The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning economics

Byakko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Hello people! I'm looking into learning more about economics. I believe that kind of knowledge is always good to have. Do you have any recommendation about books or other mediums where I could start/continue learning from ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jozuysal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 5, 2017
istanbul
Hello people! I'm looking into learning more about economics. I believe that kind of knowledge is always good to have. Do you have any recommendation about books or other mediums where I could start/continue learning from ?
Hey I work as an investment banker , what exactly are you trying to learn , I f you could tell me I can recommend you few books

Byakko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Hey I work as an investment banker , what exactly are you trying to learn , I f you could tell me I can recommend you few books

Hi! Thank you for answering. I would like to learn more about topics like "What makes an economy to grow", "What make an economy to crash" and "Monetary systems"

Jozuysal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 5, 2017
istanbul
Hi! Thank you for answering. I would like to learn more about topics like "What makes an economy to grow", "What make an economy to crash" and "Monetary systems"
Hi , I would recommend you to read these books;
-Economics For Dummies (This book is very easy to understand you will get a better understanding of how economy works.)
-Economics in One Lesson( Great book as well its little bit harder to understand than the first book I recommended, you can read the first one and than you can also read this one to improve your understand of economics)
-The Secret of Economic Indicators( This book is more advanced but I think you should read this to understand the major economic indicators, so you can interpret the data such as GDP growth,CPI,Non Farm Payrolls... There are many economic data but you only need to know few important ones and this book will help you to understand the important ones, so dont worry you dont need to learn every single one of the indicators.)

I hope this would help you , good luck

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
This is a pretty popular video on Economics:

I have the book Economics In One Lesson on PDF if you would like a copy of it.

Byakko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
This is a pretty popular video on Economics:

I have the book Economics In One Lesson on PDF if you would like a copy of it.

That video is gold without a doubt! Thank you, but I will get the audio version. Need to have something to listen to while driving and cooking haha.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 12, 2016
calgary, alberta canada
Anyone here thought of using Ray Dalio's Video on how the economy works, to use to invest in? it is obvious that there are cycles in the different investment instruments where you can go long on some and short on others and pretty much park your money there and let the market do it's work to get you rich.

Byakko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
View attachment 16293 These two books are among the best in their class. While I vehemently protest communism in any form, Marx's insight into labor, resources, and capital provides much more than a foundational understanding of economics.
First time coming across those books. Currently I'm reading How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes, by Peter D. Schiff. I'm really enjoying the book, it really manages to explain economy in a simples matter. After this one I'll probably be reading Economics In One Lesson. Then I'll take a look on those ones, since it looks like they are more advanced. Thanks!

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
My favorite economics book, by far, is Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell. There isn't a single equation in the entire book, but he manages to articulate the concepts of supply, demand, labor, and resources extremely clearly. And he doesn't use theoretical idealized models either - he manages to always stay grounded in reality, with all its warts.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Anything written by Milton Freidman is a good bet.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
My favorite economics book, by far, is Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell. There isn't a single equation in the entire book, but he manages to articulate the concepts of supply, demand, labor, and resources extremely clearly. And he doesn't use theoretical idealized models either - he manages to always stay grounded in reality, with all its warts.

I was going to suggest this as the first book to read. It is a fantastic read!

While I respect Ray Dalio as one of the best Hedge Fund Managers, given my history with finance and where I come from I take a lot of the advice from these guys as suspect until you have the funds to play with a Money System. I am pretty sure this was well covered in Unscripted so nothing I can add to that if you read it. Just be wary. Also to join his funds, if he even opened them up (I believe they are currently closed anyway) takes a great deal more money than most have laying around.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
I majored in Economics. I wouldn't recommend an economics book for a person who wants applicable knowledge of economics. People misunderstand economics to think you learn about the economy, which you do. but there are differences in the TYPE of economics you learn.

Economics is the study of the allocation of scarce resource, to put it simply. Learning it will teach your mind to think differently, how to think in terms of units, distribution, and big picture. I found my thinking is vastly different than those that majored in humanities or art.

Just take Econ 1 and 2. macro and micro.

If you want to learn quickly and with a shortcut, use the CPA exam study materials under the BEC section and it covers economics not deeply but broadly in the beginning. (CPA exam has 4 sections, FAR, REG, AUD, BEC)

Khan Academy has videos on it I think

Last edited:

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
"How an economy grows and why it crashes" by Peter Schiff.

Check out Thomas Woods, Peter Schiff and Murray Rothbard. They belong to the Austrian school of economic thought. They're the real deal. They predict every crash and explain exactly why they happen. Unlike the mainstream economists that have been wrong every single time yet somehow people think they still have credibility.

Thomas woods and peter Schiff both have podcasts you can check out.

Last edited:

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
And yes, "economics in one lesson" is a classic.

Byakko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
"How an economy grows and why it crashes" by Peter Schiff.

Check out Thomas Woods, Peter Schiff and Murray Rothbard. They belong to the Austrian school of economic thought. They're the real deal. They predict every crash and explain exactly why it happens. Unlike the mainstream economists that have been wrong every single time yet somehow people think they still have credibility.

Thomas woods and peter Schiff both have podcasts you can check out.

I'm currently reading that one. It's been an amazing journey. Didn't know about the other two, I'll definitely check them out!

Byakko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
He was recently on the JRE podcast, I enjoyed the episode

The JRE podcast definitely has some interesting episodes. Loved the part where they talk about minimum wages. It's a shame almost no one thinks like this.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
The whole PBS series "Free to Choose" that Milton Friedman made in the 80s can be found on YouTube.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.