening if given the easy opportunity and the price is right. I could get my nephew to run the place.

MHP368

the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Top of my head you could open a club but its at a new venue every week. So the holding cost and cost of having to move stuff around every week would be high but its definitely an angle , I suppose the liquor licence wouldnt transfer though?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom