The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My idea

Idea threads

_businessman05

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 20, 2021
I'm going to get my own computer in August. I was wondering what business could i do online. Maybe i learn coding and create my own app? Maybe i design websites for small businesses? You can share ideas and give tips and tricks if you want.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sudakshina

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 13, 2021
I'm going to get my own computer in August. I was wondering what business could i do online. Maybe i learn coding and create my own app? Maybe i design websites for small businesses? You can share ideas and give tips and tricks if you want.
I don't know about all the things you could do on a computer, but I surely know about web development. It's pretty easy for you to get started. You can also give freelancing a shot once you've learnt that. It's also not that time consuming so you could always keep that as a side hustle and you'll still be left with enough time to do other works

_businessman05

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 20, 2021
I don't know about all the things you could do on a computer, but I surely know about web development. It's pretty easy for you to get started. You can also give freelancing a shot once you've learnt that. It's also not that time consuming so you could always keep that as a side hustle and you'll still be left with enough time to do other works
Thank you for your answer

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Let the market tell you what to do.

Do market research, find painful/urgent problems people want solved, engage with those you want to serve, find out exactly why the problem is urgent/painful, what it would mean if they had a solution, what they'd be willing to pay for a solution.... THEN come up with a solution; that might be a digital course, it might be an app, it might be a physical product, it might be a website to connect A with B..... but first find the problem, then think about what you'll create.

_businessman05

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 20, 2021
Let the market tell you what to do.

Do market research, find painful/urgent problems people want solved, engage with those you want to serve, find out exactly why the problem is urgent/painful, what it would mean if they had a solution, what they'd be willing to pay for a solution.... THEN come up with a solution; that might be a digital course, it might be an app, it might be a physical product, it might be a website to connect A with B..... but first find the problem, then think about what you'll create.
Very good answer! I respect the fact that this forum has appropiete users.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Very good answer! I respect the fact that this forum has appropiete users.

Imagine being a doctor and the nurse tells you, the next patient is ready... and before you know what their problem is, you're telling the nurse to prepare the surgery room, because you feel like operating on the next patient.

But it turns out the patient just has a persistent cough and wants your opinion on it. Like come on, you can't be a doctor like that, first find out what the problem is, then decide how you're going to treat the patient. :):):smile2::playful:

PhilKowalski

Always gets what he deserves
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Imagine being a doctor and the nurse tells you, the next patient is ready... and before you know what their problem is, you're telling the nurse to prepare the surgery room, because you feel like operating on the next patient.

But it turns out the patient just has a persistent cough and wants your opinion on it. Like come on, you can't be a doctor like that, first find out what the problem is, then decide how you're going to treat the patient. :):):smile2::playful:
If you're into coding, maybe something like data analytics can be a way to go, just to give you a concrete idea.

Let me give you an example:

These days every business and their mother, especially in the B2B niche, run their business relying heavily on Excel. And a lot of people hate it. Here's what they do:
  • they create forms (for approvals and stuff) in Excel
  • they do reporting in Excel
  • they do presentations in Excel
  • they do dashboards in Excel
  • they do predictions in Excel
Why do they hate it (pain)?
  • it's error prone
  • it's VERY manual and especially VERY redundant work (lots of copy and paste)
  • it's painful when it comes to sharing information / results
The solution (you could focus on)?

An open source (as in no license cost) analytics platform called KNIME (google it).
  • offer KNIME workflows to automate their Excel work
  • offer an online course explaining KNIME for business
How do you get there (if you don't know KNIME at all)?
  • Invest 20 bucks and buy their excellent ebook "KNIME beginners luck" to learn the tool inside out
    • not only do you learn this low code / no code tool, but you will learn a lot of valuable (attention ⚠️ buzzword alert) data science stuff along the way
This is a concrete way to learn a valuable skill (very heavily requested) and offer value to your customers

Disclaimer: I am a big fan of KNIME but in no way associated with them. I have used this heavily in my employment and - although still in a rat race - it opened up new ideas and perspectives (see above).

