The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress Thread] Scaling Websites

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hi, this is mostly a progress thread that I can look at and stay accountable to and hopefully look at in a year's time and see if and how my goals have been fulfilled.
I abandoned my last progress thread which sucks, but I wasn't that invested into it - I didn't have anything to write about since nothing was happening ( I took no action )

Current Vehicle - Web Development / Web Solutions

Earnings: ±$2000
Expenses: ±$200

Short-term goals:
- Get 3 Showcase Clients (3/3)
- Finish 3 Projects (0/3)
- Start Cold Outreach (once I have 3 projects done - case studies)
- Go part-time on 9-5 job (Working as a Frontend Developer)
- Get an office space

Long(er)-term goals:
- Fully replace 9-5 with business
- Scale to the magic number of $10,000 a month
- Retire my mother (pops lives like a king in his job lol, he doesn't want to quit)
- A "That's daddy's money" car
I have more but these are just some Id put here. Lets see how the journey goes!

Landed my first client the other day with help from my friend, signed him for $1200ish. He is in the coaching business and needs a funnel and a website. I noticed in his niche most of people have trash websites (not only visually, structurally) but are still getting clients. When I finish this project I might look into the other guys and use this client as a case study.
Other than this, In an hour I'm meeting with my 2nd client - a friend's mom who's into real estate. He did a lot for me (also helped with a client, eventually, It seems we whiffed it, she hit me with 2 rounds of excuses, and we charged $2800 for a full-on real estate website since she asked if we could fit the website in $3500 - good potential customer but don't think it will convert) so I wont charge him money, just need the testimonial and case study.

I never had the ball rolling like this, it seems I just grabbed myself by the balls and went for it. A great mindset that helped me was Alex Hormozi's concept of just sticking to it for 6 months and see what happens. I ignored everything else and focused on this, and I'm slowly reaping the rewards, or starting to anyway.
Hopefully, I can go part-time on my job, they offer the ideal type of working 2-3 days a week instead of working half the hours. I can use those days to focus more on life since I let myself go a little :/ I haven't been to the gym in a bit since I go there on lunch breaks but I haven't been in the office for 2 weeks, and I noticed I become pretty ineffective workwise after hard gym sessions. We will see - Im excited to finish my 3 projects and start cold outreaching.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Alright so the meeting got postponed for tomorrow since yesterday we were all busier than expected, but everything still stands.
I'm building the website for the current client, the outline is done and the general plan is set up, now it's all about code and copy.
I looked into more websites of his competitors and experts in the field he is in and DAMN. It literally looks like those early websites from dial-up internet days. I'm starting to collect the potential next clients after I finish his website so I can show them what we can do exactly in their field.
A 3rd potential client could be my mother, we discussed a website for her business (also coaching services) but we never found time to discuss more since I live abroad. Next time we see eachother I will definitely work it out with her but at that point if I still don't have a 3rd customer then I can pack my bags with this business lol.

I also need to work on my website as well, currently it's in Slovak since my initial plan was to get into the Slovak market heavily, but If I'm gonna be in talks with the global teachers from the industry I talked about above then I need to add the English option, luckily that's not hard.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
The meeting was done today, and went great, even though it's for free and for a friend they have a much clearer goal of what they want and I can deliver it to them with ease and quickly. The value is in the testimonial.
My other client also got much clearer on some aspects we are working on so we can accelerate there as well!
I'm excited to dive into the cold outreach waters soon.
One thing I've been thinking about recently is going part-time very soon. I can see a lot of work needs to be done on the web design side, and it really sucks not having the energy to work on it after 9-5. Sure, some days are easier than others but its taxing to code all day and exhaust my decision-making on something that is not my future (but pays the bills). If anyone has input on this Id be glad to hear, but considering what forum we are on Id say its a good road to go towards.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Power of network strikes again, my colleague got me another very quick website for $700.
Not the biggest sum but again, the power of the testimonial will return much more. It seems to be a one-pager using WordPress, they don't care much about SEO or content from what I've gathered so a pretty easy project - thinking about using this budget towards Ad campaigns in the near future.

