The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Online Information Tracking

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Hi Fastlaners,

Does anyone have experience with online information tracking? For example, Weight Watchers allows members to login and enter the information of the food they ate that day. The WW site then saves that info.

I'm looking for a starting point with creating a membership page that allows users to login to their own personal page and then enter their information. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a simple way of allowing members to enter info and save it for the next time they login. For example, a marathoner would enter the number of miles they ran that day, and the time in which they ran those miles. The page would then save their data, and they can then login the following day and continue to track their information.

Where do I begin? I've been searching Google, and primarily what comes up are ways to "track" the people who are visiting your website, which isn't the goal here.

Thanks for your ideas!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

Hi Fastlaners,

Does anyone have experience with online information tracking? For example, Weight Watchers allows members to login and enter the information of the food they ate that day. The WW site then saves that info.

I'm looking for a starting point with creating a membership page that allows users to login to their own personal page and then enter their information. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a simple way of allowing members to enter info and save it for the next time they login. For example, a marathoner would enter the number of miles they ran that day, and the time in which they ran those miles. The page would then save their data, and they can then login the following day and continue to track their information.

Where do I begin? I've been searching Google, and primarily what comes up are ways to "track" the people who are visiting your website, which isn't the goal here.

Thanks for your ideas!

I've been grappling with this concept myself. In my research it looks like there are two routes; off the shelf or hard coded. Off the shelf is a pre-made shell with data capture objects and encryption built in - not cheap. Conversely, you could take the red pill and code it. You would need to know SQL to build a database, how to encrypt it so people's data are not publicly accessible, and how to wrap it in a user interface (probably java or some object-oriented variant).

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I've been grappling with this concept myself. In my research it looks like there are two routes; off the shelf or hard coded. Off the shelf is a pre-made shell with data capture objects and encryption built in - not cheap. Conversely, you could take the red pill and code it. You would need to know SQL to build a database, how to encrypt it so people's data are not publicly accessible, and how to wrap it in a user interface (probably java or some object-oriented variant).

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Which option are you leaning toward?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi Fastlaners,

Thanks for your ideas!

Wordpress almost certainly has a theme or plugin that does exactly what you need for $100 or less.

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
Hi Fastlaners,

Thanks for your ideas!
Two things you need to do research on, to start with PHP & MySQL Plus HTMl & CSS if you are trying to make the site look pretty. Your HTML is going to have your login boxes (Username & Password). PHP is going to take what the user has put into those boxes, and cross check it to your MySQL database(think excel). If the information that was entered matches a listing in the database, then you can log them into that account, if not you can show them an error message. This is not a coding forum, my first online coding class that taught me everything was by Rob Percival on Udemy. Taught me HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, & MySQL. Even went through some basic examples of how to build exactly what you're talking about. This is if you want to take the long road and learn it for yourself. If not, I'm sure there is a cheating way that you could do it by hand.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Wordpress almost certainly has a theme or plugin that does exactly what you need for $100 or less.

I'm going to check it out later today. Do you know what link/phrase I'm looking for that would be associated with what you're referring to? Appreciate it brother!

raddevon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 20, 2017
Seattle, WA USA
You might try Bubble. It's a drag-and-drop web app creation tool. It looks like it's going to have a fairly steep learning curve but probably not as steep as learning web development from scratch.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
You might try Bubble. It's a drag-and-drop web app creation tool. It looks like it's going to have a fairly steep learning curve but probably not as steep as learning web development from scratch.
Interesting! Thank you.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
If you go the WP route, Wishlist Member or MemberMouse will do most of what you want right out of the box. These will also have a somewhat less steep learning curve than coding a secure PHP + SQL web app from scratch.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.