The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Massive Delays in Chinese Production

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
One member has asked me about a notice he had received warning of serious production delays, so I decided that I should warn all who are buying from Chinese suppliers.

The China's National People's Congress will be held in Beijing in Fall this year. Since as early as February, the Chinese Government has been cracking down heavily on polluting industries nationwide, but with particular emphasis on 28 cities in the Beijing-Hebei-Tianjin region.

They have gone so far as to cut off power supplies to some areas, but I have not been able to ascertain whether that is for short periods or long term.

This issue could affect factories right across the country, as orders are shuffled around from place to place to try to keep customers happy.

There are considerable family ties in the Chinese business world, so if one owner has the problem and a relative is able to help out in another area they will do so.

This could result in delays to orders in regions outside those most severely affected.

I suggest that all who have orders awaiting production should check with their suppliers to see if there is any risk of delays. Try to work with them, and don't be angry. Patience and a cooperative approach will mean a lot more during such a time when they are under stress.

Remember the importance of Quanxi.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
One member has asked me about a notice he had received warning of serious production delays, so I decided that I should warn all who are buying from Chinese suppliers.

The China's National People's Congress will be held in Beijing in Fall this year. Since as early as February, the Chinese Government has been cracking down heavily on polluting industries nationwide, but with particular emphasis on 28 cities in the Beijing-Hebei-Tianjin region.

They have gone so far as to cut off power supplies to some areas, but I have not been able to ascertain whether that is for short periods or long term.

This issue could affect factories right across the country, as orders are shuffled around from place to place to try to keep customers happy.

There are considerable family ties in the Chinese business world, so if one owner has the problem and a relative is able to help out in another area they will do so.

This could result in delays to orders in regions outside those most severely affected.

I suggest that all who have orders awaiting production should check with their suppliers to see if there is any risk of delays. Try to work with them, and don't be angry. Patience and a cooperative approach will mean a lot more during such a time when they are under stress.

Walter

I've had two suppliers with delays due to pollution inspections so far.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Thanks for posting @Walter Hay

I had 3 factories shut down this week, I found out on Thursday. A friend had more (and has been dealing with small shutdowns/inspections all year long) and he tipped me off on Monday that this was coming and that it was related to the Communist congress.

Word on the street from the EPA agents for this round of shutdowns is "a couple weeks" or "September 11th". Not sure how reliable that information is, but it's all I've got at the moment.

Total bummer, as I was scheduled to ship my first order of product this week, and half of my container has been pre-sold to customers already. My customers were pretty understanding, but they won't be understanding forever...

I really hope things get moving soon.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto

Walter

Good to know Walter, thanks. I've been experiencing small delays with a couple of factories since last week due to the typhoon. I feel some have used it as an excuse for their shipment delays. One factory has mentioned the typhoon for one week already. Another was delayed only 1 day due to the typhoon.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If any of your production inputs are pollution correlated, then expect increased costs.

The price of aluminum jumped over 10% the past couple weeks. That's a result of the government shutting down 9% of the smelting capacity in all of China. Same for steel, brass, etc.

In my limited opinion, this isn't just related to the People's Congress. The government is shifting production capacity from China to other countries. They have offered incentives to top factories and are pushing that they set up in Southeast Asia, etc.

The cost of labor in China is too high and the factories can't stay competitive forever. The people have money now and want clean air. Factories are going to leave China, and the government will push for it in a way that allows to keep control.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Total bummer, as I was scheduled to ship my first order of product this week, and half of my container has been pre-sold to customers already. My customers were pretty understanding, but they won't be understanding forever...

I really hope things get moving soon.

You need to start inventorying.

Anytime there's a delay, you're not getting paid. That's an inefficiency and one that's easy to solve.

Run a calculation on cash flow and the present value of holding inventory vs what you're currently doing (likely just in time production).

If you lose a month in sales, how much money do you lose? If you lose a customer from a delay, how much in long term value do you lose?

Once you have those numbers, calculate how much a warehouse costs, and how much in capital outlay there would be for more inventory. Then figure out if it's worth it.

If you want to warehouse overseas then that's also an option. Reputable freight forwarding companies will warehouse your inventory for a fraction of what you'd warehouse in America.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
You need to start inventorying.

Anytime there's a delay, you're not getting paid. That's an inefficiency and one that's easy to solve.

Run a calculation on cash flow and the present value of holding inventory vs what you're currently doing (likely just in time production).

If you lose a month in sales, how much money do you lose? If you lose a customer from a delay, how much in long term value do you lose?

Once you have those numbers, calculate how much a warehouse costs, and how much in capital outlay there would be for more inventory. Then figure out if it's worth it.

If you want to warehouse overseas then that's also an option. Reputable freight forwarding companies will warehouse your inventory for a fraction of what you'd warehouse in America.

Thanks for the tips.

I've got a warehouse, so storing isn't a problem. This is my first order for this company, so this is all a bit of a test run. I should re-order now to stay in stock, but am not going to, because I want to see what the quality of the first container is going to be first.

Hope to have my other business sold soon (close date of 9/22), so the capital should be there to roll out in a big way in 2018.

2018 I will do the projections to stay in stock, and will factor in a 4-6 weeks of delays into the timeline.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.