First goal completed:
Get 3 Showcase Clients (3/3)

I've also started working on my daily productivity and minimizing the F*cking around:
  • Ive uninstalled Instagram a while back from my phone, now I just check messages every now and then on my PC

• I like to spend time on YouTube so I've added a new plugin with a timer of 1 hour of YouTube. This timer makes me respect time spent there more, and instead of using the time for meaningless shorts or random videos, I save the time for educational stuff (but really I haven't touched YouTube much because of the timer anyway, which is great)

• I track my activity on my PC with Rize and see what things break my focus and waste time. I like to look at data and charts anyway so I enjoy tracking this lol. It helps in multiple ways, especially the "Focus" flair that detects when you're doing a task focused and not jumping around tasks.

Overall I'm feeling much better and work-focused, I think I'm heading towards the right direction. I also want to start talking to more people who are business-focused and grow my network. If you want to connect, Id love to do so - who knows what can happen

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Well done. What kind of follow up services are you pitching clients after the website is done?

A monthly maintenance program is not only a high value add but can be a nice taste of the fastlane. Are you taking care of website hosting, Cloudflare setup, email, WordPress/theme/plugin maintenance? There's a lot of potential here, just for Wordpress related things, $50/month to make sure their website is up-to-date and taking care of any small issues is really easy and can be scaled up to $200-$300/month depending on needs.

If you don't offer it, they'll come back to you in 6 months anyways with something they need and you'll probably charge a paltry sum or they'll just find someone else.

Web development is a pretty fast way to exit the 9-5, lean into it harder and get more focused and you'll find yourself 'making it' sooner than you think.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Well done. What kind of follow up services are you pitching clients after the website is done?

A monthly maintenance program is not only a high value add but can be a nice taste of the fastlane. Are you taking care of website hosting, Cloudflare setup, email, WordPress/theme/plugin maintenance? There's a lot of potential here, just for Wordpress related things, $50/month to make sure their website is up-to-date and taking care of any small issues is really easy and can be scaled up to $200-$300/month depending on needs.

If you don't offer it, they'll come back to you in 6 months anyways with something they need and you'll probably charge a paltry sum or they'll just find someone else.

Web development is a pretty fast way to exit the 9-5, lean into it harder and get more focused and you'll find yourself 'making it' sooner than you think.
Thanks for jumping in!

Currently I am offering website maintenance so keeping the site running smoothly, If any problems occur I can jump in. Also posting for them, if they really don't want a CMS then I'll offer to post for them for a price, usually I package it up with the maintenance so upwards of $50 a month.
I also offer ongoing SEO support with SEM Rush, so they get insight into what's happening on that side of things with reports, and I can help iron out the SEO. Thinking also upwards of $50 a month, depending on the client and the budget.

The things you also mentioned are interesting, I am definitely going to look into how I can bundle that stuff together as well. Retainers are fantastic and can cover a lot of the expenses, even on slower months.
Happy to hear that :) I work in a consulting company and it really sucks knowing that you're at the bottom of the income stream basically doing the same things for somebody else. I'm going to have the part-time talk soon to accelerate and jump off the 9-5 train fully.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Yesterday and Today are pretty normal work days, finishing up the main page for the first client and tying up knots on some things. Looking to finish this project soon and sign him up for a monthly retainer, we connected well and I offer him some insight into his business so I think he wants to stay in touch longer.

Next week I will be starting the other projects and possibly wrapping up this one. I also need to work on some of my own pages and landing page structure, I think it can be improved and some CTAs could be placed better.

Tomorrow I'm back to work sadly, but I found a cool place to work at after work so I'll be jumping there to work on things after work, since the commute home is 30ish minutes and I rather keep the work energy than go home and (usually) procrastinate.

I also decided to go maintenance mode in the gym, so 2 workouts a week just to keep myself stable. I'm okay with not making progress there as long as the business gears are turning.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Got a little bit sick, nothing serious but still decided to work from home. Told my manager that I got a fever so I can do minimal work and do my websites lol.
I wanna take some time to look at my Rize time tracking report and work on it as I spent WAY too much time on entertainment:
1693983376716.png
I will compare my weekly and work on these bad numbers to go down. My biggest problem is with Youtube, for which Ive installed a 1hr blocker per day, which i admit to disabling a few times, namely yesterday when I was not so fit for work, put I put it there for a reason - I will refrain from doing this.