Just my 0.02

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
If you're into coding, maybe something like data analytics can be a way to go, just to give you a concrete idea.

Let me give you an example:

These days every business and their mother, especially in the B2B niche, run their business relying heavily on Excel. And a lot of people hate it. Here's what they do:
  • they create forms (for approvals and stuff) in Excel
  • they do reporting in Excel
  • they do presentations in Excel
  • they do dashboards in Excel
  • they do predictions in Excel
Why do they hate it (pain)?
  • it's error prone
  • it's VERY manual and especially VERY redundant work (lots of copy and paste)
  • it's painful when it comes to sharing information / results
The solution (you could focus on)?

An open source (as in no license cost) analytics platform called KNIME (google it).
  • offer KNIME workflows to automate their Excel work
  • offer an online course explaining KNIME for business
How do you get there (if you don't know KNIME at all)?
  • Invest 20 bucks and buy their excellent ebook "KNIME beginners luck" to learn the tool inside out
    • not only do you learn this low code / no code tool, but you will learn a lot of valuable (attention ⚠️ buzzword alert) data science stuff along the way
This is a concrete way to learn a valuable skill (very heavily requested) and offer value to your customers

Disclaimer: I am a big fan of KNIME but in no way associated with them. I have used this heavily in my employment and - although still in a rat race - it opened up new ideas and perspectives (see above).

Just my 0.02

Kinda goes against exactly what I just said.

You have already decided "I'm a coder, let me find someone and code for them." How about you find someone that has a problem first... and learn everything you can about their problem, maybe you don't need to code something, maybe you need to create a short video course that teaches them the best practices of excel.... but NOPE, you've already decided, I'm a coder and I like this coding program called KNIME, now I'm going to push it on you somehow.

PhilKowalski

Always gets what he deserves
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Kinda goes against exactly what I just said.

You have already decided "I'm a coder, let me find someone and code for them." How about you find someone that has a problem first... and learn everything you can about their problem, maybe you don't need to code something, maybe you need to create a short video course that teaches them the best practices of excel.... but NOPE, you've already decided, I'm a coder and I like this coding program called KNIME, now I'm going to push it on you somehow.
Hi @100k ...

sorry, but are we confusing users here? I was not the original person who started the thread.

It was just an idea to make it more tangible than "I have a computer, what can I do"

I am 100% with you when it comes to defining the problem first, that would also 100% work with what I said. It's just a little bit more specific. Try to find a problem first, become a problem solver. All I did is narrow it down to a specific group of people (business Excel users) and suggest a way to make it more concrete.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Hi @100k ...

sorry, but are we confusing users here? I was not the original person who started the thread.

It was just an idea to make it more tangible than "I have a computer, what can I do"

I am 100% with you when it comes to defining the problem first, that would also 100% work with what I said. It's just a little bit more specific. Try to find a problem first, become a problem solver. All I did is narrow it down to a specific group of people (business Excel users) and suggest a way to make it more concrete.

Not confused at all mate.

Its fine. Your example only works if you are scratching your own itch, i.e you have that problem and know it well - then by all means, you have already figured out how to fix the problem and saved yourself time/money, then why not productize it and help others in your shoes.

Have a good day.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
idk man have you tried starting a high quality car paintshop that makes a whopping 10k a month (slightly expensier than average)

_businessman05

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 20, 2021
idk man have you tried starting a high quality car paintshop that makes a whopping 10k a month (slightly expensier than average)

No, I'm 16 years old. I was asking your opinion about if it would be a viable fastlane.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
No, I'm 16 years old. I was asking your opinion about if it would be a viable fastlane.
ah, I thought you were older. Sorry for being mean.

I would recommend finding something low-cost, local, and in high demand to start. Like a home services business. You could make 100k this year and use that to move into another industry or start a different type of business. I like online businesses too just as much as the next guy, but it's easy to get sucked into another stupid idea that somebody with a course sells you. Most 'online businesses' are terrible ideas when you're a young guy starting out.

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Check out this, maybe will help:

Please SEARCH before posting.