Websites are in a good spot now:
- Client 1: Project is nearly finished. He is pretty happy with the website and our overall relationship is quite good. Soon we will need to discuss the ongoing support but I think we got a good future.
- Client 2: Had a meeting, got all the details and starting work this week. This should be a pretty fun project and an easier one since the templates I found offer so much in the real estate sphere, minimal changes will need to be done.
- Client 3: Im waiting for my friend who set this up to get a meeting going to discuss the project, I have no contact with the client but through my friend we set the deal up. Also an easy WordPress project, possible ongoing.

Thats it for now, Im going back to client 1 now so we can wrap the project up this week hopefully.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Just a small note to self, past few days Ive been thinking about and sharing these paragraphs that MJ wrote in the newsletter: the concept of "value vouchers"

So when I was 22 with $500 in my bank account, I wasn't mentally cursing about how I needed to work longer hours to make more money. No, I told myself I needed to create more value to earn more value vouchers.

For me, money transformed into a measure of value creation, a scoreboard of how much value I brought into the world—not a form of monetary exchange. My net worth was a function of the value I created.

The rewording of money really hit me and even though I understood the concept of providing value to earn money, I the rewording really made it stick!
I no longer think of my work as providing services for money, but as investing my time and knowledge into creating value that, if I provide good value, will result in a yield of value vouchers and potentially an ongoing investment that returns value vouchers every month.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Exciting stuff came in the mail today!acq.png

I'm gonna read up and have some dedicated time soon to study lead generation and advertising.
- Client wise, today or tomorrow I will finish the 1st project and talk about ongoing support. I got 1 page left and some bits and pieces to clean up.
- 2nd project should be starting today, Im still waiting on them to confirm wheather were going for wordpress or plain HTML.
- I also need to do work on my website, to present it better, and improve SEO.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
First project wrapped up and second half paid, ongoing is set up as well. We are also going to do Google Ads but I told him that I would do it completely for free, since I have no experience here but want to learn. He seemed happy with that and wanted to advertise anyhow.

2nd client is very slow with the decisions, mainly if they are going to spend 25 dollars a month for WordPress.
They are successful real estate agents.

3rd client: we got an introductory meeting on friday and things are looking good there too, seems like a small passion project through wordpress, easy project and a nice quick referral/testimonial, going to help him as much as I can.

Since the 1st project is done, I am going to get a list of people in his sphere and reach out, showing them the website and the results, and also some similar fields that I have in mind.
I need to do some work on my website too, I have some pages that are not functional and some parts that I dont really like.

1694536985615.png
This weeks report improved a little bit, entertainment is high but most of it was done in one day when I had breathing problems and couldnt do shit except panic and watch youtube lol. Focus time improved greatly, even this week most of my sessions are more focused.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Today I changed my website to a minimal, modern, straight-to-the-point website. I want to see how that website will perform since a lot of websites I saw recently that are in the web development sphere are very minimal and modern, and no filler content. I stripped most of the things that were not needed.

I have some things to fix but now i want to focus on improving my offer/sales pitch. I noticed that I talk in a very technical manner, which confuses the clients and I need to improve my mind-mouth connection to just generally be easier to understand and strip the filler words.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
This week I hit my first ever 80hr work week! 1695018463181.png

I feel very happy but also a bit tired after this week, but it showed me that I can be ruthless with my time and still have room for improvement. This was more of an experiment to see how things would go, but I did quite a lot this week and the hours definitely didnt go to waste.

1695041375917.png

1695018701885.png
My entertainment did go up but looking at percentages it is lower than last week. Mostly downtime at night but I also have some time on my phone which i want to decrease a bit as well. I added a greyscale filter and it really did decrease my time. This week by 50% ( also influenced by a lot of screentime working ofc ).

Client-wise things are moving, finally started working on the friend website but kinda shot myself in the foot for the long term since they chose to have a CMS-heavy website without a CMS per their request. Learned for the future.
Another client is moved onto ongoing for good now, he is becoming a bit difficult since he is making terrible decisions website-wise but I decided not to start arguments with him. I will just get paid and do what he says, it is not my business in the end.
I am in talks with another client, more in the roads of digital marketing but I will see what we can do.

Soon I want to start a cold outreach campaign. I have collected around 50 email addresses and set up some systems to test things out, Im gonna look for more addresses and run a campaign, excited for this.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Not much has been happening recently, just standard work.

I did however have an outreach campaign of a small sample size of 50ish people, and the open rates were great, above 50%, but the conversion, not so much. As of now I only had 1 engaged lead who had a call with me yesterday, a pretty legit client and we connected pretty well. She says that she has a design agency that will help her set up a website because her other one got hacked, and she wants to work with me on creating funnels. We have each other's contact so I plan to message her in a month to see where she's at, maybe reignite the potential project.

Soon I should be closing the real estate website but that won't have a paid ongoing, it will just be friend support until I don't have time for that ( 10 minutes a day maybe ).

I want to finish this project and then do a bigger outreach campaign to see how things are looking.

Other than this I begin work with my 3rd client next month, easy website, a good referral and a case study since he is pretty legit too.

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Very impressive. Lots of work already done. Congrats!

I'm running the same business but I added a social media component to it. Customers who want a website often need you to build and grow 1-2 social medias to help them building a community of customers. You can then charge them a lot more every month (alongside the website maintenance).

I'm only charging with monthly subscriptions (website and maintenance only, web + social media, etc.) with a minimal commitment period to ensure I got paid enough for the website I do. Is there any reason you prefer to charge for the website and then negotiate for maintenance? Which strategy would be the best?

Great thread anyway. I bookmarked it and can't wait to see your progress.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Very impressive. Lots of work already done. Congrats!

I'm running the same business but I added a social media component to it. Customers who want a website often need you to build and grow 1-2 social medias to help them building a community of customers. You can then charge them a lot more every month (alongside the website maintenance).

I'm only charging with monthly subscriptions (website and maintenance only, web + social media, etc.) with a minimal commitment period to ensure I got paid enough for the website I do. Is there any reason you prefer to charge for the website and then negotiate for maintenance? Which strategy would be the best?

Great thread anyway. I bookmarked it and can't wait to see your progress.
Appreciate it!

Social media is definitely great for this too, maybe along the line I will look into that but I haven't figured that out yet lol. Though if I get a client who wants social media I'd be happy to let you know in private and we can work out a deal.

For the pricing, that's generally how I intended it to be, majority of the work on the website is done upfront and then afterward just doing support and making new pages as we go. Plus I'd need a budget for the website for copy, development itself, themes, etc. I am never out of money for the website so I'd say it works pretty well for now, but I like your model too where you have a commitment period as a safety measure.

Thanks for bookmarking and hope to see you! Best of luck to you too.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Haven't posted in a while but not many changes have happened, have mostly been working with the real estate client and on my own business. I've been learning about copy, thinking about my offer and the next outreach campaign/method. I also had family stuff this week and still do until Wednesday and I want to spend time with them since I live abroad, so I minimized my work for now, but still taking notes and thinking.

I have an idea that I want to try and see that could work inside of Facebook groups, will allocate time for that and see how that performs.

Currently, I'm focused on generating leads and creating a great offer, but also choosing a nice that will fit me since I am a generalist as of my clientele.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm giving a shot to the WaaS model for a specific niche. I made a landing page for it and my thoughts are to charge $99 a month as "rent" for the website. I am using a template for these websites so the site itself can be live within 24-48h. Setting up my first ads campaign now, also got a chat with Andy next week to meet him and discuss stuff!

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Had a great chat with Andy yesterday on a few topics, and got so much value and perspective from it!

Things have slowed down a bit with the clientele, I cannot move much there but I am looking for new ones as we speak. I have set up some systems for a cold outreach campaign, meanwhile, I will dedicate daily time to doing personalized outreach and just helping people around. Currently, I need to find communities like this where I can be of value and meet more people. This is my 80% of work while 20% will go to client work since currently its pretty cold.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Had some thinking and self-reflecting to do.

I'm still in the game, onboarding a new client in like 2 weeks, also had a random guy message me, saying he was referred by a girl I helped, which also happened to be a referral :) I had a smile from that. Best part is, I had a call with @Andy Black a few days prior where we discussed exactly this, and when I saw the message I was what the hell Andy, this works :rofl:. She wasn't my client, we discussed working together but we were not fit, but I still helped her with some things. I expected nothing from her afterwards, and this really surprised me. Really just shows that giving away will return to you.

That said, I will put this business on the back burner for a short period. My 9-5 work is fully braindead and has been for a while, and I want to move away from it - I don't even feel like a developer anymore, more like customer support. I am solving idiotic problems that have minimal impact for most of the day, and just sometimes will I get actual developer work where I can get in the zone and solve shit. Instead, I do errands.

I am looking for a new developer position, primarily as a contractor, and will probably move out of Slovakia when I do - I feel like I have squeezed most of the juice here: I moved here alone without knowing the language, absolutely lost. I could be whoever I wanted, nobody knew my past. Back home, I was a fat idiot, now I'm just a happy idiot. I got jacked, learned the language, got confident, trained Muay Thai, and got my first share of college women. I went to uni for like a month, dropped out, and taught myself how to code. Stakes were high, since if I didn't find a job I would have to move out. I got a job, felt money for the first time ( very relative lol, my salary is 1500 - 2000 euros ): I could pay for everyone's drinks, I could tip heavily and I didn't really have to look at receipts much.

But now after 2 years, 1 year working in the company, I want to move on to something else. My life quality has started to deteriorate - My sleep is worse, I am tired for most of the day, I do mindless work and at 5 I'm drained up mentally. I then either go to the gym or go work on my business, both with minimal energy. My sleep and recovery are bad quality which is impacted by a multitude of things, and a random uncontrolled wake-up ensures that the next day continues the streak of misery. In all seriousness it's not all that bad, the sleep-deprived brain just likes to bitch a lot haha.

Bottom line is, I think it's time to change environments, and my current plan is to get a new remote position, possibly move back home for a couple of months, and retire my mum. I'd be much happier knowing that she can finally relax and focus on her own endeavors. Aside from that, my room at home has a banging bed which puts me to sleep in like 3 seconds :) I think this can be a fine checkpoint to collect my thoughts and plan my next escape into the unknown.

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Glad to see you're progressing depsite having some issues.

On my side I have simplified my offer, no more social media management for the moment. I prefer to focus on webdesign and grow my portfolio before diversifying.

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
@ugudango, @KiwiEC - what tech stack do you guys use for building the websites for clients?

I design the landing page (or home page for bigger websites) with Figma and then I create it on WordPress.

WordPress is enough to get something fast, reliable and esthetic (if you do it properly). There are many site builders, my favorite is called Bricks.

I hesitated between WP and tools like Webflow or Framer. Thoses no-code builders are excellent but lack some features. They are also more expensive and you lose control on your business (it's their code, hosted on their side).

I prefer to keep the control on this, it's a good opportunity to stay in touch with customers for future deals and to propose them a monthly subscription for hosting and maintenance.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Glad to see you're progressing depsite having some issues.

On my side I have simplified my offer, no more social media management for the moment. I prefer to focus on webdesign and grow my portfolio before diversifying.
Eh, it’s just a period of uncertanty I’d say. Same thing happened when I dropped out or when I changed apartments - ended up being a move in the right direction, so I’m not worried.

Oh not a bad idea for the offer, are you still charging monthly? How’s it going on your side overall?

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
@ugudango, @KiwiEC - what tech stack do you guys use for building the websites for clients?
Same as Kiwi, you can bang out a Wordpress website quickly and it just works ( usually ). I did 2 client websites in raw HTML CSS and JS, one is fine and he pays for me to change all that stuff, but the other real estate website is a mistake - the client is my friend and he doesn’t want to pay me to change the website, he wants to do it himself with no coding experience.
So now instead of having a normal CMS he wants to rawdog it and update the property pages, listing pages, festured properties etc. all through code. Not my problem at the end of the day but I want to help and provide solutions, this seems like more problems lol.

But anyway what I’m trying to say is be flexible, I’d stick to Wordpress for the most part but when a client desires some custom solutions then I’d jump in with raw code, usually vanilla JS for easier things or MERN for fullstack apps

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviving this thread with some positive news, just got off a call with a fantastic new client for whom we'll be making a page soon, also got payments from an older client and we're starting work this week, so things are moving.

Profit for this is around $2200

I employed a friend of mine for cold outreach, he's very new to this so he's just learning about good/bad website design for now, and got contacts for potential developers who I'll employ on a contract basis.

I was in a big through and was very unmotivated but I pushed through it and seems like I got rewarded. Loads of work coming in the following weeks, very happy about it!

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Wanted to update this thread after a bit, things are going great. Since it's the end of the year, I wanted to review the goals and set new ones so I have some wins along the way to look forward to.

CURRENT STATUS:
- Working actively with 3 clients:
  • 1 Client is on ongoing support with a finished project
  • 2 Clients are still not finished but are coming to a close
- New clients:
  • Current client is so happy with the work that has been done as of now that the CEO invited me to lead the Frontend operations on his new project which has huge potential, and the prices will be discussed next week.
  • Referral hit me up, told him that we're currently full and will chat to him in 2024.
  • Have talks next week with a couple of potential partners, we're thinking about making this operation bigger, one of the partner is a lead gen animal and a personal good friend of mine that I met in the 9-5. Really good connection, we got great work chemistry and are both grinding our asses off.
- As mentioned above the operation might go much bigger, and we might take a few looks at different opportunities that we can work on where we see more success, but we're still speculating.
- Great client relationships, great new connections, very happy in this area too. All the time I think about the power of networking and as Andy says it, spending money on coffee and gas. I want to do more of this and the work partner I mentioned previously is also looking to go with me to networking events.

2023 GOALS OVERVIEW AND 2024 GOALS:
Short-term goals:
- Get 3 Showcase Clients (3/3) ✅
- Finish 3 Projects (3/3) ✅ 2 not currently finished but will be until the end of 2023
- Start Cold Outreach (once I have 3 projects done - case studies) ✅
- Go part-time on 9-5 job (Working as a Frontend Developer) ❌ Even better, will give 2 month notice in Feb!
- Get an office space ❌

Long(er)-term goals:
- Fully replace 9-5 with business - Taking this to 2024
- Scale to the magic number of $10,000 a month - Taking this to 2024
- Retire my mother (pops lives like a king in his job lol, he doesn't want to quit) - Taking this to 2024
- A "That's daddy's money" car - Taking this to 2024
Money earned in 2023 from business: ±$4000

2024 GOALS:
- Quit 9-5 Job ( Expected in Feb 2024 )
- Make $10k total from the business by 1st half of 2024 / $20k by 2nd half of 2024
- Get to $1k MRR
- Move to Southeast Asia ( Expected in May 2024 )
- Get an office space
- Start actively networking and going to networking events
- Get 10 Clients
- Hire a developer

Merry Christmas everyone! Let's make 2024 even better.

Trust the process.

hexelont

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 24, 2023
Wow! I'm impressed on the progress you are making so far.

I'm also doing something similar but I'm using fiverr to sell my services. I'm unsure if it's a good idea to sell on fiverr because I haven't been getting any sales from it so far. I made 5 websites (1 of them is my own, 3 for my business partner as we are making different websites for our businesses, and another one for my aunty's business). As of right now I'm doing it more as a side hustle because I would rather focus on my other businesses.

You are making really good progress. Keep it up!

p.s. I'm going to try that Rize program you used to track your work. I've been looking for a program like that for a very long time.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Thanks a lot!

I'm not the biggest fan of Fiverr or the other freelance platforms, mainly because I didn't get any results from them and most people are looking for cheap labor. From my experience, the people who win contracts are the ones which are willing to go the absolute lowest with at least decent reviews.

But since you have portfolio items already, I'd look into outreach and networking :) Truly, the network for me was the killer and most of my success came from it.

I think websites are a great cash mule to support your other business, this whole operation is just a cash mule for future endeavors and a bridge to learn marketing and sales.

Best of luck to you! If you need any help let me know, and definitely try Rize, it's an absolute gamechanger for productivity, plus when you do client work you know how much you spent working on that project and can easily figure out your hourly rates for example.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Big win yesterday, the last client loved my work and we're continuing to work on 2 major projects, which are priced at around $5.5k! Today we're discussing terms but overall love working with the team there and also got an offer to work for them full time after we settle these projects, but will think about that since I will be moving in Q2 2024.

My plan to resign at my current company is pretty much taken care of. Next week I'm coming back to the office and in Feb I am giving my 2 month notice, aligning with my apartment lease that ends around April.

Make $10k total from the business by 1st half of 2024 / $20k by 2nd half of 2024
This goal is solidifying pretty well, as the total right now is around $8,5k and we're still in Jan. Crazy to think stuff is actually working but considering 12-hour days are pretty standard right now, I'm happy things are working.

My networking goal will take a bit more steam when I return back to my city, I already have a meeting with a CEO from Romania about tech and software.

Truly, we just need to meet people, learn things and work hard - it's so simple

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.